8.5

1. WesG.
    Dec 29, 2001
    The Best game I have played yet! I have yet to play a game that conducts as much fun as this title. BUY THIS GAME! That's all there is to it. I would like to pat Rockstar and the other designers of this title on the back. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BOYS/GIRLS!!!
  2. MatthieuR.
    Dec 16, 2004
    The greatest videogame ever made.
  3. TimG
    Dec 23, 2007
    Who cares about the controversy?!?!?! Get to grips DASHEL J its a game and probably the bet I've ever played on so stop whining!!!
  4. Oct 3, 2010
    The game that transformed the genre and the industry~ I remember staying at a friends place, me and a few others taking turns to play this game I could never forget how much fun this game has brought me over time and how long it stayed relevant and fun.
  5. Jun 12, 2013
    As a game Grand Theft Auto III certainly has its flaws’, including fairly poor controls as well as some horrendous difficulty spikes. Very few games however claim to be as influential on video game design to the point where, more than a decade after its release, games are still imitating its formula.
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    GTA III is the 3rd installment in the GTA series. The game remains one of the most contrevisial games ever, the game is violent and cool, the story is the best thing about the game and the gameplay now isn't that unique and the graphics is what everybody is about but this game came out in 2001 and those were the best graphics for those years. GTA III is an amazing game and it's incrediblyGTA III is the 3rd installment in the GTA series. The game remains one of the most contrevisial games ever, the game is violent and cool, the story is the best thing about the game and the gameplay now isn't that unique and the graphics is what everybody is about but this game came out in 2001 and those were the best graphics for those years. GTA III is an amazing game and it's incredibly alot and I mean alot of fun. 10/10 Expand
  7. Apr 16, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto III is, quite simply, one of the greatest video game accomplishments in history. It single-handedly invented the sandbox genre, and it's my favorite video game of all time. It gets nearly everything it tries to do right, and in doing so, made history. The open ended gameplay is always fun, but that's what most people focus on, but who could blame them? Before GTA III,Grand Theft Auto III is, quite simply, one of the greatest video game accomplishments in history. It single-handedly invented the sandbox genre, and it's my favorite video game of all time. It gets nearly everything it tries to do right, and in doing so, made history. The open ended gameplay is always fun, but that's what most people focus on, but who could blame them? Before GTA III, gamers had never played anything like this before. However, there is a story here revolving around structured missions that shouldn't be missed. GTA III combines action/adventure and driving games flawlessly. With its respectable amount of vehicle and weapon choices, alongside the size of the map and the progressively tougher story missions, this is an extremely varied game that will almost sate anyone's appetite for a lengthy adventure to sink their teeth into. The story itself is, admittedly, nothing special, but with the sheer size of this game (for its time), to even incorporate a flowing narrative is, without a doubt, something to marvel. That's basically how I saw this game when it was released; something I was absolutely in awe at. The controls are spot on for driving, walking around, punching random pedestrians, etc., but the targeting system for aiming weapons will leave a bad taste with some gamers. Does that make it bad? No. Once you learn how to use it (along with conserving health and armor) you can get through any mission with minimal trouble. Any reviewer who could possibly label this masterpiece as a bad game simply has no business reviewing video games. That Sleeping Dogs, Crackdown, Infamous games you've been playing? All of those owe GTA III, big time. This game is the blueprint for sandbox games, and a damn fine model to go from, at that. Even games like the Tony Hawk franchise took note of the open world design in later entries, and it's hard to say that GTA III didn't have a hand in inspiring any of the games I've mentioned above. It's simply a monumental title that must be played by anyone who's mature enough to handle its visceral, gritty violence. I'll be the first to admit that it's not perfect, but it's so, so close to it, and is easily my favorite game in the GTA series. I'd even dare say that if you give this game a bad review, you had no business playing video games in general. GTA III has so much great going for it, you'll easily overlook the bad if you simply just take the time to get used to it. Which sadly, a minority of people won't. Their loss. 10/10. Expand
  8. Jan 1, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto 3 was a huge leap forward for videogame history as it featured one of the first fully 3D open world environments and a good story mode.
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    Cool am Ivan is 0% right. GTA III is the best PlayStation 2 game ever so dont listen to um..."Cool" am Ivan. The story-line is breathtaking and has a awesome set of missions, including Toni Cipriani!
  10. Dec 27, 2013
    I sold my n 64 and 30 some odd games plus a ps1 and some more games to buy a PS2 and GTA 3. It was worth it. I Love how revolutionary this game was. I brought open real worlds gaming to the millennium. Boy gaming wise this started will an earthquake that shocked the gaming industry. One of the most innovative titles i have ever had the grace to play. Plus the main character does not haveI sold my n 64 and 30 some odd games plus a ps1 and some more games to buy a PS2 and GTA 3. It was worth it. I Love how revolutionary this game was. I brought open real worlds gaming to the millennium. Boy gaming wise this started will an earthquake that shocked the gaming industry. One of the most innovative titles i have ever had the grace to play. Plus the main character does not have an annoying voice nor does he say cheesy cliches. Expand
  11. Sep 28, 2013
    The second game after MGS 2 that started the 3D era. Playing this game really see how crime really dangerous is, so kids learn not to copy these actions or you might end up in jail. The game is exciting,
    good to kill civilians and things to do are superb. Classic.
  12. Sep 25, 2013
    EN: Grand Theft Auto III isn't just a superb game, he's also the most influential and revolutionary title of its generation and was able to become the ground zero of modern third-person gaming.

PT-BR: Grand Theft Auto III não só um jogo soberbo, ele também o título mais influente e revolucionário de sua geração e foi capaz de se tornar o marco zero dos jogos modernos em terceira pessra pessoa
  13. Sep 29, 2013
    Si bien para mí "Grand Theft Auto" empezó en Vice City, "Grand Theft Auto III" es legendario y digno de cualquier espectador que siga disfrutando de una de mis consolas favoritas: la legendaria PlayStation 2, y ¿Por qué es mi favorita? Porque juegos como "Gand Theft Auto III" se presentaron para esta increíble consola. Impresionante lo que se es capaz de hacer en este mapa y me acuerdoSi bien para mí "Grand Theft Auto" empezó en Vice City, "Grand Theft Auto III" es legendario y digno de cualquier espectador que siga disfrutando de una de mis consolas favoritas: la legendaria PlayStation 2, y ¿Por qué es mi favorita? Porque juegos como "Gand Theft Auto III" se presentaron para esta increíble consola. Impresionante lo que se es capaz de hacer en este mapa y me acuerdo hace mucho tiempo la primera vez que lo jugué casi estaba por llorar porque directamente era hermoso lo que pasaba por mis ojos. "Grand Theft Auto" manda. Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2013
    the two firsts gta games were nothing special,but in the third game and with another generation they made something really special and terrific,this game would change this series forever.
  15. Apr 21, 2014
    The Best in the Grand Theft Auto Series gorgeous graphics good story line awesome controls great characters i think this is the Citizen Kane of gaming in my opinion i recommend playing this awesome game
  16. Nov 18, 2014
    THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME ! The only thing I complain about is the controls other than that this game is awesome ! It has cool graphics great gameplay and variety for weapons ! GET THIS GAME ON THE PSN
  17. Jul 16, 2014
    I love all the characters in this game, I love Claude, I love almost everything in this game. GTA V and GTA IV don't have that feeling I have with older GTA games. If you see this game on sale, GET IT!!! Steam can have my $3.74 for this game :)
  18. Aug 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Grand Theft Auto III is one of a kind. With a 3D and 2D Third Person View, epic artwork for the Heads Up Display and 3D models like no other in the time, Grand Theft Auto III has nailed the best Graphic Design I have ever seen that comes from the year it was made. Sure, there are other good designs like the Elder Scrolls at the time but the artwork on the box and in game makes me go "Holy f*ckin' ****

The gameplay has again, a 3D and 2D Third Person View, making this as view-customizable as Fallout. The free roam is quick but locked places can take time to UNlock the locations. Although there aren't many character customization options (-1), there is quite an array of weapons available to the player. Unlike San Andreas, it was a shame that the game had a garage without any modification options, making the vehicles barely customizable (-1).

However, I like the way when you kick someone, you actually get money unlike the nowadays Grand Theft Auto where it automatically drops out of the victim's wallet after being killed. Not to mention geting stacks of money only worth up to $50.

Grand Theft Auto III will always be one game withing my heart, even in this year of 2014.
  19. Oct 19, 2014
    Players are put at the heart of their very own gangster movie, and let loose in a fully-realised 3 dimensional city with a cast of hundreds, 50 plus vehicles, ranging from sports cars to ice cream trucks and from boats to buses, 3 hours of music, including opera, reggae, house, drum and bass, pop and disco, and a huge array of street ready weapons.
  20. May 17, 2015
    The voice acting is simply amazing. Unlike most video games, much of the voice acting is done by fairly famous names, including Joe Pantoliano, Michael Rapaport, Kyle MacLachlan.This is a remarkable achievement of proportions we never imagined possible. It has single-handedly changed the way we see all video game entertainment and the repercussions it should have for the industry are staggering
  21. Nov 2, 2014
    Revolutionized gaming as we know it. The world didn't know how ready it was for this game when it dropped all those years ago. I'm not sure it has aged well, but when this game launched it was a 10, and there was no question about it.
  22. Feb 22, 2015
    It's a legendary game. It's my favorite game. Atmosphere of GTA3 will be always in my soul. Thank you Rockstar for created this masterpiece!

"Crime does pay!" (Claude)
  23. Mar 22, 2015
    The days before Grand Theft Auto became a world of sexual themes was certainly a good one even if I am now shaking my head at the amount of strong language featured here. The graphics here are a bit under par if I do say so myself but the gameplay itself is top notch. Grand Theft Auto III is quite simply put a fun romp through a huge city. It's incredibly innovate yet outlandish at theThe days before Grand Theft Auto became a world of sexual themes was certainly a good one even if I am now shaking my head at the amount of strong language featured here. The graphics here are a bit under par if I do say so myself but the gameplay itself is top notch. Grand Theft Auto III is quite simply put a fun romp through a huge city. It's incredibly innovate yet outlandish at the same time and that is what defines GTA. Expand

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]