8.5

1. H.H.Lee
    Mar 22, 2002
    Sure, this game ain't as pretty as other 'next-gen' titles, but anyone who has the brains to take gameplay into consideration, will definitely deem this game as one of the finest games ever made.
  2. Adder
    Jun 15, 2002
    It's a very bad game. When I started it, it worked very SLOW. It shocked. And it even went stock. So if there is someone who had the same problem, please HELP me with this so I can rate this very good game much higher!
  3. MikeyC.
    Jun 18, 2002
    So sweet!!!
  4. J.Bob
    Jun 25, 2002
    One word, AWESOME.
  5. CoolamIvan
    Jul 12, 2002
    It sucks how you have to wtach all the cutscenes each time you enter a new town (especially the long cutscene when you enter boggsville), and it is very linear. And i hate the blacksmith at the items store, he always buys things from you for 1/4 of what they are actually worth. plus it is very short, kinda like diablo but not as good at all. it gets sooo boring when it has to load each It sucks how you have to wtach all the cutscenes each time you enter a new town (especially the long cutscene when you enter boggsville), and it is very linear. And i hate the blacksmith at the items store, he always buys things from you for 1/4 of what they are actually worth. plus it is very short, kinda like diablo but not as good at all. it gets sooo boring when it has to load each battle for about 1 min. before actually fighting. stay away from this trash pile, stay far, far away. Expand
  6. JoshuaK.
    Jul 16, 2002
    Best game ever!
  7. BrandonH.
    Aug 11, 2002
    I have no freakin clue what cool am ivan is talking about. Since when is there a town in gta3 called boggsville, and since when does gta3 have battles in it? I'm pretty sure hes talking about godai: elemental force. Well, this game is great! It is a bit hard at times, but manageable. One thing i would like better in gta vice city is in car views, helicopters that stay in air longer I have no freakin clue what cool am ivan is talking about. Since when is there a town in gta3 called boggsville, and since when does gta3 have battles in it? I'm pretty sure hes talking about godai: elemental force. Well, this game is great! It is a bit hard at times, but manageable. One thing i would like better in gta vice city is in car views, helicopters that stay in air longer than 5 seconds, and better graphics. It would also be cool to go in bulidings. A better ending would be awesome too! Expand
  8. RyanM.
    Sep 21, 2002
    Could be the greatest game ever made, but if not, it's the best game for the PS2 and this decade.
  9. PhoebeR.
    Jun 21, 2003
    This game was ok. Ok so the gameplay and freedom is fantastic, but the graphics are SO PLAYSTATION ONE. Rockstar should maybe put a bit more effort into the graphics and make a better storyline with missions that arn't all the same!
  10. KevinW.
    Jun 23, 2003
    I love this movie. Its awesome.
  11. KevinS.
    Mar 13, 2004
    I love this game because it is fun and it's always somethin' to do.
  12. SeanB.
    Jul 15, 2004
    Dark, intriguing, addicting. Nice to play when youre having a bad day. Story is probably the best on any platform for any game ever in eternity- even though I thought it ended kind of abruptly.
  13. pierreb.
    Jun 11, 2005
    This game was not worth my money.
  14. KashiK.
    Oct 22, 2006
    This game sucks. Yeah, it's fun to "explore" the world but THE WORLD IS SMALL. It's interactive, detailed, and has alot of people to kill for no reason. Killing people gets fun for about 1-3 hours then you will TRY to get past the story. I was in shock on how lousy the story was. This game is recommended to people that are just stupid only. DO NOT GET THIS GAME!
  15. Mr.x
    Aug 29, 2006
    Bad art no original music and bad sound bad acting encurages savage behavior hmmm can I sue that they wasted my time? lol
  16. JoshuaK.
    Dec 14, 2001
    Best game ever!
  17. Shills
    Dec 26, 2001
    Everything you could have ever dreamed in a game - realism is unbelievable. A shame the attitude of people like Denny D. hinder games such as these being released.
  18. CoreyR.
    Dec 28, 2001
    This is one of the few games that is fun to watch other people play.
  19. WesG.
    Dec 29, 2001
    The Best game I have played yet! I have yet to play a game that conducts as much fun as this title. BUY THIS GAME! That's all there is to it. I would like to pat Rockstar and the other designers of this title on the back. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BOYS/GIRLS!!!
  20. GaborA.
    Nov 11, 2003
    The most overrated game of all time (besides Vice City). Elements of every game are adapted, but in the most pathetic and simplistic manner. Driving is boring, and racing impossible. Combat is like a pathetic platform game. If you want large environments play Tony Hawk where at least interesting play can be done in them.
  21. MatthieuR.
    Dec 16, 2004
    The greatest videogame ever made.
  22. TimG
    Dec 23, 2007
    Who cares about the controversy?!?!?! Get to grips DASHEL J its a game and probably the bet I've ever played on so stop whining!!!
  23. Apr 21, 2014
    The Best in the Grand Theft Auto Series gorgeous graphics good story line awesome controls great characters i think this is the Citizen Kane of gaming in my opinion i recommend playing this awesome game
  24. Aug 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Grand Theft Auto III is one of a kind. With a 3D and 2D Third Person View, epic artwork for the Heads Up Display and 3D models like no other in the time, Grand Theft Auto III has nailed the best Graphic Design I have ever seen that comes from the year it was made. Sure, there are other good designs like the Elder Scrolls at the time but the artwork on the box and in game makes me go "Holy f*ckin' ****

The gameplay has again, a 3D and 2D Third Person View, making this as view-customizable as Fallout. The free roam is quick but locked places can take time to UNlock the locations. Although there aren't many character customization options (-1), there is quite an array of weapons available to the player. Unlike San Andreas, it was a shame that the game had a garage without any modification options, making the vehicles barely customizable (-1).

However, I like the way when you kick someone, you actually get money unlike the nowadays Grand Theft Auto where it automatically drops out of the victim's wallet after being killed. Not to mention geting stacks of money only worth up to $50.

Grand Theft Auto III will always be one game withing my heart, even in this year of 2014.
  25. Dec 24, 2015
    Amazing game. Truly a revolutionary masterpiece. Anyone that doesn't like this game is on crack. So much variety, such a classic that helped shape games of this genre. Wether it's street racing or killing people, there is some thing for every one.
  26. Jan 12, 2016
    Almost same score than gta san andreas? ... This is pathetic cause is 100% more limited than the last gta of ps2.

You can't ride bisycles here, buy clothes, if you want to fly you cant take an airplane and fly the world you have to use glitchs in the game, you can't buy nothing apart of weapons, You cant increase your stats to run more time, not even go to a gym or eat, cant swim and much more things..

For the moment this game went on sale was very good but as best ps2 game of gta lacks too much.
  27. May 24, 2017
    this is an epic game but has not aged well from later grand theft auto games. but otherwise its got fun missions and a good world. it is a ps2 classic

#3 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Next Generation Magazine
    Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]