7.8

1. Jul 22, 2013
    With its overhauled (and improved) battle system Final Fantasy XII is certainly faster paced, and arguably more accessible to JPRG novices, than its predecessors. Unfortunately it also continues the series trend of having increasingly unmemorable characters and story-lines, two things that are of vital importance if you are going to invest 50+ hours in a game. Sitting here now I couldWith its overhauled (and improved) battle system Final Fantasy XII is certainly faster paced, and arguably more accessible to JPRG novices, than its predecessors. Unfortunately it also continues the series trend of having increasingly unmemorable characters and story-lines, two things that are of vital importance if you are going to invest 50+ hours in a game. Sitting here now I could still name every playable character from Final Fantasy VII but couldn't tell you a single one from this game despite it being nearly a decade more recent.

It's still a good game but not one that'll ever be considered a true classic of the genre.
  2. Sep 11, 2013
    FF 12 is perhaps my least favorite FF game. It isn't bad, just rather generic and forgettable.

Graphics are beautiful and has some of the prettiest scenery pieces of all the FF games. The combat system was a little rough around the edges, but I liked it and thought it was a bold step changing the tried and true JRPG battle system. The lead character Vaan is as bland as they get and

The lead character Vaan is as bland as they get and completely forgettable. Side characters on the other hand are a bit more distinguished and have a bit more depth, even if their designs are a little odd and feel a little out of place.

FF XII has some of the best creature battles of the series. The creatures are rich, varied and extremely challenging.

Overall:
    Final Fantasy XII is decent enough for a FF game, but also feels like the designers just put the same level of love and care into it as they did with the previous games. Fun to play, but you won't remember too much about it once you're done.
  3. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece game. One of my favorite final fantasies and favorite games of all time. You feel like everything happening in this world is happening in real time. You really care about your characters and the outcome of their journey!
  4. Jul 12, 2011
    this FF game just didnt do much for me the story i felt was very weak . the voice acting was ok atleast. the combat system i didnt care much for it was almost like they where tryin to hybred FFXI into this . the summoning magic system sucked . i made it all the way to the final boss area and just got bored with it all and didnt feel like finishing it mainly because the story didnt holdthis FF game just didnt do much for me the story i felt was very weak . the voice acting was ok atleast. the combat system i didnt care much for it was almost like they where tryin to hybred FFXI into this . the summoning magic system sucked . i made it all the way to the final boss area and just got bored with it all and didnt feel like finishing it mainly because the story didnt hold alot of intrest for me and thats so key for me pushing foward. i thinki the only reason i made it that far was i was in denial that the story wasnt very good and wanted to believe it was really gona pick up. Expand
  5. Oct 3, 2010
    This game starts off slow then after a while you get used to the controls and combat and for a while I was even having some fun but that doesn't last long. This game marks the first Final Fantasy I could not play to the end and I think this is a good indicator as to when SE started to lose their quality in RPG making.
  6. Jun 25, 2013
    The first six hours were a bit of a trudge; to begin with it didn't "feel" like (previous) Final Fantasy but once I got used to the mechanics FFXII really grew on me, possibly due to the innumerable similarities to Star Wars or the fact that it resembles western RPG "dungeon crawlers" in places (the influence on the Dragon Age games is huge). Characters are a bit flat thus excluding anyThe first six hours were a bit of a trudge; to begin with it didn't "feel" like (previous) Final Fantasy but once I got used to the mechanics FFXII really grew on me, possibly due to the innumerable similarities to Star Wars or the fact that it resembles western RPG "dungeon crawlers" in places (the influence on the Dragon Age games is huge). Characters are a bit flat thus excluding any sufficient emotional engagement to them (or the story), but not so it prevented me from enjoying either. The politicking, scheming and manoeuvring amongst the antagonists was well done. Impressive visual design, a common criticism is the lack of a Nobuo Uematsu score; which is noticeable at first, though Hitoshi Sakimoto's music fits the game perfectly and certainly grew on me enough that I had to buy the soundtrack. Gameplay can get repetitive in places and the new battle system negates any sort of strategy (the free camera is also an annoyance in confined areas) but the game is well worth playing through to the satisfying (and spectacular) finalé. Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    Let's start with a very simple sentence: this game is BORING! Let's start with the plot: even though i didn't follow all of it in 10 hours, I still really didn't get a single bit of it mainly because of the "main protagonists" being extras (literally, Vaan can be kicked out of the plot, and probably nothing would change. I think), and also for the fact that it's kinda boring in general: aLet's start with a very simple sentence: this game is BORING! Let's start with the plot: even though i didn't follow all of it in 10 hours, I still really didn't get a single bit of it mainly because of the "main protagonists" being extras (literally, Vaan can be kicked out of the plot, and probably nothing would change. I think), and also for the fact that it's kinda boring in general: a good story should hook me into it, but not even my friends could understand it. Second, the gameplay: they said this is a great final fantasy due to the fact they 1) removed random encounters (surely a plus) 2) lots of subquests 3) the combat system. With the exception of the first, I gotta say that this game is more like an mmorpg...in the wrong ways, because subquests should be a part of the game, NOT the main part of the game: you'll do constantly subquests because you NEED money, and you'll just lose interest in the game because you'll need to grind!. Right, since it looks like a mmorpg, you need to farm money in order to buy everything (but you need to unlock them first...), and they really are overpriced in my opinion. All this makes this game extremely slow, boring and unappealing. And at last...the combat system. People said the gambit and the fact you could move "freely" on the battlefield was the best thing of all. Yes, you can move freely while fighting. Yes, you can use gambit to improve fighting. No, it's not action-based; it's still turn-based. This detail made me really annoyed because it was the same system used in old final fantasy, except that you had to move too in order to attack...that's where gambit comes in, letting your character be controlled by orders, so he attacks by himself...so I'm letting the game play for me now. In general, I don't understand why they had to make this system a "hybrid" when they could have just go for normal turn based (or a proper action-based), since you'll do the same thing as in the other final fantasy games or any other turn-based rpg, and yet people say this is one of the best. Don't even wanna start bragging about the fact that the 6 character are also virtually the same (they can learn the same spells, armor, skills: everything!), so I'm gonna say this: try it if you are a nostalgic, skip it if you're looking for something more fun to play. Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2014
    For a Final Fantasy game, it's not great. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good game, but not FF VI or VII quality. I started to question the series when XI came out. I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's and when I looked at the combat in this game, and saw how similar it looked to XI, I was hesitant to get it. But I got it because of my inner fanboy. The gameplay worked out well in the end,For a Final Fantasy game, it's not great. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good game, but not FF VI or VII quality. I started to question the series when XI came out. I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's and when I looked at the combat in this game, and saw how similar it looked to XI, I was hesitant to get it. But I got it because of my inner fanboy. The gameplay worked out well in the end, although it's not the most engaging for me. The story took a lot of ideas from Star Wars making this game pretty unoriginal. Although, the environments, and the lengthy gameplay made up for some of its flaws. One of my biggest complaints though, would have to be the main character. Like many people have said, he's pretty much pointless to the story and you can finish the game without even leveling him up after getting more party members. But again, a lot of its strong points make up for these flaws in the game. If you're looking for a game to start the FF series with, don't start with this. But, if you are already familiar with the series, then give this a try. 9/10 Expand
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    The gambit system is the best KI system to date. You can tell your characters exactly what and when they should do something. The battle system by itself is also very good having a nice tempo and style to it. The world is bigger than in previous ff´s and beautiful. The OST backs the atmosphere of the game having some really nice tracks in it. Easily best RPG in the PS 2 Era.
  10. Mar 1, 2012
    One of the best directions this series went. Final fantasy XII has what i consider the most enjoyable combat/gameplay/freedom of the entire series by a insurmountable margin. The European shades and character designs clash perfectly with the hint of japanese that peeks out. If my viewpoint had weight, I would suggest they keep this as the next gen look/feel. The world feels grounded andOne of the best directions this series went. Final fantasy XII has what i consider the most enjoyable combat/gameplay/freedom of the entire series by a insurmountable margin. The European shades and character designs clash perfectly with the hint of japanese that peeks out. If my viewpoint had weight, I would suggest they keep this as the next gen look/feel. The world feels grounded and makes the magical have a context - instead of making everything over-the-top and never having the power of that transition between the two. Basically, this game does everything so much better than other final fantasy games except one super important thing - the story itself. It's a little lacking, and the connection to the characters is a little less significant throughout the coarse of the game. World - 10/10 Gameplay - 9/10 - Story - 7/10 Expand
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed this one! Final Fantasy XII has a great political fantasy story. The story stays compelling and interesting and it doesn't fall on it's self. Diverse cast of characters and they are all memorable. Also the character development is great. Licenceboard system is great and new gameplay is very deep. Every RPG fun should check this out.
  12. Sep 2, 2012
    I will start off by saying that this game for me is definitely better than FF10 and FF10-2, but I wouldn't place it on the exact level as FF 1-9, mostly due to authenticity. FF 1 - FF 9 will always be a special set for me and I consider these games "classic." Final Fantasy 12 does a much better job than 10 or 10-2 in trying something new and not loosing all its authenticity. First, FF12I will start off by saying that this game for me is definitely better than FF10 and FF10-2, but I wouldn't place it on the exact level as FF 1-9, mostly due to authenticity. FF 1 - FF 9 will always be a special set for me and I consider these games "classic." Final Fantasy 12 does a much better job than 10 or 10-2 in trying something new and not loosing all its authenticity. First, FF12 does look pretty nice on the PS2 and I do enjoy the new combat system where it is not as turn-based and you can move around while attacking. Also, even though the maps aren't completely non-linear, they do a much better job compared to 10 and 10-2. This game is a challenge for sure, you will get stuck in certain places and have to train to progress. There is nothing wrong with this, its the way the game is meant to be. Anyone remember how hard FF1 was at first? It was actually unbearable at certain points :) FF 12 brings in fresh ideas, but I am not a huge fan of the crystarium leveling and I think this is where I miss the other games the most. There are many people though that really enjoy this system, you may be one of them! I also have to say that I am really not a fan of the time spent on Cocoon, kind of a slow start to a FF game and this is the linear part of the game. If you are a fan of the series though, I believe they did make some improvements but they can even take it further. Expand
  13. Jun 12, 2011
    This game is terrible; its high metacritic score is the result of the name of the game and the producer. In reality, this game is ****

The problem arises on many fronts. Firstly, the main character, Vaan, sucks. Indeed, he, along with Penelo, were shoehorned into the game late in development because they had concerns that the original main character, Basch, was too manly for the

The problem arises on many fronts.

Firstly, the main character, Vaan, sucks. Indeed, he, along with Penelo, were shoehorned into the game late in development because they had concerns that the original main character, Basch, was too manly for the Japanese. It shows. He is basically uninvolved with the story and uninteresting in general, and he basically stands back whenever story sequences occur and is completely irrelevant. He should never have been in there in the first place.

Secondly, the pacing of this game is abominable. You run for hours and hours for a fifteen minute bit of dialogue, then do it again. At one point, you go through four or six huge areas just to get to the next plot point; it is simply awful and you lose all interest in the game.

Thirdly, the gameplay is bad. The game is insanely easy and boring in its ease, and indeed, you can turn on gambits and cruise through the whole game - your input is barely required, really, and that is just bad.

Fourthly, the bonus content, such as the extra bosses, are just meaningless grind fests with millions of hit points which take hours to kill but are uninteresting in being fought; they just are an endurance challenge, as they are not particularly difficult to beat, just incredibly time consuming.

All in all, this game is bad, and marks the start of Final Fantasy games just not getting it.
  14. Mar 20, 2012
    This is not a Final Fantasy game. It´s a Star Wars game. The history is bored and slow. FFXII has good graphical, good music and the game play is entertained. As adventure, it is a great game, but as Final Fantasy not.
  15. Jan 16, 2012
    Many fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects ofMany fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects of planning your battle commands beforehand but in the event you really do not like the battle system, Gambits can be turned off for a more traditional Final Fantasy style of gameplay. Once Gamebits have been turned off, the battle system becomes Final Fantasy except with a controllable character and seamless battles, both of which are enormous improvements to the game. I fear many people have dismissed this game far too early, and if they had taken the time to appreciate the mechanics of the game they would have been able to experience one of the most intricate stories and deep characters ever created in a Final Fantasy game. Expand
  16. Jan 5, 2015
    My favorite of all the final fantasy games, truly a work of art, even today most new gen console games can't hold a candle to this in terms of story, character development, combat/Strategy and environment.
    If we get a HD remake I'll buy it in heart beat.
  17. Jul 3, 2011
    I like the visuals and everything about the game. It's the work put into it that leaves me catching some "z"s. I definitely think there is too much work for too little of a plot to actually spend my 80-100 hours of gameplay on.
  18. Jan 1, 2014
    Games in the series FF are my favorite. I burn with love for Final Fantasy VIII, but XII is also great! Games differ radically: Final Fantasy XII has new characters, story, combat system, open and different world, and of course the graphics and music. Twelfth part series leading Square Enix uses all the possibilities PS2 and more! Rendered animations are just beautiful, moreover, the sameGames in the series FF are my favorite. I burn with love for Final Fantasy VIII, but XII is also great! Games differ radically: Final Fantasy XII has new characters, story, combat system, open and different world, and of course the graphics and music. Twelfth part series leading Square Enix uses all the possibilities PS2 and more! Rendered animations are just beautiful, moreover, the same goes for textures. The characters are designed with the idea and I curiously followed their fate. The new combat system was difficult for me to get used to but I managed, and finally I really liked.It is very different from that of the eighth part of the FF but I really liked him. I believe that the game 100 percent deserved 10/10 from PlayStation magazine. I hope you enjoy it too Expand
  19. Oct 7, 2013
    EVERY single character in FF12 is bland and boring, the most important characters are actually the worst ones and the least developed. You don't really get to learn much about any character's life or history and you never really care about them. There are very few NPCs to interact with and even they don't have anything good to say. Most areas are really boring because there is nothingEVERY single character in FF12 is bland and boring, the most important characters are actually the worst ones and the least developed. You don't really get to learn much about any character's life or history and you never really care about them. There are very few NPCs to interact with and even they don't have anything good to say. Most areas are really boring because there is nothing interesting in these areas and most of the game is just fighting your way through some boring enemies and when you actually get to the point where it seems like the game might actually provide something substantial story-wise, you get dirt thrown in your face, a cut-scene where nobody says anything. When you level up, you just level up, woopdeedoo. The final boss is a piece of cake. There is zero memorable about FF12 except the lovely sun in one area and Penelo's face. Expand
  20. dz9
    Jul 27, 2011
    I'm going to start my review with the checklist that each RPG game, and Final Fantasy games in particular have to pass. Great cast of characters, immersive world, engaging story, strategic combat, and a good open feeling (but in FF's case, an open yet linear guidance) with presentation. Characters- This is one of the only FF games where I can say I liked every cast member, most FF gamesI'm going to start my review with the checklist that each RPG game, and Final Fantasy games in particular have to pass. Great cast of characters, immersive world, engaging story, strategic combat, and a good open feeling (but in FF's case, an open yet linear guidance) with presentation. Characters- This is one of the only FF games where I can say I liked every cast member, most FF games only produce 2-4 good characters whereas FF13 only produced one...but this game everyone added their own twist to the story. However, there was one character who fell flat as compared to the others, and sad to say, in this one, it was the main character Vaan. His role in the story is rather irrelevant, especially when you compare him to characters like Cloud, Tidus, and Zidane. Don't get me wrong, his voice actor was great, and he is favorable, but as the main character, he went a little limp. Immersive world- the world of Ivalice is great, maybe not as gorgeous as some of the environments in FF10, but Ivalice is definitely a win. As far as the engaging story...well... this may be up to opinion. Whereas most FF stories are completely "out of this world," and the main characters are chosen to save the realm from one great villain, this FF title focuses more on a "down to earth" approach, for example: most plot points are more politically based with a slight mix of fantasy, whereas its usually the other way around. This may be a killer to hardcore fans, and don't get me wrong, in its essence, it's still not the greatest story Square could've came up with, but it still is deep and engaging with only a few pacing problems. Combat- the combat in the game may also be a killer to hardcore fans because of the lack of the traditional turn base combat. But in its core, it still is turn based, and the new look and feel is exactly what FF needed. However, the gambit system in the game could use some work, gambits range from malfunctioning, annoying, or too easy. Also not at its best is the license board. The license board is basically the sphere grid but with way more freedom to level up as you please. Which sounds good, but without the strategy guide, you can be leveling the completely wrong way and the game never truly gives you any guidance in this department. And to me, the biggest drawback to the combat is the lack of guidance, every weapon is different and have their perks and disadvantages to them....which is a good, but the game never actually tells you anything, and again... without the strategy guide, the overwhelming customization with the license board and armory may in the end, ruin your experience. Freedom- This game is rather linear as compared to earlier titles, but not enough to make the gamer feel "constricted," and is definitely no where near as linear as FF13. Side quests are about "half in half," half of the hunts and other side quests are fun and entertaining, whereas the other half is boring and confusing and are barely good enough to endure. In the end- FF 12 is a great game, sure it has its drawbacks and flaws, but most of them are minor and permissible. The Good: FF12 has great customization of the likes that previous FF games have never even seen, great graphics for a ps2 game, a good cast of characters, great innovation to the combat (but could still use some work), and an above average story. The Bad: FF12 never really teaches the gamer how to utilize the customization options, the main character is rather stale, half of the side quests are more than lackluster, and depending on the gamer... gambits may be best to keep off. Honestly, this is not Square's best title, you will definitely be able to distinguish between the quality of this title, and the likes of FF:6,7,9,& 10. However, this title is definitely worthy of its name and shows great innovation and promise for the future of Final Fantasy (excluding 13) Expand
  21. Oct 6, 2011
    Not necessarily a bad game, if you can ignore the fact that the game has a hard time deciding who we should care about, in terms of the story. That is to say that Vaan was dead weight. The gameplay was surprisingly addicting though. As a dungeon-crawler, it's a really enjoyable experience advancing through the many beautifully-rendered levels, battling all of these amazing creatures inNot necessarily a bad game, if you can ignore the fact that the game has a hard time deciding who we should care about, in terms of the story. That is to say that Vaan was dead weight. The gameplay was surprisingly addicting though. As a dungeon-crawler, it's a really enjoyable experience advancing through the many beautifully-rendered levels, battling all of these amazing creatures in real-time. I certainly think that on a technical level it pushed the PS2 to its limit. Technicalities aside, Final Fantasy XII is like any other Final Fantasy: a new story, battle system, music etc. It just so happens to be a "western" RPG. Not the kind of change I was expecting to see. Expand
  22. Nov 22, 2012
    some people say this game is bad......... WHAT!? most of the things they say are opinion, like "I DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS DIFFERENT" yeah its different and its BETTER. square enix tried to give us a new battle system that actually made sense, before you were forced into a battle after taking a few steps which was ANNOYING. it wasn't too bad, but i'd say this battlesome people say this game is bad......... WHAT!? most of the things they say are opinion, like "I DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS DIFFERENT" yeah its different and its BETTER. square enix tried to give us a new battle system that actually made sense, before you were forced into a battle after taking a few steps which was ANNOYING. it wasn't too bad, but i'd say this battle system is BETTER. another thing, people complain about the soundtrack saying it was not as good as previous games................ heres something you should try........... TURN UP THE VOLUME! Expand
  23. Dec 6, 2011
    The best game of my gamer life. Final Fantasy XII has a rich world, amazing party and beautiful graphics. Haters gonna hater but the majority liked this game. Just look at 92/100 and 77/100 on user score.
  24. Oct 14, 2011
    I thought the battle system was awkward, but this is a pretty solid game. I used to play Final Fantasy XI, and honestly - Final Fantasy XII is what Final Fantasy XI should have been. I can go out and fight whenever I want, without having to seek help for a few hours. It would be fun if Square made an online game where you control a party, not a single character. I think that's where theyI thought the battle system was awkward, but this is a pretty solid game. I used to play Final Fantasy XI, and honestly - Final Fantasy XII is what Final Fantasy XI should have been. I can go out and fight whenever I want, without having to seek help for a few hours. It would be fun if Square made an online game where you control a party, not a single character. I think that's where they went wrong in their online games. Could you imagine playing any Final Fantasy, just with a 1 character party? Exactly. Onto the review. The battle system lets you basically program how your characters are to act. The skill grid is great, if you invest enough time into the game each character can obtain all the skills, except for the summons, which are one per character. They let you build your characters however you see fit. If you liked Final Fantasy XI , this is like playing that, except single player, no subscription fees, and straight out more fun. The story left me confused though, I wasn't sure exactly what I was fighting for. Still a solid score, however. Expand
  25. Jul 14, 2012
    Another miss-score Final Fantasy XII is awesome and done the best out of all FF titles on PS2 for its epic story and FMV's which help immerse players into the game
  26. Feb 20, 2012
    When all is said and done with the Final Fantasy franchise, I won't be surprised if VII and XII still stand out to me as the games that completely consumed me while I was playing them. Granted, it took me a couple tries to establish any momentum with this game (but that's fairly common for me). Once I did, I fell in love with the gambit system. It has become the measuring stick by which IWhen all is said and done with the Final Fantasy franchise, I won't be surprised if VII and XII still stand out to me as the games that completely consumed me while I was playing them. Granted, it took me a couple tries to establish any momentum with this game (but that's fairly common for me). Once I did, I fell in love with the gambit system. It has become the measuring stick by which I judge every combat mechanic in a game that goes beyond needing a single player and single character to accomplish everything. I wish ever MMO I played let me set up a FF12-like gambit system for as many characters as I need to fill out a party or raid. Any game that does....just reminds me how much I loved FF12. I finished all but the last hunt (as I could only stomach one four-hour attempt, only to have it end when a rez didn't happen quickly enough while the guy was one-shotting the group), which is more effort I've put into a non-MMO since FF7. Near perfection, this game's only shortcoming, from my perspective, is the vacuous story that was heavy on pageantry and light on having a point. Expand
  27. Mar 16, 2012
    Final fantasy 12, the one where I give up on the franchise. Starting with 10 I noticed a decrease in quality but this in particular killed it. Hopefully with 13 and 13-2 the name has been redeemed. Back in topic, the first hours are actually ok, I dare to say enjoyable. Users are introduced to the new battle system that it's actually more interesting that most people give credit for.Final fantasy 12, the one where I give up on the franchise. Starting with 10 I noticed a decrease in quality but this in particular killed it. Hopefully with 13 and 13-2 the name has been redeemed. Back in topic, the first hours are actually ok, I dare to say enjoyable. Users are introduced to the new battle system that it's actually more interesting that most people give credit for. People complain that the game plays itself, but it's not true, it's up to the player. If you choose to focus on attacking the nearest enemy of course that's what the characters will do. People forget that they can manually input commands for each character, but hey! Haters gonna hate no matter what. Areas are also huge to explore, one can literally get lost while traveling with branching paths, hidden paths and so on. So, with a good battle system, good exploration, why I disliked this game? Because of one simple thing:reward. The pacing is awful, you can spend hours when nothing happens and when finally you see a cutscene, most of the time is :" we arrived here, now we're going there". The story is lacking, I felt that the plot was moving forward but the characters had nothing to do with it, it doesn't help that Vaan, the main character, stays in the background during nothing most of the time. With character I couldn't care about, a lacking-story, side-quests relegated to monster-hunting, it's not difficult to understand why I gave up. It was impossible, almost inconceivable that a final fantasy lover like me could do such a thing. I finished the game only because I didn't want to have the feel of having wasted 60 euros on such it. Nothing in this game really stands out, nor the characters, nor the story, nor the music, the most interesting things happen during the prologue. Some may like it, if they manage to stay awake. Expand
  28. Jun 29, 2011
    Lots of potential, little follow through. So many missed opportunities for greatness. The problem is that this game had a great set up and the first 20 hours are packed with intrigue and excitement, then after that first 20 hours it simply falls off, and settles into this grindy MMO feel. You'll be traversing miles of game world killing random mobs with little effort for 10 hours at aLots of potential, little follow through. So many missed opportunities for greatness. The problem is that this game had a great set up and the first 20 hours are packed with intrigue and excitement, then after that first 20 hours it simply falls off, and settles into this grindy MMO feel. You'll be traversing miles of game world killing random mobs with little effort for 10 hours at a time, or so it feels. It's tedious.

The combat system is in some ways brilliant but at other times cripples the game because it will simply play itself with little to no attention from the player. I think a difficulty overhaul would have done wonders, because the game is fun when you have to actually think about what you're doing with your Gambits and such, but for the most part it's just on auto-pilot. Sadly, the game really doesn't offer much past the first 20 hours, and I can't really recommend it to anyone. It also has one of the worst endings in Final Fantasy history, mostly because it comes out nowhere, but that could mostly be attributed to the awful storyline which never really gets you to care about anything, but that's no surprise when you're randomly running around a massive world mindlessly grinding on mobs.

A true shame really. What could have been...
  29. Nov 5, 2010
    The JRPG market has been dead and foul-smelling for a long time. Growing up in the 90's I first got my taste of their rpg's back when it was a fresh concept, with Final Fantasy IV and Phantasy Star I being my first, but it's a sad thing to see that their combat mechanics have changed in the way that evolution changes organisms...extremely freakin slow. In that time I've slogged throughThe JRPG market has been dead and foul-smelling for a long time. Growing up in the 90's I first got my taste of their rpg's back when it was a fresh concept, with Final Fantasy IV and Phantasy Star I being my first, but it's a sad thing to see that their combat mechanics have changed in the way that evolution changes organisms...extremely freakin slow. In that time I've slogged through FF VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XI and with each new addition, I've felt the same way about their new "changed mechanics" for their combat: It still sucks. I don't know if the developers had a hair up their ass this time, but whatever the case XII is a refreshing new look at this series. First for me is that the combat was actually fun and strategic, as well as engaging. The ability to program your characters routines, via the Gambit System, is an excellent addition to help alleviate the grinding that inevitably dawns on a JRPG, but is still flexible enough to allow you to take control of your characters at any moment. Options is the key, as options can be taken or left depending on your tastes. So you don't have to use the Gambits if you don't want to, but it will always be accessible if you change your mind. This is good. Many people seem to hate the characters, and I do agree Vaan is pretty annoying at times, but in XII the main characters are less obvious. You play through the view point of Vaan, but you'll quickly learn that two of the other characters that join you are the true protagonists of the story. This didn't bother me one bit, and I found the characters to be really different from previous Final Fantasies, and although Penelo seems kind of a throw back, most of the characters are very human and believable. The story is very in-depth and more of one about nations vying for power, politics, and grey areas for motivations, which are all elements that I love. The pacing is pretty fast at times, although there are moments where it does lag and lose focus, but I think it servers as a good moment to side quest to break up the constant advance of the story. These side quests are obviously optional, so you could just rush through the story as quickly as possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. FF XII is as close to a sandbox as you're gonna get for a JRPG, and I really appreciated their attempt to not conform to typical JRPG standards. This is probably the most western approach they've taken that I can recall. One of the things that makes this game shine is the voice over's, which are amazing when compared to pretty much anything. The quality of the voices and the accents are interesting (I can never get enough of Fran's accent) and it makes you look forward to those moments when the characters speak. I can't say the same about the music, however. It isn't bad, but it isn't the best of the series, and sometimes I don't even notice it's there. Overall if you are interested in a non-linear JRPG, with open exploration, great combat mechanics, an interesting and highly political story, and a mostly memorable (if somewhat small) main cast, then this will make you smile. It did for me and renewed my interest in a decrepit and ailing series. (Insert obligatory Final Fantasy XIII jab here) Expand
  30. Jan 8, 2013
    Final Fantasy XII is an amazing game, like all Square Enix games. This game is probably the best Final Fantasy in terms of things to do. You could spend 50 hours on the main story line, and then have content worth another 100 hours still left to do, and whats great about it is that it gives you ultimate freedom. Tired of doing the story line? You can go do mark missions, or find sideFinal Fantasy XII is an amazing game, like all Square Enix games. This game is probably the best Final Fantasy in terms of things to do. You could spend 50 hours on the main story line, and then have content worth another 100 hours still left to do, and whats great about it is that it gives you ultimate freedom. Tired of doing the story line? You can go do mark missions, or find side quests, or just explore and level up. The game has some of the best boss battles of the FF series, and wonderful areas to explore. A lot of people seem to hate the new combat system, but I for one love it and think it was a great change new change to their games up until this point. Expand
  31. Sep 14, 2014
    Epico e grandioso, com uma grande historia , jogabilidade e suas sideguest o jogo o prende por horas sem vc nem ao menos perceber. Mas um grande Final Fantasy da Square.
  32. Nov 25, 2010
    Some people prefer the classic Pokemon style controls. Some people prefer full-free control. If you like one or the other, you will not enjoy this game's battle style. If you decide, however, to look past the quite annoying battle system in this episode of the never ending franchise you may just find, well... the storyline also sucks. While it isn't as bland as some stories, this videoSome people prefer the classic Pokemon style controls. Some people prefer full-free control. If you like one or the other, you will not enjoy this game's battle style. If you decide, however, to look past the quite annoying battle system in this episode of the never ending franchise you may just find, well... the storyline also sucks. While it isn't as bland as some stories, this video game just doesn't reach expectations. Maybe it is because the story of, say FFX, set the bar so high, or maybe FFXII's story is just overall dull. I recommend NOT playing this game to FF fans and non-fans alike. Expand
  33. Mar 27, 2014
    Final Fantasy XII is a rather innovative title in the long-running series, but not a very good game. There is less user involvement in battles, and the game has questionable design decisions, such as not being able to obtain the strongest weapon due to your looting random chests earlier in the game. The biggest problem with FF XII is the inconsistent pacing. At times the story moves farFinal Fantasy XII is a rather innovative title in the long-running series, but not a very good game. There is less user involvement in battles, and the game has questionable design decisions, such as not being able to obtain the strongest weapon due to your looting random chests earlier in the game. The biggest problem with FF XII is the inconsistent pacing. At times the story moves far too quickly, at times it moves like molasses. Worst, the dialogue has no depth. We're told and shown how unfortunate the characters are, but we don't really feel for any of them. Further, there are also two completely unnecessary characters on the roster, and those characters take up way too much of the story.

Commendable for changing the stale FF formula; it's a shame the game is awful.
  34. Sep 10, 2013
    I'm gonna be blunt since this game has been out for a long time, I've played it twice at its release and I've played through it again and I can only say this game is amazing. Not only is the battle system progressive, it even lets you choose how your AI functions (it's still better than FFXIII's). The story is deep and even though the characters aren't that profound (according to some),I'm gonna be blunt since this game has been out for a long time, I've played it twice at its release and I've played through it again and I can only say this game is amazing. Not only is the battle system progressive, it even lets you choose how your AI functions (it's still better than FFXIII's). The story is deep and even though the characters aren't that profound (according to some), you never wonder why the hell they're there instead of just leaving. This game really is an improvement for the Final Fantasy series and I seriously can't help but wonder why there are so many haters. I can see alot of fans are disappointed because there's no cliche romance in this chapter of the series but there's absolutely no need for one. Crying over spilt milk is what all the babies are doing, grown ups LOVE Final Fantasy XII Expand
  35. May 27, 2015
    This was my 1st Final Fantasy Game and my first impressions of it were not good let me tell ya. I used to hate this game I wanted to throw it out the window but for some reason I didn't.

~ Story ~ The story starts off with Reks who in my opinion would have made a better protagonist than Vaan but lets move on. After doing Roxas's Story I mean Reks Story you move on to Sora's Story I

~ Story ~

The story starts off with Reks who in my opinion would have made a better protagonist than Vaan but lets move on. After doing Roxas's Story I mean Reks Story you move on to Sora's Story I mean Vaan's Story. It starts off like this Vaan kills some rats than he goes on a hunting quest to kill a tomato so he can make tomato soup than he goes to Giza Plains to make a sunstone because the game wants to kill time. After that Vaan decides to go steal from the Castle Treasury because he read too many Sly Cooper Comics everything goes accordingly until he runs into Fran & Balthier and from there Vaan's long adventure begins.

In all seriousness the story is actually political and war like and I love that. I also love the dialogue in this game even if there isn't enough of it. Overall decent story.

~ Characters ~

Vaan - he wants revenge against the empire that stole his home of Dalmasca and his brother Reks. I consider Vaan a team player even if others don't. Vaan's outfit sucks I have no idea what Tetsuya Nomura was thinking.

Penelo - has no role in this story other than to watch over Vaan she really has no purpose in this story whatsoever and I don't consider her a team player.

Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca - She seeks peace yet also looms towards revenge she seeks to fight yet questions the methods for which she should do so she is a very interesting character and I wish she had more dialogue.

Basch Fon Rosenberg - A Fugitive seeking to atone for crimes he didn't commit. Freedom has blessed him with a chance to redeem himself and to free Dalmasca of Archadian Rule.

Balthier - The best character in this game and the guy Vaan aspires to become in the future.

Fran - She needs way more dialogue time. And her ears are just weird.

~ Sound ~

Not the best music ever but I did enjoy Soundtrack moderately. Some of the songs in the game now give me huge nostalgia and I like them more than I did when I 1st started playing this game.

~ Graphics ~

If only you were here you would hear me whistling to the masterpiece of FFXII's Graphics. My only issue is the attack & magic animations look kind of lame sometimes.

~ Gameplay ~

Waiting For An Attack - This was why I hated this game. You have to wait for a bar to load to attack? What kind of stupid **** is this?[In my head]. The characters have no abilities at all you only have Attack Techniks and various Magic Spells. Enemies all have different abilities and magic attacks what do you have? Oh you only have Attack useless Techniks & Magic wow. The game does get better and alot more fun as you move along since the bar loads way faster and you get Haste which speeds it up even more.

Mist Quickening - This is basically your trump card if your about to die or you just want to beat a boss quickly. But it takes away all your MP and you have to continuously press R2 and then press 1 of either Triangle Square Circle or X Buttons to do it right, you miss and all your MP is gone no take backs or do overs and if you need to heal your party your pretty much screwed unless you brought enough potions.

License Board - I love the License Board why? Because it looks so cool I feel like I'm playing a game inside a game when I use it. To gain the use of weapons armor magic techniks quickenings or summons you get in the game you need to get the License for it in the License Board through the use of LP[License Points] you'll get License Points from defeating monsters. The License Board can restrict things sometimes but I still think its fun to use and its not hard to get LP.

Gambits - Gambits are basically auto commands you set up in the main menu such as - Attack Nearby Enemies or When Poisoned - Use Antidote they come in useful for some situations like when your fighting a boss and you don't feel like using an Antidote while your fighting set up a Gambit for Balthier to use an antidote on you so you don't have to. There's alot of Gambits, you'll either find some or buy some.

Overall - The Gameplay is fun even if waiting for a bar to load to attack sounds stupid and retarded it is fun.

~ In The End ~

In the beginning I considered FFXII to be the worst game I ever played and I wished to throw into the deepest depths of fiery hell and watch it burn in the fire but after 3 years of trying to beat this stupid game the FFXII Strategy Guide my friend gave me and me beating the game again twice enjoying it alot more than the 1st time I have to say this is 1 of my favorite PS2 Games and I love it alot and I hope others will love it as well
  36. Sep 22, 2010
    All of it's elements combined Final Fantasy XII had the potential to be an amazing game, just like those before it, and from a gameplay perspective it is a worthy title. It makes some great changes to the standard role playing combat system that just plain work and leave you wondering why it hasn't been done before. Considering the gameplay combined with the visuals FF XII is one of theAll of it's elements combined Final Fantasy XII had the potential to be an amazing game, just like those before it, and from a gameplay perspective it is a worthy title. It makes some great changes to the standard role playing combat system that just plain work and leave you wondering why it hasn't been done before. Considering the gameplay combined with the visuals FF XII is one of the greatest games you could pick up for the PS2. However unlike the series titles before it FF XII doesn't have a story or characters of nearly equal quality and in the end it's only the lack of story and poorly developed characters that hold this title back from being as good as the Final Fantasy games that created the hordes of fans the series enjoys. If you play this game looking for an epic story with great characters it pains me to say that you will be extremely disappointed. However if your looking for a game that you can play for hours on end and not necessarily be sick of by the seventy hour mark you'll find that Final Fantasy XII certainly delivers. Expand
  37. Jan 9, 2015
    There is something to be said about the graphics and overall atmosphere of the game, but the characters and story are uninspiring and the battle system is about as fun as pushing the cruise control button on your steering wheel.
  38. Ogr
    Jun 28, 2014
    To make it short: FFXII is a great game and in my opinion better than FFX, critics show that they are equal but many fans seem to be disappointed by FFXII... I think it's because the usual Final Fantasy Fan wants a love story and doesn't like a more free to explore world and a political based story, FFXII is more adult than FFX.

FFXII has the better combat system, tons of stuff to do

FFXII has the better combat system, tons of stuff to do and explore, a great looking world and a nice (not great) story with no real main character... what I actually like.
  39. Sep 28, 2010
    It's a bit late to write a review for this game for I'll just hop in the wagon anyway. It's simple, it's like Final Fantasy XIII, the breaks boundaries when it comes to graphics and gameplay, but snoozes on plot and characters. The score for Final Fantasy XII is easily one of the weakest in the series, but to me gamplay is the heart of all games, and Final Fantasy shines by giving us aIt's a bit late to write a review for this game for I'll just hop in the wagon anyway. It's simple, it's like Final Fantasy XIII, the breaks boundaries when it comes to graphics and gameplay, but snoozes on plot and characters. The score for Final Fantasy XII is easily one of the weakest in the series, but to me gamplay is the heart of all games, and Final Fantasy shines by giving us a similar to MMOPRG style gameplay. I just want to say that I give props to whatever game that's willing to take risk so Square Enix, good for you. Expand
  40. Jan 4, 2015
    The graphical quality, objectively, is high. Though, I personally didn't care for the styling.
    The combat feels like an attempt at making a fake MMO. The first 15 hours or so, where I had to control everything almost completely manually was painfully bad. But then once you're able to give the characters enough automatic commands it gets better, for awhile. Then after about 70 hours or so, after you've completed the story and are doing extras, it slows down to a crawl as enemies have completely insane hp numbers.
    The story felt really small scale for a Final Fantasy title to me. Every Final Fantasy you're fighting for the fate of the entire world. In XII, you're basically involved in something along the lines of France VS the UK & Spain, but you never see Spain. The gamed ended at what I had expected to be the end of the 2nd act, but there's then no 3rd act.
    It's "okay". Worth a buy if you're looking for a JRPG and can't find anything better.
  41. Jan 20, 2012
    I love the game so much. It is the the second best final fantasy game next to FF 13. Up until now. I am still playing it. I'd finished this 11 times. Still ain't boring.
  42. Oct 29, 2013
    This is probably the best Final Fantasy game so far, in my opinion, this great tale of deception and political war games bring true thrill to those who seek the finest in storytelling. The battle system is different from it's predecessors, but it works very well. You don't need to worry about cheesy clichés that plague your average RPG, this is a grown up Final Fantasy title and it isThis is probably the best Final Fantasy game so far, in my opinion, this great tale of deception and political war games bring true thrill to those who seek the finest in storytelling. The battle system is different from it's predecessors, but it works very well. You don't need to worry about cheesy clichés that plague your average RPG, this is a grown up Final Fantasy title and it is waiting for open minds to play it. Expand
  43. Mar 9, 2011
    A beautiful, engrossing experience, and a downright fun game to play. While the character development is somewhat lacking and the voice acting is spotty, at best, the game's strengths more than make up for its weaknesses. The combat system is crisp and fulfilling. While you only control one character at the time, you can easily hop between characters to insert a necessary command,A beautiful, engrossing experience, and a downright fun game to play. While the character development is somewhat lacking and the voice acting is spotty, at best, the game's strengths more than make up for its weaknesses. The combat system is crisp and fulfilling. While you only control one character at the time, you can easily hop between characters to insert a necessary command, although the extensive "Gambit" system allows you to customize the actions of your non-controlled party members with such specificity that you usually won't have to. The special move system is also interesting, although a little too random and costly, in my opinion. Using up your entire party's MP on a chain of moves that might not work out in the end can be really annoying. Also, summons weren't all that effective, and didn't seem to play too important a role in the game. Generally, though, the difficulty always seems to be just right, which makes for a challenging RPG that isn't frustrating. The world is massive, varied and intricately detailed. Unlike many RPGs that have come since, you will never encounter a recycled environment or cookie-cutter dungeon. Additionally, enemy designs are interesting and fairly varied.

There are side quests to be had, though none as fulfilling as those from FFVI, VII, IX and X. The side quests are essentially a series of "Hunts," where you go to various places in the world to kill a particular monster. There isn't much depth to many of them, though they can be very challenging. Fans of past FF games will be slightly disappointed with the fairly limited number of end-game, open-world options.

The experience and leveling system is also interesting, unique and rewarding. It is sort of a combination of Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy X. You have your standard leveling, which increases all your standard stats, but you also accrue points which you can spend to purchase abilities from a skill grid that is far less linear than FFX's sphere grid. As you work your way to edges of the grid, abilities become more expensive and more powerful. Unlocking the grid is rewarding and interesting.

Overall, a great game with a few flaws. Definitely a fulfilling way to spend 45+ hours of your life.

Overall, this is a great game.
  44. Nov 26, 2013
    On the subject of the game play only, FF-XII introduces a new type of battle mechanic unique to the Final Fantasy games. It gives an air of pseudo-real time combat which strays from Final Fantasy's traditional turn-based actions. Its innovative and adds to the level of immersion because it deliberately demands one's attention. The player technically only ever controls one of the threeOn the subject of the game play only, FF-XII introduces a new type of battle mechanic unique to the Final Fantasy games. It gives an air of pseudo-real time combat which strays from Final Fantasy's traditional turn-based actions. Its innovative and adds to the level of immersion because it deliberately demands one's attention. The player technically only ever controls one of the three characters at a time, as the other two are governed by AI and a new system called "Gambits" which are basically a set of instructions and priorities programmed by the player for the character AIs to follow. This allows the player to essentially control their entire team at once while being in an pseudo-real time battle. Understanding the functionality of gambits will consume time, as it requires experimentation and strategy. Players will need carefully crafted gambits to tackle the most difficult of bosses. Expand
  45. Apr 16, 2014
    People have been saying that every Final Fantasy under the Square Enix title has sucked, but with XII it is not so. With a great story, an incredibly large open world, a well designed combat system, good soundtrack, and an extremely complex but very fun gameplay. Final Fantasy 12 is definitely my favorite of all the Final Fantasy games.
  46. Apr 26, 2012
    Everything about this game speaks of mediocrity. I've tried to play this game three times and it is simply impossible to do. I was a huge final fantasy fan and I picked this game up on it's release and played for a few hours before becoming disappointed and not touching it for a year. I tried again and struggled up to the Stillshrine of Merriam where I simply couldn't get any furtherEverything about this game speaks of mediocrity. I've tried to play this game three times and it is simply impossible to do. I was a huge final fantasy fan and I picked this game up on it's release and played for a few hours before becoming disappointed and not touching it for a year. I tried again and struggled up to the Stillshrine of Merriam where I simply couldn't get any further because I didn't grind. I picked it up again and March to play through because I simply wondered if I did not give this game a fair try. I spent hours grinding in the Lhusu mines and didn't struggle any longer but then of course it just became so boring. I'll try to give a run down of what I experienced in my last game.

The characters were indeed as bad I remembered, Vaan is in the top 10 of worst video game characters PERIOD. No one on the cast was really likable as none of them have any development. Baltheir, the character many cite as the best, is little more than a generic jerk. It's clear that Bashe was intended to be the main character at one point and when they scrapped that for Vaan they were unable to fix the dialogue and characters before releasing the game. The bad guys get multiple times more character development than the characters you use do.

The combat is BORING. You don't actually do much of anything you sit there and watch your character do all the work. There are no interesting abilities, gone are monk, dragoon and other abilities you might be familiar with and instead you get 3 abilities you need a math degree to use properly and another "dark" attack that takes health to use which is basically juts an auto attack. In fact magic is gimped in a variety of was, the biggest being you don't get the gambits you need for it until the end of the game. Because magic is gimped what you get is a "tank" a melee attacker and a healer which is quite boring. And for a game that has a "aggro" mechanic it's terrible, you have no way to control it until you get decoy which is just a spell you're going to have one of your characters spam on your tank every time it runs out which automatically makes him have all the aggro. The story seems confused and disjointed. It starts out with a good back drop but then stagnates. FFXII all but lacks the epic sceenes and emotional story twists one would come to expect from this series. It didn't help that some environments like the Sand Sea were so pointlessly huge that by the time you got to your destination you could forget why you were going there in the first place.

Grinding, why would they go back to this? I didn't play any other RPG on the PS or the PS2 that required me to grind. Why after 7, 8, 9, and 10 would they go back to the SNES era of grinding in order to progress?

I've never made it past the Stillshrine of Merriam it simply becomes impossible to care about getting further the combat is pointlessly boring, the story moves slower than a snail, and I really don't care what happens to any of these characters. This game is one of the biggest disappointments in the history of gaming, by no strech of logic can I understand how this game has such a high score. I started this review calling it mediocre and it is, but for a game so boring and pointlessly long that I can't even complete this game deserves the low score I'm giving it.
  47. Nov 12, 2014
    I've played nearly every core game in the Final Fantasy, and this one has my favorite battle system. Your characters run around and fight in real time instead of having to wait through a cut scene animation for every battle.

The story is a bit weak compared to other games in the series. There are amazing characters, but I don't feel like the game spent enough time developing them. That is to say, the story was still better than what you'll find in most other games, but it wasn't Final Fantasy quality. However, the battle system totally makes up for it. 10/10 for enjoyment.
  48. Nov 18, 2010
    Good things first.
    + The story is adequately complex with a number of turns, and it goes with the whole style of the game. Without going into detail, I think Square came up with something exceptional here.
    Good things first.
    + You better believe the aesthetics were brilliant, cutscenes no exception. Square's usual originality was apparent in the world of Ivalice - the sandsea, for instance, or the Giza plains becoming a swamp/marsh. Besides Penelo, who I thought was a bit flat, the voice acting was superb. I liked the royalty obvious in Ashe's voice, the down-to-earth quality of Vaan's voice, and I fell in love with the uniqueness of Fran's voice. Going from FF10 to FF12 there is definitely more graphical detail and polish all around.
    + The gameplay was not what I was expecting, which is a good thing in general. It has more elements than most games: Multiple types of magick, many technicks, quickenings/summonings, and gambits. There are 5 things each character can equp, and each combination has advantages or disadvantage, such as a ninja sword versus a dagger/shield. The six characters can potentially use any weapon and gain any ability with the License Board, much like the Sphere Grid in FF10, but where the Sphere Grid forces you to differentiate the characters first (ie: LuLu learns black magic, Yuna learns white magic, Tidus gains strength/speed, etc.) the License Board lets you change up their weapons and abilities at virtually any point in the game. Not better or worse - just new and different. The fighting system is a fresh update as well. While the gambits could automate the fighting entirely, you have the option of turning them off, so no complaints there. Where FF10 had a passive, turn-based fight system, FF12 has an active, real-time fight system. Again, no worse or better. Both are refined.

Now for the critiques.
    - The characters themselves were great. They were obviously deep people with complex pasts and stories to tell. That much was clear. But those stories never came to light. 30 hours into the game, I was still meeting new characters, and I was still expecting guy/girl to hook up or someone to reveal some shocking truth. There could have been a flashback, a description of some special memory, anything, please! Before the final battle, I was still waiting for something to happen. Then the game was over. Nothing happened. My favorite character was Fran. Why? You get to see the village she's from, you meet her sister, find out why she's with Balthier. Besides that, Ashe is a princess, Vaan's a citizen of Rabanastre, Penelo is a friend of Vaan's (or a sister? Idk!). And that's all you need to know about them.
    - I know I said the story was good, and it is, but not entirely. FF12 really piles it on at the beginning with cutscenes and a guy reading paragraphs, which is incredibly rushed. Then it's Dalmasca this and Nethicite that...and Nethicite this and Nethicite that. It's like Star Wars in many ways. Brilliant, but it makes you wish you had a friend there so you could whisper, "Uh...what's going on again? ... Oh, so nothing's happened still?"
    - I felt like I was fighting the same monsters over and over, just with different colors with different names in different places.

Why a 6?
    The main reason I give FF12 a 6 and not higher is that after about twenty hours of playing, part of me wanted to quit. I'm putting 50 hours of my life into this game, basically spending 50 hours with the characters. I don't do that just to see the next beautiful city or a cutscene of old men talking around a table. I want to be immersed in it. Nobody spends 50 hours reading the Harry Potter series just to look at the pictures she puts at the start of each chapter. They want to know the characters, how they react to situations, how they came to be. Harry Potter is an example of good character development in addition to original and stunning surroundings. FF12 has the aesthetics, and it has good characters, but you never get to know them and it fails to bring you into the story.
    Besides that, I have few complaints. The gameplay is great, although it can become mostly automated, further disconnecting the player from the game. The visuals are great, and the music was good, though I expected more. FF12 is not your typical Final Fantasy, even if it does carry on features from previous FFs. It's a different style (think knight-era) which refreshes some of the same old typical things in Final Fantasy.
    Bottom line, it's worth a play through. But start playing this and then start playing FF10 and you'll see where FF12 is lacking (you'll also see spots where FF10 is lacking).
  49. Nov 13, 2013
    A near masterpiece that will enthral you in it's countless moments of magnificence. Aside from the slow start (which might have trended certain people away from the game's true beauty), the game deserves all the praises it gets, as once you pass those sluggish hours, you'll find yourself spending countless, unregrettable hours in the endless, outstanding world of Final Fantasy XII.
  50. Mar 25, 2014
    When I started a game I was shocked with number of critics about this FF. I wanted to try it and... damn, that's a great game! At the moment I'm after hmm, around 20 hours of playing and I must admit that it's really hard to get bored with this FF. For me new battle style, leveling method etc., all this things are just perfect. For me, now, it's definitely the best FF out there. Story andWhen I started a game I was shocked with number of critics about this FF. I wanted to try it and... damn, that's a great game! At the moment I'm after hmm, around 20 hours of playing and I must admit that it's really hard to get bored with this FF. For me new battle style, leveling method etc., all this things are just perfect. For me, now, it's definitely the best FF out there. Story and characters are great too. Main char is empty and boring? Please... he's 100x better and less annoying than Tidus! He could be his father as well, in the mature of the nature meaning. Open world is great too! Generally, this is THE MUST PLAY jRPG for console. Absolutely. Expand
  51. Jan 4, 2012
    This game = horrible! Vaan, can anyone say Tidus? Actually, the even lamer version of Tidus... WTF is up with the gambit system? I would rather play some stupid hack n slash where I mash a button, as opposed to running around doing nothing but watching animations on screen. I didn't get far enough into it to know where the story goes, nor do I really care. The gameplay is just so stupidThis game = horrible! Vaan, can anyone say Tidus? Actually, the even lamer version of Tidus... WTF is up with the gambit system? I would rather play some stupid hack n slash where I mash a button, as opposed to running around doing nothing but watching animations on screen. I didn't get far enough into it to know where the story goes, nor do I really care. The gameplay is just so stupid and boring that I just can't immerse myself into the story. By the time I get to the next cut-scene, dialogue, etc, I am so bored that I am more worried about finding a save point (just in case I get bored enough to try and play this again) than pay any attention to what any of these people have to say. FF XIII, same thing, a button masher disguised as a 'fast-paced turn based system'. Square, rid yourself of that disease known as Enix, and please have some sense in creating the great games you were once known for! If you really want to change your battle system, take notes from the Shadow Hearts franchise. Those games had by far the best turn based mechanics, EVER! Not the dumbed down 'play the game for you' mechanics of this trash! Expand
  52. Oct 25, 2013
    I am a Final Fantasy fanboy and maybe cause of that I didn't like this game at all...
    The Combat system with the Gambit makes the game too easy. you don't even play anymore you just enter the battle and watch the fight, boss after boss, after boss. Van and Penelo is annoying characters and Square enix should have goe with thier first idéa of never creating them and having Basch as a main character along with Balthier. instead of copy-pasting the both annoying immature chars that are only in the way and trying to make the game a little "funny" for kids.
    The story is perfect. Love that I can finally come back to Ivalice and now I'm preparing for another war.
    As I started the game I really thought and hoped for playing as Basch insteand I end up with some pre-puberty, wannabe sky pirate called Vaan, who's somehow always saying wrong things at the wrong moments but still tryies to be that *I belive* hero. and sure it works but id doesen't fit in the script considering he is as I said earlier a copy-paste character.
    So if you can outstand him. I'm glad that you don't have to play him. /Thank god for that) you will enjoy the enviorment, the story and the music. that's the 3 points I give for this game.
  53. Feb 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst Sakaguchi entry in the FF series, but still a decent game. In my mind, FFXII tried to do too much, rather than focusing on improving a single aspect of the game. The combat feels out of place, the customization table/forgot the name feels unfinished, the main character feels like he got lost in all the complex political story and the world felt very forced. Never at one point did I feel that I actually wanted to reach some point in the story or world, as everything roamed on from seemingly similar places to the next, from similar political story cutscene to the next. The game still has optional bosses, featuring one of the hardest in the franchise, and this is perhaps the only thing going for it, as there is no main villain like Kefka, Sephiroth or Kuja in the story. One of the things that turned me off the most were the huge blocks of text in the beginning of the game: I never, in any game, care for these. If you want to deliver a story, do it through the gameplay or have a character dump that information after a boss if you must. Just never give a huge block of text. We're not reading a book here. We're playing.
    6/10.
  54. Jul 21, 2011
    Pretty sweet game. So much to do, awesome battle system. Interesting characters (some are annoying but most are great). One of my faves for Playstation 2
  55. Mar 16, 2013
    By far my favorite of the "modern" (PS2/PS3) Final Fantasies. I absolutely love the Gambit system, I cannot say enough about it. The customizability of character AI is beyond anything seen before or since. Although character roles are rather genericb since any character can acquire basically any skill, individual characters are still very tailored towards certain specializations because ofBy far my favorite of the "modern" (PS2/PS3) Final Fantasies. I absolutely love the Gambit system, I cannot say enough about it. The customizability of character AI is beyond anything seen before or since. Although character roles are rather genericb since any character can acquire basically any skill, individual characters are still very tailored towards certain specializations because of base stats and early in the game their different starting positions on the License Board

I thought the story was much more mature than most Final Fantasies (and JRPGs in general). Nothing overly special but it kept me moving forward and I really enjoyed the character developtment and underlying political intrigue. Like I said it's not mind blowing but it is very well toldThe world is large with lots to do, although some areas do feel rather empty.

I can see where some wouldn't like the Gambit system. You'll love it or hate. If you like absolute control over everything your party does under absolutely any situation, you will love it. If you want the old school RPG status quo of on-your-toes turn based menu selections, this may not be for you.

Last but not least, the first 2-3 hours (as with many RPGs) are extremely slow, IMO. Once you get full party control and start acquiring Gambits and Licenses, the game absolutely shines. Do not judge this game until you are a few hours in.
  56. Mar 24, 2013
    The FF XII storyline is one of the best and most mature FF storylines. The story isn't melodramatic or geared toward preteen girls. The dialog in the game is beautiful. The music is beautiful. The gameplay gambit system is fun enough although perhaps not interactive enough. I've played a lot of PS2 games (especially via PCSX2), but I keep coming back to this game in particular. I'dThe FF XII storyline is one of the best and most mature FF storylines. The story isn't melodramatic or geared toward preteen girls. The dialog in the game is beautiful. The music is beautiful. The gameplay gambit system is fun enough although perhaps not interactive enough. I've played a lot of PS2 games (especially via PCSX2), but I keep coming back to this game in particular. I'd have to say it's by far my favorite PS2 game. Expand
  57. May 25, 2013
    Some fans does not like FFXII because it is not like previous FF games but i think it is the best one, It does have much of what a FF game is. FF needs change to it so that it doesen´t become clones of each other like COD has.
  58. Jul 19, 2013
    Preview:
    Preview:
    I was really surprised by how high the metacritic rating for this game was. It actually inspired me to create an account just so give my take on this game. First, I'm a huge ff fan. Here is my ranking of the ff games I've played from best to worst. Ff6, ff tactics, ff9, ff7, ff8 (squalls dead theory), ff4, ff1, ff10, ff 2, ff 3, FF12, ff 13, ff tactics advanced. So you can see I don't think that highly of final fantasy 12 compared to other games in the series. Ill simply break it downs to pros and cons. Pros: The graphics are some of the best on the ps2. The art style is very good. Of course, there are some good musical tracks which are good, but pretty similar to the rest of the series. Cons: This game feels like it was a ten hour long game and the designers decided to make it a 200hr long video game. There is simply too much padding and filler in this game. The story is okay (convoluted like many of recent square enix games). But how the story is told is just awful. It is a slow progressing political story but it near impossible to follow it on your first play-through since it literally can take 5 to 10 hrs to get to the next story point. To walk from one side of the map to another it seems like it takes 45 minutes to do so. I suppose if you want to get lost in a game, this game has the potential because it is so big but I prefer quality of quantity. Also the main character is terrible. He is very uninteresting and so secondary to the plot it makes you curious what point he serves. Also how people equip armor in this game may be my least favorite of the series. It's possible for your character to have a weapon that he/she cannot use because you have not got that exact square of this semi random grid. Overall, there are some fun aspects to this game but most of the gameplay seems like it was tailored to waste your time. Too much padding between towns, dungeons are way too big and there are too many of them. The towns aren't fun because the leading character is so unlikable. I understand that the series is trying to adapt and change but I think this game was a step back for the series. That's why I wish the critic score would reflect that.
  59. Jul 14, 2011
    As a big Final Fantasy fan (played most including XI which is fairly similar to this game), I found XII to be very disappointing. What makes the auto-attack feature in XI tolerable is that the fun comes with playing and cooperating with other players and micromanaging other tasks rather than the basic attack. XII being a single player game lacks any of those other elements but keeps theAs a big Final Fantasy fan (played most including XI which is fairly similar to this game), I found XII to be very disappointing. What makes the auto-attack feature in XI tolerable is that the fun comes with playing and cooperating with other players and micromanaging other tasks rather than the basic attack. XII being a single player game lacks any of those other elements but keeps the battle system which requires very little to no input for your average random encounter (which there is ALOT of everywhere in between the cut scenes)

While the story had potential the characters for the most part (except Basch) were extremely boring and uninteresting, Vaan is by far the worst main character in FF history.

The License system (similar to the grid system in X) is a mess where players need to not only spend their points to unlock abilities, spells, and equipment but must also find a locations that sells that particular item or ability or whatever, and also have the gil to spend across many different characters. What ends up happening is needing to grind ALOT through extremely uninteresting battles that require little to no input. While every FF game has grinding, in this game it is excruciatingly boring.

My advice is if you want to play a game similar to this one and have a PS3, pick up White Knight Chronicles, which while is not a perfect game by any means (pretty weak story) the gameplay is at least much more fun than how XII set it up. If you really want to stick with Final Fantasy pick up XI or XII:Revenant wings, XI essentially plays like XII: Online (read: fun) while revenant wings is a completely different game style that retains the same characters (also pretty fun).

Avoid this game unless you're an absolute die hard FF fan, I've played through 3 5 7 8 10 11 and 13 and could barely play through12.
  60. Sep 3, 2011
    FFXII is a step in the right direction. Its the most dynamic Final Fantasy to date, which can make it good or bad depending on how you play it. If you have to do alot of grinding then you are not using all of the tools available correctly.
  61. Sep 20, 2013
    I only played this in 2013 on a ps2 emulator (4x resolution) and it was one the best game experiences I"ve had in a long time! (and I play a sht ton of games) It truly is a beautiful RPG with a very good story, massive world and deep gameplay.
    I didn't mind at all the supposedly negative MMO influences, at the contrary it feels so natural in the context of open world mechanics. Nice new touch compared to the usual ATB/RTB battle systems and I even loved the gambit system which a lot of people seem to complain about.

Graphics are unbelievably good for a ps2 game and one of the best examples where an increased internal resolution on the emulator can make a huge difference in overall quality to the point it doesn't seem you are playing a 2006 game at all.

The music is simply perfect, I may be old style but it's hard to beat well made symphonic soundtracks. (compared to most of the electronic uninspired garbage 99% of games use today)

It may have some minor gameplay issues but overall I just love everything about this game, I don't really care if it is a "true" FF game or not, it simply is a wonderful experience and I strongly encourage anyone to give it a try on the pcsx2 emulator on pc even if you have played it 9 years ago.
  62. Mar 6, 2013
    I think one of the reasons people are so critical is because it is a final fantasy game. If it would be a new series then evrybody would say: ''Did you hear of this game? It's really good, you should try it out.''
    And they would be correct. The game is really good. The environments are beautiful, the characters are okay, the story is good... My problem is with the gameplay. It's boring because you control only one character instead of all of them and when an enemy appears your party members attack on their own accord and during the fight you can hardly evade the attacks of the enemies. What is the point of creating real time battles (the opposite of turn based battles in which you stand in a row and await your turn) if you can't evade. You can run away while you wait for your bar to charge but you will recieve damage of a swordslash 4 meters away from you. Another thing is the large amount of grinding before a boss battle because you aren't strong enough yet to beat him. It happens multiple times that you have to grind for 2 to 3 hours and that isn't fun. To conclude with a positve note: The instructions you can give your party members are really extensive and there is very very much to do in this game.
  63. Jul 18, 2013
    Simply put, this game just leaves you wanting while scratching your head at the end. Starts off great and the combat system was innovative (though annoying after awhile). Story is great in the beginning then just kinda falls flat.
  64. Aug 31, 2014
    One of the if not THE best game on PS2.
    +This game features an exceptional open world with easily the best graphics on PS2. One of the best soundtracks ever (approx 5 hours of top quality OST).
    +The combat system is the most innovative and original I have ever seen in an RPG. (the gambit system rules). It may be a bit complex at first, but you soon get used to it. +The game itself is
    One of the if not THE best game on PS2.
    +The game itself is full of content (well over 200 hours of gameplay without getting bored).
    +The characters are very likeable (balthier ftw).
    Frankly, if you have a PS2 or an emulator on your PC or just want to check this game out, don't hesitate. It deserves it's critic rating and is easily one of the best games ever made.
    You can see that the developpers made everything in detail for example when you see that weather conditions affect the usefullness of your weapons, or that some enemies will detect you based on smell, some on hearing, some on vision, and some (like the undead for example) when you have less than 40% HP.
    I think this is enough to see at what extent the developpers wanted to make the perfect game and its really not far from that.
    If there was a negative point I could come up with it's that there are some things that you can not know without going on the wiki or having a walkthrough.
    Apart from that, this game is 10++/10. Definitely a must have.
  65. Jul 30, 2011
    As a critic, I take pride in keeping an open mind, but games like this discourage me. I won't say this game is awful because at its core is the makings of the decent role playing game. Memorable characters, a unique landscape, and a plotline. But what earned this game a 4 is what it lacks. The classic battle system is gone. The new one is rubbish. the weapon proficiencies always end badly,As a critic, I take pride in keeping an open mind, but games like this discourage me. I won't say this game is awful because at its core is the makings of the decent role playing game. Memorable characters, a unique landscape, and a plotline. But what earned this game a 4 is what it lacks. The classic battle system is gone. The new one is rubbish. the weapon proficiencies always end badly, and lead to overpowering players. It also has a horrible soundtrack compared to the earlier games in the genre. By far the worst thing about this game is the length. It really starts to get boring after 200 hours of playtime. If you plan on playing the game, I encourage you. Try it. maybe you will find something that I missed in the endless void that is Final Fantasy 12 Expand
  66. Jan 19, 2012
    Overall I think final fantasy XII is a good game.That being said, it has it's down points.The story is adequate but not as interesting as some of it's predecessors and the main character could be a bit more interesting. The battles are challenging, but sometimes I'd wonder if they're fair in certain areas or battles. Items are sometimes almost impossible to obtain. Likewise, side questOverall I think final fantasy XII is a good game.That being said, it has it's down points.The story is adequate but not as interesting as some of it's predecessors and the main character could be a bit more interesting. The battles are challenging, but sometimes I'd wonder if they're fair in certain areas or battles. Items are sometimes almost impossible to obtain. Likewise, side quest some enemies are almost impossible to find. To sum it up, it seems you're just a little to limited in this final fantasy. If you like challenging side quest and battles you should try this. After all, it's not a bad game. You may like it even. Expand
  67. Jun 3, 2013
    positives:the game doesn't need you. just let your teams AI do the battling for you and you will win every time.
    negatives: boring to the extreme, every person in the game has no personality, they look boring with knockoff clothes from previous characters in the franchise, they even ACT boring and SOUND boring, most of the time they even sound like they only had one voice actor, its that bad and unmemorable, the maps look like flat pieces of barely painted paper, i'm not joking they literally look like flat pieces of paper. the mini map is useless, the maps feel and look barren which isn't helped by the games old school walk to encounter enemies system. the enemies themselves look very boring and generic, the shopping is a confusing mess-what happens is the enemy drops an item, you sell that item and get gold. sounds interesting? nope. you get so little gold that it would take a long time to actually buy something simple as a potion. the leveling/skills system itself is a mess- basically you upgrade via walking on a skills map, like a board game, however skills you would need, say sword for a melee character or magic for a magic user are at the other end of the AP map! and you can only move one space at a time so you can't even just select what you want. the AP requirements for the spaces on the upgrade map is also unbelievably high with most requiring high two or even three digits! this doesn't sound like a lot but you only get 1 AP per battle!for the whole game!!. the story is boring and unmemorable. its only positive point is the summons, who are all cool but brings me to my biggest downpoint, the whole games quest system for everything even the story IS A FETCH QUEST. nearly all of the missions in the game involve going to someplace or fetching something. even monkey quest(a ps1 game lauded for being a fetch quest game) did this better, this isn't some zelda like you must find this before you can advance no the game literally just tells you to go here and get that! or just go there if its feeling lazy! this wouldn't be so bad if there was some kind of transport system but save for one map there isn't! not a vehicle or chocobo in the whole game! you have to literally walk everywhere!the game itself is unfinishable as well. i don't mean unfinishable good like a free roamer, i mean unfinishable as its too long! i was playing for half a year and only got about half way through at most. with a busted gold system and busted AP leveling system this is the one and only game where i say cheating using an action replay or xploder cd or finding a glitch/bug is a requirement!and even then with it being boring to the extreme and unfinishable and not even requiring user input in battle would you even want to try playing this game? if it wasn't for the final fantasy name attached this game would get a lot more hate than it does, i mean its so bad its on par with superman 64/aquaman battle for Atlantis for title of worst game ever made.
  68. Dec 12, 2013
    Totally awesome game. Its quite a change from the turn base combat system. It feels MMO-like but you build the AI via gambits. Takes a little time to get used to the gambit system, but it become very powerful and handy for grinding exp.
  69. May 18, 2011
    This game pretty much did everything right. Amazing story(older audience), endearing characters, for it's time good graphics, amazing battle system (FFXI style) and great open world experience. Now, the only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is more due to a personal preference and that's the language. They speak in the old shakespearean dialect which i never took time to learn so IThis game pretty much did everything right. Amazing story(older audience), endearing characters, for it's time good graphics, amazing battle system (FFXI style) and great open world experience. Now, the only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is more due to a personal preference and that's the language. They speak in the old shakespearean dialect which i never took time to learn so I missed some parts. Aside from that this was a great game with an insane amount of side content. Expand
  70. May 20, 2011
    First things first. The story sucks, its all kings and queens and castles, urgh! it's almost as bad as FF9!! The characters are also quite poor, Balthier being the only decent one. That however is where the bad points end. The gameplay is everything that a great FF should be. A massive world to explore, to be able to go anywhere you want, LOTS of side quests, LOADS of character upgradesFirst things first. The story sucks, its all kings and queens and castles, urgh! it's almost as bad as FF9!! The characters are also quite poor, Balthier being the only decent one. That however is where the bad points end. The gameplay is everything that a great FF should be. A massive world to explore, to be able to go anywhere you want, LOTS of side quests, LOADS of character upgrades through licenses, new weapons, amour you name it. Plenty of grinding to be done, and a game that will eat up your time. In terms of gameplay, it is everything FF13 wasn't!! The battle system was fine. It was essentially the same as FF7 or FF8, but you could move around. This however did not really effect the battle at all, so its a moo point!

If you can over look the horrible story (and I know that is an important element) and bland characters, there is a great a large enough game to make that forgivable! No FF7 or FFX, but most RPG fans will find something that captures their attention in this game
  71. Apr 6, 2014
    Is there something wrong? Why do I see all the negatives? The hate? Have the other Final Fantasies turned you all haters into fanboys/fangirls? Peace friends!

For one, I love this game. It develops an imaginatory, that's right, storyline and YOU decide the story for your characters. It was time Square let people imagine, not just sit lazy and take in the video game itself. The story is full of betrayal, drama, humor (Balthier), and unpredictability... So don't your dare review FF XII without completing it!

I can assume the haters are rushing the game to simply put it, skipping plotlines and not caring to enjoy the scenery. Why? Well guaranteed you are in favor of another Final Fantasy (VII, like always...) But anyway, the story needs your imagination. That's what Square did. Really smart eh?

As for the gameplay... Gambits unlock a whole ton of options/accessibility for the players to experiment with and test with. A ton. Thousands of limitless ideas.... As for that, you can also toggle gambits off if you aren't in favor of that general idea.

The scenery and visuals, are in one word, stunning. Have you ever took the time to look at the architecture of each city? Dungeon? You should.

The soundtrack takes time to listen to and stick it to your head. Eventually, it will fit in with the theme like a puzzle piece. It is performed orchestrally unlike its predecessors instead of using computerized music which was the case for all the earlier Final Fantasy series.

I won't spoil the secondaries, but there are a TON of things to do in FF XII... Filling your bestiary/monsterpedia, obtaining all items, completing the "bounties" ( Won't spoil the name), and items to find et cetera.

The beginning starts out as a Star Wars replica like stated before, but eventually the pod blooms and the story opens up... into the Final Fantasy XII. The beginning isn't even a fun game, but that was Square's smart move. After you continue the story of FF XII the story all ties in together and oh my, the goosebumps you will get later on. After you finish the game you'll hit the climax and will really miss the game...

Whoever reviewed this game poorly probably is suffering from a long-term headache, is a fanboy/fangirl of another Final Fantasy game, did not get into the "fun boundary", as I stated above, or simply did not complete the game. I am a laxative person and I enjoy games and dislike games, but this game is a like, or love, for me.
  72. Oct 15, 2010
    I don't want to seem like I just hate the newer Final Fantasy games, but honestly, I really don't know how this game got the high scores that it did. Sure, the game is presented beautifully, but after a few hours in, this game begins to fall apart. The cast of characters in this game is definitely the worst of all Final Fantasy games. No one has a personality. If I had to choose a personI don't want to seem like I just hate the newer Final Fantasy games, but honestly, I really don't know how this game got the high scores that it did. Sure, the game is presented beautifully, but after a few hours in, this game begins to fall apart. The cast of characters in this game is definitely the worst of all Final Fantasy games. No one has a personality. If I had to choose a person who came closest to having one it would maybe be Balthier. Everyone's emotions for doing something in the story are told to you, either by the characters themselves or the narrator. No one actually makes you feel for their cause through their own expressed emotions or actions. As for the story itself... it seems like there's this big conflict going on in Ivalice, yet the characters are running back and forth in the desert, having no part of it. The music in this game starts off strong, but after playing the game for a while, they all seem to blend together and end up just as dull and lifeless as the characters and story. The graphics are its only high point, which are exceptional for a PlayStation 2 game. The new battle system they added is an iffy one, considering that you can get the game to essentially play itself. However, it was an interesting addition, but I feel that the Active Time Battle was fine, so there was no reason to fix/change it. The license system however, is just... awful. It gives you no sense of direction at all, so you could end up wasting points early on in the game that could affect the development of your characters abilities early on in the game. Arguably, Final Fantasy XII is the worst game in the series. (Final Fantasy XIII is a contender as well) Expand
  73. Mar 3, 2012
    I have played this game and overall the graphics were pretty good, the storyline was not as bad as I thought(still not good though), the characters weren't really engaging and I did not really care for any of them, also the music was just average for me too. I would like to add that the battle system is also not too bad since I like to avoid monsters when I don't want to fight, I like theI have played this game and overall the graphics were pretty good, the storyline was not as bad as I thought(still not good though), the characters weren't really engaging and I did not really care for any of them, also the music was just average for me too. I would like to add that the battle system is also not too bad since I like to avoid monsters when I don't want to fight, I like the turn base system since I kinda hate waiting while I want to defeat certain weak monsters as soon as possible without the need for spamming though I would like to point out that I kinda hate the License Point since most of them were pretty bland but overall i'll just wrap it up and say it's a decent game though not really worthy to be called Final Fantasy title but atleast it's not the worse Final Fantasy title(Final Fantasy XIII or -2) . Expand
  74. Aug 25, 2012
    A game people seem to either love or hate. I loved it, loved the characters, story and more importantly gameplay and the world you explore. I disagree about the music from some comments, as i thought it was excellent and matched the zones perfectly, Feywood is a great example, plus the different weather was a great idea and how it changed areas. Lots of exploring to do and some places areA game people seem to either love or hate. I loved it, loved the characters, story and more importantly gameplay and the world you explore. I disagree about the music from some comments, as i thought it was excellent and matched the zones perfectly, Feywood is a great example, plus the different weather was a great idea and how it changed areas. Lots of exploring to do and some places are shockingly hard if you stumble upon them too soon, which makes for a challenge. The best since FFVII, and different armour and weapon bonuses. Great game. Expand
  75. Aug 26, 2012
    This is one of my favorite final fantasies, it has a rich storyline, some memorable characters (but i don´t really like Vaan, Balthier is my favorite character in the game though), the battle system is one of the best in the series, it has a good musical score, and the graphics are amazing.
  76. Sep 17, 2012
    One of the most controversial Final Fantasy game (for its battle system) but (probably) the best Final Fantasy game ever made and one of the best video games for PS2.
  77. Dec 30, 2012
    My favorite game of all time. I'm still enamored by it, and find myself replaying it every other year. Great story, graphics, gameplay. Usually the reason people don't like this game is because of previous expectations, or because final fantasy fans are pricks who enjoy arguing about which is best.
  78. Jun 1, 2013
    Story is the hallmark of the final fantasy games. This game, however, does not have any. The characters do not have any personality. Only character with a personality is Balthier, rest is just there to fill up the screen. There no is character development. There is nothing to make you care about the characters you are playing. The only redeeming quality is that this game is really big. IStory is the hallmark of the final fantasy games. This game, however, does not have any. The characters do not have any personality. Only character with a personality is Balthier, rest is just there to fill up the screen. There no is character development. There is nothing to make you care about the characters you are playing. The only redeeming quality is that this game is really big. I mean really big. You have a lot of stuff to do. You have dungeons to explore and side quests to accomplish. The game mechanic has a mmorpg feel to it without being an actual mmorpg, which in my opinion is a bad thing. So if all you care about is game play and customizing your character with tons of equipment and abilities, go ahead and pick it up. If you have played any other previous final fantasy games, you will find yourself glaring at your screen and gritting your teeth as the computer fight your battle for you. Expand
  79. Jun 26, 2013
    As someone who has played every numbered release of the final fantasy franchise I can easily say this is the worst and the only one that I truly hate. The story is ok, the cutscenes are amazing for a playstation 2 game, but the battle system makes this game unplayable. There are simply no words to describe how truly awful the battle mechanics are.
  80. ChrisM
    Mar 3, 2010
    This is the first Final Fantasy that I repeatedly put down for weeks before being motivated to continue. I still need to prevail over the final boss. The reason for it being far from the best, primarily, is the characters. I mean, seriously, the characters were worst cast in the entire franchise. I had no connection with most of them; and only had a minimal connection with Fran and This is the first Final Fantasy that I repeatedly put down for weeks before being motivated to continue. I still need to prevail over the final boss. The reason for it being far from the best, primarily, is the characters. I mean, seriously, the characters were worst cast in the entire franchise. I had no connection with most of them; and only had a minimal connection with Fran and Balthier. Besides that they were so forgettable. It is key that a inal Fantasy has a solid group of protagonists and XII failed spectacularily in that department. I cared more for some of the villains than I did any of them. It's quite sad, tbh. The story was ok, but nothing too great; but the way it was told and the voice work was beautiful. The voice cast did an immense job on this game. The world f Ivalice was lovely, the battle sstem was good (I do understand people's qualms with it, though) and it had some gorgeous musical scores (although the OST, overall, was forgettable). One of the greatest things about the game was the Hunts sidequest. Loved that. Expand
  81. Lev
    Aug 20, 2008
    I found this FF to be an enjoyable one, and while it's still not that amazing I think it's a decent game, and reminds me more of a 'western' rpg than a Japaneses one. I didn't have a problem with the characters, and I guess I'm among the few people who prefer Vaan over Cloud, Squall or Tidus. The story could also have been worked on, but I guess it's not I found this FF to be an enjoyable one, and while it's still not that amazing I think it's a decent game, and reminds me more of a 'western' rpg than a Japaneses one. I didn't have a problem with the characters, and I guess I'm among the few people who prefer Vaan over Cloud, Squall or Tidus. The story could also have been worked on, but I guess it's not that bad, although I don't really agree with the fact that it's 'very political', it wasn't that complicated. I found the battle system to be good, with the gambits you can actually get a chance to customize how you want to play, and you can also move around which gives you more interaction with battles. Many people prefer ATB, but I think that system also has it's own faults, it was far from perfect. ( I think it worked best in FF9) I have to add that I really liked the soundtrack, even though I'm not that into epic fantasy music, it was very enjoyable for me, I generally like Sakimoto's work. All in all this game does have an 'experimental' feel to it, but judging from the looks of FFXIII they will be back to the old track that 6, or rather 7 started, but I hope we get to see more Ivalice stuff too, since I prefer that. Expand
  82. DanielG.
    Jan 1, 2007
    FFXII is a pleasant surprise, though in my opinion it's not as good as VII or VIII. The pros; true epic FF storyline, excellent graphics for the PS2, long life for a classic FF experience. The cons; crap battle system, if i want to play an MMO I'll waste my money on WoW or Guild Wars but FF should not be hack 'n' slash, easy to cheat in terms of HP, there's magic FFXII is a pleasant surprise, though in my opinion it's not as good as VII or VIII. The pros; true epic FF storyline, excellent graphics for the PS2, long life for a classic FF experience. The cons; crap battle system, if i want to play an MMO I'll waste my money on WoW or Guild Wars but FF should not be hack 'n' slash, easy to cheat in terms of HP, there's magic that doubles your Max HP until you die, which to me is like removing the point of gaining levels, true FFVIII features similarities with the Junction system, but that was necessary to reach 9999HP at Lv. 100. Anyway no matter what's wrong with it, it's a good FF far better than all previous PS2 attempts (lest we forget the dire X and X-2) and XI which was a crappy MMO, I'd say it definitely deserves a place on the game shelf/pile but let's see if SE can truly redeem themselves on the Next Gen consoles. Expand
  83. RyanG.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Past all the nostalgia, this IS the definite Final Fantasy...or even RPG.
  84. EoghanR.
    Jan 9, 2007
    This game is best game I have ever played, it has amazing visuals. An excellent soundtrack and an utterly brilliant, well thought out story with really interesting characters and locations with the best Final Fantasy battle-system I have ever seen (I still love all Final Fantasy's though!) this has made Final Fantasy look like it should be. p.s. can't wait until Final Fantasy XIII.
  85. MatteoPais
    Feb 17, 2007
    A very revolution in Final Fantasy games.
  86. JamesN.
    Sep 6, 2007
    A definite breath of fresh air...after the drab repition of semi-futuristic Nomura worlds, FFXII brings back the exhiliration of a true adventure, much as IX did. Wonderful world, stunning visuals, very serious story (I loved it, so i wanted to see more of it! make a sequel to it SE, it could use more cut scenes!) and standout gameplay.
  87. TCH
    Jun 1, 2008
    I've read the reviews that claim this is amazing once you get inside, but I'm unconvinced and not inclined to bother. Very boring gameplay to begin; far, far, far too many beautiful but ultimately pointless and annoying cutscenes (skip 3 in a row, anyone?); and WTF? no option to invert the view controls. That for me is a deal breaker - it requires (I assume) virtually no effort I've read the reviews that claim this is amazing once you get inside, but I'm unconvinced and not inclined to bother. Very boring gameplay to begin; far, far, far too many beautiful but ultimately pointless and annoying cutscenes (skip 3 in a row, anyone?); and WTF? no option to invert the view controls. That for me is a deal breaker - it requires (I assume) virtually no effort on the part of developers, just a modicum of respect for the way my brain prefers to work. Can't rank it higher, no matter what others say. Expand
  88. [ANONYMOUS]
    Oct 7, 2009
    Speaking as a lifelong FF fan who has played every single game in the series, this game is a masterpiece. Graphically, it's as beautiful and polished as any game, and moreso - the sheer depth of the environments, NPCs, enemies, and so on creates a fantasy world that is way more realistic than any stand-alone rpg has ever created. If you get bored easily, or you need love stories or a Speaking as a lifelong FF fan who has played every single game in the series, this game is a masterpiece. Graphically, it's as beautiful and polished as any game, and moreso - the sheer depth of the environments, NPCs, enemies, and so on creates a fantasy world that is way more realistic than any stand-alone rpg has ever created. If you get bored easily, or you need love stories or a lot of angsty dialogue to keep your interest, this game probably isn't for you. But, critiques of its plot are misguided - there's definitely a very involved story to the world and each of the characters, you just have to piece it together and maybe play the game twice to get it. There are pacing issues where the story seems to not unfold much for stretches and then quickly in other stretches. And, I might have appreciated greater customization of characters to allow for a little more strategy in choosing different weapons (I'd have also liked espers to be more useful). But, none of that prevents this game from being the best classic rpg experience ever created. Expand
  89. MarhadiashaK
    Feb 5, 2010
    Old school hardcore turn-based rpg gamers hate this (minority), while the rest love it (majority). People who hate this is that because they want all FF become FFVII-alikes and hate change. This game is a breth of fresh air from past FF games. The story is heavy and political, not like past FF, which is teen-like, that's why old FF fans hate it. The system isn't like old games, Old school hardcore turn-based rpg gamers hate this (minority), while the rest love it (majority). People who hate this is that because they want all FF become FFVII-alikes and hate change. This game is a breth of fresh air from past FF games. The story is heavy and political, not like past FF, which is teen-like, that's why old FF fans hate it. The system isn't like old games, which is playing menus. For hardcore FF fans, it's a dissapointment, but overall, it's an excellent entertaining game generally. Expand
  90. JathaineJ.
    Mar 9, 2010
    It's a great game. For a PS2 game the visuals are awesome, you can kinda tell the audio is a bit compressed though... not all that bad however. Much of the music is stellar! The combat system is very customizable whether or not you choose to use gambits (I prefer to use very few gambits as I'd rather not just watch the game, I prefer to interact with it myself for the most part) It's a great game. For a PS2 game the visuals are awesome, you can kinda tell the audio is a bit compressed though... not all that bad however. Much of the music is stellar! The combat system is very customizable whether or not you choose to use gambits (I prefer to use very few gambits as I'd rather not just watch the game, I prefer to interact with it myself for the most part) The game gives you loads of content with the hunts and side-quests. If you want to take a break from the main story, you get plenty of opportunities should you wish to take them. Then there's the story itself, presented in a new way for the Final Fantasy series. Unfortunately subtlety is lost on this generation so many of the players don't appreciate the game's story. If you're not willing to pay attention, this game won't be the one for you but if you really want a gripping story and some of the most memorable characters in the series (Cid, Vayne and Balthier for sure!) get this game! Expand
  91. ChristienL.
    Nov 1, 2006
    So far (about 5 hours into the game) this is an exceptional example of what an RPG can/should be on the PS2 (hell, it looks like it could belong as a launch title on the 360... the graphics are that pretty.) My main complaints all have to do with control & learning curve. The inability to change look inversion & the control for left/right is a bit irritating, especially since most other So far (about 5 hours into the game) this is an exceptional example of what an RPG can/should be on the PS2 (hell, it looks like it could belong as a launch title on the 360... the graphics are that pretty.) My main complaints all have to do with control & learning curve. The inability to change look inversion & the control for left/right is a bit irritating, especially since most other games allow this & it theoretically should have been an easy thing to put into the game. The learning curve is a bit much.. there's a lot of things to learn from licenses, gambits, "loot", etc.. just so many changes for FFX (I don't count FFX2 as a FF game.. it was that bad). Also the battles are much different. Even after all that though, a few hours in and I love it (minus the controls). The new battle system is fun & as soon as I figure out Gambits, I'm sure I'll love it even more. The only thing stopping a 10 is really the control & learning curve. Expand
  92. AntranikA.
    Nov 1, 2006
    This game is delicious! I love every moment of it thus far! Yes it takes a few moments to get used to. However, being a huge Final Fantasy fan since I was a little kid, this game is a welcome addition to the series, finally! Especially after FFX! You will NOT be dissapointed! Kefka would be proud!
  93. JohnT.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Just too much to say, the game is amazing and it is so easy to get side tracked from the main quest there is just so much to do. A must have.
  94. DanV.
    Nov 3, 2006
    So far this game is just amazing. The beginning movie was mindblowing. Everything is just sooo massive from the towns to the dungeons and the battle system is really cool once you get the hang of it. I even gotta kick out of dying. Trying attacking the T-Rex from behind when you first come across it and see what happens. I couldn't help, but crack up. (sry for the sidetracking, but So far this game is just amazing. The beginning movie was mindblowing. Everything is just sooo massive from the towns to the dungeons and the battle system is really cool once you get the hang of it. I even gotta kick out of dying. Trying attacking the T-Rex from behind when you first come across it and see what happens. I couldn't help, but crack up. (sry for the sidetracking, but it was pretty funny). so anyway get the game. you'll love it. Expand
  95. BrettF.
    Nov 6, 2006
    Square-Enix has successfully managed to create something that is far more than just a game. Final Fantasy XII is, without a doubt, a work of art, in much the same way that a painting, novel, or piece of music is a work of art. The fact that Square-Enix used a video game console as it's medium does nothing, in my opinion, to make their latest masterpiece any less than beautiful. Square-Enix has successfully managed to create something that is far more than just a game. Final Fantasy XII is, without a doubt, a work of art, in much the same way that a painting, novel, or piece of music is a work of art. The fact that Square-Enix used a video game console as it's medium does nothing, in my opinion, to make their latest masterpiece any less than beautiful. Anyone who thinks that video games can be nothing but mindless entertainment should spend some time with this game, as it is sure to convert them. Expand
  96. J.F.
    Nov 7, 2006
    About 27 hours of playtime in and I'm hooked. I can't remember the last time I was this enthralled by a console game. My poor PC is going to be lonely for a long time it seems. I'll admit I was a fan of FF X and this one puts it to shame. To shame I say! Graphically ( except maybe the cutscenes and summons) this game is far superior. The License system is like the sphere About 27 hours of playtime in and I'm hooked. I can't remember the last time I was this enthralled by a console game. My poor PC is going to be lonely for a long time it seems. I'll admit I was a fan of FF X and this one puts it to shame. To shame I say! Graphically ( except maybe the cutscenes and summons) this game is far superior. The License system is like the sphere grid but better. Exploration is open ended which is a huge advancement over many linear or "train track" style RPG's. It kind of reminds me of an offline MMORPG which is perfect. I played FFXI online and WoW and this is like having all the expansive content and immersive world without all the irritatating chatter and ninja drama. Love it! My only gripe against FFXII is probably that some of the most amazing gear ( e.g. Uber sword at beginning) is only reachable if you know secrets that could only be found in game guides. Kind of a bummer since I found out too late but that is a minor scratch on an otherwise flawless game. Sound 9/10 Graphics 9/10 Story 9/10 Battle System 10/10 ( Amazing!!!) Overall 93 % Expand
  97. AnonymousMC
    Oct 10, 2006
    i realy liked that game,it's the best game i see till now on ps2
    the graphic is fantastic and sounds too.and the story it's realy attractive,the charectares are awsome too .
    i would realy like to ask if there is a link how can i get the full story of the game, cause i wanna post it in my documents. i am realy obbsessed in video game specialy RPG game but unluckily i
    i realy liked that game,it's the best game i see till now on ps2

i would realy like to ask if there is a link how can i get the full
    story of the game, cause i wanna post it in my documents.
    i am realy obbsessed in video game specialy RPG game
    but unluckily i havent finish any RPG game befor,becasue i have no time to play the game for a long time.
    is there any solution for that u can advice me.
    thanks for reading my comments.
  98. StephenM.
    Dec 4, 2006
    While I will not claim the game to be perfect, and admit that some complaints are valid, this game is simply superb. I have been a fan of the FF series since the first NES game, and this is certainly of the 5 best FF games I have ever played. While I admit, in terms of story, FF3 can never be touched, everything else about this game is fun, fun, fun. Don't miss it. It is my belief While I will not claim the game to be perfect, and admit that some complaints are valid, this game is simply superb. I have been a fan of the FF series since the first NES game, and this is certainly of the 5 best FF games I have ever played. While I admit, in terms of story, FF3 can never be touched, everything else about this game is fun, fun, fun. Don't miss it. It is my belief that every user who complains about the battle system and the challenges of the game simply haven't played it enough, need to learn patience, and should stop playing RPG's. Expand
  99. AnsonG.
    Dec 9, 2006
    This game was too difficult and frustrating. Well Im a big fan of "Final Fantasy" series but something go awry about battle system. Ok, look, the Final Fantasy XII was a great looking game. The begining was nice but at least they have saved the game by created the perfect story and plot. All the characters was amazing. And the battle system, oh well.....ok look, when starting the u got This game was too difficult and frustrating. Well Im a big fan of "Final Fantasy" series but something go awry about battle system. Ok, look, the Final Fantasy XII was a great looking game. The begining was nice but at least they have saved the game by created the perfect story and plot. All the characters was amazing. And the battle system, oh well.....ok look, when starting the u got alot characters around you, which u will make easier to fight against the enemy. You have to click by pressing X button, to go into Command menu, you have only have 3 command= Attack, magics&technics and items. I click "Attack" and then select one of the enemys when got closer to enemy. You need to wait the AP gauge to start the action. Even though i try run away from them when my character HP low but after that they still hit me. Well all you have to do click the Command menu and then click the "Attack" to the enemy far away from you for first strike, I advise you. So please take care and remember to see 1st how the battle system it is then only you buy this game. I hope the "Final Fantasy XIII" will save the day. Expand
  100. Friky00
    Oct 31, 2006
    Incredible game, the final fantasy shines again as the best RPG series in videogame history, I feel the gameplay as a mix of Final Fantasy 6 and Knights of the the old republic, the sub quests, will keep you hooked for 100+ hours, Final Fantasy forever.

1. The story soars, but not so often. The dungeons are long and meandering. The gameplay is effective, but not engrossing. It's a staggeringly well-made game that throws more at you than any other RPG on the PS2... but well-made doesn't necessarily mean "fun."
  2. This is absolutely my favorite Final Fantasy title, a claim I probably would have laughed at two years ago when rumors about the game’s battle system began to circulate.
  3. One of those rare games that can be appreciated by both hardcore and casual fans alike, Final Fantasy XII may very well be Square's last great adventure, and a fitting sendoff, for the PlayStation 2.