Genji: Dawn of the Samurai PlayStation 2

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 20, 2005
8.3

1. Jun 29, 2014
    Really good fun, plays like Onimusha with the brakes off. It's a little on the easy and short side, but does what it does very well. Has a neat feature; 'Kamui' - special timed feats that allow you to take out entire screens of enemies on successful taps of the square button. Like Onimusha 2, features designs by Keita Amemiya. Recommended for Onimusha/samurai game fans.
  2. AriS.
    Sep 23, 2007
    The visuals and sounds were executed extremely well, with a Japanese aesthetic all the way through. To have the giant Lord Benkei walking softly, carrying a big stick, through a serene garden of cherry trees, rolling hills, and babbling brooks, only to let loose with a mighty naginata swing at the first sign of an ambush, bisecting three enemy samurai with one hit, to continue walking The visuals and sounds were executed extremely well, with a Japanese aesthetic all the way through. To have the giant Lord Benkei walking softly, carrying a big stick, through a serene garden of cherry trees, rolling hills, and babbling brooks, only to let loose with a mighty naginata swing at the first sign of an ambush, bisecting three enemy samurai with one hit, to continue walking softly through the serene area after the blood dried, was somehow tremendously satisfying. I'm sure the use of the Kamui game mechanic, a temporary time slowdown, is somehow important to defeating enemies more easily - I just wish I could figure it out. The timing needed to execute that killer swing is extremely touchy, and the window of opportunity can be measured in milliseconds. Nonetheless, the combat is intriguing, not particularly difficult, and some enemies tend to leave themselves way open, going down with one hit at higher levels. I would have liked to see smarter, stronger, faster, and more enemies in the game (though not all at once!). My biggest complaint is the game's length; readers can quickly see I'm not the only one complaining about how the game should have been longer (probably far longer). It's still very enjoyable, with fun gameplay, awesome graphics, cool moves, and nice weapons and armor. I just would have so liked to see more of the above. Expand
  3. Syc
    Nov 8, 2006
    A simple but slick, well balanced and thoroughly enjoyable hack n slash with excellent control, tight gameplay and stunning visuals. Not overly long but certainly worth repeat playthroughs.
  4. Nancy
    Dec 13, 2005
    The gameply: Onimusha+Shinobi=Genji, but the presentation is beautiful and it doesn't have poor english dubs. The game gets a bit repetitive with the hack and slash and the storyline is okay-at best.
  5. ThorikS.
    Oct 21, 2005
    Game had good graphics the story line is way to short only 3 days of full play to beat it.
  6. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Oct 1, 2005
    This is a great rental. The graphics are nice looking. The sound in Japanese voice-over sounds good enough but I wouldn't know I don't speak Japanese. The gameplay plays alot like Onimusha which figures since its run by the same guy. So its kinda the same, even the opening sequence isalot like the one in Onimusha so whats different between the two? one word. Kamui. This is the This is a great rental. The graphics are nice looking. The sound in Japanese voice-over sounds good enough but I wouldn't know I don't speak Japanese. The gameplay plays alot like Onimusha which figures since its run by the same guy. So its kinda the same, even the opening sequence isalot like the one in Onimusha so whats different between the two? one word. Kamui. This is the rise and downfall of this game. Its alot of fun but the attacks are so powerful normal combos seem obsolete so you use Kamui alot and it becomes tiring since normal combos aren't always powerful enough. I also like the RPG elements they're basic though but I'm a sucker for leveling up and equipment hunting. So this is a great rental and if you like it enough you probably should buy it. Expand

#22 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

Nicely presented, but ultimately shallow, Genji delivers tame action for the short amount of time it lasts.
  2. It’s short, the movies are long and can’t be skipped, and the difficulty takes a dive at the end of the second hour. These are reasons to avoid a game. At the same time I love Onimusha, and Genji is essentially that game with a new name and face.
  3. If you're a fan of flashy cut-'em-up action and Japanese mythology, you'll be glad to know that Genji doesn't stray from that path. Unfortunately, that path is a short one, and it ends just as soon as things really start to get interesting.