Grand Theft Auto III PlayStation 2

8.5

1. Apr 21, 2014
    The Best in the Grand Theft Auto Series gorgeous graphics good story line awesome controls great characters i think this is the Citizen Kane of gaming in my opinion i recommend playing this awesome game
  2. Nov 18, 2014
    THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME ! The only thing I complain about is the controls other than that this game is awesome ! It has cool graphics great gameplay and variety for weapons ! GET THIS GAME ON THE PSN
  3. Jul 16, 2014
    I love all the characters in this game, I love Claude, I love almost everything in this game. GTA V and GTA IV don't have that feeling I have with older GTA games. If you see this game on sale, GET IT!!! Steam can have my $3.74 for this game :)
  4. Aug 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Grand Theft Auto III is one of a kind. With a 3D and 2D Third Person View, epic artwork for the Heads Up Display and 3D models like no other in the time, Grand Theft Auto III has nailed the best Graphic Design I have ever seen that comes from the year it was made. Sure, there are other good designs like the Elder Scrolls at the time but the artwork on the box and in game makes me go "Holy f*ckin' ****

The gameplay has again, a 3D and 2D Third Person View, making this as view-customizable as Fallout. The free roam is quick but locked places can take time to UNlock the locations. Although there aren't many character customization options (-1), there is quite an array of weapons available to the player. Unlike San Andreas, it was a shame that the game had a garage without any modification options, making the vehicles barely customizable (-1).

However, I like the way when you kick someone, you actually get money unlike the nowadays Grand Theft Auto where it automatically drops out of the victim's wallet after being killed. Not to mention geting stacks of money only worth up to $50.

Grand Theft Auto III will always be one game withing my heart, even in this year of 2014.
  5. Oct 19, 2014
    Players are put at the heart of their very own gangster movie, and let loose in a fully-realised 3 dimensional city with a cast of hundreds, 50 plus vehicles, ranging from sports cars to ice cream trucks and from boats to buses, 3 hours of music, including opera, reggae, house, drum and bass, pop and disco, and a huge array of street ready weapons.
  6. May 17, 2015
    The voice acting is simply amazing. Unlike most video games, much of the voice acting is done by fairly famous names, including Joe Pantoliano, Michael Rapaport, Kyle MacLachlan.This is a remarkable achievement of proportions we never imagined possible. It has single-handedly changed the way we see all video game entertainment and the repercussions it should have for the industry are staggering
  7. Nov 2, 2014
    Revolutionized gaming as we know it. The world didn't know how ready it was for this game when it dropped all those years ago. I'm not sure it has aged well, but when this game launched it was a 10, and there was no question about it.
  8. Feb 22, 2015
    It's a legendary game. It's my favorite game. Atmosphere of GTA3 will be always in my soul. Thank you Rockstar for created this masterpiece!

"Crime does pay!" (Claude)
  9. Mar 22, 2015
    The days before Grand Theft Auto became a world of sexual themes was certainly a good one even if I am now shaking my head at the amount of strong language featured here. The graphics here are a bit under par if I do say so myself but the gameplay itself is top notch. Grand Theft Auto III is quite simply put a fun romp through a huge city. It's incredibly innovate yet outlandish at theThe days before Grand Theft Auto became a world of sexual themes was certainly a good one even if I am now shaking my head at the amount of strong language featured here. The graphics here are a bit under par if I do say so myself but the gameplay itself is top notch. Grand Theft Auto III is quite simply put a fun romp through a huge city. It's incredibly innovate yet outlandish at the same time and that is what defines GTA. Expand
  10. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If Someone Were To Play This Game, Having Played Grand Theft Auto IV And it's Subsequent Add-Ons You Would Definitely See! How Dated And Sloppy Some Areas Of Grand Theft Auto III Can Be. But At The Time Of It's Release, It Was An Absolute Landmark In Gaming. It Set The Standard For Open World Games As Know It And Introduced Gameplay Elements That Are Now Common Ground. It Can Be Hard To Appreciate This Game As Much As Expand
  11. Aug 8, 2015
    Very good! Game with great storyline, gameplay , story , graphics for that time , cars, weapons and all! Very much recommend this game ! I played as a child, always had difficulty in some missions until passed, but after battling ! That's because I was very bad at playing , was the first 3D game I played in my life , the graphics were simply sensational when I played for the first time !
  12. Aug 12, 2015
    The second best GTA of them all!
    The second best GTA of them all!
    Let me put one thing out there, this was not my first GTA game. My first was GTA 2 then 1 and then 3. Mentioning that is just to show that it is not nostalgia alone speaking when I say that the only GTA to beat this in my eyes was GTA V. Many people prefer San Andreas (and with good reason) however I felt that game was too clustered for its own good which made performance suffer greatly back in the day on consoles. This game has a great story in a dark realistic Liberty City with missions taking you to work with the mob, help out club owners or just create general mayhem! The graphics may not have aged well but they aren't painful to look at by any means and the game is still a joy to play. Especially with cheats.
  13. Sep 30, 2015
    When the game Grand Theft Auto (1997) came out on the original Playstation, it was an amazing game but with a top down view which I really didn't like. A few years later the amazing game Driver (1999) came out and I remember how impressed I was with that game's freedom to drive anywhere you want in the city in full 3D! Then came GTA III for the PS2, which combined the excellent gameplay ofWhen the game Grand Theft Auto (1997) came out on the original Playstation, it was an amazing game but with a top down view which I really didn't like. A few years later the amazing game Driver (1999) came out and I remember how impressed I was with that game's freedom to drive anywhere you want in the city in full 3D! Then came GTA III for the PS2, which combined the excellent gameplay of GTA with the 3D view of Driver.

The graphics and sound were great for that time. I loved the many radio channels in the car (opera music!).
    The camera position was sometimes annoying; I particularely didn't like how the view changed to first person view when you wanted to look around. The controls were decent but a lot of times i was shooting at another person than the one i intended to shoot.

The game has aged quite well and is still a lot of fun to play, but it was surpassed in every way by its successors GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas.

I didn't like the dark and gloomy colors of GTA III, it looked like it was dark and raining almost all the time. GTA Vice City threw the darkness out of the window and chose for bright colors. GTA San Andreas added the great multi-player option for two gamers on one screen, swimming, more vehicles and planes etc... but GTA III was the game that made the first step towards the title of best game series in the history of gaming.

For that reason I rate this game 8 out of 10.
  14. Dec 24, 2015
    Amazing game. Truly a revolutionary masterpiece. Anyone that doesn't like this game is on crack. So much variety, such a classic that helped shape games of this genre. Wether it's street racing or killing people, there is some thing for every one.
  15. Jan 12, 2016
    Almost same score than gta san andreas? ... This is pathetic cause is 100% more limited than the last gta of ps2.

You can't ride bisycles here, buy clothes, if you want to fly you cant take an airplane and fly the world you have to use glitchs in the game, you can't buy nothing apart of weapons, You cant increase your stats to run more time, not even go to a gym or eat, cant swim and much more things..

For the moment this game went on sale was very good but as best ps2 game of gta lacks too much.
  16. Apr 12, 2016
    For this game's fault i haven't touched videogames in 20 years, the characters are ugly, the driving sucks, the shooting sucks, the roaming sucks, this game is about nothing, thanks to this game, the industry it's in the sorry state it's in now.
  17. Mar 6, 2017
    GTA's first 3D venture turned out to be one the best games ever. This game blew my mind on christmas day 2001. Endless hours spent playing this game make it a must play game.
  18. May 13, 2016
    Самая значимая игра в серии и одна из самых значимых вообще в игровой индустрии. Одна из первых игр, которая продвинула PS2. Первая 3D-игра в серии. Незамысловатый простой сюжет, где грабителя по имени Клод, предала Каталина. Естественно главный герой хочет отомстить. Этого он и пытается добиться в течении всей игры. Ему придется стать водителем, наёмником, убийцей. Он всё сделает радиСамая значимая игра в серии и одна из самых значимых вообще в игровой индустрии. Одна из первых игр, которая продвинула PS2. Первая 3D-игра в серии. Незамысловатый простой сюжет, где грабителя по имени Клод, предала Каталина. Естественно главный герой хочет отомстить. Этого он и пытается добиться в течении всей игры. Ему придется стать водителем, наёмником, убийцей. Он всё сделает ради денег. Геймплей тоже порадовал. Теперь это открытый мир без коридора, где можешь делать всё что захочешь. Графика на PS2-версии устарела, но всё равно ту мрачную атмосферу не передать словами. Абсолютно 10/10. Expand
  19. May 21, 2016
    GTA 3 is a terrible game. Compared to any of the other 3D GTA games, this is by far the worst. I get that it is one of the pioneers, but that doesn't change any of my criticisms for the game. The main character doesn't even talk, he just follows orders from whoever tells him what to do. The driving experience is poor as well. Cars take damage far too easily, and when a car flips over, itGTA 3 is a terrible game. Compared to any of the other 3D GTA games, this is by far the worst. I get that it is one of the pioneers, but that doesn't change any of my criticisms for the game. The main character doesn't even talk, he just follows orders from whoever tells him what to do. The driving experience is poor as well. Cars take damage far too easily, and when a car flips over, it explodes. You can't even swim in this game! The controls are a mess, and by far the worst aspect of the game is the gun controls. You can't even freely aim your gun! The main character just holds it at is waist and it looks like he is fapping instead of shooting a gun. Overall this is a horrible game. Play Vice City or Liberty City Stories instead. Expand
  20. Jul 5, 2016
    Sorry, but I didn't like this game so much. Yeah, I am not an oldschool gamer who tried this title firstly 10 years ago. My first playtime was approximately 3 years ago and that time I didn't enjoy GTA III. After that, I finally completed the storyline and still didn't enjoy the game. I have to admit that this GTA was one of the worst I have played. Seriously, I was not into GTA III.Sorry, but I didn't like this game so much. Yeah, I am not an oldschool gamer who tried this title firstly 10 years ago. My first playtime was approximately 3 years ago and that time I didn't enjoy GTA III. After that, I finally completed the storyline and still didn't enjoy the game. I have to admit that this GTA was one of the worst I have played. Seriously, I was not into GTA III. Sorry, it's just my opinion. It is not interesting as GTA SA is. Expand
  21. Nov 10, 2016
    Really like the story line. I mean you play a mute who needs to get through life in Liberty City. Sometimes it is just plain fun to just screw around. 10/10
  22. Nov 13, 2016
    GTA III... a great single player experience. The game play is good. There are plenty of missions in this game and all are very well made and fast paced. But there are are numerous glitches in the game. The story is well balanced. About the graphics... They are good for 2001. But sometimes the game lacks depth.
    Overall a great open world game with significant amount of features and also
    Overall a great open world game with significant amount of features and also have some down points too.
  23. Jan 26, 2017
    Out of this world!One of the game that you must play before you die!A game that shock us again since Doom!It Almost the best PS2 game.But after you beat the game(complete 100%)you will feel bored.
  24. Jul 24, 2017
    An amazing and fun game. Crazy to think that it's from 2001. But it is from 2001, so it clearly has some issues. Some features aren't added until later features like the gun stores aren't on the mini map, and, there is no full map. You can't see the whole map and pinpoint where certain locations are, among some other things. A lot will just say "hey man lay off it's an old game, but oldAn amazing and fun game. Crazy to think that it's from 2001. But it is from 2001, so it clearly has some issues. Some features aren't added until later features like the gun stores aren't on the mini map, and, there is no full map. You can't see the whole map and pinpoint where certain locations are, among some other things. A lot will just say "hey man lay off it's an old game, but old games should still be judged based on how they hold up today. I still really like the game though, I recommend it. Expand
  25. Jul 10, 2017
    The game that MADE Rockstar into what they are today. It created the fantastic open world RPG gameplay that is so iconic and revolutionary.

The graphics and environment looked so mesmerizing back in 2001 but wow they didn't age well. I loved the radio stations Flashback 98.3 and Game FM. The rest weren't so great. The sound was pretty good. The gameplay needs no description. It's perfect. The story was fantastic. I did like Claude. He was strange yet captivating because he was silent.

I think the vehicle missions are very difficult but I do like the hidden packages, stunt jumps and rampages.

A classic which paved the way for even better games up to GTA 5.
  26. May 24, 2017
    this is an epic game but has not aged well from later grand theft auto games. but otherwise its got fun missions and a good world. it is a ps2 classic
  27. Aug 9, 2017
    After 16 years after the release of this game, it is still valekolepna and interesting as ever and GTA III not need in the view. This game is a legend and everyone should know about it
  28. Dec 14, 2011
    When i heard this was coming out for the PS2, i turned my nose up at it. I wasn't a GTA fan i hated the birds-eye view. After a few months of my cousin pestering me to get it off my friend, i did. I tell you now i loved it, i have NEVER EVER played a game where its ok to cruise, listen to music and kill people. This game was brilliant. The maps were huge, the missions vaired. The rise fromWhen i heard this was coming out for the PS2, i turned my nose up at it. I wasn't a GTA fan i hated the birds-eye view. After a few months of my cousin pestering me to get it off my friend, i did. I tell you now i loved it, i have NEVER EVER played a game where its ok to cruise, listen to music and kill people. This game was brilliant. The maps were huge, the missions vaired. The rise from a street punk to a top gangster was just pure brilliance. Collapse

#3 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Next Generation Magazine
    Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]