Grand Theft Auto III PlayStation 2

8.5

1. LouisM.
    Aug 20, 2006
    Mediocre. I picked it up after having much experience with GTAs 1 and 2, with high expectations. The environment is detailed, varied, interesting, and with passable interactivity. There's a wonderful variety and sufficient volume of music included. The missions, however, are abysmal. Perhaps the worst I have ever seen in a game. Almost all are incredibly formulaic, and amount to "go Mediocre. I picked it up after having much experience with GTAs 1 and 2, with high expectations. The environment is detailed, varied, interesting, and with passable interactivity. There's a wonderful variety and sufficient volume of music included. The missions, however, are abysmal. Perhaps the worst I have ever seen in a game. Almost all are incredibly formulaic, and amount to "go to these locations with this time limit". Some missions must be thoroughly scoped (i.e., memorizing the positions of all important locations you must visit) and thus retried many times before victory is even possible, which to me seems ludacrous. Also, I'm very fond of GTA2, so I think the "respect" system and choice of gang you show your allegiance to was much more effective and advanced than the mission structure of this game, which is far more linear. Also, skirmishes between gangs on the streets do not occur often enough. Having to go through enemy territory on certain missions while being shot up is incredibly frustrating, given the already often excessive difficulty. The mechanics (especially shooting) are poorly designed and frustrating. Also, the inability to simply start a mission again from the beginning with the same equipment is bizzare. It's an okay game on the whole, but was and still is incredibly overrated and overappreciated. I really don't see how such a flawed game recieved such universally high reviews. Expand
  2. JakeH.
    Jun 3, 2004
    ok man here it goes they need better fighting styles better mini shitty game things or whatever the RC shit stuff plus whats with two stars when you kill one cop totally gay man get em to fix it I might not bust the games in half like GTA 3 and vice city peace it...
  3. Fdmint
    Nov 6, 2004
    Someone said the game is pointless ... yeah ..why doesn`t Fido just runs away with Maria ..an live happily ever after ???? ...AND MY Question : What ever happened with 8-Ball the demo-expert , "your' friend ?....and the 3 cities are very big U move very slow betwen them ...AND : I was told that there was no 4-th city !!!!!!!! or somebody was talking about that ghost city { wich is an Someone said the game is pointless ... yeah ..why doesn`t Fido just runs away with Maria ..an live happily ever after ???? ...AND MY Question : What ever happened with 8-Ball the demo-expert , "your' friend ?....and the 3 cities are very big U move very slow betwen them ...AND : I was told that there was no 4-th city !!!!!!!! or somebody was talking about that ghost city { wich is an error ? right ? } ...and I like the shot-gun..but it`s to ...i mean U can destroy a car with only 2 shots ...thats to much !!!! AND Another of my Questions : What happened with Donald Love ?? I mean in the last of his mission..that`s just a cut-seen ..he dissapears !!!..where does he go ? and why does he leave ?? Expand
  4. ApuN.
    Jan 30, 2004
    Good game, 1st city is good but got boring after. plus whats up with old grannys pulling you out of the tank:S
  5. PeteM.
    Dec 22, 2001
    Great game but the graphics are to jerky when u drive around. Should have been done better!
  6. EdwardB.
    Sep 7, 2005
    I have a love hate relationship with this game. Love: Great big cities with many areas to search. Love: Ability to shoot,crash, burn, bash and destroy. Love: realistic environment Love: Ability to steal cars and drive fast as hell and smash and run over people and things. Hate: Radio- horrible music repetitive turned it off second day playing. Hate: Repetitive sayings of pedistrians over I have a love hate relationship with this game. Love: Great big cities with many areas to search. Love: Ability to shoot,crash, burn, bash and destroy. Love: realistic environment Love: Ability to steal cars and drive fast as hell and smash and run over people and things. Hate: Radio- horrible music repetitive turned it off second day playing. Hate: Repetitive sayings of pedistrians over and over they say the same thing by the end of the game if you hear, "my mothers my sister" one more time .... your going to kill someone. Hate: Most missions are just too dam hard..period. I repeat get ready to be unbelivably frustrated and pissed. To add insult to injury when you dont succed on missions (there are many you will not succeed on -like all of them) you have to drive back to the mission trigger location so by the 10th time of doing a mission ( some missions take over 10 to 15 minutes) your swearing more then the game. Hate: Cops are too aggressive they progressively get worse up to 6 levels but by level 2 to 3 they dont stop coming. You cant outrun them as they pop out of no where...unlike Driver which you can. Hate: Targeting system on guns ....this is crap A enemy can be right on you and you cant get him. If mulitple enemie s gather around you forget it. This all adds up to a incredibly frustrating and annoying game...I played Hitman2, rockstars MANHUNT, and the Suffering right before this game and I do not know how this got a higher rating then these other games. I can't see someone playing this game for more then a month and not throwing up -this game gets very repetitive. I played it for two weeks, using cheats ( you will too or you'll be playing it for a year ) and getting 70% that was way enough for me...forever. Expand
  7. MikeB
    Dec 29, 2009
    This was a good game considering the time it was made. GTA 3 can't be compared to GTA SanAndreas or GTA4, because of graphics and range of vehicles, and weapons. People who are saying it is bad are most likely comparing it to brand new games. If you compare it to games that were made in that time period, you will probally find it is a good game. It could use some work though, like This was a good game considering the time it was made. GTA 3 can't be compared to GTA SanAndreas or GTA4, because of graphics and range of vehicles, and weapons. People who are saying it is bad are most likely comparing it to brand new games. If you compare it to games that were made in that time period, you will probally find it is a good game. It could use some work though, like your character doesn't even talk in GTA3. Expand
  8. PhoebeR.
    Jun 21, 2003
    This game was ok. Ok so the gameplay and freedom is fantastic, but the graphics are SO PLAYSTATION ONE. Rockstar should maybe put a bit more effort into the graphics and make a better storyline with missions that arn't all the same!
  9. Jul 30, 2012
    This is of course one of the greatest games of all time both in its own merits and for its innovations for gaming as a whole. Unfortunately however, the PS2 controls make this game extremely awkward to play. nlike the PC version, you can't choose between classic and PC-style controls. Obviously this game would be much easier with a mouse and keyboard but despite the auto-aim even the startThis is of course one of the greatest games of all time both in its own merits and for its innovations for gaming as a whole. Unfortunately however, the PS2 controls make this game extremely awkward to play. nlike the PC version, you can't choose between classic and PC-style controls. Obviously this game would be much easier with a mouse and keyboard but despite the auto-aim even the start of the game can be difficult due to the awkward camera (both in car and on foot), clunky movement and looking around. To turn the camera you go into first person and can't do anything, and the sensitivity is too low. The game is an iconic masterpiece but the controls make it almost unplayable. It owuld be nice to at least be able to use the PC style controls with a controller. Expand
  10. Mar 10, 2012
    This Game Is Alright For Gamers. I Would Rather Play This Game If I Had Nothing To Do Though. But It Is A Good Game. i Just Wish The Voice, Sound And Lighting Would Improve.
  11. Dec 16, 2012
    Amazing game. Good graphics and big city, for its times, and very good plot. The gameplay is great because you can do a lot of things (although it isn't even comparable to GTA San Andreas). 100% recommended.
  12. SuperDude
    Feb 11, 2002
    It is a really great game, it's just that I can't seem to wanna play it more and more. When I get killed or busted I just feel like quiting.
  13. AndyS.
    Dec 29, 2004
    This is definitely a great game, but when it comes to the story, just like the other GTA's, it's not to addctive. All in all, the gam is good, but it needs more color. Comparing it to the new GTA's, Vice City, as well as San Andreas, it doesn't even make a 6.5.
  14. JesusC.
    Oct 9, 2007
    It's a decent game, but it's also a little stale a little more than 4 hours in.

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]