Grand Theft Auto III PlayStation 2

8.5

1. BradL.
    Feb 22, 2002
    This is the greatest game ever, I play it until my eyes get strained and boggy, then take a 10 minute break!
  2. TylerW.
    Feb 24, 2002
    HOLY CRAP!!!
  3. PsychoMantis
    Mar 11, 2002
    A greeeaaat game, lotsa replay value in this title, very nice "radio stations" you can select while in a vehicle, one minor gripe though, the graphics could be better, but considering the scale and fun of this title it's very easily forgiven A+!!!!
  4. PhilW.
    Mar 1, 2002
    I think it's just endless fun which doesn't lack anything.
  5. BrookU.
    Mar 4, 2002
    I'm speechless. This game is amazing.
  6. DaveE.
    Apr 11, 2002
    This is a totally amazing game. The missions vary widely and never get boring, and almost all of them have multiple solutions. This game loses points for a slightly 'floaty' physics engine, and a nearly unusable targeting system. Despite these drawbacks, this title is a must-buy for any PS2 owner.
  7. JonD.
    Apr 16, 2002
    This game is the best in the world. I like running over the person's car you just stole.
  8. IanWendt
    Apr 3, 2002
    this is the best game for playstation 2. Why? Cuz you get to pick up sluts and fuck their brains out. Yes yes i know im a nymphomaniac, but what straight guy isnt? The best part is using the cheat that lets you be a slut and then pick up a slut so they can have lesbo sex!!! Awesome isnt it?
  9. Jimbob
    Jun 10, 2002
    The best game ever, although when I took to a pimp on the side of the road with my baseball bat, he didn't drop money like in the game.
  10. CrisC.
    Jun 21, 2002
    Suppa. Naturally Suppa!
  11. EstebanB.
    Jun 2, 2002
    One of the best games created, since who knows what.
  12. Steve
    Jun 2, 2002
    Do yourself a favor -- if you don't own this game, go buy it. Trust me, you will NOT regret it. Has to be one of the best all time games
  13. SimonO.
    Jun 22, 2002
    This is the best game in the world to ps2, I played it in a store for free and now I have the game at home. It is just addictive!!
  14. J.Bob
    Jun 25, 2002
    One word, AWESOME.
  15. JasonL.
    Jul 11, 2002
    Hey gamemakers, if you produce games like this you will make a lot of money, it is that simple. PLEASE don't change the sequel too much.
  16. UmbertoM.
    Jul 25, 2002
    There is only one thing to say about this game... awesome. The sense of freedom that it gives you cannot be described. GTA III and Medal of Honor Frontline must be owned by anyone. Frankly it's quite impossible to reach their greatness.
  17. J.Lowell
    Jul 8, 2002
    THIS GAME ROCKS! I can't wait for the next one!!!!!! buy this game.
  18. ConsuelaS.
    Mar 11, 2003
    Grand Theft Auto 3 is the best game ever envented. I am really hooked on the game when I play it. My cousin always yells at me for staying on it too long and but I end up having to get of off the game because my cousin ends up beating me up. Thankyou for taking the time to read my comments,
  19. DarylR.
    Mar 7, 2003
    This game was the greatest game ever with GTA Vice City!!!!!!!
  20. ScottV.
    May 27, 2003
    It's the best game ever made PERIOD!!!!!!!
  21. DonnyF.
    Aug 8, 2003
    This game is awesome for those who say it sucks YOU SUCK!!!!!!
  22. AndrewJ.
    Jan 31, 2004
    A lot of fun.
  23. PIRANHAg.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Rockstar guys I LUV YOU. Simply Perfect.
  24. JasonB.
    Nov 16, 2005
    The criminal underworld backdrop is always fun to have as a storyline, but the gameplay of GTA 3 is fun with or without it.
  25. MarkG.
    Jan 21, 2005
    A classic title that should be in every gamer's collection. Its success is evident in the endless clones and comparisons that continue even today. Replayability well beyond hundreds of hours.
  26. MikelR.
    Jun 4, 2005
    How could you not like it?
  27. PhilipP.
    Jan 24, 2007
    The reason I give a ten is not because its the best game out because it isn't but because I really thing this game changed the revolution of the gaming world it was amazing and still is 10/10.
  28. JohnS.
    Feb 24, 2007
    This game is pretty good, but not perfect. Good use of open-endedness though. Cool Am Ivan, there is no Boggsville. Theres a ghost area that was used for the opening act of GTA 3, but it isnt solid and can be gotten there by dodo going north of shorside vale. There is no blacksmith and no swords and no boss battle there. Don't believe this liar. And the game doesn't suck, either.
  29. Kewlkat
    Aug 22, 2007
    "Beyond the initial draw of 'something unexpected' and the occasional recurrence of a shamefully base desire to clumsily, chaotically, and downright ridiculously murder heaps of random clones wandering the drab streets of Liberty City, I can think of nothing worthy of praise in this over-inflated piece of trash." If you understood a single word I quoted above, than this game is"Beyond the initial draw of 'something unexpected' and the occasional recurrence of a shamefully base desire to clumsily, chaotically, and downright ridiculously murder heaps of random clones wandering the drab streets of Liberty City, I can think of nothing worthy of praise in this over-inflated piece of trash." If you understood a single word I quoted above, than this game is too much fun for you. Sorry. :( Collapse
  30. SteveS
    Feb 26, 2008
    The fact is, GTA III is the video game equivalent of Nirvana's Nevermind. This is the one that broke the mold and changed the entire industry. Love it or hate it, you have to appreciate the fact that GTA III is just as important as Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Pac-Man or Space Invaders.
  31. MatthewC.
    Apr 26, 2008
    I'm only 10 but i like all GTA games and this is the first GTA game i ever played and it's awesome!!!! I'm getting a PSP and GTA Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories for my birth day which is in less than 2 weeks. This is a Must have game!!!
  32. EricS.
    Nov 28, 2001
    An awesome game, I know it's on my X-mas list!
  33. Lod
    Nov 4, 2001
    From the moment I started playing this game, I couldn't stop! It's an amazing experience, and I would suggest it to everyone with a PS2. In my opinion, GTA3 already has a place with the greatest games of all time.
  34. AliceL.
    Dec 17, 2001
    I don't care what other people say, there is absolutely nothing in this game I could possibly think that can be improved. The game life alone made me give this a ten, not including graphics, story line, cars, weapons, etc. etc. This game is awesome!
  35. ShavarM.
    Dec 21, 2001
    This is the bomb of 2001/2002.
  36. ChrisC.
    Dec 23, 2001
    Off the chain!!! Music from "Scarface," Mafia terms all the good sh*t! The ultimate gangsta game!
  37. ajhounshell
    Dec 27, 2001
    this game is fucking sweet pete m said the driving graphics sucked well fuck u the graphics are off the hook how good do u want a fucking game its not allways gonna be perfect. well this site is sweet too.p.s gggggggtttttttttaaaaaaaaa 33333 rocksssssssss bye.ps2 fuck ps2 two next year because next year theres going to be ps 3 and its upgraded like 10 times better. so se ya
    ps 1 more time
    ps 1 more time im a male im si ngle 13 any girls that are hot email me and put as subject hi boy my email is aj6996@hotmail.com bye.
  38. RoyL.
    Dec 27, 2001
    GTA 3 is a masterpiece. Just f... awesome.
  39. RiccardoF.
    Dec 27, 2001
    What can I say? Bellissimo!!! Fantastico!!! The Best! Please give us a sequel soon! Pete and Denny, come on! Just say the truth! CAPISCI A ME!
  40. RobJ.
    Dec 3, 2001
    This game is the best - if u like Crazy Taxi, any shooting game or any driving game this game has it all. If u haven?t played it, u haven't lived.
  41. TerryJ.
    Oct 26, 2001
    This game has great screen play, perfect animation...a must have!
  42. PatrickM.
    Oct 26, 2001
    I didn't care for GTA 1 or 2, so my expectations were a bit low going into GTA 3 -- was I ever in for a pleasant surprise! GTA 3 is HUGELY entertaining. The graphics slow down every now and then, and there is a lot of hardcore mature content (violence and sexual innuendo), but the gameplay is so incredibly good you soon forget you're playing a game at all -- totally immersive I didn't care for GTA 1 or 2, so my expectations were a bit low going into GTA 3 -- was I ever in for a pleasant surprise! GTA 3 is HUGELY entertaining. The graphics slow down every now and then, and there is a lot of hardcore mature content (violence and sexual innuendo), but the gameplay is so incredibly good you soon forget you're playing a game at all -- totally immersive and a must-own for any PS2 owner! Expand
  43. SeanC.
    Oct 27, 2001
    A great game which is truly greater than the sum of its parts. Frustrating at points, though.
  44. DarienA.
    Oct 29, 2001
    At the top of it's game.
  45. ShaunH.
    Nov 26, 2002
    This game is definitely the best i've ever played. I'd really appreciate more info. on the 4th city if its boggeville or boggsville i have heard many rumors about it and would like to know if it really exists. I've also heard of another person to work for and that he gives u 7 more missions i've heard his name is Darkal anyone know about him?
  46. Wowww
    Jan 13, 2002
    Two words: BAD. ASS.
    Jan 23, 2002
    Pissed? Pump some bitch fulla lead! And you don't have to go to jail either. GTA3 is the answer. Stop beating that pillow! GTA3 is the ultimate stress reliever. If this game existed since the beginning of time there would be no crime! Extremely satisfying. The one game that everyone should own and you can NEVER get bored of. I give this game 11!
  48. BrianW.
    Jan 27, 2002
    I am going to start out by saying that this game is simple a masterpiece. It has graphics, well thought out plot, comments hilarious, commercials even funnier. GAME=GREAT
  49. AaronB.
    Jan 28, 2002
    I haven't even played the game yet, but still it is a masterpiece.
  50. AliciaR.
    Jan 28, 2002
    I cannot stop playing!
  51. Chris(TheJACK)
    Jan 29, 2002
    This game rules and the guy who rated it in next gen should be fired and learn what games are all about. This has cutting edge graphics and a full graphically interfaceable city! What other game has that?! ANSWER ME Mr. I'm from next gen. gaming magazine and I don't know what games are all about because I've never PLAYED THEM! No other game has that. That's the answer. This game rules and the guy who rated it in next gen should be fired and learn what games are all about. This has cutting edge graphics and a full graphically interfaceable city! What other game has that?! ANSWER ME Mr. I'm from next gen. gaming magazine and I don't know what games are all about because I've never PLAYED THEM! No other game has that. That's the answer. What are you playing virtual reality games that link to your nerve cords?! That's the only step forward from here! Absolute must buy it's the reason I bought PS2!! Expand
  52. JonH.
    Feb 21, 2002
    The best stress reliever I've seen lately.
  53. H.H.Lee
    Mar 22, 2002
    Sure, this game ain't as pretty as other 'next-gen' titles, but anyone who has the brains to take gameplay into consideration, will definitely deem this game as one of the finest games ever made.
  54. MikeyC.
    Jul 16, 2002
    Best game ever!
  57. BrandonH.
    Aug 11, 2002
    I have no freakin clue what cool am ivan is talking about. Since when is there a town in gta3 called boggsville, and since when does gta3 have battles in it? I'm pretty sure hes talking about godai: elemental force. Well, this game is great! It is a bit hard at times, but manageable. One thing i would like better in gta vice city is in car views, helicopters that stay in air longer I have no freakin clue what cool am ivan is talking about. Since when is there a town in gta3 called boggsville, and since when does gta3 have battles in it? I'm pretty sure hes talking about godai: elemental force. Well, this game is great! It is a bit hard at times, but manageable. One thing i would like better in gta vice city is in car views, helicopters that stay in air longer than 5 seconds, and better graphics. It would also be cool to go in bulidings. A better ending would be awesome too! Expand
  58. KevinM.
    Sep 16, 2002
    This game is great none-the-less. It has violence, action, and foul language...what else can you ask for? Anyway, I'm curious about this Boggsville story and would like to know more, but I guess I won't get to know the rest to that. Again, GTA III is awesome and Vice City, the next GTA, should be just as good.
  59. NathanN.
    Feb 19, 2003
    I love this game. You can do anything you want. Kill an old woman, steal a cop car, go on a killing spree, anything.
  60. KevinW.
    Jun 23, 2003
    I love this movie. Its awesome.
  61. KevinS.
    Mar 13, 2004
    I love this game because it is fun and it's always somethin' to do.
  62. SeanB.
    Jul 15, 2004
    Dark, intriguing, addicting. Nice to play when youre having a bad day. Story is probably the best on any platform for any game ever in eternity- even though I thought it ended kind of abruptly.
  63. PeterC.
    Dec 25, 2001
    There is only one thing I can say about this game:WOW!
  64. Shills
    Dec 26, 2001
    Everything you could have ever dreamed in a game - realism is unbelievable. A shame the attitude of people like Denny D. hinder games such as these being released.
  65. CoreyR.
    Dec 28, 2001
    This is one of the few games that is fun to watch other people play.
  66. WesG.
    Dec 29, 2001
    The Best game I have played yet! I have yet to play a game that conducts as much fun as this title. BUY THIS GAME! That's all there is to it. I would like to pat Rockstar and the other designers of this title on the back. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BOYS/GIRLS!!!
  67. MatthieuR.
    Dec 16, 2004
    The greatest videogame ever made.
  68. TimG
    Dec 23, 2007
    Who cares about the controversy?!?!?! Get to grips DASHEL J its a game and probably the bet I've ever played on so stop whining!!!
  69. Oct 3, 2010
    The game that transformed the genre and the industry~ I remember staying at a friends place, me and a few others taking turns to play this game I could never forget how much fun this game has brought me over time and how long it stayed relevant and fun.
  70. Jun 12, 2013
    As a game Grand Theft Auto III certainly has its flaws’, including fairly poor controls as well as some horrendous difficulty spikes. Very few games however claim to be as influential on video game design to the point where, more than a decade after its release, games are still imitating its formula.
  71. Sep 20, 2013
    GTA III is the 3rd installment in the GTA series. The game remains one of the most contrevisial games ever, the game is violent and cool, the story is the best thing about the game and the gameplay now isn't that unique and the graphics is what everybody is about but this game came out in 2001 and those were the best graphics for those years. GTA III is an amazing game and it's incrediblyGTA III is the 3rd installment in the GTA series. The game remains one of the most contrevisial games ever, the game is violent and cool, the story is the best thing about the game and the gameplay now isn't that unique and the graphics is what everybody is about but this game came out in 2001 and those were the best graphics for those years. GTA III is an amazing game and it's incredibly alot and I mean alot of fun. 10/10 Expand
  72. Apr 16, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto III is, quite simply, one of the greatest video game accomplishments in history. It single-handedly invented the sandbox genre, and it's my favorite video game of all time. It gets nearly everything it tries to do right, and in doing so, made history. The open ended gameplay is always fun, but that's what most people focus on, but who could blame them? Before GTA III,Grand Theft Auto III is, quite simply, one of the greatest video game accomplishments in history. It single-handedly invented the sandbox genre, and it's my favorite video game of all time. It gets nearly everything it tries to do right, and in doing so, made history. The open ended gameplay is always fun, but that's what most people focus on, but who could blame them? Before GTA III, gamers had never played anything like this before. However, there is a story here revolving around structured missions that shouldn't be missed. GTA III combines action/adventure and driving games flawlessly. With its respectable amount of vehicle and weapon choices, alongside the size of the map and the progressively tougher story missions, this is an extremely varied game that will almost sate anyone's appetite for a lengthy adventure to sink their teeth into. The story itself is, admittedly, nothing special, but with the sheer size of this game (for its time), to even incorporate a flowing narrative is, without a doubt, something to marvel. That's basically how I saw this game when it was released; something I was absolutely in awe at. The controls are spot on for driving, walking around, punching random pedestrians, etc., but the targeting system for aiming weapons will leave a bad taste with some gamers. Does that make it bad? No. Once you learn how to use it (along with conserving health and armor) you can get through any mission with minimal trouble. Any reviewer who could possibly label this masterpiece as a bad game simply has no business reviewing video games. That Sleeping Dogs, Crackdown, Infamous games you've been playing? All of those owe GTA III, big time. This game is the blueprint for sandbox games, and a damn fine model to go from, at that. Even games like the Tony Hawk franchise took note of the open world design in later entries, and it's hard to say that GTA III didn't have a hand in inspiring any of the games I've mentioned above. It's simply a monumental title that must be played by anyone who's mature enough to handle its visceral, gritty violence. I'll be the first to admit that it's not perfect, but it's so, so close to it, and is easily my favorite game in the GTA series. I'd even dare say that if you give this game a bad review, you had no business playing video games in general. GTA III has so much great going for it, you'll easily overlook the bad if you simply just take the time to get used to it. Which sadly, a minority of people won't. Their loss. 10/10. Expand
  73. Jan 1, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto 3 was a huge leap forward for videogame history as it featured one of the first fully 3D open world environments and a good story mode.
  74. Mar 16, 2013
    Cool am Ivan is 0% right. GTA III is the best PlayStation 2 game ever so dont listen to um..."Cool" am Ivan. The story-line is breathtaking and has a awesome set of missions, including Toni Cipriani!
  75. Dec 27, 2013
    I sold my n 64 and 30 some odd games plus a ps1 and some more games to buy a PS2 and GTA 3. It was worth it. I Love how revolutionary this game was. I brought open real worlds gaming to the millennium. Boy gaming wise this started will an earthquake that shocked the gaming industry. One of the most innovative titles i have ever had the grace to play. Plus the main character does not haveI sold my n 64 and 30 some odd games plus a ps1 and some more games to buy a PS2 and GTA 3. It was worth it. I Love how revolutionary this game was. I brought open real worlds gaming to the millennium. Boy gaming wise this started will an earthquake that shocked the gaming industry. One of the most innovative titles i have ever had the grace to play. Plus the main character does not have an annoying voice nor does he say cheesy cliches. Expand
  76. Sep 28, 2013
    The second game after MGS 2 that started the 3D era. Playing this game really see how crime really dangerous is, so kids learn not to copy these actions or you might end up in jail. The game is exciting,
    good to kill civilians and things to do are superb. Classic.
  77. Sep 25, 2013
    EN: Grand Theft Auto III isn't just a superb game, he's also the most influential and revolutionary title of its generation and was able to become the ground zero of modern third-person gaming.

PT-BR: Grand Theft Auto III não só um jogo soberbo, ele também o título mais influente e revolucionário de sua geração e foi capaz de se tornar o marco zero dos jogos modernos em terceira pessra pessoa
  78. Sep 29, 2013
    Si bien para mí "Grand Theft Auto" empezó en Vice City, "Grand Theft Auto III" es legendario y digno de cualquier espectador que siga disfrutando de una de mis consolas favoritas: la legendaria PlayStation 2, y ¿Por qué es mi favorita? Porque juegos como "Gand Theft Auto III" se presentaron para esta increíble consola. Impresionante lo que se es capaz de hacer en este mapa y me acuerdoSi bien para mí "Grand Theft Auto" empezó en Vice City, "Grand Theft Auto III" es legendario y digno de cualquier espectador que siga disfrutando de una de mis consolas favoritas: la legendaria PlayStation 2, y ¿Por qué es mi favorita? Porque juegos como "Gand Theft Auto III" se presentaron para esta increíble consola. Impresionante lo que se es capaz de hacer en este mapa y me acuerdo hace mucho tiempo la primera vez que lo jugué casi estaba por llorar porque directamente era hermoso lo que pasaba por mis ojos. "Grand Theft Auto" manda. Expand
  79. Oct 30, 2013
    the two firsts gta games were nothing special,but in the third game and with another generation they made something really special and terrific,this game would change this series forever.
  80. Apr 21, 2014
    The Best in the Grand Theft Auto Series gorgeous graphics good story line awesome controls great characters i think this is the Citizen Kane of gaming in my opinion i recommend playing this awesome game
  81. Nov 18, 2014
    THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME ! The only thing I complain about is the controls other than that this game is awesome ! It has cool graphics great gameplay and variety for weapons ! GET THIS GAME ON THE PSN
  82. Jul 16, 2014
    I love all the characters in this game, I love Claude, I love almost everything in this game. GTA V and GTA IV don't have that feeling I have with older GTA games. If you see this game on sale, GET IT!!! Steam can have my $3.74 for this game :)
  83. Aug 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Grand Theft Auto III is one of a kind. With a 3D and 2D Third Person View, epic artwork for the Heads Up Display and 3D models like no other in the time, Grand Theft Auto III has nailed the best Graphic Design I have ever seen that comes from the year it was made. Sure, there are other good designs like the Elder Scrolls at the time but the artwork on the box and in game makes me go "Holy f*ckin' ****

The gameplay has again, a 3D and 2D Third Person View, making this as view-customizable as Fallout. The free roam is quick but locked places can take time to UNlock the locations. Although there aren't many character customization options (-1), there is quite an array of weapons available to the player. Unlike San Andreas, it was a shame that the game had a garage without any modification options, making the vehicles barely customizable (-1).

However, I like the way when you kick someone, you actually get money unlike the nowadays Grand Theft Auto where it automatically drops out of the victim's wallet after being killed. Not to mention geting stacks of money only worth up to $50.

Grand Theft Auto III will always be one game withing my heart, even in this year of 2014.
  84. Oct 19, 2014
    Players are put at the heart of their very own gangster movie, and let loose in a fully-realised 3 dimensional city with a cast of hundreds, 50 plus vehicles, ranging from sports cars to ice cream trucks and from boats to buses, 3 hours of music, including opera, reggae, house, drum and bass, pop and disco, and a huge array of street ready weapons.
  85. May 17, 2015
    The voice acting is simply amazing. Unlike most video games, much of the voice acting is done by fairly famous names, including Joe Pantoliano, Michael Rapaport, Kyle MacLachlan.This is a remarkable achievement of proportions we never imagined possible. It has single-handedly changed the way we see all video game entertainment and the repercussions it should have for the industry are staggering
  86. Nov 2, 2014
    Revolutionized gaming as we know it. The world didn't know how ready it was for this game when it dropped all those years ago. I'm not sure it has aged well, but when this game launched it was a 10, and there was no question about it.
  87. Feb 22, 2015
    It's a legendary game. It's my favorite game. Atmosphere of GTA3 will be always in my soul. Thank you Rockstar for created this masterpiece!

"Crime does pay!" (Claude)
  88. Mar 22, 2015
    The days before Grand Theft Auto became a world of sexual themes was certainly a good one even if I am now shaking my head at the amount of strong language featured here. The graphics here are a bit under par if I do say so myself but the gameplay itself is top notch. Grand Theft Auto III is quite simply put a fun romp through a huge city. It's incredibly innovate yet outlandish at theThe days before Grand Theft Auto became a world of sexual themes was certainly a good one even if I am now shaking my head at the amount of strong language featured here. The graphics here are a bit under par if I do say so myself but the gameplay itself is top notch. Grand Theft Auto III is quite simply put a fun romp through a huge city. It's incredibly innovate yet outlandish at the same time and that is what defines GTA. Expand
  89. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If Someone Were To Play This Game, Having Played Grand Theft Auto IV And it's Subsequent Add-Ons You Would Definitely See! How Dated And Sloppy Some Areas Of Grand Theft Auto III Can Be. But At The Time Of It's Release, It Was An Absolute Landmark In Gaming. It Set The Standard For Open World Games As Know It And Introduced Gameplay Elements That Are Now Common Ground. It Can Be Hard To Appreciate This Game As Much As Expand
  90. Aug 8, 2015
    Very good! Game with great storyline, gameplay , story , graphics for that time , cars, weapons and all! Very much recommend this game ! I played as a child, always had difficulty in some missions until passed, but after battling ! That's because I was very bad at playing , was the first 3D game I played in my life , the graphics were simply sensational when I played for the first time !
  91. Aug 12, 2015
    The second best GTA of them all!
    The second best GTA of them all!
    Let me put one thing out there, this was not my first GTA game. My first was GTA 2 then 1 and then 3. Mentioning that is just to show that it is not nostalgia alone speaking when I say that the only GTA to beat this in my eyes was GTA V. Many people prefer San Andreas (and with good reason) however I felt that game was too clustered for its own good which made performance suffer greatly back in the day on consoles. This game has a great story in a dark realistic Liberty City with missions taking you to work with the mob, help out club owners or just create general mayhem! The graphics may not have aged well but they aren't painful to look at by any means and the game is still a joy to play. Especially with cheats.
  92. Sep 30, 2015
    When the game Grand Theft Auto (1997) came out on the original Playstation, it was an amazing game but with a top down view which I really didn't like. A few years later the amazing game Driver (1999) came out and I remember how impressed I was with that game's freedom to drive anywhere you want in the city in full 3D! Then came GTA III for the PS2, which combined the excellent gameplay ofWhen the game Grand Theft Auto (1997) came out on the original Playstation, it was an amazing game but with a top down view which I really didn't like. A few years later the amazing game Driver (1999) came out and I remember how impressed I was with that game's freedom to drive anywhere you want in the city in full 3D! Then came GTA III for the PS2, which combined the excellent gameplay of GTA with the 3D view of Driver.

The graphics and sound were great for that time. I loved the many radio channels in the car (opera music!).
    The camera position was sometimes annoying; I particularely didn't like how the view changed to first person view when you wanted to look around. The controls were decent but a lot of times i was shooting at another person than the one i intended to shoot.

The game has aged quite well and is still a lot of fun to play, but it was surpassed in every way by its successors GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas.

I didn't like the dark and gloomy colors of GTA III, it looked like it was dark and raining almost all the time. GTA Vice City threw the darkness out of the window and chose for bright colors. GTA San Andreas added the great multi-player option for two gamers on one screen, swimming, more vehicles and planes etc... but GTA III was the game that made the first step towards the title of best game series in the history of gaming.

For that reason I rate this game 8 out of 10.
  93. Dec 24, 2015
    Amazing game. Truly a revolutionary masterpiece. Anyone that doesn't like this game is on crack. So much variety, such a classic that helped shape games of this genre. Wether it's street racing or killing people, there is some thing for every one.
  94. May 13, 2016
    Самая значимая игра в серии и одна из самых значимых вообще в игровой индустрии. Одна из первых игр, которая продвинула PS2. Первая 3D-игра в серии. Незамысловатый простой сюжет, где грабителя по имени Клод, предала Каталина. Естественно главный герой хочет отомстить. Этого он и пытается добиться в течении всей игры. Ему придется стать водителем, наёмником, убийцей. Он всё сделает радиСамая значимая игра в серии и одна из самых значимых вообще в игровой индустрии. Одна из первых игр, которая продвинула PS2. Первая 3D-игра в серии. Незамысловатый простой сюжет, где грабителя по имени Клод, предала Каталина. Естественно главный герой хочет отомстить. Этого он и пытается добиться в течении всей игры. Ему придется стать водителем, наёмником, убийцей. Он всё сделает ради денег. Геймплей тоже порадовал. Теперь это открытый мир без коридора, где можешь делать всё что захочешь. Графика на PS2-версии устарела, но всё равно ту мрачную атмосферу не передать словами. Абсолютно 10/10. Expand

#3 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Next Generation Magazine
    Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]