8.3

1. PeterThompson
    Jul 20, 2009
    A lot of fun. Once you get into it, it can take up a lot of your time with missions, powering up the character, learning the different spells etc. From someone who finishes a game a year at best, this one has me hooked. As I wind down into the 45 hour range, I know it's ending - and the mark of a good game for me is: I wish it wasn't.
  2. EugeneM.
    Feb 9, 2006
    Excellent game with Airplane control Subperb Battle system Great special Effects for the magic and skills Fantastic graphics Everyone shut up with the word cliche its better than God of war
    May 27, 2006
    Shut up you losers!(who voted below a 6) Leave my poor Grandia alone! She's preety . Shes spunky and we plays nicea together!
  4. Sep 28, 2013
    The combat system is interesting, but it does get repetitive, that's kind of standard for RPGs though. Voice acting is pretty good, although it could use more VOed parts.

The storyline starts out kind of interesting, but it gets worse and worse until a pretty anti-climatic and predictable ending. There's minimal difficulty even if you rush through everything and don't do any extra

There's minimal difficulty even if you rush through everything and don't do any extra leveling like I did. It's also incredibly linear, there is no exploration despite the main character being an apprentice pilot. I mean c'mon...they give you a plane but no where to explore with it?

Overall it was pretty unimpressive.
  5. CarlJ.
    May 2, 2006
    It's a good game the system is incredible most of all it is good but it is too easy to beat and there is too few shopping spots and items ( whats the used of money if there is a few items?)
  6. RobertL.
    Mar 5, 2006
    So far the battle system is Great! There are NO cinematic movies. There are no Side Quests. Game completion is supposedly at 30 hours. And yet it is still a 2 disc game? Just doesn't make sense. Story is a little 1 sided. . .but has kept me interested for 10+ hours so far. Let's see if it continues.
  7. JerryH.
    Jun 7, 2006
    I give this an eight b/c in the beginning it took forever just to beable to start playing the game b/c of movie ..... the movie within the games seems to take over sometimes but other than that i really love this game.
  8. AlexD.
    Feb 16, 2006
    I'm really tired of the flock of reviewers which seems to have fixed on this word cliche like Alanis Morissette on irony. Look at the reviews: some love the story and characters most of all, but most can't get past the fact that it's "boy meets girl, boy saves world." Apparently, from now on, all the heroes should be alone and have nothing particularly exciting to do, or I'm really tired of the flock of reviewers which seems to have fixed on this word cliche like Alanis Morissette on irony. Look at the reviews: some love the story and characters most of all, but most can't get past the fact that it's "boy meets girl, boy saves world." Apparently, from now on, all the heroes should be alone and have nothing particularly exciting to do, or risk offending some very sensitive critics... How could anyone give a 70 to any game, let alone an rpg with 1. great gameplay/ very well told story (whether or not it in fact involves boys AND girls,) 2. sweeet graphics, and 3. lots of polish... not to mention that one of the reviews pretty much uses it as an excuse to bash ALL of the Grandia games, which are basically regarded as classics by RPG fans everywhere. This all, to me, is especially sad considering the closest thing to an industry ideal is Final Fantasy X, which had moments when the voice acting was so bad and the characters were so stupid I either laughed out loud or looked around embarassed, hoping no one had heard it but me. (Of course, I liked final fantasy X overall because while it might not have been really better than VI or VII or any of the others, it was much tighter than any previous one and had a good ending as well.) Anyway... point being... does this game look awesome? Do you like not having RANDOM ENCOUNTERS? (Not sure that was ever once mentioned as a plus in the reviews, although it nearly always seems to be mentioned as a minus in other games' reviews.) Are you tired of most of combat being a question of how fast you can select attack in order to get the darn battle over with? Try this game -- It's FUN. Expand
  9. AndyK.
    Mar 3, 2006
    This game is amazingingly great !! YES - it is ! It is not oly the fact that SquareEnix took care of it (see FF-Series), no it is the generell impression I got. It starts from the intro, which is really wonderfull and ends up with every single detail in game. Of course the battle system of the older parts was taken over, which is a big plus, and to have more veriety you can now buy skills This game is amazingingly great !! YES - it is ! It is not oly the fact that SquareEnix took care of it (see FF-Series), no it is the generell impression I got. It starts from the intro, which is really wonderfull and ends up with every single detail in game. Of course the battle system of the older parts was taken over, which is a big plus, and to have more veriety you can now buy skills and magic spells to personalize each and every char. Speaking of battles, you get a very good tutorial, where the most important aspects are explained, so no worries , that you might miss anything. Another great idea was the strategy helper, YES, you heard me correctly, a strategy helper. YOu have an option to either switch it on or off, if it is activated, you gethints during a battle what you should do (like take what kind attack and attack who). If you are new to RPGs or Grandia, it is a very welcome method to assist you during difficult battles. You like good music ? Grandia III has the songs you are looking for ! Many beautyful songs, played during the different sceneries and situations, underlines the great styled and drawn atmosphere. I say "whooohoo", Grafic's great, sound as well, so what about the story you ask ? I tell you something, you will love it, it has lots of humor and jokes, as we are used to it due to the prequals, Grandia III will make you laugh a lot. The voices (synchronisation) of the chars are fitting perfectly (as far as I see it). So if you are looking for a great new RPG and if you are amazed by the Grandia series, go and BUY it, it is definately worth buying it. You will love it !!! (Okay, now I need to run and continue playing Grandia III) Expand
  10. GogetaP.
    Apr 29, 2006
    This is the best game to happen since Final Fantasy! Tactical and challenging battles, easy to follow storyline, and enjoyable challenging bosses.
  11. SteveM.
    Feb 16, 2006
    Great game so far, especially the combat. I think that is defiantly the selling point of this series. In alot of RPGs the combat can get quite tedious after just a few battles. In this game it seems to get more and more fun. I love trying to sneak up on the ememies and give them a smackin! It gives you the initiative in battles. There is also several different ways to counter and combo, Great game so far, especially the combat. I think that is defiantly the selling point of this series. In alot of RPGs the combat can get quite tedious after just a few battles. In this game it seems to get more and more fun. I love trying to sneak up on the ememies and give them a smackin! It gives you the initiative in battles. There is also several different ways to counter and combo, it's awsome. I also don't see so much of a chiched story as I do a new twist on the pretty much standard Japaneese RPG storyboard. I'll admit that I am sick of seeing the same thing, 16-17 year old boy on quest of destiny teams up with mousey 15 year old girl. bleh! I wish for once we could have more lead characters like Yuri in Shadow Hearts. I digress though. Yuki actually looks pretty cool. I don't know why the girl is named Alfina though (sounds like something Gordon Shumway eats on Melmack). She also looks like she migrated from the Ys series. Oh well enough complaing. None of this stuff really bothers me. This game is fantastic. A toatal must have for the RPG crowd or just a fun game for anyone looking for something interesting to play. Expand
  12. Dan
    Mar 31, 2006
    overrated, too mediocre for its own good..i kept waiting for it to be better ...and it never was the beginning of the game filled me with hope...i was let down.
  13. AndyM.
    Apr 2, 2006
    The story, dialogue and voice acting are unbearable. The only time I enjoyed the game was during battles. And even that only has so much magic after 35 hours. Despite the time it took, I really didn't get the 'grand epic' feel out of it. Go pick up Grandia II for $5 instead, you'll get a much superior game.
  14. AnsonG.
    Apr 22, 2006
    Not bad this game. The battle system is great. i was completed this game nearly 30 hours. The story also quite good.
  15. ColdH.
    Apr 25, 2006
    Don't really what to think in the end... The Battle System definitly is one of the best I've ever seen : dynamic, mixing strategy and action ! But... The plot is really cheap and the characters are just stupid. So ? Grandia III worth the shot, but skip the numerous cinematics and you'll pack it in less than 15 hours. BTW, the lack of side quests clearly is a bad point too.
  16. BTaylor
    May 2, 2006
    I am at work as I write this and can't wait to get home to continue playing Grandia3. Granted, the cut scenes and conversations are a tad long and drawn out... I have caught myself snickering now-n-again in amusement at them though. I do like the battle system though.... like when the characters go after more then the one enemy if they don't quite get their quota on the enemy I am at work as I write this and can't wait to get home to continue playing Grandia3. Granted, the cut scenes and conversations are a tad long and drawn out... I have caught myself snickering now-n-again in amusement at them though. I do like the battle system though.... like when the characters go after more then the one enemy if they don't quite get their quota on the enemy you originally 'sic' them on. The one thing I would really like to see in this game is the ability to explore more of the environment (nothing worst then that impassable grass force field that runs along the path) 'tough stuff'...lol. Expand
  17. ?????
    Jun 7, 2006
    I myself happen to enjoy this wonderful game . I havent quiet finished it yet so i am not going to give a 10 til i finish it and seem to be in love wit it also i am having a hard time so i get mad at the game lol but i seem to get mad at all games also i like that it isnt the long of a game cuz i never stick to games
  18. Furqan
    Jul 24, 2006
    Some of the best graphics out there in the industry, rich polyginal detail, huge landscapes, minimal loading times, multiple gameplay styles, easy to pick up gameplay, diversity of environments and worlds...what else would you want from an RPG ?! Awesome game, two thumbs up!
  19. PatryckD.
    Feb 23, 2006
    Grandia's fights are the BEST! i love the Movie seens and the story line is good if thay ever change the fight setup ill cry!
  20. May 12, 2014
    It would be the best rpg on ps2 if not for FFX. This game is fun and it is not overly complicated with finding specific items to progress through the game. The battle system is better than any RPG I have played to date. Sad that not many have heard of this game yet alone played it. My friend has a copy and i still borrow it from him once and a while. It takes roughly 40-50 hours to complete.
  21. Sep 14, 2016
    The game will be reviewed under year 2006 standards.

Aside from it's unique dream of "man taking it to the skies" the rest of Grandia III is "the" ultimate cliche. There's a headline for you. To understand that, you'd have to buy the game, which of course debate the writing at the bottom of this review. Most newcomers will be fooled at first believing it's battle system is original,
    The game will be reviewed under year 2006 standards.

Most newcomers will be fooled at first believing it's battle system is original, but it's actually just the Final Fantasy series' ATB system, where your party members take turns attacking, and then must wait for a specified amount of time before said party member can act act again. It is a reoccurring element in the Grandia games, and one that most will easily adapt too. Certain attacks party members do can cancel enemy moves, and sometimes knock them in the sky, allowing other party members to combo attack them. Cancelling is a decent feature. Unfortunately the combo attacks are lost by mid-game as most enemies become immune to being knocked off the ground. Overall, the combat system is nothing spectacular nor dreadful.

The game must be saved at a save point, which appears to look like a rainbow orb. Loading your file up resumes your adventure from that save. If all party members are incapicitated during battle; you will receive a game over and be kicked to the main menu. In other-wards you go back to the last place you saved. This in itself is fine. It teaches players not to get too cocky when encountering stronger foes, or otherwise participating in multiple battles. Unfortunately, the save points get spammed so much (as in there's too many save points) that it begins to lose that meaning.

It comes with a skill and magic customization system, where you can choose exactly what special abilities and magic you want on your party. As you do more battles, you'll unlock more slots, which in turn lets you equip more magic and abilities. But no matter how many you get, one will find that the variety is always lacking one way or the other.

The game will take about 50 hours to complete. In the end, I'm not going to tell anyone to buy this game or avoid it. There was a lot more I was going to say about Grandia III, but was cut due to spoilers or being too negative on a slightly above average game that doesn't deserve the hate.
  22. Mar 10, 2015
    The Grandia series has one of the best RPG combat systems ever developed. Grandia III has refined this system even further, adding a 'juggling' mechanic (aerial combos/finishes) which makes combat even more exciting and potentially improves the loot dropped by enemies.

That been said, the storyline is the weakest of diluted anime sauces— totally predictable, and the characters follow suit with standard anime typecasting. Yes, I can still give it a 7... the combat system is that good.
  23. Dec 13, 2017
    Es un juego excelente, sin duda uno de los mejores de la historia. Una compra segura y además es largo!! Totalmente recomendado. Es bastante lineal, pero si no fuera así no transmitiría las emociones que transmite.
    Sencillamente es un juegazo!!

#21 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#13 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

A marvelous game with a few minor flaws that don't really kill the experience. With a lovable cast, mouth-watering graphics, and an innovative battle system, Grandia III is an excellent addition to any RPG aficionado's collection. [JPN Import]
  2. It’s not like there aren’t any genuinely emotional moments in Grandia 3, but they’re balanced out by all of the cornball cheesiness. Still, if you can forgive this, and are up to the challenge of the battle system, then Grandia 3’s sprawling worlds are well worth adventuring through. [JPN Import]
  3. Weekly Famitsu