Grandia II PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Jan 28, 2002
  • Also On: PC
8.6

1. Jan 9, 2016
    Very good battle system, interesting plot, charming characters.
    The difficulty level maybe is a little low.
    I enjoyed this game and recommend it to people who likes RPG games.
  2. May 2, 2013
    I loved this game, I couldn't put it down once the story picked up. The characters, battle system and story really held my attention and made this a game I played constantly, I'm looking forward to picking up more in the Grandia series someday.
  3. Mar 15, 2013
    An absolutely charming JRPG and a fine example of its genre. This game could not be any more JRPG if it tried. Great and memorable plot that is really clever. Charming characters. Fun and innovative combat. I totally enjoyed this game and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for the JRPG experience.
  4. Jul 25, 2012
    I would have given this game a 10 if not for the sloppy PSX port. The game is choppy and load times are excruciating. This is the best battle system in the history of RPG's. The story was great and was in my opinion was ripped off for the storyline of FFX, some of the characters were ripped off as well. This game is hard, but maybe not worth playing on the PSX if your an impatient person.
  5. May 18, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG games I've played. Without giving away too much, you go around destroying different parts of an evil god. He needs to absorb all of these pieces to become whole again. Where the game really shines is the battle system. Your characters and enemies are constantly moving around, though the game pauses to give you a chance to give commands to your characters.This is one of the best RPG games I've played. Without giving away too much, you go around destroying different parts of an evil god. He needs to absorb all of these pieces to become whole again. Where the game really shines is the battle system. Your characters and enemies are constantly moving around, though the game pauses to give you a chance to give commands to your characters. Depending on how far away a character is from an enemy depends on how long it will take to attack them. You can use "critical" attacks to cancel out an enemy's move if timed carefully.

You should know this is a Dreamcast port, so the graphics are Dreamcast era. This is one of those games that would have been better by not using 3-D real-time graphics. However, the characters are animated well, doing everything from scooting out of bed to going into an angry pose while speaking.

For people that like to read, the characters consistently have outrageous and funny puns to say. An alter ego of one of the characters flirts with the main character, who likes to think of himself as a tough guy, but he eventually softens up. The dialogue reminds me of that written for Disgaea.

It would be unfair of me to rate the game lower because of the technical flaws, but it's way TOO noticeable. The graphics clip in and out constantly, there's MASSIVE slowdowns within towns and a few dungeons. Fog and reflection effects double the slowdown. There's even glitches that affect the menus and text sometimes, but they are not deal breakers. Gold coins that appear after defeating enemies turn black half of the time. To be fair, the game never froze once. I give this game a 10 despite its technical flaws, which I feel shouldn't detract from the game. It's definitely worth trying, but pickup the Dreamcast version if you can.
  6. Thebest
    Nov 16, 2006
    As a RPG Grandia is as good in the battles as they get. FF battles feel boring and slow after this masterpiece. The story keeps you on track, and brings up many suprises. The end games big pile of bosses are too easy to beat, but whoever you look at it, the battles are so amazing, the all not-so-good parts are forgotten and hidden under the chair.
  7. CloudStrife
    Apr 10, 2005
    I really like the game even if the graphic are not that good. But when we play a RPG we leave the graphics to be the last one. The game has a Very good story. one of the best i can say but i believe that the Dreamcast version is much better than PS2. PS2 machine is just another slowdown invention by SONY! i cant wait now for Grandia 3!!!! :D
  8. NatashaB.
    Oct 7, 2004
    I loved it it has a fantastic story and the characters were awsome.
  9. JasonC.
    Mar 19, 2003
    This has to be the worst RPG I have yet to play. Predictable in almost every respect and ugly too. With the exception of the Boss creatures all fights could be switched to auto which turned the whole game into a bad cartoon with minimal interactivity. Only play this if you've never played any other RPG and can't get hold of one.
  10. HitomiK.
    Jul 23, 2002
    Even though the graphics were quite poor, the storyline and the battles make up for it and it is the only game where i like the love scenes. Also the fights between ryudo and skye really cheer me up.
  11. Enthasius
    Jul 9, 2002
    Any reviewer who rates an Rpg by graphics alone isn't doing justice. Grandia II rocks, no question. People got by without graphics on Rpgs since they have been about, the importrant thing it that it plays well, and it has an interesting story.
  12. SolidSnake
    May 2, 2002
    Don't listen to the "it doesn't have good graphics" bullsh.t. This is an outstanding rpg, that every fan of the genre should play. The story is so compelling and the battle system is so great, you won't care that it doesn't have "good graphics."
  13. TomJ.
    Mar 21, 2002
    A masterpiece of an RPG!
  14. GreenDay
    Feb 23, 2002
    Innovative battle system, vivid colors, and good voice acting.
  15. MarkH.
    Feb 2, 2002
    The game on dreamcast was an all-time-hit...this time the messiah returns with blunty graphics and disgusting lookin' backgrounds..if you can overcome that, then you're left with a sturdy and excellent (and must important fact: FUN!) Rpg.
  16. Jul 25, 2012

#53 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#49 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

1. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Inexplicably horrible graphics completely ruin an otherwise splendid title. [Feb 2002, p.156]
  2. An above average RPG when released on the lesser Dreamcast system, on the PS2 it is merely average.
  3. Grandia II may not look like much from a technical standpoint--disappointingly, the game actually looks a bit worse than the original Dreamcast version--but its visual design is well done.