Genji: Dawn of the Samurai PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Sep 20, 2005
8.3

1. AriS.
    Sep 23, 2007
    The visuals and sounds were executed extremely well, with a Japanese aesthetic all the way through. To have the giant Lord Benkei walking softly, carrying a big stick, through a serene garden of cherry trees, rolling hills, and babbling brooks, only to let loose with a mighty naginata swing at the first sign of an ambush, bisecting three enemy samurai with one hit, to continue walking The visuals and sounds were executed extremely well, with a Japanese aesthetic all the way through. To have the giant Lord Benkei walking softly, carrying a big stick, through a serene garden of cherry trees, rolling hills, and babbling brooks, only to let loose with a mighty naginata swing at the first sign of an ambush, bisecting three enemy samurai with one hit, to continue walking softly through the serene area after the blood dried, was somehow tremendously satisfying. I'm sure the use of the Kamui game mechanic, a temporary time slowdown, is somehow important to defeating enemies more easily - I just wish I could figure it out. The timing needed to execute that killer swing is extremely touchy, and the window of opportunity can be measured in milliseconds. Nonetheless, the combat is intriguing, not particularly difficult, and some enemies tend to leave themselves way open, going down with one hit at higher levels. I would have liked to see smarter, stronger, faster, and more enemies in the game (though not all at once!). My biggest complaint is the game's length; readers can quickly see I'm not the only one complaining about how the game should have been longer (probably far longer). It's still very enjoyable, with fun gameplay, awesome graphics, cool moves, and nice weapons and armor. I just would have so liked to see more of the above. Expand
  2. Syc
    Nov 8, 2006
    A simple but slick, well balanced and thoroughly enjoyable hack n slash with excellent control, tight gameplay and stunning visuals. Not overly long but certainly worth repeat playthroughs.

#23 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

Nicely presented, but ultimately shallow, Genji delivers tame action for the short amount of time it lasts.
  2. It’s short, the movies are long and can’t be skipped, and the difficulty takes a dive at the end of the second hour. These are reasons to avoid a game. At the same time I love Onimusha, and Genji is essentially that game with a new name and face.
  3. If you're a fan of flashy cut-'em-up action and Japanese mythology, you'll be glad to know that Genji doesn't stray from that path. Unfortunately, that path is a short one, and it ends just as soon as things really start to get interesting.