6.3

1. AustinW.
    Jul 25, 2007
    There are some gems (we got the beat, heat of the moment, 18 and life), but not as amazing as 1 or 2. If you like the songs, get it.
  2. JoeW.
    Jul 26, 2007
    I definitely like that there are more songs and they are definitely fun to play, but it is kinda lacking in the ways of 80's songs you actually would wanna play (opinionated). I guess 30 songs is decent (even though the last had over 40 counting bonus songs), but less characters, and lack of costumes doesn't make the game worth $49.99. However, if you COULD have at least either I definitely like that there are more songs and they are definitely fun to play, but it is kinda lacking in the ways of 80's songs you actually would wanna play (opinionated). I guess 30 songs is decent (even though the last had over 40 counting bonus songs), but less characters, and lack of costumes doesn't make the game worth $49.99. However, if you COULD have at least either gotten extra for having a normal career, or even better, been able to play off your old one, or at least kept your guitars, I might not be as soar about the hit straight to my wallet (when all is said and done, the extra time should have been put in just for the little extra then fans would like). Expand
  3. MattT.
    Jul 28, 2007
    I am a huge fan of the guitar hero series, but this game is pretty bad. The songs are not nearly as epic or fun as the first two games. Some of them don't even have a good guitar part at all. The difficulty is also way off - it took me months to pass all the songs on guitar hero 2, and I still have a couple left to five star. I beat this game in 12 hours, and less than a week after I am a huge fan of the guitar hero series, but this game is pretty bad. The songs are not nearly as epic or fun as the first two games. Some of them don't even have a good guitar part at all. The difficulty is also way off - it took me months to pass all the songs on guitar hero 2, and I still have a couple left to five star. I beat this game in 12 hours, and less than a week after release I only have three songs left to five star on expert. Bottom line, unless you are a hardcore fan of the series wait a month until its price drops like a rock, then you will not be disappointed. Expand
  4. FriedPiper
    Jul 31, 2007
    It seems that creating a true pop culture icon has turned Harmonix from a developer that consistently made the most creative, deep music games around (Frequency, nearly 6 years after its release, still stands proud as an amazing game, as does it's sequel Amplitude) into the developers that made... well, this, a last grab quickie to cash in before on their success before they move on It seems that creating a true pop culture icon has turned Harmonix from a developer that consistently made the most creative, deep music games around (Frequency, nearly 6 years after its release, still stands proud as an amazing game, as does it's sequel Amplitude) into the developers that made... well, this, a last grab quickie to cash in before on their success before they move on to Rock Band. Now, please understand, I'm the type of person that was going to (and did) buy this game the first day. I can and have forgiven the last Guitar Hero games for all the aesthetic and creative decisions that annoyed me, such as the overly cutesy, obvious venues and the uninspired, lazy rock caricatures that pass for the characters ("That guy has a top hat and makeup! He must be the sleaze, glam metal guy! And that guy with the wavy haricut is like the guy from Stray Cats!"). However, the indifference and laziness apparent in this full-price-expansion-pack-without-any-actual-expansions is so overt and verging on vulgar that even the most thick skinned and avid fan will find himself uttering "Oh come on!". From the get go, everything feels rushed and cynical. The opening cutscene is EXACTLY THE SAME as Guitar Hero 2 only with more pastel colors. Every menu is exactly the same only with pastel colors. Hell, even the venues (those that are still there... ) are exactly the same only with more pastel colors and the occasional Reagan poster (really). The character list has been shortened and the changes to those characters to "80's-ify" them are even more obvious and uninspired than their original designs (Why change Axl? Isn't a denim vest with spikes already basically the epitome of 80s metal fashion?). It feels as though noone who actually lived through or has ever seen a few hours of 80s music videos took part in making this game; this is the only explanation I can come up with for why there isn't any character with a big, curly mullet and an unappealing blue suit with shoulder pads, the sleeves rolled up above the elbows. Then, of course, there is the real reason anyone bought the game: the songs. Again, I've been very forgiving about the covers in past games. I thought it was actually kinda charming that the guy singing Heart Shaped Box sounded like an even bigger loser than Kurt Cobain, and that Bark At The Moon was sung by someone who was clearly not Ozzy. However, some of the covers here are so egregious that hey can hardly be glossed over. Heat of the Moment suffers the worst, with its entire, rip roaring chorus completely deflated and turned into an utter downer. The humanoid attempting to recreate Dio's Holy Diver sounds like a drunk man mocking the song as he walks down the street with his friends. While this is truly disappointing, the real story is the lack of real potent songs here. So many of these songs are 2nd or 3rd string tunes from the artist. Instead of Quiet Riot's signature, Come Along and Feel Some Joyful Noize, we get their non-starter, non-hit Metal Health (Bang Your Head). Twisted Sister's ode to no longer being willing to take "it" has been opted out in favor of a pretty shitty rerecording of I Wanna Rock. Whereas Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight would have been a complete showstopper, we instead get his awful, sleazy ode to nauseating sex, Shakin'. And why in world is this game missing Iron Maiden's The Trooper, perhaps one of the quintessential amazing metal songs of the 80s, especially since PS2 owners already saw themselves slighted earlier this year when it made its way onto the Xbox 360's Guitar Hero 2? This single song would have made this game expotentially more rad. And speaking of metal, any real heavy stuff is sorely missing here. When one realizes that acts like Lamb of God and Shadows Fall made their way into Guitar Hero 2, it really doesn't seem like too awful an expectation that this game might contain some real barn burners from thrash bands like Destruction or Kreator or even some old school death metal. So why, after all this, am I giving it a pretty high rating? Because this game, no matter how many problems, will still continue to the proud legacy of Guitar Hero as a party starter. I could definitely see a room full of rowdy college students turning the awful Heat of the Moment cover into a soaring, hillarious good time. Songs like 18 And Life and Only A Lad are so rad and over the top that they can only spell good times. So while I'm sorely disappointed in the laziness and clear greed involved in this game, I still gotta say I'll be a slave to it until GH3 this fall, most likely. Expand
  5. MattD.
    Jul 25, 2007
    Overpriced, fewer songs, fewer features, easier - but still fun to play. If it were truly billed (and priced) as an expansion, it might rank higher.
  6. JohnV.
    Jul 26, 2007
    Bought it yesterday and have played through it all on Hard already. It's a short ride with little fulfillment. I recommend picking it up if you can find it - you won't - for around $20. Otherwise, save your money for Rock Band. I just have it because my friends wanted new songs, and I had the extra cash. Poor covers to boot.
  7. MichaelS.
    Jul 25, 2007
    This playlist is really dissapointing. for the most part its just the same glam rock thats on the other games. doesn't seem any more 80s then the other games. where the men at work, toto, clash, dexy's midnight runners, joan jett, prince, wang chung, cutting crew, new order, simple minds, tears for fears, human league, blondie, robert palmer, huey lewis, eddie money, david This playlist is really dissapointing. for the most part its just the same glam rock thats on the other games. doesn't seem any more 80s then the other games. where the men at work, toto, clash, dexy's midnight runners, joan jett, prince, wang chung, cutting crew, new order, simple minds, tears for fears, human league, blondie, robert palmer, huey lewis, eddie money, david bowie, B52s, duran duran, pixies, michael jackson, tommy tutone, ramones, gary numan, corey hart, hall and oates, the cars, u2, devo, haricut 100, oingo boingo, bananarma, a-ha, the buggles? the list of ridiculous names could and should go on forever. Expand
  8. Sep 23, 2013
    The songs are great. WaveGroup made the their covers sound just a good. The only thing I dislike is that the game cost $50. So, go to Gamestop and find one that is cheap as $20.

#4 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2007
#37 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2007

It's a lot of (very familiar) fun, but like an overpriced concert t-shirt, there's no escaping the feeling that it's not quite the value it looked when enthusiasm had free reign over your wallet.
  2. Yes, this fresh batch of tunes will help with the wait until the holiday rush of "Guitar Hero III" and "Rock Band." Those who are hoping for a new load of unlockables to shoot for are out of luck. [Aug 2007, p.97]
    This is basically Guitar Hero II with a new set of songs. That means you get all of its improvements, from practice mode to cooperative two-player jams with one person on lead and the other on bass or rhythm guitar. But that also begs the question: Why does this need to be a full-price title?