8.5

1. Jan 1, 2012
    If someone were to play this game, having played GTAIV and its subsequent add-ons, you would definitely see how dated and sloppy some areas of GTAIII can be. But at the time of its release, it was an absolute landmark in gaming. It set the standard for open world games as know it and introduced game-play elements that are now common ground. It can be hard to appreciate this game as much asIf someone were to play this game, having played GTAIV and its subsequent add-ons, you would definitely see how dated and sloppy some areas of GTAIII can be. But at the time of its release, it was an absolute landmark in gaming. It set the standard for open world games as know it and introduced game-play elements that are now common ground. It can be hard to appreciate this game as much as it should be appreciated, considering it is definitely outdated nowadays, but respect is still deserved for one of the greatest games ever made. Bring on GTA5! Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    play this absolutely epic truly the greatest playstation 2 game ohnestly endless fun great atmosphre. fun missions and for its time good graphics. if i had to complain it would be the character models a bit fuzzy
  3. Elmo
    Feb 2, 2002
    The game made me laugh, a lot. It's so real. It feels great and plays well. It's the little things that count and GTA3 has loads. Waiting for trains, fights between gangs, headlights in the rain, the more you make the guy run the fitter he gets. It's thing like this that make games, GTA3 is packed full of fun gore and other things your mum hates!
  4. Dennis
    Jan 10, 2002
    This game totally exceeded my expectations for playability, it never gets boring to me.
  5. AnthonyT.
    Jan 5, 2002
    Three Words - Best Game Ever. Denny D. should realize that sex and violence go together.
  6. KyleK.
    Dec 3, 2003
    This an awesome game because you can kill anyone you want drive anywhere but can't fly.This has very good missions good graphics but not as good as vice city though i gave it a 10. That's how good it is.
  7. RichieW.
    Jan 2, 2002
    Best game ever good graphics and I love the killing.
  8. BobB.
    Dec 16, 2002
    This IS quite possibly the best game on the PS2 to this date, it has unlimited freedom (almost), and its lifespan is everlasting, any time you dont know what to do you'll end up playing with this game for hours on end. It is also good for a quick shoot out when you're busy. It has a good storyline, the plot flows well, its is enormous, and above all FUN.
  9. TenzinR
    Aug 15, 2009
    One of the best game ever! Brought meaning to the term sandbox game, it didnt invent it but it perfected it. The reason I bought my ps2 plain and simple
  10. RyanM.
    Sep 21, 2002
    Could be the greatest game ever made, but if not, it's the best game for the PS2 and this decade.
  11. JoshuaK.
    Dec 14, 2001
    Best game ever!
  12. Aug 22, 2010
    Too all those people who are calling the game bad: Sure, everything about GTA III is dated. The graphics are horrible by todays standard. The AI is, too. But when GTA III first came out, it was revolutionary. It's still a great game, and fun just to run around the city and get a six star wanted level. It's still a very good game, by 2001's standards.
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    **** yeah, **** I played this when I was six and I swear to god, I saw Jesus. Maybe not literally but I saw what video games could be. I saw what every gamer should see. It's amazing.
  14. Dec 16, 2010
    Grand Theft Auto III was the revolutionary video game in 2001, but now some people say this game is dog &$#@, but not really!The 18 content is not really 18!The violence is not extreme and no sex!But Foul language is WTF.The action blazes,but with some small bugs!This review is short and this game isn't perfection like Super Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time!Those are perfect!
  15. Apr 7, 2011
    One of the very first games I ever played. I can remember many a weekend playing this game endlessly. It was fun, the cars were cool, the missions were rewarding and it had one of the most important devices in any GTA game; the idea of being able to go wherever you want, when you want and do what you want. Whether I was blasting pedestrians with a shotgun, doing an insane stunt or beingOne of the very first games I ever played. I can remember many a weekend playing this game endlessly. It was fun, the cars were cool, the missions were rewarding and it had one of the most important devices in any GTA game; the idea of being able to go wherever you want, when you want and do what you want. Whether I was blasting pedestrians with a shotgun, doing an insane stunt or being chased by the police, this game always had a special place in my heart. Only drawback was that even for 2001, the graphics looked primitive. But apart from that, the best GTA on the PS2. Expand
  16. Nov 7, 2011
    This is an infinitely replayable game that has so much to do. You are crazy if you don't like this game. It is so fun because you can do anything in this game, whether it is free roaming the Liberty City streets or playing the missions.
  17. Dec 14, 2011
    When i heard this was coming out for the PS2, i turned my nose up at it. I wasn't a GTA fan i hated the birds-eye view. After a few months of my cousin pestering me to get it off my friend, i did. I tell you now i loved it, i have NEVER EVER played a game where its ok to cruise, listen to music and kill people. This game was brilliant. The maps were huge, the missions vaired. The rise fromWhen i heard this was coming out for the PS2, i turned my nose up at it. I wasn't a GTA fan i hated the birds-eye view. After a few months of my cousin pestering me to get it off my friend, i did. I tell you now i loved it, i have NEVER EVER played a game where its ok to cruise, listen to music and kill people. This game was brilliant. The maps were huge, the missions vaired. The rise from a street punk to a top gangster was just pure brilliance. Expand
  18. Aug 22, 2012
    Clearly one of the best games ever made. This game is one of the greatest games ever created. Story is great and the main character's silent is nice too, Graphics are overall nice. Gameplay became the basis for every GTA game followed.
    Every person who will rank this game lower than 9 - he/she can go f*** himself/herself.
  19. GeoffC.
    Sep 9, 2002
    I was reading this section, when someone named"Cool Am Ivan" gave this a 3. What game is he talking about? Boggsville? Blacksmiths in Grand Theft Auto 3? Is he on something? You know, this "person" is very stupid to put a review on the wrong game. Anyway, I thought the game was great. so don't listen to that loser!!!
  20. DarrylC.
    Jul 2, 2003
    Great game the best game i have ever bought and i have 75 of them. No matter how many times you play it you just want more.
  21. Mar 27, 2012
    GTA III is a classic , Rockstar's creativity to make an open-world/sandbox game at that time was innovative. You can send hours goofing on the streets killing,destroying or crashing cars , set with an interesting story that will not be forgotten for those that payed attention. GTA III delivers enough to satisfy last generation and current/future generation alike.
  22. RanceM.
    Dec 13, 2001
    I would have rated it a 100 but could not. This game is the shiznittlebombbangdiggity.
  23. IanT.
    Jan 18, 2002
    Best console game ever. Almost unbelievably huge. Sure it's violent. Sure you can randomly set people on fire and watch them stagger and then fall and burn up. Exactly!
  24. Jason
    Feb 2, 2002
    Da best damn game ever made. Period.
  25. ScottE.II
    Jan 3, 2002
    I have played GTA1 and GTA2, and they say 3rd time's a charm and I think it's true with Grand Theft Auto 3, everything you could do in 1 and 2, but so much more and in glorious 3D! This game is the most addictive game I've ever played. I'll play one mission and just want to keep going and going, it never gets boring - the replay value is endless! GTA3 is Game of the DECADE!
  26. MaCHOC
    Jan 6, 2002
    I give this game a 10 only because you can't key in 1,000,000,000,000! Graphic, Control, Music, Story, Characters, Whips everything, gets a 10... Denny D....Go look for a Pokemon Game! You don't want Sex and Profanity!! The title is GRAND THEFT AUTO III why wouldn't you think it would have sex and cursing? Your in the hood! "If you've never been to the ghetto I give this game a 10 only because you can't key in 1,000,000,000,000! Graphic, Control, Music, Story, Characters, Whips everything, gets a 10... Denny D....Go look for a Pokemon Game! You don't want Sex and Profanity!! The title is GRAND THEFT AUTO III why wouldn't you think it would have sex and cursing? Your in the hood! "If you've never been to the ghetto don't ever come to the ghetto! Cause you wouldn't understand the ghetto, so stay the f*ck out of the ghetto!"~ Naughty By Nature... Who's mother is he? And how'd he find out about this site? Expand
  27. ChrisP.
    Jan 7, 2002
    Great game, with some of the best graphics on the PS2 but what it realy needs is a mutiplayer mode that would make this game one of the greats. Also you could make use of the Playstation 2's modem.
  28. AndreaA.
    Jan 9, 2002
    No need to become a mafioso. Just play GTA3. Great. I have to steal a Sentinel, have you seen one somewhere?
  29. GuyH.
    Feb 16, 2002
    Prefecto....I love it now if only I could save to buy a PS2 and stop going to my friends house to play it. I'd really give it a 20 but you guys restrict me to 10.
  30. BallyC.
    Feb 19, 2002
    Prostitution gave this game a cut above the rest!
  31. BrianB.
    Feb 4, 2002
    I wish there was a higher # on the rating scale for this game cuz it is awesome. The one thing my friend and I didn't like was the ending, it was pretty dull. But other than that it was sheer brilliance, perfecto.
  32. KaganD.
    Feb 5, 2002
    This game is great! You have such a freedom where you cannot find it anywhere else. The reason for giving 9 out of 10 are the graphics. I still believe that the graphics could be improved. Nevermind, enjoy the story and the radio.
  33. RobD.
    Feb 9, 2002
    Really coool but should be able to go in buildings and banks.
  34. DamenE.
    Mar 11, 2002
    If I could rate 100, I would. Unlike any other, this game is so real that I can't begin to explain. Try it.
  35. DavidH.
    Mar 30, 2002
    This game has an incredible range of motors, great graphics.
  36. PersonIforget.
    Apr 9, 2002
    This is the best game ever made. Beating the crap out of people. Blowing their brains away. Robbing cars. I mean it can't get any better, and for the people who rated this game, bad. If you don't like the sex and all that stuff. Then just dont play it. Duhhh. All in all this is the best game ever. Cant wait till it comes out on pc. I love this game, and the weird thing is,This is the best game ever made. Beating the crap out of people. Blowing their brains away. Robbing cars. I mean it can't get any better, and for the people who rated this game, bad. If you don't like the sex and all that stuff. Then just dont play it. Duhhh. All in all this is the best game ever. Cant wait till it comes out on pc. I love this game, and the weird thing is, I've never played it. Expand
  37. Kevin
    Jul 2, 2002
    This may just be the best PS2 game ever!
  38. AnonymousMC
    Jul 9, 2002
    Denny D you're a moron - of course its got foul language/sexual content thats why its rated 18. Its not for kids - its a fantastic game encompasses the darker side of our streets. A must buy for anyone (of a certain age and above) who owns a PS2
  39. TylerF.
    Jan 3, 2003
    This game rules. It's graphics are awesome and anyone who hates this game is a mental nutcase or a girly little fifi.
  40. chuck76
    May 12, 2003
    Oooh 0 out of 10 how clever you are. Every video game is pointless you could be out saving whales or preventing rain forests from being cut down, but I imagine if you've got time to go on-line and give hokey scores for a game then you probably don't do that either. Still how funny is it that even with your false scores and plenty of others I'm sure the game still scores so highly.
  41. JonathanF.
    Jul 1, 2003
    This is no doubt the best game in the world. S.T., Jone B. and Someguy, I think you must be looking at the code, not the game.
  42. JohnB.
    Jan 1, 2006
    This game revolutionized gaming in a way few games did. It enabled an environment where you were free to roam and do ANYTHING you want! Not only that, but its sequels didn't ruin a thing, Vice City and San Andreas were great games. May this franchise last forever and developers, stop trying to make cheap ripoffs like The Getaway and True Crime Streets of LA. You will never compare to This game revolutionized gaming in a way few games did. It enabled an environment where you were free to roam and do ANYTHING you want! Not only that, but its sequels didn't ruin a thing, Vice City and San Andreas were great games. May this franchise last forever and developers, stop trying to make cheap ripoffs like The Getaway and True Crime Streets of LA. You will never compare to Grand Theft Auto. Expand
  43. JavierF.
    Aug 10, 2006
    The game is cool because it has a lot of violence and i like to kill people in the game and that is the best game ever.
  44. KeithB.
    Nov 3, 2001
    I've played the first two and they are very good but GTA 3 is 10 times better than it's forefathers. And whoever is a first time Ps2 player/buyer should definitely get this game!!
  45. EricC.
    Dec 1, 2001
    If I could have rated it at a one hundred I would have. This game is absolutely awesome!!!
  46. Eric
    Oct 31, 2001
    It is the best game, and it is so real.
  47. SalM.
    Jan 11, 2002
    This is a great game. Best I have ever seen. Just a piece of advise to Dallas D. After each mission save your game. That way when you die or get busted you can just reload and still be up to the same mission. And you also get to keep your weapons.
  48. StephenM.
    Jan 11, 2002
    This game is the reason I bought PS2!!! The graphics are great and it is hard to put down.
  49. J.Palm
    Nov 9, 2002
    This is a good game but the new GTA, GTA:Vice City is better.
  50. ryane.
    Jan 3, 2002
    Fun game.
  51. GiancarloS.
    Jan 31, 2002
    Refreshing blow up your mind fun, you can virtually do anything...the Best game ever...GTAIII got everything cars, weapons, gore, sex, drugs and rock and roll.
  52. FabianR.
    Jan 6, 2002
    I think its the best game Ive ever seen !!!! The graphics are excellent, the sounds and the music too... there are so many details!!!! its a PERFECT GAME!!!!
  53. JimmyQ.
    Jan 9, 2002
    It's the best game i've played in a long time!...I can play it for hours and hours its sooooo addictive!...Denny D. You dont know anything about games!!
  54. NivYaayi
    Feb 1, 2002
    Great, just great.
  55. THCCannibal
    Feb 2, 2002
    Chunkier than cottage cheese!
  56. TimA.
    Feb 22, 2002
    This is the greatest game to have ever hit the market! I don't even leave my house anymore, I've beaten it 3 times but I still love playing it. There are only 2 things I dont like about GTA 3: The ending and the fact that you can't go into buildings, but it still is awesome!
  57. Jani
    Feb 6, 2002
    The freedom is unlike anything I have ever felt. U can almost do anything u like. A great game.
  58. ChrisR.
    Mar 23, 2002
    This game must be the best game ever created for the ps2 !!! wooooo!
  59. Alex
    Mar 30, 2002
    It allows people to see the life on the bad side instead of always being the good side. It takes game players to the joys of being a little bad like no other game has.
  60. ChrisG.
    Apr 10, 2002
    I like it because it has good graphics and fun missions.
  61. RobertS.
    May 11, 2002
    Best game i ever played.....period.
  62. LilW.
    May 5, 2002
    The game is cooooooool!! If u diss it i will set my pogo the monkey on u. If ur wondering whether to buy it cos ur stupid, i have one thing to say. TANK!! NOW GO BUY!!! By the way, I flew for over 60 secs in the Dido, YEAH!
  63. KevinA.
    Jun 2, 2002
    This game is the coolest! With the many missions and not a sign of draw-in, this is the best PS2 game ever.
  64. AlexW.
    Jun 23, 2002
    The best game I have seen in a long time! It has great graphics, sound, and great gameplay. If you have not played this game go and play it! Everybody, who's anybody must play this game!!! :-)
  65. Enthasius
    Jul 9, 2002
    This game deserves nothing......but the highest of praise! Truly, THIS is the stuff that games can be if the creators just buckle down, and focus on the important issues of the game at hand. Some say the graphics are grey, and dull...but thats the way the city is isn't it? Walk into any city centre, its grey. This is just proof of its gritty, dark nature. Superb stuff.
  66. AndyG.
    Aug 3, 2002
    THE BEST.
  67. ScottS.
    Aug 7, 2002
    This game is really cool!
  68. AgassiV.
    Oct 23, 2003
    This game is cool and fantastic to play and when you go and play you can't stop playing this cool game.
  69. J.R.
    Apr 4, 2003
    Easily the most fun game I have ever played and I've been playing video games since pong. Easy to pick up and play, fun to explore, even fun when you fail.
  70. Chuck76
    Apr 6, 2003
    Probably my favourite game of all time! Pick up and play, go on a mission or just murder people(if you want to, you sicko!). Can't be touched in my eyes.
  71. ShaunR.
    Jul 5, 2003
    A real good game with excelent gameplay and great characters.
  72. MarkusL.
    Dec 13, 2004
    Great Game. A big upgrade from GTA 2. Its the first game I could beat on my own. Its a must have.
  73. JustinM.
    Mar 15, 2004
    Big game, lots of replay value, a must have.
  74. JordanT.
    Jun 1, 2005
    This game is pretty easy. I beat the game 3 times. But low difficulty games doesn't give much exitement. But think about. You won't have to cus with stress and anger.
  75. ryane.
    Sep 2, 2005
    Fun game.
  76. JennyW.
    Mar 22, 2006
    It's fun cause you can't spell slaughter with out laughter!
  77. JoshV.
    Apr 9, 2006
    1st of all i read some of the ratings for this game and i was suprised. this game set a standard for gaming and you cant get mad if you was broke and couldnt get the game when it first came out and got it like a year ago when vice city and and san andreas came out. if you get it that late you shouldnt expect it to be the best game in the world. you should probably get it just to see what 1st of all i read some of the ratings for this game and i was suprised. this game set a standard for gaming and you cant get mad if you was broke and couldnt get the game when it first came out and got it like a year ago when vice city and and san andreas came out. if you get it that late you shouldnt expect it to be the best game in the world. you should probably get it just to see what the storyline is so you wont get confused in san andreas. if you just want a good game just get san andreas.Peace Expand
  78. CharlieG.
    Jun 6, 2006
    I beg you, if you have played Vice City and/or San Andreas do not play this game because you will think less of it, although it is a masterpiece.
  79. AkeemG.
    Apr 3, 2007
    Out of all the grand theft auto games that have been made this one has the best atmosphere. Staunton, Portland, and Shoreside Vale are still the best places to be out of all of the grand theft auto games.Another couple of things that makes this the best grand theft auto is the fast paced action that goes on when you decide to go beserk on the cops.The cops in this game are more ruthless Out of all the grand theft auto games that have been made this one has the best atmosphere. Staunton, Portland, and Shoreside Vale are still the best places to be out of all of the grand theft auto games.Another couple of things that makes this the best grand theft auto is the fast paced action that goes on when you decide to go beserk on the cops.The cops in this game are more ruthless than any other cops in any other grand theft auto game, hearing them yell stuff like GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW!! at you all the time really makes you excited.Plain and simply said,this is the most fun grand theft auto game around,I just wish that there wre some hunter helicopters and army Jets to fly though. Collapse
  80. JohnnyV
    Jun 24, 2009
    a masterpiece. endless replay value, a great story, amazing audio, nice graphics, and a lot of style.
  81. DesmondLo
    Jun 27, 2009
    Most best action-adventure in Sixth generation era. I don't care about controversy.
  82. AaronJ.
    Dec 12, 2001
    This game has everything. Reminds me of the Die Hard trilogy.
  83. Justin
    Dec 20, 2001
    This game is awesome! Great hookers.
  84. EricD.
    Dec 29, 2001
    Best game on the market. IT has everything: hookers, gangs, guns, and of course CARS.
  85. SamuL.
    Oct 31, 2001
    Can't give 10 because there's always a place for improvement. Most perfect game I've ever played.
  86. EmmanuelE.
    Jan 11, 2002
    I agree with all of you. This game is Amazing. The environment of it is very good, the variety, freedom and longevity of it are the best. However, just two things that could be better: the graphics are great, but they also could be better (but with so much going on in the game, it's understandable), and the usage of some weapons is sometime tricky (it needs a some time to get use to I agree with all of you. This game is Amazing. The environment of it is very good, the variety, freedom and longevity of it are the best. However, just two things that could be better: the graphics are great, but they also could be better (but with so much going on in the game, it's understandable), and the usage of some weapons is sometime tricky (it needs a some time to get use to it) mainly when you have to target... I you'll be great also if you could load somehow new cities, missions, cars. And ultimately, what would be really really wonderfull, would be to be able to play it with other players, through the Internet or something... Best game I've played with my PS2. Expand
  87. MikeK.
    Jan 1, 2002
    This game makes me pitch a tent.
  88. ChrisO'D.
    Jan 12, 2002
    I think this is the best game available on the video game market right now!!! I mean there is so much to do it's unreal!!! You can be a nice guy and not kill anyone or you can be like me and have your bodycount jus topping a thousand!!! This game is a definite must have!!!
  89. MarkD.
    Jan 22, 2002
    The Best Video Game I've ever played by far. Through Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Game Cube, Playstation , and P2... Nothing compares to it. This is the coolest dam game around. Anyone who gives it bad reviews is to much of a fruit cake to realize otherwise. Down with Next Gen Magazine, who gave it a shitty review. Probably had two losers review it. AGAIN THE COOLEST. CRAZIEST. The Best Video Game I've ever played by far. Through Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Game Cube, Playstation , and P2... Nothing compares to it. This is the coolest dam game around. Anyone who gives it bad reviews is to much of a fruit cake to realize otherwise. Down with Next Gen Magazine, who gave it a shitty review. Probably had two losers review it. AGAIN THE COOLEST. CRAZIEST. BEST GAME OUT THERE TODAY! Expand
  90. DavidW.
    Jan 28, 2002
    This is the single most pure gaming experience available, you can do almost any thing you want in a large expansive city, you can "get away with murder" or you can climb in a tank an go on a low speed but highly amusing chase around a city with all sorts still going on around. Such as pimpers pimpin hustlers hustlin and hookers er... Hoakin? anyway put simply GTA3 = BEST GAME EVER.
  91. DanielD.
    Jan 4, 2002
    Excellent. Denny D. hasn't got a clue. Very Funny.
  92. DallasD.
    Jan 5, 2002
    Game is unbelievable!!! Worth every penny. Graphics and sound are of high quality. This games is exciting and very realistic. One of the nicest things about this game is when the user is busted by the police or Wasted (killed), you do not lose you missions that were prior accomplished, only your weapons. One of the better games I have come accross in a very long time.
  93. Alan
    Oct 8, 2002
    The best game ever made!!!!! Waiting for the next one to come out!!!
  94. Gary
    Feb 12, 2002
    Just so cool game, period.
  95. PhillipR.
    Feb 15, 2002
    This game is just Brilliant. Cannot stop playing it.
  96. BenK.
    Feb 18, 2002
    Bugger me sideways!! This game kicks arse.
  97. B-Murder
    Feb 22, 2002
    Jonas W. is a complete moron to think this game is dull. This is by far the best game for action and replay value. Short of going outside and killing people yourself, Rockstar Games has pulled this one off perfectly!
  98. BradL.
    Feb 22, 2002
    This is the greatest game ever, I play it until my eyes get strained and boggy, then take a 10 minute break!
  99. TylerW.
    Feb 24, 2002
    HOLY CRAP!!!
  100. PsychoMantis
    Mar 11, 2002
    A greeeaaat game, lotsa replay value in this title, very nice "radio stations" you can select while in a vehicle, one minor gripe though, the graphics could be better, but considering the scale and fun of this title it's very easily forgiven A+!!!!

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]