• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: May 10, 2005
8.8

1. Mar 1, 2012
    This is a decent game with good atmosphere and a strong character. Gameplay consists of puzzles, object collecting, and training your dog. It is sort of like old Resident Evil in style and that might be a little bit bland in the modern era of gaming. Some elements are extremely fun and new, but I don't think there is enough to call this game addictive. Sometimes it is too confusing as toThis is a decent game with good atmosphere and a strong character. Gameplay consists of puzzles, object collecting, and training your dog. It is sort of like old Resident Evil in style and that might be a little bit bland in the modern era of gaming. Some elements are extremely fun and new, but I don't think there is enough to call this game addictive. Sometimes it is too confusing as to where you are supposed to go next. The anxiety and confusion factor is actually part of the gameplay as you stumble through while trying not to get attacked. I felt this game was solid, but not addictive for me personally. This game will keep value because its premise is so bizarre and the dog training very fun. Get this if you love old Resident Evil style games. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2012
    This game is SCARY AS HELL and has some improvements than clock tower 3 except it is confusing sometimes but it's disturbing atmosphere and gameplay is still great.
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best way to describe this game is; Have you played Clock Tower 3? If yes, then you're all good. However, this game is what Clock Tower 3 should have been in the first place. With the A.I programmed to never stop looking for you, a dog companion to assist you and a larger variety of hiding spots Haunting Ground could might as well be called Clock Tower 4. The stalkers are so much more threatening since even after they leave the room you're hiding in, they keep on looking for you which raises the fear factor and the music that accompanies them is truly adds to the game. That being said, they can get annoying at times, appearing at times where you're doing a puzzle or trying to get from point A to point B. Other mechanics such as panic mode, your dog companion which can go to out-of-reach areas, find items which will assist you, growling when a stalker is near and attack the stalkers when they're chasing you. This game has also has very detailed art and the facial expressions of the characters are very vivid (unlike many other games at the time). Even though this game has many ups to it, one thing that can be said is that it has mediocre replay value. There aren't that many things for you to do in this game. I guess you could look for rare items. You could also try to get all the endings and beat the game in hard mode but other than that, the replay value is ok. It isn't the type of game i'd take out and play a week after I completed it for the first time. Hard mode is, well, just a harder version of the game with the only difference (other than the difficulty) being the color of the clothes the stalkers wear. You could also try and get the unlockable costumes for both Fiona and Hewie. This game isn't perfect but it comes somewhat close to it. Expand
  4. Julian
    May 16, 2005
    This game is pretty much what Clock Tower 3 should have been. The enemy is much smarter and there's more scare factor.
  5. MickaP.
    May 17, 2005
    I REALLY liked this game a lot. Great graphics and music... I found myself lost inside the game world and I loved every second of it!
  6. DezoR.
    Jun 9, 2005
    I really cannot understand why the big gamesites are condemning it in such a harsh way. Like Julian said it is what ClockTower3 should have been all along. No hypergalactic magic and stuff, just reality (alright, a bit alchemy too) that's what scares you most. Just plain reality in a way where no actual magic is involved. Just some fantasy elements like in clocktower1-2. Yeah, i love I really cannot understand why the big gamesites are condemning it in such a harsh way. Like Julian said it is what ClockTower3 should have been all along. No hypergalactic magic and stuff, just reality (alright, a bit alchemy too) that's what scares you most. Just plain reality in a way where no actual magic is involved. Just some fantasy elements like in clocktower1-2. Yeah, i love Clocktower, but not Clocktowe3. Though "Haunting Ground" feels a bit like CT3 the plot itself leans rather on the first 2 parts of the CT serie, that's good. It is a good game, i dreamed about it, gave me thrillin nightmares...that means its approved for me. ^_^ RUN FIONA RUN!! Expand
  7. HaleyH.
    Jun 15, 2005
    It is great.
  8. JillW.
    Jun 16, 2005
    I love this game it is one of my favorites.
  9. KevinV.
    Jul 12, 2005
    This is my favorite game of all time. It is so orginal, you may think not but it is. Although it does have the whole creepy mansion theme the gameplay and enemies are original. You don't know whats helpful or harmful. And the fighting system is awesome not only do you use physical or weapon attacks you can use your dog compain to help you. There are so many interesting puzzles that This is my favorite game of all time. It is so orginal, you may think not but it is. Although it does have the whole creepy mansion theme the gameplay and enemies are original. You don't know whats helpful or harmful. And the fighting system is awesome not only do you use physical or weapon attacks you can use your dog compain to help you. There are so many interesting puzzles that invole both of you. The voice overs are amazing done, the visuals are fantastic, and the gameplay is more original than resident evil 4. I just can't stand how people don't look at this game and realize how wonder it is. They always compare it to Resident Evil 4. Although that is a great game it doesn't have much orginality to it. Your in a abandon village getting attacked by monsters to help someone. It has great gameplay but is not as compelling or scary as Haunting Ground. Haunting Ground blends the survival horror terror, with the hide-and-seek gameplay. I give it the my highest recomendation. Expand
  10. JoelH.
    Nov 6, 2005
    A great game that rewards patience. Cerebral and gripping. The puzzles are interesting, the interaction between the heroine Fiona and her canine ally Hewie makes for a unique control system, avoiding the four enemies can be panic-inducing, and the cut-scenes are very well done. A marvellous game!
  11. KellyH.
    Jun 1, 2006
    this was a fun game...the first time i started playing it...i was freaking out and screaming....but when i saw my sister play, it wasnt that bad....so i do LUV this awsome game, and recomend others to play it as well.
  12. SeanM.
    Jun 16, 2006
    Glad to see there are others really into this game. I love the Clock Tower series, including 3. Yeah 3 had a lot of magic mumbo jumbo, but I thought it was a good story for what it was. And so is Haunting Ground. But Haunting Ground is scarier in that it's actually much harder to predict when you're going to run into trouble. The graphics were actually excellent for the PS2 Glad to see there are others really into this game. I love the Clock Tower series, including 3. Yeah 3 had a lot of magic mumbo jumbo, but I thought it was a good story for what it was. And so is Haunting Ground. But Haunting Ground is scarier in that it's actually much harder to predict when you're going to run into trouble. The graphics were actually excellent for the PS2 which helps the atmosphere a lot. This game does everything right and nothing wrong, a horror masterpiece. Expand
  13. LisaM.
    Sep 8, 2007
    My fav game. Love the graphics, the caracters and puzzles. Could have been a bit more scarier and longer gameplay.
  14. JoanaS
    Sep 9, 2008
    Very good game, really. I think i was actually unrated because it was launched at the same time as resident evil 4, by the same company also, and it want well accepted by the public. I think is as good as resident evil 4, or even better. This is a different game, different style. You dont have to just kill enemies, you have to take decisions that could change the ending of the story, both Very good game, really. I think i was actually unrated because it was launched at the same time as resident evil 4, by the same company also, and it want well accepted by the public. I think is as good as resident evil 4, or even better. This is a different game, different style. You dont have to just kill enemies, you have to take decisions that could change the ending of the story, both if you are killed (in many different ways) or you survive till the end. I also lked the panic state that Fiona can suffer. Very nice, really. Expand
  15. May 24, 2015
    If anything, I truly feel sorry for this game. Being released just after Resident Evil 4. While it does try really hard to show some innovation being something of a spiritual successor to the Clock Tower series, it just came too late and was almost instantly forgotten in RE4's shadow.

Visuals are great, sound and music top notch. But, script/plot are just cliche and forgettable. It's kind of sad as you can see allot of effort and care went into designing the game. A shame better writers weren't involve.

Overall:
    Haunting Ground is an old school survival horror game that just arrived to late. Not to mention a lackluster plot, sealed this game's fate from day 1. Otherwise it still is a fun game worth getting, especially if you are a fan of old school survival horror.

1. Even if Haunting Ground is visually great and is in many ways a refreshingly different representative of its genre, but does have its own set of problems. [May 2005, p.68]
  2. Some elements of story and gameplay are left disappointingly underdeveloped, and the grand environmental puzzles of the opening section become all but absent in the later locations - but when Belli's running for her life, you won't stop to notice.
  3. An experience that is unquestionably less fun than doing one's taxes. [May 2005, p.116]