• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Jan 28, 2002
  • Also On: PC
8.5

1. May 18, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG games I've played. Without giving away too much, you go around destroying different parts of an evil god. He needs to absorb all of these pieces to become whole again. Where the game really shines is the battle system. Your characters and enemies are constantly moving around, though the game pauses to give you a chance to give commands to your characters. Depending on how far away a character is from an enemy depends on how long it will take to attack them. You can use "critical" attacks to cancel out an enemy's move if timed carefully.

You should know this is a Dreamcast port, so the graphics are Dreamcast era. This is one of those games that would have been better by not using 3-D real-time graphics. However, the characters are animated well, doing everything from scooting out of bed to going into an angry pose while speaking.

For people that like to read, the characters consistently have outrageous and funny puns to say. An alter ego of one of the characters flirts with the main character, who likes to think of himself as a tough guy, but he eventually softens up. The dialogue reminds me of that written for Disgaea.

It would be unfair of me to rate the game lower because of the technical flaws, but it's way TOO noticeable. The graphics clip in and out constantly, there's MASSIVE slowdowns within towns and a few dungeons. Fog and reflection effects double the slowdown. There's even glitches that affect the menus and text sometimes, but they are not deal breakers. Gold coins that appear after defeating enemies turn black half of the time. To be fair, the game never froze once. I give this game a 10 despite its technical flaws, which I feel shouldn't detract from the game. It's definitely worth trying, but pickup the Dreamcast version if you can.
  2. May 2, 2013
    I loved this game, I couldn't put it down once the story picked up. The characters, battle system and story really held my attention and made this a game I played constantly, I'm looking forward to picking up more in the Grandia series someday.

1. Inexplicably horrible graphics completely ruin an otherwise splendid title. [Feb 2002, p.156]
  2. An above average RPG when released on the lesser Dreamcast system, on the PS2 it is merely average.
  3. Grandia II may not look like much from a technical standpoint--disappointingly, the game actually looks a bit worse than the original Dreamcast version--but its visual design is well done.