Freedom Fighters PlayStation 2

8.4

1. Feb 25, 2013
    Probably the best early squad-based shooter. The shooting, the game mechanics, the graphics, everything was great about this game. We've been hearing about a possible sequel since 2004, yet none has appeared. One of the greatest potential franchises that was never tapped in to. Such a shame.
  2. Oct 7, 2011
    A game from my early childhood, one of my favorite games from my childhood. A tactical shooter where you control a group of freedom fighters as a squad. The plot is ok, the dialog isn't perfect, characters don't have much background, but the story isn't the biggy. This game was one of the top-notch game back them with amazing graphics and really good gameplay. But dang, this game is hard!A game from my early childhood, one of my favorite games from my childhood. A tactical shooter where you control a group of freedom fighters as a squad. The plot is ok, the dialog isn't perfect, characters don't have much background, but the story isn't the biggy. This game was one of the top-notch game back them with amazing graphics and really good gameplay. But dang, this game is hard! Or at least it was for me. Still it was brilliant. Collapse
  3. Nov 2, 2010
    An absolutely brilliant game! The graphics are great for the time it came out. The game play is solid and tactical. The squad controls are amazing, simple, and reliable in a tight fix. The story is a thrill ride of action, twists, and romance. Though we only really care about the Action and Twists =). The games hardest difficulty is as tough as riding a bull with your right arm tied behindAn absolutely brilliant game! The graphics are great for the time it came out. The game play is solid and tactical. The squad controls are amazing, simple, and reliable in a tight fix. The story is a thrill ride of action, twists, and romance. Though we only really care about the Action and Twists =). The games hardest difficulty is as tough as riding a bull with your right arm tied behind your back. It's not impossible but it is VERY hard. The multiplayer is inventive and can be addicting. Which may force to keep your friend over for another two rounds of capture the flag death matches. The only bad thing I have found with the game is that it actually has an ending. Which is a very sad thing.. Not the ending but the game having an ending. Expand
  4. JimmyWoodnut
    Aug 21, 2004
    Awesome awesome awesome 4 any1 eho luvs games where u command an army awesome storyline but do agree with piranha g about it being 4 americans but ime not american and i luved it.
  5. PatM.
    Jul 26, 2004
    This game kicks ass. And anybody who says other wise has no taste in anykind of games. And i only gave it a ten because there was nothing higher. The controls take a while to get used to but after I got used to them I didnt want to stop playing. And again if you dont like this game keep your mouth shut.
  6. GuppyMcDriver
    Jul 15, 2004
    This game is brilliant!!! Unlike the DS Conflict games when you send your allies into battle they actually kick off leaving you like a general to watch the fireworks through your binoculars. Excellent level of difficulty to. One criticism however in multiplay the American's shotgun is invincible & spoils what is an excellent game.
  7. CG
    May 19, 2004
    Good plot idea (though under-developed,) good graphics, detailed setting, and perfect soundtrack. The squad control is simplistic, but in a good way and controls are decent but not great. A touch of emotion is provided by the patriotic aspect and also the manner in which civilians flee and beg. A great game, looking forward to a sequel with the bugs worked out.
  8. TyC.
    Feb 22, 2004
    This has to be one of the best squad-based games of all time. I thought it had a great positive-american-unite message going on with the whole thing. This game is defintely, definitely, one to rent. I believe it is even good enough to buy. I love how the gameplay is so smooth, with a great storyline. The multiplayer could have been more exciting, but the main mission makes up for it greatly.
  9. DominicB.
    Feb 18, 2004
    I think its a great game but its a bit short but the game play is gd i like when you have you own base and stuff i think they should make freedom fighter 2.
  10. PIRANHAg.
    Jan 23, 2004
    This game is only for american guys, and it´s a bullsh.t at all things.
  11. AlexL.
    Jan 16, 2004
    SHOWER OF SHITE!! Its a terrible game no one should buy.
  12. MaxJ.
    Jan 11, 2004
    This game is totally awesome!!!!! I loved it a lot but it's kinda too short. And it's kinda weird that all you need to do in every mission is to rase the flag. Of course if you want some extra points you can do other objectives. Anyway this game rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. JasonS.
    Dec 24, 2003
    I thought this game was really excellent. I actually didn't consider buying it when I first played the demo they released, but finally picked it up for my ps2. Holy %&#? was I ever surprised!! Really, really fun game.
  14. JeffL.
    Dec 17, 2003
    My favorite game of 2003.
  15. WJC.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Almost a 10, only b/c I want it to be longer. I LOVED playing it, for the sheer patriotism alone...the flag raising scenes never got old...I enjoyed kicking some soviet a**. I'm hoping for a sequel with online play.
  16. DimSum
    Dec 13, 2003
    I thought it was a great idea but after playing it for a while it was just the same thing over and over again. The controls took some time to get used to. I would have liked this game if the game play itself was more like splinter cell. Maybe a freefight mode too.
  17. JoshB.
    Dec 7, 2003
    Amazing depth and gameplay. In contrast to "Doug P."'s comment, it is a lot better then kill.switch, in gameplay, controls and squad tactics. Unfortunately short, but you won't notice if you play on -Revolutionary- difficulty setting.
  18. DanielF.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Great game....dosent last long enough though and when uve done thats it the intrest has gone, also would have been great to have mulitplayer?
  19. MattK.
    Nov 6, 2003
    An excellent game with great ideas. Everything feels right. Ragdoll is a plus. The only downer is it's way too short.
  20. MikeA.
    Nov 4, 2003
    The game was the best game i ever player it was great, i like it i love it i want more of it.
  21. EricS.
    Oct 28, 2003
    I give it a 10!!!
  22. DougP.
    Oct 25, 2003
    tI was enjoy-able for about 30 minutes - after that its the same thing over and over again. NO. Boring - even when cheating its not fun. I played Kill.Switch (demo came with Soul Calibur 2) and is a much better game; similer in view/play except Freedom fighters sucks the big one.
  23. PeterH.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Possibly one of the best tactical squad games ever, it is short and has a low replay value but the kick-assness of the story gameplay and graphics more that make up for that.
  24. John
    Oct 13, 2003
    This game is an excellent blend of squad strategy, non-linear tactical planning, immersive gaming world and adrenaline fuelled trigger action.
  25. OhYeah
    Oct 12, 2003
    Great game I have to say. Buy IT!
  26. FreedomF.
    Why not?
  27. JimK.
    Oct 12, 2003
    Great graphics and a lot of fun. It may be a short game but the multiplayer mode gives the game a few more hours of fun at the least. Nobody can deny the fact that watching the lifeless body of a soviet soldier fly off an 8 story building isn't amusing.
  28. LilMan
    Oct 10, 2003
    This game is so stupid that I almost threw it out my window until I realized I had payed for it so I gave it to goodwill.
  29. Monkeyboy
    Oct 10, 2003
    This game would have gotten a ten, were it not for the fact that it is way too short. I completed it in no time. Ironically, the game becomes easier the further you progress: the later levels don't provide the same adrenalin rush that you get on the earlier levels when you've only got a couple of guys to help you. The controls on PS2 are excellent and very intuitive, apart from This game would have gotten a ten, were it not for the fact that it is way too short. I completed it in no time. Ironically, the game becomes easier the further you progress: the later levels don't provide the same adrenalin rush that you get on the earlier levels when you've only got a couple of guys to help you. The controls on PS2 are excellent and very intuitive, apart from when you zoom into sniper mode with any weapon. You have to press and hold the left analogue stick, which invariably ends up slipping at inopportune moments. And there's no option to change it!! Bad. But the game has great charm. It's very jingoistic, but at certain points throughout the game, I couldn't stop myself grinning from ear to ear, such is the frenetic pace of each onslaught by yourself and your band of freedom fighters. The game is interspersed with regular Robocop-style news bulletins by a Russian newsreader which are very amusing too. Great graphics, great gameplay, fantastic music, let down slightly by some iffy controls and too short a playing time. I'd recommend a rental rather than a purchase. Expand
  30. Matty
    Oct 3, 2003
    Excellent! Buy it! Play it! Play it some more!!! Top Marks!
  31. StevieD.
    Oct 2, 2003
    Quality title. Controlling the squad is a breeze and their intelligence is even better than that in Halo. Don't treat the controls like a FPS - ie don't bother sniping from distance - steam straight in and have some fun. Quite surprised with it to be honest.
  32. MikeG.
    Oct 1, 2003
    If you can get past the toe-curling xenophobia and childish "commie -bashing" there is a well constructed game here, which lets you develop at a steady pace. Superb graphics and environments help make up for the truly awful voice acting. Just try to rise above and see beyond the 9/11-inspired flag waving nastiness, and you will find here a great alternative to other excellent squad-based If you can get past the toe-curling xenophobia and childish "commie -bashing" there is a well constructed game here, which lets you develop at a steady pace. Superb graphics and environments help make up for the truly awful voice acting. Just try to rise above and see beyond the 9/11-inspired flag waving nastiness, and you will find here a great alternative to other excellent squad-based shooters. Expand
  33. SkyRaven
    Sep 30, 2003
    Fierce, Fun, Buy it.
  34. HashV.
    Sep 27, 2003
    Great Graphics! Great Gameplay! I would have rated the game higher if it had the auto aim feature nevertheless, a brilliant game
  35. AdamF.
    Sep 26, 2003
    Pimpin....thas all i can say.
  36. RosieT.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Amazing game and will be first in line to buy it!!!
  37. PeterR.
    Sep 13, 2003
    Cool
  38. DavidH.
    Sep 8, 2003
    Like Dest storm only without out the soul destroying tedium, one of the best out there.
  39. HowardW.
    Sep 8, 2003
    This is as good as GTA Vice City. What a buzz.
  40. MobyJ.
    Sep 7, 2003
    I think that squad based gaming has never been this painless, definitely the best game of its type. BUY IT!!
  41. Oct 7, 2011

#36 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#52 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. An outstanding achievement in tactical action, Freedom Fighters soars to the top of the genre with spot-on gameplay and solid visuals. Streamlined tactical controls and solid AI make playing the game easy and fun.
  2. Has a handful of minor flaws (the lead character's limited control over his 12-member mercenary team, PC-like graphic stutters, lackluster multiplayer mode, etc.) that prevent it from reaching the heights of immersion and addictive fun that characterized its spiritual predecessor, "Hitman 2."
    I played it for a long time and I never really got used to some of the control issues - not that they make the game un-playable, obviously, far from it - they're just nagging.