.hack//Infection Part 1 PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Feb 10, 2003
8.3

1. AndyC.
    Jan 2, 2004
    ITS ALL RIGHT not the best game i have ever played but the A.I is out of this world and extremly funny . they say some weired things if you dont pay attention to them lol.
  2. Josh
    Oct 23, 2003
    I was very interested in the faux-MMORPG concept, but incredibly bored by the repetitive gameplay. After a while, I just couldn't force myself to walk through the same series of rooms over and over anymore. This game is worth renting, but not buying.
  3. JarnoS.
    Jan 3, 2003
    I think your score is the right score.
  4. PatrickS.
    Feb 19, 2003
    The game is a bit fun at first but soon becomes tedious. The graphics and gameplay both get overly repetitive. There's also no 'hook' to the plot, more of a poke.
  5. KuroiR.
    Apr 23, 2003
    ^____^ Tis great! Very addicting.... I can't wait for the next one...
  6. MichaelQ.
    May 12, 2003
    Great game, kept to the anime, good graphics.
  7. TreyF.
    May 7, 2003
    This game rules over all games made and if u say diffrent i'll kick your ass.
  8. Web.Master
    Jun 12, 2003
    An average rpg game that should only be played by hack infection anime fanatic. The overall gameplay is dull. Multi-sequel rpg games should rather play xenosaga, a 4 part innovative rpg series that strongly rivals the greatness of Final Fantasy X.
  9. MariaL.
    Jun 20, 2003
    This game is fantastic.
  10. Animegirl
    Jul 1, 2003
    This game is great so far!! i would give it a 10 but sum stuff is kinda of clueless^_^
  11. AnthonyN.
    Aug 4, 2003
    This game takes you away and makes you want to play it more and more!!!
  12. TristanS.
    Jun 14, 2004
    This game is awsome i must admit the camera system could have used some tweaking but other than that it is a great game.
  13. StevenS.
    Nov 11, 2003
    This is the best game I have ever played.
  14. PatM.
    Dec 10, 2003
    I thought this game rocked! ( but i love anime )
  15. ChristopherP.
    Feb 11, 2003
    THIS GAME WILL ROCK! It is as if you're online, yet offline. That's so wicked!!!
  16. MarkJ.
    Feb 20, 2003
    Just finished it and had a great time (mainly due to the addictive plot).
  17. BrandonS.
    Feb 24, 2003
    This game is great. Its innovative gameplay and addictive storyline is what keeps you playing. If stop to smell the roses (side quests) you can get a pretty good RPG experience. Extreme gamers like me willl get a break from the final fantasies and the usual RPG battle play, although I've seen a battle engibe like this in kingdom hearts I was thoroughly impressed with it.
  18. Hojo
    Jun 16, 2003
    This is a really good game i love it! BUT their is only one thing wrong with it you cant pick your class.
  19. JavkK.
    Jul 17, 2003
    It really cool and it is my favoite game ever.
  20. RyanM.
    Jun 5, 2004
    .hack offers up a unique rpg experience that sorta lacks in the environment department. This game is repetitive dungeon crawling and basic boring environments. But, otherwise this game is a great bonus to your rpg collection.
  21. BrittanyF.
    Nov 12, 2003
    This is a great game! It's very addicting and I would play it more if my PS2 would stop breaking... I can't wait to finish so I can start the next one!
  22. SytraK.
    May 13, 2003
    This is the best game I have played so far. Can't wait till I have all 4 parts.
  23. KyuuK.
    May 21, 2003
    This game will have you hooked. The graphics are kind of bland during gameplay, but there are plenty of nice things in the game. Character design is great, and the ability to customize your desktop. I think it's a unique idea and definately worth playing.
  24. MichaelP.
    Jun 27, 2003
    One of the best games I played. but I don't like how you don't get to choose a class. I love this game and will continue to play all the .hack games.
  25. BrendanK.
    Jun 28, 2003
    Really fun to play.
  26. JefBuoy
    Jul 12, 2003
    If you could pick your class this would be the greatest RPG ever. Oh wait, it already is.
  27. TimothyW.
    Jul 17, 2003
    Awesome fighting techniques. Makes you feel like your in it.
  28. JadeL.
    Jun 18, 2004
    GREAT GAME. Really Cool for all RolePlayers.
  29. BobM.
    Nov 28, 2005
    Awsome! This game just goes to show you that RPG's are the best of the best in the gaming world
  30. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Dec 19, 2003
    I love this game it's fun there is so many people to use in your party.The battle system can be frustrating yet fun nonethless.The graphics aren't PS2 quality.The story though is simply fantasic.Buy it now...YES...RIGHT NOW
  31. Oct 3, 2010
    You know a game is good when even with crappy visuals it still holds on to you, this is even more evident in RPGs. This short but great RPG should be in every collectors catalog as it's one of the many great RPGs of the PS2 era.
  32. Aug 14, 2014
    .hack Infection is the first of 4 games in an episodic series of games. The plot involves a game within the game. you had just signed up to a game called "the world". After a few tutorial quests with a friend, you run into a special and almost unbeatable monster. The monster performs a move that sends him into a coma in real life. He then finds himself with a bracelet that has the.hack Infection is the first of 4 games in an episodic series of games. The plot involves a game within the game. you had just signed up to a game called "the world". After a few tutorial quests with a friend, you run into a special and almost unbeatable monster. The monster performs a move that sends him into a coma in real life. He then finds himself with a bracelet that has the power to change the programming code of "the world" so it severally weaken his enemies. with this comes accusations of him being a hacker or a virus and many allies along the way. At least that's what i got. The game abruptly ends with many questions unanswered.

For a 2003 game the graphics look ok. The levels look decent with the use of 3-D meets anime art style. The problem is that for what it tries to be it fails at. It tries to simulate a wide MMO, but every level is closed off and is accessed through other means. There are tons of dungeons in the game, but not a lot are needed to finish the game. Not to mention a good chunk of them look the same. They recycle the same style for 80% to 90% of them. same goes for the enemies. Sure a lot of them are menacing, but they get recycled so often that it can get mind-numbing.
    The audio is ok. The music is appropriate for dungeons and has a high quality sound to it. The game is also almost completely voice acted, which is a lot more than MMOs can say at the time. The problem is some of the voices are absolutely annoying. Certain key items keep saying their names out loud. You end up getting them, not because you want them, but to shut them up. The voice acting during the plot on the other hand is serviceable at best. No one in particular is good or bad.

The game-play is boring. The game is a hybrid between an MMOs and a Action/RPG combat system. The problem is that it does neither very good. Every fight plays the same. You go up to your opponent and play shot for shot till someone dies. Not to mention none of the enemies are loaded in. Every fight has a giant sphere in which monsters are loaded in. this really takes you out of the experience if you ever played Everquest or similar games. Another problem is the dungeons. Plot crucial dungeons have set place for you to go to complete them. This makes the game even more repetitive when you realize you do the same thing to get a good item from a dungeon. The difference is that you teleport out during at the end of main quests. So it fails to simulate a MMO, it fails at being good RPG and since it cuts the plot off so soon, it fails to have more than a paper thin plot.

Overall .hack Mutation is a bad game that is held together with a cool concept. If the first is a sign of things to come, this is going to be a long ride crappy ride for you. If you have any interest in the series, i'd say play at your own risk. This is a cash grab. Do not be duped. They spread this along 4 games to see how many suckers would give them $250 over 4 games.
  33. Nov 3, 2014
    Never thought I would play such a unique and amazing rpg what else can I say about this one how about amazing so good best game of all time it was a masterpiece
  34. Oct 6, 2015
    A game that I truly miss, it was entertaining to say the least. The world the designers built was remarkable, even though it had some faults I didn't really pay too much attention to them.
  35. Apr 11, 2017
    Sous prétexte d'une pseudo-simulation de MMORPG, voilà une petite daube d'une rare indigence qui ne vaut même pas la peine qu'on marche dessus. Le jeu japonais est en déclin ? avec des pseudo-jeux (et vraies daubes) de ce genre, ça ne m'étonne pas du tout. L'interface a été pensée avec les pieds et la jouabilité a été réglée avec des moufles. L'ensemble niaiseux à n'en plus pouvoir est àSous prétexte d'une pseudo-simulation de MMORPG, voilà une petite daube d'une rare indigence qui ne vaut même pas la peine qu'on marche dessus. Le jeu japonais est en déclin ? avec des pseudo-jeux (et vraies daubes) de ce genre, ça ne m'étonne pas du tout. L'interface a été pensée avec les pieds et la jouabilité a été réglée avec des moufles. L'ensemble niaiseux à n'en plus pouvoir est à vomir des arcs-en-ciel. Expand

#43 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#64 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. I had to muddle through almost half of this 20-hour RPG before .hack really grabbed me... And now, I'm hooked. [Feb 2003, p.100]
  2. The most fun I have had playing an RPG in a long time! This game just spews forth with innovation.
    Despite some dated-looking visuals (it REALLY does look like PSO), Dot-hack is an impressive bit of high-concept work, and scores lots of points for its presentational excellence.