7.8

1. May 27, 2015
    This was my 1st Final Fantasy Game and my first impressions of it were not good let me tell ya. I used to hate this game I wanted to throw it out the window but for some reason I didn't.

~ Story ~ The story starts off with Reks who in my opinion would have made a better protagonist than Vaan but lets move on. After doing Roxas's Story I mean Reks Story you move on to Sora's Story I

~ Story ~

The story starts off with Reks who in my opinion would have made a better protagonist than Vaan but lets move on. After doing Roxas's Story I mean Reks Story you move on to Sora's Story I mean Vaan's Story. It starts off like this Vaan kills some rats than he goes on a hunting quest to kill a tomato so he can make tomato soup than he goes to Giza Plains to make a sunstone because the game wants to kill time. After that Vaan decides to go steal from the Castle Treasury because he read too many Sly Cooper Comics everything goes accordingly until he runs into Fran & Balthier and from there Vaan's long adventure begins.

In all seriousness the story is actually political and war like and I love that. I also love the dialogue in this game even if there isn't enough of it. Overall decent story.

~ Characters ~

Vaan - he wants revenge against the empire that stole his home of Dalmasca and his brother Reks. I consider Vaan a team player even if others don't. Vaan's outfit sucks I have no idea what Tetsuya Nomura was thinking.

Penelo - has no role in this story other than to watch over Vaan she really has no purpose in this story whatsoever and I don't consider her a team player.

Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca - She seeks peace yet also looms towards revenge she seeks to fight yet questions the methods for which she should do so she is a very interesting character and I wish she had more dialogue.

Basch Fon Rosenberg - A Fugitive seeking to atone for crimes he didn't commit. Freedom has blessed him with a chance to redeem himself and to free Dalmasca of Archadian Rule.

Balthier - The best character in this game and the guy Vaan aspires to become in the future.

Fran - She needs way more dialogue time. And her ears are just weird.

~ Sound ~

Not the best music ever but I did enjoy Soundtrack moderately. Some of the songs in the game now give me huge nostalgia and I like them more than I did when I 1st started playing this game.

~ Graphics ~

If only you were here you would hear me whistling to the masterpiece of FFXII's Graphics. My only issue is the attack & magic animations look kind of lame sometimes.

~ Gameplay ~

Waiting For An Attack - This was why I hated this game. You have to wait for a bar to load to attack? What kind of stupid **** is this?[In my head]. The characters have no abilities at all you only have Attack Techniks and various Magic Spells. Enemies all have different abilities and magic attacks what do you have? Oh you only have Attack useless Techniks & Magic wow. The game does get better and alot more fun as you move along since the bar loads way faster and you get Haste which speeds it up even more.

Mist Quickening - This is basically your trump card if your about to die or you just want to beat a boss quickly. But it takes away all your MP and you have to continuously press R2 and then press 1 of either Triangle Square Circle or X Buttons to do it right, you miss and all your MP is gone no take backs or do overs and if you need to heal your party your pretty much screwed unless you brought enough potions.

License Board - I love the License Board why? Because it looks so cool I feel like I'm playing a game inside a game when I use it. To gain the use of weapons armor magic techniks quickenings or summons you get in the game you need to get the License for it in the License Board through the use of LP[License Points] you'll get License Points from defeating monsters. The License Board can restrict things sometimes but I still think its fun to use and its not hard to get LP.

Gambits - Gambits are basically auto commands you set up in the main menu such as - Attack Nearby Enemies or When Poisoned - Use Antidote they come in useful for some situations like when your fighting a boss and you don't feel like using an Antidote while your fighting set up a Gambit for Balthier to use an antidote on you so you don't have to. There's alot of Gambits, you'll either find some or buy some.

Overall - The Gameplay is fun even if waiting for a bar to load to attack sounds stupid and retarded it is fun.

~ In The End ~

In the beginning I considered FFXII to be the worst game I ever played and I wished to throw into the deepest depths of fiery hell and watch it burn in the fire but after 3 years of trying to beat this stupid game the FFXII Strategy Guide my friend gave me and me beating the game again twice enjoying it alot more than the 1st time I have to say this is 1 of my favorite PS2 Games and I love it alot and I hope others will love it as well
  2. May 3, 2015
    Final Fantasy XII is simply a masterpiece in every single aspect of the game, this work of art should be undoubtedly fully enjoyed by those more mature gamers.
  3. Jan 5, 2015
    My favorite of all the final fantasy games, truly a work of art, even today most new gen console games can't hold a candle to this in terms of story, character development, combat/Strategy and environment.
    If we get a HD remake I'll buy it in heart beat.
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    I've played nearly every core game in the Final Fantasy, and this one has my favorite battle system. Your characters run around and fight in real time instead of having to wait through a cut scene animation for every battle.

The story is a bit weak compared to other games in the series. There are amazing characters, but I don't feel like the game spent enough time developing them. That is to say, the story was still better than what you'll find in most other games, but it wasn't Final Fantasy quality. However, the battle system totally makes up for it. 10/10 for enjoyment.
  5. Nov 2, 2014
    For a Final Fantasy game, it's not great. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good game, but not FF VI or VII quality. I started to question the series when XI came out. I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's and when I looked at the combat in this game, and saw how similar it looked to XI, I was hesitant to get it. But I got it because of my inner fanboy. The gameplay worked out well in the end,For a Final Fantasy game, it's not great. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good game, but not FF VI or VII quality. I started to question the series when XI came out. I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's and when I looked at the combat in this game, and saw how similar it looked to XI, I was hesitant to get it. But I got it because of my inner fanboy. The gameplay worked out well in the end, although it's not the most engaging for me. The story took a lot of ideas from Star Wars making this game pretty unoriginal. Although, the environments, and the lengthy gameplay made up for some of its flaws. One of my biggest complaints though, would have to be the main character. Like many people have said, he's pretty much pointless to the story and you can finish the game without even leveling him up after getting more party members. But again, a lot of its strong points make up for these flaws in the game. If you're looking for a game to start the FF series with, don't start with this. But, if you are already familiar with the series, then give this a try. 9/10 Expand
  6. Oct 19, 2014
    This game is my favorite PS2 game of all time! I know there are many people that don't like this game, but thats probably because they are used to the old style final fantasy games of turn-based and random encounters. Final Fantasy XII gets rid of that and lets you choose which enemies to fight, when to fight them, and how to fight them. The "how to fight them" part is where the gambitsThis game is my favorite PS2 game of all time! I know there are many people that don't like this game, but thats probably because they are used to the old style final fantasy games of turn-based and random encounters. Final Fantasy XII gets rid of that and lets you choose which enemies to fight, when to fight them, and how to fight them. The "how to fight them" part is where the gambits come into play. Gambits are automatic commands that excute under certain conditions and can be set up for each of the characters. For example, instead of repeatedly pressing attack when your ATB gauge fills up, you can set up a gambit to do that for you. This eliminates the repetitive and time consuming process of navigating through the menus to find the action you wish to take. Gambits are prioritized with the most important at the top of the list and the least important at the bottom. As you progress through the game however, the large diversity of gambits combined with the growing number of gambits you can set up can make the game (if done properly) play by itself without needing your input. So I recommend that you only use a few basic gambits to make sure that doesn't happen.

Here are some pros and cons to the game:

Pros:
    - excellent battle system (no random encounters; enemies are seen from a distance and battles are done in real time without switching between exploration mode and battle mode)
    - gambits make battles much more convenient
    - open world; many large areas in the game to explore (and freedom to do so)
    - many optional quests gives more gameplay value
    - boss fights are fun
    - freedom to customize characters' weapons, armor, and abilities.
    - graphics are amazing! (for PS2)
    - great diverse soundtrack
    - story is good (if understood)
    - The world of Ivalice and its history is excellently created
    - lots of optional character interaction

Cons:
    - gambits may make the game play by itself
    - story is boring and sometimes confusing
    - main characters aren't really interesting and don't go through much change througout the story
    - boss fights can be very long at times (but depending on your play-style, it can be a pro or con)

Basically, this is kind of like a single player MMO because of all the freedoms this game allows you to have. If you are a fan of MMOs and don't mind the single player aspect, this is the game for you!

A masterpiece of the PS2 era and a definite 10/10!
  7. Sep 14, 2014
    Epico e grandioso, com uma grande historia , jogabilidade e suas sideguest o jogo o prende por horas sem vc nem ao menos perceber. Mas um grande Final Fantasy da Square.
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    One of the if not THE best game on PS2.
    +This game features an exceptional open world with easily the best graphics on PS2. One of the best soundtracks ever (approx 5 hours of top quality OST).
    +The combat system is the most innovative and original I have ever seen in an RPG. (the gambit system rules). It may be a bit complex at first, but you soon get used to it. +The game itself is
    One of the if not THE best game on PS2.
    +The game itself is full of content (well over 200 hours of gameplay without getting bored).
    +The characters are very likeable (balthier ftw).
    Frankly, if you have a PS2 or an emulator on your PC or just want to check this game out, don't hesitate. It deserves it's critic rating and is easily one of the best games ever made.
    You can see that the developpers made everything in detail for example when you see that weather conditions affect the usefullness of your weapons, or that some enemies will detect you based on smell, some on hearing, some on vision, and some (like the undead for example) when you have less than 40% HP.
    I think this is enough to see at what extent the developpers wanted to make the perfect game and its really not far from that.
    If there was a negative point I could come up with it's that there are some things that you can not know without going on the wiki or having a walkthrough.
    Apart from that, this game is 10++/10. Definitely a must have.
  9. Ogr
    Jun 28, 2014
    To make it short: FFXII is a great game and in my opinion better than FFX, critics show that they are equal but many fans seem to be disappointed by FFXII... I think it's because the usual Final Fantasy Fan wants a love story and doesn't like a more free to explore world and a political based story, FFXII is more adult than FFX.

FFXII has the better combat system, tons of stuff to do

FFXII has the better combat system, tons of stuff to do and explore, a great looking world and a nice (not great) story with no real main character... what I actually like.
  10. Apr 16, 2014
    People have been saying that every Final Fantasy under the Square Enix title has sucked, but with XII it is not so. With a great story, an incredibly large open world, a well designed combat system, good soundtrack, and an extremely complex but very fun gameplay. Final Fantasy 12 is definitely my favorite of all the Final Fantasy games.
  11. Apr 6, 2014
    Is there something wrong? Why do I see all the negatives? The hate? Have the other Final Fantasies turned you all haters into fanboys/fangirls? Peace friends!

For one, I love this game. It develops an imaginatory, that's right, storyline and YOU decide the story for your characters. It was time Square let people imagine, not just sit lazy and take in the video game itself. The story is full of betrayal, drama, humor (Balthier), and unpredictability... So don't your dare review FF XII without completing it!

I can assume the haters are rushing the game to simply put it, skipping plotlines and not caring to enjoy the scenery. Why? Well guaranteed you are in favor of another Final Fantasy (VII, like always...) But anyway, the story needs your imagination. That's what Square did. Really smart eh?

As for the gameplay... Gambits unlock a whole ton of options/accessibility for the players to experiment with and test with. A ton. Thousands of limitless ideas.... As for that, you can also toggle gambits off if you aren't in favor of that general idea.

The scenery and visuals, are in one word, stunning. Have you ever took the time to look at the architecture of each city? Dungeon? You should.

The soundtrack takes time to listen to and stick it to your head. Eventually, it will fit in with the theme like a puzzle piece. It is performed orchestrally unlike its predecessors instead of using computerized music which was the case for all the earlier Final Fantasy series.

I won't spoil the secondaries, but there are a TON of things to do in FF XII... Filling your bestiary/monsterpedia, obtaining all items, completing the "bounties" ( Won't spoil the name), and items to find et cetera.

The beginning starts out as a Star Wars replica like stated before, but eventually the pod blooms and the story opens up... into the Final Fantasy XII. The beginning isn't even a fun game, but that was Square's smart move. After you continue the story of FF XII the story all ties in together and oh my, the goosebumps you will get later on. After you finish the game you'll hit the climax and will really miss the game...

Whoever reviewed this game poorly probably is suffering from a long-term headache, is a fanboy/fangirl of another Final Fantasy game, did not get into the "fun boundary", as I stated above, or simply did not complete the game. I am a laxative person and I enjoy games and dislike games, but this game is a like, or love, for me.
  12. Mar 25, 2014
    When I started a game I was shocked with number of critics about this FF. I wanted to try it and... damn, that's a great game! At the moment I'm after hmm, around 20 hours of playing and I must admit that it's really hard to get bored with this FF. For me new battle style, leveling method etc., all this things are just perfect. For me, now, it's definitely the best FF out there. Story andWhen I started a game I was shocked with number of critics about this FF. I wanted to try it and... damn, that's a great game! At the moment I'm after hmm, around 20 hours of playing and I must admit that it's really hard to get bored with this FF. For me new battle style, leveling method etc., all this things are just perfect. For me, now, it's definitely the best FF out there. Story and characters are great too. Main char is empty and boring? Please... he's 100x better and less annoying than Tidus! He could be his father as well, in the mature of the nature meaning. Open world is great too! Generally, this is THE MUST PLAY jRPG for console. Absolutely. Expand
  13. Mar 10, 2014
    Back in the day this was one of the greatest games in the PS2 era, sadly it was bashed by a lot of hate because of the direction it took, and although the main character wasn't main at all, this game screams FF all over it.
  14. Jan 1, 2014
    Games in the series FF are my favorite. I burn with love for Final Fantasy VIII, but XII is also great! Games differ radically: Final Fantasy XII has new characters, story, combat system, open and different world, and of course the graphics and music. Twelfth part series leading Square Enix uses all the possibilities PS2 and more! Rendered animations are just beautiful, moreover, the sameGames in the series FF are my favorite. I burn with love for Final Fantasy VIII, but XII is also great! Games differ radically: Final Fantasy XII has new characters, story, combat system, open and different world, and of course the graphics and music. Twelfth part series leading Square Enix uses all the possibilities PS2 and more! Rendered animations are just beautiful, moreover, the same goes for textures. The characters are designed with the idea and I curiously followed their fate. The new combat system was difficult for me to get used to but I managed, and finally I really liked.It is very different from that of the eighth part of the FF but I really liked him. I believe that the game 100 percent deserved 10/10 from PlayStation magazine. I hope you enjoy it too Expand
  15. Dec 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed this one! Final Fantasy XII has a great political fantasy story. The story stays compelling and interesting and it doesn't fall on it's self. Diverse cast of characters and they are all memorable. Also the character development is great. Licenceboard system is great and new gameplay is very deep. Every RPG fun should check this out.
  16. Dec 12, 2013
    Totally awesome game. Its quite a change from the turn base combat system. It feels MMO-like but you build the AI via gambits. Takes a little time to get used to the gambit system, but it become very powerful and handy for grinding exp.
  17. Nov 26, 2013
    On the subject of the game play only, FF-XII introduces a new type of battle mechanic unique to the Final Fantasy games. It gives an air of pseudo-real time combat which strays from Final Fantasy's traditional turn-based actions. Its innovative and adds to the level of immersion because it deliberately demands one's attention. The player technically only ever controls one of the threeOn the subject of the game play only, FF-XII introduces a new type of battle mechanic unique to the Final Fantasy games. It gives an air of pseudo-real time combat which strays from Final Fantasy's traditional turn-based actions. Its innovative and adds to the level of immersion because it deliberately demands one's attention. The player technically only ever controls one of the three characters at a time, as the other two are governed by AI and a new system called "Gambits" which are basically a set of instructions and priorities programmed by the player for the character AIs to follow. This allows the player to essentially control their entire team at once while being in an pseudo-real time battle. Understanding the functionality of gambits will consume time, as it requires experimentation and strategy. Players will need carefully crafted gambits to tackle the most difficult of bosses. Expand
  18. Nov 13, 2013
    A near masterpiece that will enthral you in it's countless moments of magnificence. Aside from the slow start (which might have trended certain people away from the game's true beauty), the game deserves all the praises it gets, as once you pass those sluggish hours, you'll find yourself spending countless, unregrettable hours in the endless, outstanding world of Final Fantasy XII.
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    This is probably the best Final Fantasy game so far, in my opinion, this great tale of deception and political war games bring true thrill to those who seek the finest in storytelling. The battle system is different from it's predecessors, but it works very well. You don't need to worry about cheesy clichés that plague your average RPG, this is a grown up Final Fantasy title and it isThis is probably the best Final Fantasy game so far, in my opinion, this great tale of deception and political war games bring true thrill to those who seek the finest in storytelling. The battle system is different from it's predecessors, but it works very well. You don't need to worry about cheesy clichés that plague your average RPG, this is a grown up Final Fantasy title and it is waiting for open minds to play it. Expand
  20. Sep 20, 2013
    I only played this in 2013 on a ps2 emulator (4x resolution) and it was one the best game experiences I"ve had in a long time! (and I play a sht ton of games) It truly is a beautiful RPG with a very good story, massive world and deep gameplay.
    I didn't mind at all the supposedly negative MMO influences, at the contrary it feels so natural in the context of open world mechanics. Nice new touch compared to the usual ATB/RTB battle systems and I even loved the gambit system which a lot of people seem to complain about.

Graphics are unbelievably good for a ps2 game and one of the best examples where an increased internal resolution on the emulator can make a huge difference in overall quality to the point it doesn't seem you are playing a 2006 game at all.

The music is simply perfect, I may be old style but it's hard to beat well made symphonic soundtracks. (compared to most of the electronic uninspired garbage 99% of games use today)

It may have some minor gameplay issues but overall I just love everything about this game, I don't really care if it is a "true" FF game or not, it simply is a wonderful experience and I strongly encourage anyone to give it a try on the pcsx2 emulator on pc even if you have played it 9 years ago.
  21. Sep 10, 2013
    I'm gonna be blunt since this game has been out for a long time, I've played it twice at its release and I've played through it again and I can only say this game is amazing. Not only is the battle system progressive, it even lets you choose how your AI functions (it's still better than FFXIII's). The story is deep and even though the characters aren't that profound (according to some),I'm gonna be blunt since this game has been out for a long time, I've played it twice at its release and I've played through it again and I can only say this game is amazing. Not only is the battle system progressive, it even lets you choose how your AI functions (it's still better than FFXIII's). The story is deep and even though the characters aren't that profound (according to some), you never wonder why the hell they're there instead of just leaving. This game really is an improvement for the Final Fantasy series and I seriously can't help but wonder why there are so many haters. I can see alot of fans are disappointed because there's no cliche romance in this chapter of the series but there's absolutely no need for one. Crying over spilt milk is what all the babies are doing, grown ups LOVE Final Fantasy XII Expand
  22. Jun 25, 2013
    The first six hours were a bit of a trudge; to begin with it didn't "feel" like (previous) Final Fantasy but once I got used to the mechanics FFXII really grew on me, possibly due to the innumerable similarities to Star Wars or the fact that it resembles western RPG "dungeon crawlers" in places (the influence on the Dragon Age games is huge). Characters are a bit flat thus excluding anyThe first six hours were a bit of a trudge; to begin with it didn't "feel" like (previous) Final Fantasy but once I got used to the mechanics FFXII really grew on me, possibly due to the innumerable similarities to Star Wars or the fact that it resembles western RPG "dungeon crawlers" in places (the influence on the Dragon Age games is huge). Characters are a bit flat thus excluding any sufficient emotional engagement to them (or the story), but not so it prevented me from enjoying either. The politicking, scheming and manoeuvring amongst the antagonists was well done. Impressive visual design, a common criticism is the lack of a Nobuo Uematsu score; which is noticeable at first, though Hitoshi Sakimoto's music fits the game perfectly and certainly grew on me enough that I had to buy the soundtrack. Gameplay can get repetitive in places and the new battle system negates any sort of strategy (the free camera is also an annoyance in confined areas) but the game is well worth playing through to the satisfying (and spectacular) finalé. Expand
  23. Jun 24, 2013
    The gambit system is the best KI system to date. You can tell your characters exactly what and when they should do something. The battle system by itself is also very good having a nice tempo and style to it. The world is bigger than in previous ff´s and beautiful. The OST backs the atmosphere of the game having some really nice tracks in it. Easily best RPG in the PS 2 Era.
  24. May 25, 2013
    Some fans does not like FFXII because it is not like previous FF games but i think it is the best one, It does have much of what a FF game is. FF needs change to it so that it doesen´t become clones of each other like COD has.
  25. Mar 24, 2013
    The FF XII storyline is one of the best and most mature FF storylines. The story isn't melodramatic or geared toward preteen girls. The dialog in the game is beautiful. The music is beautiful. The gameplay gambit system is fun enough although perhaps not interactive enough. I've played a lot of PS2 games (especially via PCSX2), but I keep coming back to this game in particular. I'dThe FF XII storyline is one of the best and most mature FF storylines. The story isn't melodramatic or geared toward preteen girls. The dialog in the game is beautiful. The music is beautiful. The gameplay gambit system is fun enough although perhaps not interactive enough. I've played a lot of PS2 games (especially via PCSX2), but I keep coming back to this game in particular. I'd have to say it's by far my favorite PS2 game. Expand
  26. Mar 16, 2013
    By far my favorite of the "modern" (PS2/PS3) Final Fantasies. I absolutely love the Gambit system, I cannot say enough about it. The customizability of character AI is beyond anything seen before or since. Although character roles are rather genericb since any character can acquire basically any skill, individual characters are still very tailored towards certain specializations because ofBy far my favorite of the "modern" (PS2/PS3) Final Fantasies. I absolutely love the Gambit system, I cannot say enough about it. The customizability of character AI is beyond anything seen before or since. Although character roles are rather genericb since any character can acquire basically any skill, individual characters are still very tailored towards certain specializations because of base stats and early in the game their different starting positions on the License Board

I thought the story was much more mature than most Final Fantasies (and JRPGs in general). Nothing overly special but it kept me moving forward and I really enjoyed the character developtment and underlying political intrigue. Like I said it's not mind blowing but it is very well toldThe world is large with lots to do, although some areas do feel rather empty.

I can see where some wouldn't like the Gambit system. You'll love it or hate. If you like absolute control over everything your party does under absolutely any situation, you will love it. If you want the old school RPG status quo of on-your-toes turn based menu selections, this may not be for you.

Last but not least, the first 2-3 hours (as with many RPGs) are extremely slow, IMO. Once you get full party control and start acquiring Gambits and Licenses, the game absolutely shines. Do not judge this game until you are a few hours in.
  27. Jan 8, 2013
    Final Fantasy XII is an amazing game, like all Square Enix games. This game is probably the best Final Fantasy in terms of things to do. You could spend 50 hours on the main story line, and then have content worth another 100 hours still left to do, and whats great about it is that it gives you ultimate freedom. Tired of doing the story line? You can go do mark missions, or find sideFinal Fantasy XII is an amazing game, like all Square Enix games. This game is probably the best Final Fantasy in terms of things to do. You could spend 50 hours on the main story line, and then have content worth another 100 hours still left to do, and whats great about it is that it gives you ultimate freedom. Tired of doing the story line? You can go do mark missions, or find side quests, or just explore and level up. The game has some of the best boss battles of the FF series, and wonderful areas to explore. A lot of people seem to hate the new combat system, but I for one love it and think it was a great change new change to their games up until this point. Expand
  28. Dec 30, 2012
    My favorite game of all time. I'm still enamored by it, and find myself replaying it every other year. Great story, graphics, gameplay. Usually the reason people don't like this game is because of previous expectations, or because final fantasy fans are pricks who enjoy arguing about which is best.
  29. Nov 22, 2012
    some people say this game is bad......... WHAT!? most of the things they say are opinion, like "I DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS DIFFERENT" yeah its different and its BETTER. square enix tried to give us a new battle system that actually made sense, before you were forced into a battle after taking a few steps which was ANNOYING. it wasn't too bad, but i'd say this battlesome people say this game is bad......... WHAT!? most of the things they say are opinion, like "I DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS DIFFERENT" yeah its different and its BETTER. square enix tried to give us a new battle system that actually made sense, before you were forced into a battle after taking a few steps which was ANNOYING. it wasn't too bad, but i'd say this battle system is BETTER. another thing, people complain about the soundtrack saying it was not as good as previous games................ heres something you should try........... TURN UP THE VOLUME! Expand
  30. Nov 19, 2012
    FFXII creates a sensational world to travel through with it's excellent music always adding to the atmosphere. Very absorbing. The combat system is fresh and gambits allow the player to customize as much or as little as desired for more complex or simple combat. The primary story and character development are subdued for a final fantasy game, but there is a surprising amount of detailFFXII creates a sensational world to travel through with it's excellent music always adding to the atmosphere. Very absorbing. The combat system is fresh and gambits allow the player to customize as much or as little as desired for more complex or simple combat. The primary story and character development are subdued for a final fantasy game, but there is a surprising amount of detail involving npcs and lots of rewarding sidequests (especially hunts), which allow you to explore the vivid and vast world of Ivalice. Expand
  31. Sep 17, 2012
    One of the most controversial Final Fantasy game (for its battle system) but (probably) the best Final Fantasy game ever made and one of the best video games for PS2.
  32. Aug 26, 2012
    This is one of my favorite final fantasies, it has a rich storyline, some memorable characters (but i don´t really like Vaan, Balthier is my favorite character in the game though), the battle system is one of the best in the series, it has a good musical score, and the graphics are amazing.
  33. Aug 25, 2012
    A game people seem to either love or hate. I loved it, loved the characters, story and more importantly gameplay and the world you explore. I disagree about the music from some comments, as i thought it was excellent and matched the zones perfectly, Feywood is a great example, plus the different weather was a great idea and how it changed areas. Lots of exploring to do and some places areA game people seem to either love or hate. I loved it, loved the characters, story and more importantly gameplay and the world you explore. I disagree about the music from some comments, as i thought it was excellent and matched the zones perfectly, Feywood is a great example, plus the different weather was a great idea and how it changed areas. Lots of exploring to do and some places are shockingly hard if you stumble upon them too soon, which makes for a challenge. The best since FFVII, and different armour and weapon bonuses. Great game. Expand
  34. Jul 14, 2012
    Another miss-score Final Fantasy XII is awesome and done the best out of all FF titles on PS2 for its epic story and FMV's which help immerse players into the game
  35. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece game. One of my favorite final fantasies and favorite games of all time. You feel like everything happening in this world is happening in real time. You really care about your characters and the outcome of their journey!
  36. Feb 20, 2012
    When all is said and done with the Final Fantasy franchise, I won't be surprised if VII and XII still stand out to me as the games that completely consumed me while I was playing them. Granted, it took me a couple tries to establish any momentum with this game (but that's fairly common for me). Once I did, I fell in love with the gambit system. It has become the measuring stick by which IWhen all is said and done with the Final Fantasy franchise, I won't be surprised if VII and XII still stand out to me as the games that completely consumed me while I was playing them. Granted, it took me a couple tries to establish any momentum with this game (but that's fairly common for me). Once I did, I fell in love with the gambit system. It has become the measuring stick by which I judge every combat mechanic in a game that goes beyond needing a single player and single character to accomplish everything. I wish ever MMO I played let me set up a FF12-like gambit system for as many characters as I need to fill out a party or raid. Any game that does....just reminds me how much I loved FF12. I finished all but the last hunt (as I could only stomach one four-hour attempt, only to have it end when a rez didn't happen quickly enough while the guy was one-shotting the group), which is more effort I've put into a non-MMO since FF7. Near perfection, this game's only shortcoming, from my perspective, is the vacuous story that was heavy on pageantry and light on having a point. Expand
  37. Feb 10, 2012
    The plot failed to attract me, and the characters were generally flat (except Balthier or Basch) but the game hooked me since the first moment. The fighting system is excellent, and I never got bored of it throughout the game.

Another positive point was the length of the game. A lot of secrets and new weapons that required long walks along the huge maps and had a proper difficulty. The

The gambits were well established, although if you abused them, that could worsen the experience of the game.

I forgot the OST and other themes. I would stand out the boss fight theme, it was extremely EPIC.
  38. Jan 20, 2012
    I love the game so much. It is the the second best final fantasy game next to FF 13. Up until now. I am still playing it. I'd finished this 11 times. Still ain't boring.
  39. Jan 16, 2012
    Many fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects ofMany fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects of planning your battle commands beforehand but in the event you really do not like the battle system, Gambits can be turned off for a more traditional Final Fantasy style of gameplay. Once Gamebits have been turned off, the battle system becomes Final Fantasy except with a controllable character and seamless battles, both of which are enormous improvements to the game. I fear many people have dismissed this game far too early, and if they had taken the time to appreciate the mechanics of the game they would have been able to experience one of the most intricate stories and deep characters ever created in a Final Fantasy game. Expand
  40. Dec 6, 2011
    The best game of my gamer life. Final Fantasy XII has a rich world, amazing party and beautiful graphics. Haters gonna hater but the majority liked this game. Just look at 92/100 and 77/100 on user score.
  41. Sep 3, 2011
    FFXII is a step in the right direction. Its the most dynamic Final Fantasy to date, which can make it good or bad depending on how you play it. If you have to do alot of grinding then you are not using all of the tools available correctly.
  42. Jul 21, 2011
    Pretty sweet game. So much to do, awesome battle system. Interesting characters (some are annoying but most are great). One of my faves for Playstation 2
  43. May 18, 2011
    This game pretty much did everything right. Amazing story(older audience), endearing characters, for it's time good graphics, amazing battle system (FFXI style) and great open world experience. Now, the only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is more due to a personal preference and that's the language. They speak in the old shakespearean dialect which i never took time to learn so IThis game pretty much did everything right. Amazing story(older audience), endearing characters, for it's time good graphics, amazing battle system (FFXI style) and great open world experience. Now, the only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is more due to a personal preference and that's the language. They speak in the old shakespearean dialect which i never took time to learn so I missed some parts. Aside from that this was a great game with an insane amount of side content. Expand
  44. Jan 6, 2011
    Im not going to lie here, the gameplay itself is ok, but the game is more passive due to all the gambits. If you wanted to lvl up in the game and you have enough gambits you can basiclly just go to one map and leave the room because the gambits will do all the work for you. Also, the way they have you moving from one end of the map all the way to the other is kind of annoying. I liked theIm not going to lie here, the gameplay itself is ok, but the game is more passive due to all the gambits. If you wanted to lvl up in the game and you have enough gambits you can basiclly just go to one map and leave the room because the gambits will do all the work for you. Also, the way they have you moving from one end of the map all the way to the other is kind of annoying. I liked the storyline to the game even though it follows Vaan and Bashe. I like the game mainly because you also need skill to play and not just a very high lvl, i like games when i can go up against a boss that is like 10 or 15 lvls higher than me because makes the game more difficult. In this game you dont need to lvl up to go to certain areas and live, also the new way to flee from a battle is ok, i always hated FFVII because when i was trying to get to a save spot I would run into like 50 battles at least Expand
  45. Nov 5, 2010
    The JRPG market has been dead and foul-smelling for a long time. Growing up in the 90's I first got my taste of their rpg's back when it was a fresh concept, with Final Fantasy IV and Phantasy Star I being my first, but it's a sad thing to see that their combat mechanics have changed in the way that evolution changes organisms...extremely freakin slow. In that time I've slogged throughThe JRPG market has been dead and foul-smelling for a long time. Growing up in the 90's I first got my taste of their rpg's back when it was a fresh concept, with Final Fantasy IV and Phantasy Star I being my first, but it's a sad thing to see that their combat mechanics have changed in the way that evolution changes organisms...extremely freakin slow. In that time I've slogged through FF VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XI and with each new addition, I've felt the same way about their new "changed mechanics" for their combat: It still sucks. I don't know if the developers had a hair up their ass this time, but whatever the case XII is a refreshing new look at this series. First for me is that the combat was actually fun and strategic, as well as engaging. The ability to program your characters routines, via the Gambit System, is an excellent addition to help alleviate the grinding that inevitably dawns on a JRPG, but is still flexible enough to allow you to take control of your characters at any moment. Options is the key, as options can be taken or left depending on your tastes. So you don't have to use the Gambits if you don't want to, but it will always be accessible if you change your mind. This is good. Many people seem to hate the characters, and I do agree Vaan is pretty annoying at times, but in XII the main characters are less obvious. You play through the view point of Vaan, but you'll quickly learn that two of the other characters that join you are the true protagonists of the story. This didn't bother me one bit, and I found the characters to be really different from previous Final Fantasies, and although Penelo seems kind of a throw back, most of the characters are very human and believable. The story is very in-depth and more of one about nations vying for power, politics, and grey areas for motivations, which are all elements that I love. The pacing is pretty fast at times, although there are moments where it does lag and lose focus, but I think it servers as a good moment to side quest to break up the constant advance of the story. These side quests are obviously optional, so you could just rush through the story as quickly as possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. FF XII is as close to a sandbox as you're gonna get for a JRPG, and I really appreciated their attempt to not conform to typical JRPG standards. This is probably the most western approach they've taken that I can recall. One of the things that makes this game shine is the voice over's, which are amazing when compared to pretty much anything. The quality of the voices and the accents are interesting (I can never get enough of Fran's accent) and it makes you look forward to those moments when the characters speak. I can't say the same about the music, however. It isn't bad, but it isn't the best of the series, and sometimes I don't even notice it's there. Overall if you are interested in a non-linear JRPG, with open exploration, great combat mechanics, an interesting and highly political story, and a mostly memorable (if somewhat small) main cast, then this will make you smile. It did for me and renewed my interest in a decrepit and ailing series. (Insert obligatory Final Fantasy XIII jab here) Expand
  46. Oct 5, 2010
    This is the best final fantasy in almost every aspect, its even artistically superior to XIII, however its not the best overall, because the story and characters plays a fundamental role in Final Fantasy and this entry fails in that department, there is a lack of side quest and minigames that not involves kill monsters, and sidequest that add pieces to the story.

The music is good but not

The music is good but not the most memorable. the battle system is great , funniest grinding ever in a final fantasy, the character customization system is good enough but could be better
  47. Sep 28, 2010
    It's a bit late to write a review for this game for I'll just hop in the wagon anyway. It's simple, it's like Final Fantasy XIII, the breaks boundaries when it comes to graphics and gameplay, but snoozes on plot and characters. The score for Final Fantasy XII is easily one of the weakest in the series, but to me gamplay is the heart of all games, and Final Fantasy shines by giving us aIt's a bit late to write a review for this game for I'll just hop in the wagon anyway. It's simple, it's like Final Fantasy XIII, the breaks boundaries when it comes to graphics and gameplay, but snoozes on plot and characters. The score for Final Fantasy XII is easily one of the weakest in the series, but to me gamplay is the heart of all games, and Final Fantasy shines by giving us a similar to MMOPRG style gameplay. I just want to say that I give props to whatever game that's willing to take risk so Square Enix, good for you. Expand
  48. JathaineJ.
    Mar 9, 2010
    It's a great game. For a PS2 game the visuals are awesome, you can kinda tell the audio is a bit compressed though... not all that bad however. Much of the music is stellar! The combat system is very customizable whether or not you choose to use gambits (I prefer to use very few gambits as I'd rather not just watch the game, I prefer to interact with it myself for the most part) It's a great game. For a PS2 game the visuals are awesome, you can kinda tell the audio is a bit compressed though... not all that bad however. Much of the music is stellar! The combat system is very customizable whether or not you choose to use gambits (I prefer to use very few gambits as I'd rather not just watch the game, I prefer to interact with it myself for the most part) The game gives you loads of content with the hunts and side-quests. If you want to take a break from the main story, you get plenty of opportunities should you wish to take them. Then there's the story itself, presented in a new way for the Final Fantasy series. Unfortunately subtlety is lost on this generation so many of the players don't appreciate the game's story. If you're not willing to pay attention, this game won't be the one for you but if you really want a gripping story and some of the most memorable characters in the series (Cid, Vayne and Balthier for sure!) get this game! Expand
  49. MarhadiashaK
    Feb 5, 2010
    Old school hardcore turn-based rpg gamers hate this (minority), while the rest love it (majority). People who hate this is that because they want all FF become FFVII-alikes and hate change. This game is a breth of fresh air from past FF games. The story is heavy and political, not like past FF, which is teen-like, that's why old FF fans hate it. The system isn't like old games, Old school hardcore turn-based rpg gamers hate this (minority), while the rest love it (majority). People who hate this is that because they want all FF become FFVII-alikes and hate change. This game is a breth of fresh air from past FF games. The story is heavy and political, not like past FF, which is teen-like, that's why old FF fans hate it. The system isn't like old games, which is playing menus. For hardcore FF fans, it's a dissapointment, but overall, it's an excellent entertaining game generally. Expand
  50. ScottB
    Feb 4, 2010
    A very rewarding experience and a majestic soundtrack. Whilst previous Final Fantasy games were rather linear, Final Fantasy 12 lets you go exploring for yourself in a large open world. A fantasic new 'License Board' system brings new depth to levelling up, blowing Final Fantasy 10's 'Sphere Grid' completely out of the water. A true masterpiece.
  51. Brumbek
    Nov 10, 2009
    FFXII is one case where the critics get it right and the users get it very wrong. FFXII is definitely deserving of
  52. [ANONYMOUS]
    Oct 7, 2009
    Speaking as a lifelong FF fan who has played every single game in the series, this game is a masterpiece. Graphically, it's as beautiful and polished as any game, and moreso - the sheer depth of the environments, NPCs, enemies, and so on creates a fantasy world that is way more realistic than any stand-alone rpg has ever created. If you get bored easily, or you need love stories or a Speaking as a lifelong FF fan who has played every single game in the series, this game is a masterpiece. Graphically, it's as beautiful and polished as any game, and moreso - the sheer depth of the environments, NPCs, enemies, and so on creates a fantasy world that is way more realistic than any stand-alone rpg has ever created. If you get bored easily, or you need love stories or a lot of angsty dialogue to keep your interest, this game probably isn't for you. But, critiques of its plot are misguided - there's definitely a very involved story to the world and each of the characters, you just have to piece it together and maybe play the game twice to get it. There are pacing issues where the story seems to not unfold much for stretches and then quickly in other stretches. And, I might have appreciated greater customization of characters to allow for a little more strategy in choosing different weapons (I'd have also liked espers to be more useful). But, none of that prevents this game from being the best classic rpg experience ever created. Expand
  53. BenF
    Sep 25, 2009
    I love this game. It is huge, addicting, fun, and engaging. The FMV scenes are terrific. The new combat system is excellent, too. Trust me, I love this game and this is not the only Final Fantasy game I have played.
  54. WhaleW
    Aug 18, 2009
    This game seems to take one of two routes with gamers, especially fans of the series. Players either claim it to be the greatest RPG on the PlayStation (and others are far more bold) while others claim it to be the worst. I think this is the greatest game ever made. Maybe because it lacks the sappy love story of it's kin, the annoying random encounters, and the over-the-top This game seems to take one of two routes with gamers, especially fans of the series. Players either claim it to be the greatest RPG on the PlayStation (and others are far more bold) while others claim it to be the worst. I think this is the greatest game ever made. Maybe because it lacks the sappy love story of it's kin, the annoying random encounters, and the over-the-top storytelling, did I enjoy this game so much. The story: mature and Shakespeare-ish completely drew me in immediately and the beautiful graphics, character design, and soundtrack had me sold. Plus, Balthier is such a hunk! ;) Expand
  55. driver01z
    Apr 17, 2009
    I have enjoyed each Final Fantasy and RPGs in general. Definitely enjoyed this game. The new battle system is different, but I liked that it allows for quicker battles and more "direct" action, which can become kind of addictive in my opinion. Plenty of things to do in the game. I spent over 100 hours playing through it, and I certainly haven
  56. AlejandroD
    Mar 28, 2009
    I do not understand all the negativity from some of the so called fans of the series. You guys probably think that Final Fantasy started with the part VII. However, this not only has that sense of old final fantasy, but it adds an extra layer of intensity and depth to it. This is truly a great game, not perfect, because it starts very slow, but after a while it is excellent!!
  57. Ferret
    Mar 18, 2009
    The game's storyline is not for impatient, action-driven fans. As earlier comments have said, the plot centers on the situation and it's implications on Ivalice rather than the characters. Considering the relative maturity of the characters, I found this refreshing compared to other RPGs. It's not a game for everyone, but a lot of the hate and dislike at it is by no means The game's storyline is not for impatient, action-driven fans. As earlier comments have said, the plot centers on the situation and it's implications on Ivalice rather than the characters. Considering the relative maturity of the characters, I found this refreshing compared to other RPGs. It's not a game for everyone, but a lot of the hate and dislike at it is by no means earned; most seem unable to express that this game was just not for them, citing instead 'I didn't see any story!' when indeed the plot was rather interesting. The game has some pacing problems, but rest assured the storyline is there, and fleshed out. Expand
  58. AnonymousMC
    Mar 7, 2009
    Square-Enix boldly takes its flagship series to an all-new direction that combines the best qualities of Western and Japanese RPGs. Finally removing the random battles makes Final Fantasy XII the most immersive and fluent game in the series. Some of the characters actually break the traditional and tired JRPG mold, and the quality of the storytelling and the dialogue with its differentSquare-Enix boldly takes its flagship series to an all-new direction that combines the best qualities of Western and Japanese RPGs. Finally removing the random battles makes Final Fantasy XII the most immersive and fluent game in the series. Some of the characters actually break the traditional and tired JRPG mold, and the quality of the storytelling and the dialogue with its different dialects is on a level previously unseen in any video game. Expand
  59. BreeH.
    Dec 5, 2008
    Quite simply one of the best in the series. However those people with short attention spans, who want everything to just kick off without knowing the story, will not find this game to be their cup of tea. The battle system allows you to either, have all character run on auto-pilot or wait for your every command. You can be as lazy or active as you want. The game has an engaging and Quite simply one of the best in the series. However those people with short attention spans, who want everything to just kick off without knowing the story, will not find this game to be their cup of tea. The battle system allows you to either, have all character run on auto-pilot or wait for your every command. You can be as lazy or active as you want. The game has an engaging and realistic storyline centering on the evils of power, corruption, and war. These three topics are ever prominent in governments and can easily be seen in recent history if one looks close enough. Even though there is really no "major character" everyone has an equal contribution in the story. The characters, in general, are enjoyable. Each one has their own quirks and weaknesses and in one way or another develops as the story progresses. The graphics were absolutely breath taking with so much detail and lighting it felt as though you were actually standing there. The voice acting was quite simply the best I have ever seen in a game. The words and mouths match up perfectly and each actor put there whole being into the characters which really brought them to life. It was easy to tell what the characters were feeling. The game was all round great with intellectual conversations and a mature and intense stories of the evils man is capable of. I would easily recommend this game to others. Expand
  60. RhodyT.
    Sep 6, 2008
    As someone who has played every Final Fantasy since IV, I can honestly say this is one of the best Final Fantasy games. Instead of trying to make every game into Final Fantasy VII, Squenix has taken a different route with XII. Instead of focuson in the characters, the story focuses on the situation. Instead of repetitively selecting the same few commands every time you run into a As someone who has played every Final Fantasy since IV, I can honestly say this is one of the best Final Fantasy games. Instead of trying to make every game into Final Fantasy VII, Squenix has taken a different route with XII. Instead of focuson in the characters, the story focuses on the situation. Instead of repetitively selecting the same few commands every time you run into a foreseeable situation, XII allows you to plan ahead. The strategy is still there, but it's done in advance. Perhaps the best thing about this game is that it's so engrossing. The world of Ivalice takes on a life of it's own. For type of regular enemy, there's a page that describes one aspect of Ivalice, whether it's a place or a clan or an event. My advice to anyone who gives this game a score around 7 is to go back and play it a second time, because if you like it the first time, you'll love it the second time. Expand
  61. JoeMama
    Aug 17, 2008
    Sick, must play for rpg lovers, great story, great voice acting, best rpg out on consoles.
  62. MiG
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'll be the first to admit that this game won't appeal to everyone; however, to claim it's not as good as a prior Final Fantasy is a worthless assertion as each game is completely different. The music in this game does not suffer one bit from Uematsu's departure; it is grand, epic, and pleasant to the ears. The combat system is highly entertaining and ONLYlets you be I'll be the first to admit that this game won't appeal to everyone; however, to claim it's not as good as a prior Final Fantasy is a worthless assertion as each game is completely different. The music in this game does not suffer one bit from Uematsu's departure; it is grand, epic, and pleasant to the ears. The combat system is highly entertaining and ONLYlets you be as lazy as YOU want to be. I just wanted to stress that. Whoever says this game plays itself has not played in excess of the first 5 hours, I can promise you that. The characters in this game are well-developed with their own personalities and quirks. If you've liked the previous FF games, or if you'd just like a wonderful RPG well worth anyone's time, this is for you. Enjoy it for what it is. Expand
  63. NicholasG.
    Aug 9, 2008
    Definitely the best RPG of our generation, there isn't really a bad thing to be said about the game. However, immature, impatient people will NOT appreciate the story, gameplay, or character developement as much as many others have. All of that said, the Sakimoto soundtrack is so good I freaking bought it, the graphics are as good as you will find anywhere else, and the voice acting is good.
  64. JeremyW.
    Jul 12, 2008
    Of all the 3D FF games this is the most original and sophisticated since Cloud Strife premiered. It is different, but unlike many of these childish reviews, I am not going to disregard it simply on the grounds that it is not using materia, and doesn't feature Sephiroth. Each FF game is a unique entity on its own, and should thus be reviewed on its own merits, not on the expectation Of all the 3D FF games this is the most original and sophisticated since Cloud Strife premiered. It is different, but unlike many of these childish reviews, I am not going to disregard it simply on the grounds that it is not using materia, and doesn't feature Sephiroth. Each FF game is a unique entity on its own, and should thus be reviewed on its own merits, not on the expectation that it should resemble a prior effort. There are several brilliant design aspects to 12, such as the gambit system. This allows a player to take command of his party instead of being a micromanager of all its aspects. You can interrupt a Gambit sequence anytime you want to take charge in a difficult fight. You can also simply turn them off all together if you so choose. So knocking a game based off an optional feature is not logical nor fair. Secondly, the customization options are fantastic. You can designate any character you chose as a healer or tank etc. The Marks (creature hunts) are also extremely fun and a much better side quest than say Chocobo racing. Graphically speaking this is the best FF to date and the monster designs are original and offer a ton of variety. I have played all the FF games and can say this is a fantastic effort and an instant classic. For true fans who have played the Tactics games you will not be disappointed as this seems to merge the two concepts in some ways. The story is epic and the voice acting is grand. The score is also very good, although not quite as memorable. You will understand why the toughest reviewers (Famitsu) game it a 40/40. Expand
  65. GalvinO.
    Jun 29, 2008
    The best RPG on PS2. Anyone who says FFX is better than this likes linear interactive movies that focus too much on story over gameplay.
  66. BazzmasterB
    Jun 22, 2008
    A refreshing change to a great series with fun side quests and an amazing story.The characters are not as good as previous games in the series but the rest more then makes up for that.
  67. AdrianR.
    Jun 19, 2008
    The best gameplay ever in the FF series for me. I'm glad to hear FFXIII will expand on FFXII's formula. Now lets get the crazy plot/characters back!
  68. JamesT.
    Jun 18, 2008
    awsome game this is amazing. Some people think this game is bad but have you seen the graphics wow. The gameplay is amazing along with the coolest characters. To the dumbass that said you can't move the camera it's called the right analogue stick try useing it. So this game has a good storyline to it and the people that said this game has a bad storyline you probaly skipped awsome game this is amazing. Some people think this game is bad but have you seen the graphics wow. The gameplay is amazing along with the coolest characters. To the dumbass that said you can't move the camera it's called the right analogue stick try useing it. So this game has a good storyline to it and the people that said this game has a bad storyline you probaly skipped trough all the scenes. Expand
  69. IsaacM
    May 15, 2008
    This game isn't worth a 10 (no FF is except for FF7) but I really enjoyed the concepts explored here. The story was OK sort of a cross between Tactics and FF9 but nothing to shout out about. The character development certainly needed work, though I enjoyed not really having a main character. What seals the deal for me is the gameplay. The battle system is truly great, with the gambit This game isn't worth a 10 (no FF is except for FF7) but I really enjoyed the concepts explored here. The story was OK sort of a cross between Tactics and FF9 but nothing to shout out about. The character development certainly needed work, though I enjoyed not really having a main character. What seals the deal for me is the gameplay. The battle system is truly great, with the gambit system being awfully complex at first (I found it to be quite useful for getting rid of the grunts in the game without too much effort though) but once used to it a truly inspiring decision. This does defeat the purpose of actually PLAYING the game though. Now I played this on 'Active' mode (I have never played a Final Fantasy on 'Wait' and I don't intend starting now) so I found the battles, even with what looked like easy monsters to beat in a new area, extremely challenging (I dare all you FF fans out there to try and finish this game on Active mode to see what I mean) and the bosses were just plain cruel at times (yes I'm talking about you Bomb King and Zodiark) but as long as you set the gambits up right and build up your characters solidly it becomes truly addictive to play this game completely seamlessly without any pause in the action, though if you slip up in a boss fight you will be mercilessly destroyed. I really liked all the sidequests and have gotten thoroughly sidetracked with these. I've just beaten Yiazmat (yeesh what a painful guy he is to beat it took me 5 and a half hours on Active!!) and I've somehow managed to swallow up 118 hours!! Just got Omega Mark XII to beat and I can finish the game. All in all a very nice little addition to my FF library (7, (Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children included), 8 (complete with PocketStation), 9, Tactics, 10, 10-2 and 12) Expand
  70. MikeW.
    Dec 14, 2007
    This is a great addition to the Final Fantasy legacy. Final Fantasy 12 advances the FF series in many ways from the new gameplay elements to featuringa more mature storyline and characters. Final Fantasy 12 is for a more mature/advanced gamer and that is a GOOD thing a VERY good thing.
  71. JoeB.
    Oct 20, 2007
    This game is different to previous Final Fantasys, but amazing in its own right. Despite my worries, the gameplay is refreshing and more enjoyable overall than previous installments. The liscense and gambit systems work well. Sakimoto's music is good although not quite up to Nobuo's standards. The graphics are awesome for the PS2. The opening movie is phenomenal. The voice This game is different to previous Final Fantasys, but amazing in its own right. Despite my worries, the gameplay is refreshing and more enjoyable overall than previous installments. The liscense and gambit systems work well. Sakimoto's music is good although not quite up to Nobuo's standards. The graphics are awesome for the PS2. The opening movie is phenomenal. The voice acting is excellent as well, lending an eloquence ot Final Fantasy that has never been seen before. FFXII has sprawling environments and a fully controllable 360 degree camera which highlights the beauty of the world. However, its biggest weakness is its lack of cutscenes. The story is strong overall, with interesting political intrigue. Each character has their own motivations, and wills clash against each other in compelling ways. But there just isnt enough cutscenes to expand upon the story, which can leave you feeling as if each object is a bit pointless and that there is something missing. Its a big contrast from FFX. Persevere though and you'll find the experience rewarding. Final Fantasy XII is a regular gem of a game, which is definitely worth playing purely for its scope and replay value. Completing the game takes about 60 hours doing an average amount of sidequests. Not the best game ever, IMO (That goes to FFIX), but certainly in my top 5. Go buy it! Oh, and keep your eye out for Gilgamesh. He's a legend. Expand
  72. JamesN.
    Sep 6, 2007
    A definite breath of fresh air...after the drab repition of semi-futuristic Nomura worlds, FFXII brings back the exhiliration of a true adventure, much as IX did. Wonderful world, stunning visuals, very serious story (I loved it, so i wanted to see more of it! make a sequel to it SE, it could use more cut scenes!) and standout gameplay.
  73. P.Starr
    Sep 2, 2007
    Mike G. had some interesting comments, until he cited VII and VIII as examples of the heights to which a game like this should aspire. VII and VIII are, to my mind, the worst examples of nonsensical plotting and incomprehensible character "development" in role-playing games around, and to suggest the writing and storyline in the vastly superior XII can be compared to those awful games and Mike G. had some interesting comments, until he cited VII and VIII as examples of the heights to which a game like this should aspire. VII and VIII are, to my mind, the worst examples of nonsensical plotting and incomprehensible character "development" in role-playing games around, and to suggest the writing and storyline in the vastly superior XII can be compared to those awful games and found lacking undermines his credibility as a gamer. These things are deeply subjective, but the reality is that I personally would have a very hard time going back to any other FF game after playing XII; I make that statement based on both the gameplay AND the story. Expand
  74. AnonymousMC
    Aug 22, 2007
    First off, I hardly have any given right to review this game, as my log is only at 8 hours. However, not my fault for this, as I had an unfortunate memory card problem. But, I recently picked it up again, and remembered why I loved it. I can not pass judgment on anything past the leviathan, but up to that point, I have loved everything about this game. It is beautiful, as all have said,First off, I hardly have any given right to review this game, as my log is only at 8 hours. However, not my fault for this, as I had an unfortunate memory card problem. But, I recently picked it up again, and remembered why I loved it. I can not pass judgment on anything past the leviathan, but up to that point, I have loved everything about this game. It is beautiful, as all have said, in graphics and sound. I have never felt so immersed in a true 3-D world in a PS2 game. I really enjoyed the Gambit and License system in this game, and battle is actually a brain test now. I also noticed that some people criticize two main things: Vaan as a lead and the story being boring. First off, Vaan is less of a lead and more of your personal ticket to the story. He was not made to be some super interesting mega-character, but rather kind of a camera man.

As for the story, sure it is different from FF9 and FF10, but it is good in its own way. Sure, gone is the sappy love story and the vengeance. Say good-bye to the brewing love in the party. Live with it. It provides what I seem to be finding as a very complex and twisting dark, political plot of deception and hate. I think it will shape up quite well.

My only beef with the game was the insane difficulty increases. I was quite annoyed when I could fight through 20 enemies without manually healing, yet be destroyed by a boss in a matter of minutes. That, and how hard it is even move up one level.
  75. MikaL.
    Aug 20, 2007
    Awesom game indeed, FFXII: International Zodiac Job System brings more exciting stuff to already huge game. Job System, new items, new weapons and more! Best FF after FF7 and FFX.
  76. FFFan
    Aug 9, 2007
    I give this game a ten on pure entertainment value. I don't always have the time to play, but when I do I can play for a few hours and even though I don't get alot of gameplay done it is still great. The only beef I have with the game is the way the enemies jump up in level so fast. I have needed to spend alot of time running around leveling up to get further. Other than this, I give this game a ten on pure entertainment value. I don't always have the time to play, but when I do I can play for a few hours and even though I don't get alot of gameplay done it is still great. The only beef I have with the game is the way the enemies jump up in level so fast. I have needed to spend alot of time running around leveling up to get further. Other than this, FFXII is the greatest game that I have ever played. Graphics are awesome, surround sound for the sound is fantastic, and the story is sweet. I hope that Square will come out with a sequel that is PS2 or PS3 playable, not just Nintendo DS. Though I will buy that one too. Expand
  77. Angelbane
    Jul 22, 2007
    Anyone who gave this game a 6 or less can go throw all their videogames out and start reading a good book. If you don't like the camera angles, the story, or the battle system I'm sorry to say, but your thought stray not far from incompetence. Simply put: Smart people made it so the stupid won't play it. Sometimes harsh words are the simplest to understand. If you really Anyone who gave this game a 6 or less can go throw all their videogames out and start reading a good book. If you don't like the camera angles, the story, or the battle system I'm sorry to say, but your thought stray not far from incompetence. Simply put: Smart people made it so the stupid won't play it. Sometimes harsh words are the simplest to understand. If you really can't keep up with the greatness of a game like this then you've seriously not been going to school or something, because to the more educated I'm sure the features were very simple. Square, please don't listen to any review thats 6 or less because honestly I think you're doing great. If Square people really are reading this don't rush into FF13 because of the hype. Make sure that the story is as solid as FF12 and just as entertaining. I could play FF12 over 100 times... You know what? I think I will. Can't wait for 13 and 14. Like I said though, there might be a problem if FF13 is rushed. Keep it real Square Enix, keep it real. Expand
  78. Dr.Avery
    Jun 24, 2007
    In a single word? Epic. Squaresoft's flagship series has finally returned to its roots -- rejecting the insipid, childish plot and dialog which plagued IX, X and X-2. Instead of dumbing it down for the youngsters, the story and speech have been elevated to an almost shakespearian bearing. A most refreshing change of pace from the usual condescending puerile drivel we are usually fed In a single word? Epic. Squaresoft's flagship series has finally returned to its roots -- rejecting the insipid, childish plot and dialog which plagued IX, X and X-2. Instead of dumbing it down for the youngsters, the story and speech have been elevated to an almost shakespearian bearing. A most refreshing change of pace from the usual condescending puerile drivel we are usually fed as gamers. The gameplay could have been a bit more complex and customizable (as with VII or VIII), but the graphics, and overall style puts this game in a class of it's own. A class which will likely remain the sole domain of FF XII until the fourteenth installment of the series is released (the thirteenth will, no doubt, be rushed through development too quickly to be any good) The architecture is particularly noteworthy. The tombs and ancient places of this game seem to have come forth from the wildest dreams of the engineers of ancient Egypt -- What might have been built if they had an army of 1000 foot tall men to do their work. Your enjoyment of this game will depend largely on your level of education. School-age children and semi-literate adults, are likely going to struggle to keep up with the shades of meaning hidden behind some very obfuscatory and stylized language. However, those with a mastery of the English language are in for one of the best plots to be found in any media. Expand
  79. Sciros
    May 21, 2007
    An amazing game through-and-through. Visually impressive in every way. The sheer number of detailed facades, monsters, items, and characters in the game gave me a great respect for the designers and artists, who are the without question at the top of their field. The music is epic and comples, and it gives the game a unique mood. The combat system is an improved version of KOTOR's An amazing game through-and-through. Visually impressive in every way. The sheer number of detailed facades, monsters, items, and characters in the game gave me a great respect for the designers and artists, who are the without question at the top of their field. The music is epic and comples, and it gives the game a unique mood. The combat system is an improved version of KOTOR's (which was a 3-D adaptation of the Baldur's Gate system). In other words, it takes some adjustment at first but once you get the hang of it it's amazing. The Gambit system gives you the option of being as active or inactive during the battle as you prefer. The story is actually GOOD; I am not sure why people claim it has no story. Not only did the writers put effort into the plot, but the dialogue is top-notch and the voice acting (in the US release, at least) is the best I have ever heard in a game. In my mind Gideon Emery's Balthier stands out as the most perfectly executed character in games, period. Altogether, FFXII is a must-play and deserves every bit of praise. The only shortcoming: leveling takes a long time so if one wants to fully explore the entire game and all sidequests, it will take some real patience. But the fact that the game even *has* so *many* high-level sidequests is astounding, and far more than one should be used to expecting from a single game. In every way, it goes above and beyond what is typical. Expand
  80. JoeM.
    May 15, 2007
    Did I hear someone talking about a bad camera angle - did they fail to notice that the camera angle can be adjusted throughout with the right analogue stick depending on where you want to look? Even if this game did have a bad camera angle (which it doesn't) that isn't enough justification to give it a 0/10. Now i'm going to justify why it deserves 10/10 - superb graphics Did I hear someone talking about a bad camera angle - did they fail to notice that the camera angle can be adjusted throughout with the right analogue stick depending on where you want to look? Even if this game did have a bad camera angle (which it doesn't) that isn't enough justification to give it a 0/10. Now i'm going to justify why it deserves 10/10 - superb graphics with a massive expansive world, great characters and voice acting, a beautiful musical score, fun and strategic battles, loads of sidequests and a long game meaning you can spend over 100 hours on it and an immersive story. Seriously though, what more could you want from an RPG? I challenge anyone to suggest, and even if they do come up with something, Squaresoft will probably right these wrongs in thier next spellbinding installment to this deservedly long running series. In other words, yep, they've done it again. Well actually, not only that, but this is the best of the lot since number 7, and that's a big claim but it really is an outstanding game and comes with my highest reccomendation. Expand
  81. LewisT.
    Apr 8, 2007
    I have not completed this game, which automatically makes my opinion less valid indeed, but I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy's 7 through X-2. Both 8 AND 10 rank in my top 5 favorite games of all time. I was almost reluctant to even purchase this game because I was frightened of this ruining such a grand and renowned series. But after such a small time in the game (around 10 I have not completed this game, which automatically makes my opinion less valid indeed, but I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy's 7 through X-2. Both 8 AND 10 rank in my top 5 favorite games of all time. I was almost reluctant to even purchase this game because I was frightened of this ruining such a grand and renowned series. But after such a small time in the game (around 10 hours) I'm as hooked as I was with all of the others. I mean, okay the character development isn't brilliant, and the story is certainly, rather baffling at times, but other than that it's more than impressive. The battle system will take any fan some time to get used to, but once you've overcome that, you can definitely appreciate it, and how important tactics are. I love the in-depth systems incorporated into the game, such as gambits and licenses. It makes the game more demanding, but more customizable, and ultimately more satisfying. The graphics as expected, rate amongst the best in the PS2 franchise, and I'm very impressed with the game thus far. And as far as I am concerned, the first few hours of the game are the most important. Expand
  82. MannyF.
    Mar 27, 2007
    For those of you with good taste and patience, prepare to play the best RPG ever made. To the others... don't bother, I can't stand the thought of another ignorant negative review of this game on here. THIS IS FINAL FANTASY! Period.
  83. Mithyus
    Mar 25, 2007
    Although Final Fantasy XII strays a bit off the path that has credited the series it's notoriety, it is nevertheless a great gaming experience.
  84. JamesB.
    Mar 16, 2007
    I have to say, this is the best FF game I've seen in a long time. I was really disappointed in FFX, and almost didn't get this game for fear it would be similar, but I'm glad I did. I love the new battle system and everything... I don't see why people say there's no strategy, though. Personally, I think this game takes more strategy than any other Final Fantasy I have to say, this is the best FF game I've seen in a long time. I was really disappointed in FFX, and almost didn't get this game for fear it would be similar, but I'm glad I did. I love the new battle system and everything... I don't see why people say there's no strategy, though. Personally, I think this game takes more strategy than any other Final Fantasy game. I can't think of a single flaw with this game. Expand
  85. Mobius
    Feb 28, 2007
    I remember playing Final Fantasy VII all those years ago and remember how amazed i was back then and how I felt after completing it. After FF VII things when down hill, though good games none of the others gave me that feeling of Awe, so much so that i never felt compelled to complete FF8 & FF9, i got myself FFX and probly clocked 10 hours on it before i got bored and traded it in, i I remember playing Final Fantasy VII all those years ago and remember how amazed i was back then and how I felt after completing it. After FF VII things when down hill, though good games none of the others gave me that feeling of Awe, so much so that i never felt compelled to complete FF8 & FF9, i got myself FFX and probly clocked 10 hours on it before i got bored and traded it in, i never bothered with FFX-2. but something completed me to purchase FFXII on day of release even though I had not read anything about it or got caught up in any hype in fact the first i heard of FFXII was about a 2 weeks before its release. but upon loading up and being greeted by a impressive intro I entered the game and was very pleased with what i saw. the new combat system is great as getting into random battles every 6 steps in the previous games became very annoying, this time around I can see the enemy before I decide to fight. the graphics are fantastic with plenty of well written speech and facial expressions. For me playing FFXII is like playing FFVII for the first time all over again. I picked up the game on a Friday and by the Sunday I had already clocked up 19 hours of fun, I think this game may affect my relationship with the wife. Expand
  86. Barry
    Feb 26, 2007
    Best game on PS2, this year at the least. Even more so than Okami. Battle system is perfect, graphics are the best on PS2 and the size of the map is just awesomely huge. It's a different experience for FF fans. Amazing.
  87. Andrew
    Feb 21, 2007
    Too many people knock this game for being just what it is - a bold, new direction for the series. As a longtime Final Fantasy fan, I was thrilled to be rid of ridiculous amounts of annoying random battles, and hopefully they are gone for good. The rest of this game is certainly worthy of being called a Final Fantasy game (epic storyline, enjoyable character, massively destructive battles). Enjoy.
  88. JimH.
    Feb 19, 2007
    This is my first FF game and I think the graphics and camera work *are* truly amazing, as is the story. I don't like the action, the 'pause and pick' aspect of this. It makes the play disjointed. But all in all this is really enjoyable to play with my young daughter. Many times we come across creatures and go "what the heck is that?!" Final Fantasy XII *is* fantastic.
  89. MatteoPais
    Feb 17, 2007
    A very revolution in Final Fantasy games.
  90. DavidJ.
    Jan 30, 2007
    If you look through the reviews, you'll notice that most negative ones are from people who never finished the game. Finish the game, you'll love it. It's a bit slow to pick up, but so was Final Fantasy 9, and it hardly "destroyed the Final Fantasy franchise". In the end, this is flat-out the most fun Final Fantasy to date.
  91. MikeP.
    Jan 19, 2007
    I really think this is the best FF I've playd but I did have some trouble with the gambits system and the battle system but other than that it was amazing.
  92. JackC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Stop whining about something you don't like, it won't make it better. To those who haven't tried it yet, do it. You may like it, you may not. It's an acquired taste.
  93. GregG.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Very good game. The graphics in the cut-scenes and during gameplay are amazing. The battle system takes a little getting used to, but the change is refreshing. The only shortcoming of this game, to me at least, was that the voice acting did not match the images at all. But other than that, this game is great, even comparable to classics like FF7 or FFX.
  94. EoghanR.
    Jan 9, 2007
    This game is best game I have ever played, it has amazing visuals. An excellent soundtrack and an utterly brilliant, well thought out story with really interesting characters and locations with the best Final Fantasy battle-system I have ever seen (I still love all Final Fantasy's though!) this has made Final Fantasy look like it should be. p.s. can't wait until Final Fantasy XIII.
  95. ArC.
    Jan 8, 2007
    This is the greatest game I ever played! I never got bored because there was so much to do all the time! The graphics were superb! I Love FF XII!! I wasn't disappointed in buying it. Even the Game Cover was nice.
  96. RyanG.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Past all the nostalgia, this IS the definite Final Fantasy...or even RPG.
  97. DiogoC.
    Dec 31, 2006
    The game is very cool, I love it, but it lacks the romance and the history could be better.
  98. RonR.
    Dec 30, 2006
    The battle system is a little different, and the character development isn't as great as in previous installments of the series. But overall, the graphics and gameplay of Final Fantasy XII put it over the top. I would compare this game to classics like Final Fantasy VII and X.
  99. Will
    Dec 27, 2006
    First off, let me say that I am not a Final Fantasy fanboy or enthusiast. I have only played Final Fantasy III, VII, X, and Tactics. And of course, XII. I did enjoy all of them, but XII is just better in every way. FFXII is not X. It is not VII either. It is DEFINITELY not like oldschool FFIII. For all these reasons, I love it. The same trite turn based gameplay of past Final Fantasies First off, let me say that I am not a Final Fantasy fanboy or enthusiast. I have only played Final Fantasy III, VII, X, and Tactics. And of course, XII. I did enjoy all of them, but XII is just better in every way. FFXII is not X. It is not VII either. It is DEFINITELY not like oldschool FFIII. For all these reasons, I love it. The same trite turn based gameplay of past Final Fantasies and console rpgs is just past its prime. Time to move on people. This is a modern rpg and is just plain better. I'm sorry but i can't go and play Chrono Trigger and honestly say its better than FFXII. Same for all those other old rpgs with insanely boring mechanics. They have no difficulty, little complexity, and ffs people, the stories weren't that great MOVE ON. The SNES age is over! If you wan't FFIII or FFVII or w/e it may be, go play them. If you want progress in game sophistication and playability to stand still, tough noogies. That said, FFXII is a remarkable game on just about every front. Graphically impressive, beautiful sound, and a non-trite story make this game really revitalize the stagnating console rpg market. This game is GOOD! Expand
  100. DanielK.
    Dec 21, 2006
    An exceptionally deep Final Fantasy, blending series staples while ushering in new and much needed "breath of fresh air" play mechanics.

1. The story soars, but not so often. The dungeons are long and meandering. The gameplay is effective, but not engrossing. It's a staggeringly well-made game that throws more at you than any other RPG on the PS2... but well-made doesn't necessarily mean "fun."
  2. This is absolutely my favorite Final Fantasy title, a claim I probably would have laughed at two years ago when rumors about the game’s battle system began to circulate.
  3. One of those rare games that can be appreciated by both hardcore and casual fans alike, Final Fantasy XII may very well be Square's last great adventure, and a fitting sendoff, for the PlayStation 2.