Haunting Ground PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: May 10, 2005
8.8

1. Oct 19, 2012
    This game is SCARY AS HELL and has some improvements than clock tower 3 except it is confusing sometimes but it's disturbing atmosphere and gameplay is still great.
  2. Julian
    May 16, 2005
    This game is pretty much what Clock Tower 3 should have been. The enemy is much smarter and there's more scare factor.
  3. MickaP.
    May 17, 2005
    I REALLY liked this game a lot. Great graphics and music... I found myself lost inside the game world and I loved every second of it!
  4. DezoR.
    Jun 9, 2005
    I really cannot understand why the big gamesites are condemning it in such a harsh way. Like Julian said it is what ClockTower3 should have been all along. No hypergalactic magic and stuff, just reality (alright, a bit alchemy too) that's what scares you most. Just plain reality in a way where no actual magic is involved. Just some fantasy elements like in clocktower1-2. Yeah, i love I really cannot understand why the big gamesites are condemning it in such a harsh way. Like Julian said it is what ClockTower3 should have been all along. No hypergalactic magic and stuff, just reality (alright, a bit alchemy too) that's what scares you most. Just plain reality in a way where no actual magic is involved. Just some fantasy elements like in clocktower1-2. Yeah, i love Clocktower, but not Clocktowe3. Though "Haunting Ground" feels a bit like CT3 the plot itself leans rather on the first 2 parts of the CT serie, that's good. It is a good game, i dreamed about it, gave me thrillin nightmares...that means its approved for me. ^_^ RUN FIONA RUN!! Expand
  5. HaleyH.
    Jun 15, 2005
    It is great.
  6. JillW.
    Jun 16, 2005
    I love this game it is one of my favorites.
  7. KevinV.
    Jul 12, 2005
    This is my favorite game of all time. It is so orginal, you may think not but it is. Although it does have the whole creepy mansion theme the gameplay and enemies are original. You don't know whats helpful or harmful. And the fighting system is awesome not only do you use physical or weapon attacks you can use your dog compain to help you. There are so many interesting puzzles that This is my favorite game of all time. It is so orginal, you may think not but it is. Although it does have the whole creepy mansion theme the gameplay and enemies are original. You don't know whats helpful or harmful. And the fighting system is awesome not only do you use physical or weapon attacks you can use your dog compain to help you. There are so many interesting puzzles that invole both of you. The voice overs are amazing done, the visuals are fantastic, and the gameplay is more original than resident evil 4. I just can't stand how people don't look at this game and realize how wonder it is. They always compare it to Resident Evil 4. Although that is a great game it doesn't have much orginality to it. Your in a abandon village getting attacked by monsters to help someone. It has great gameplay but is not as compelling or scary as Haunting Ground. Haunting Ground blends the survival horror terror, with the hide-and-seek gameplay. I give it the my highest recomendation. Expand
  8. JoelH.
    Nov 6, 2005
    A great game that rewards patience. Cerebral and gripping. The puzzles are interesting, the interaction between the heroine Fiona and her canine ally Hewie makes for a unique control system, avoiding the four enemies can be panic-inducing, and the cut-scenes are very well done. A marvellous game!
  9. KellyH.
    Jun 1, 2006
    this was a fun game...the first time i started playing it...i was freaking out and screaming....but when i saw my sister play, it wasnt that bad....so i do LUV this awsome game, and recomend others to play it as well.
  10. SeanM.
    Jun 16, 2006
    Glad to see there are others really into this game. I love the Clock Tower series, including 3. Yeah 3 had a lot of magic mumbo jumbo, but I thought it was a good story for what it was. And so is Haunting Ground. But Haunting Ground is scarier in that it's actually much harder to predict when you're going to run into trouble. The graphics were actually excellent for the PS2 Glad to see there are others really into this game. I love the Clock Tower series, including 3. Yeah 3 had a lot of magic mumbo jumbo, but I thought it was a good story for what it was. And so is Haunting Ground. But Haunting Ground is scarier in that it's actually much harder to predict when you're going to run into trouble. The graphics were actually excellent for the PS2 which helps the atmosphere a lot. This game does everything right and nothing wrong, a horror masterpiece. Expand
  11. LisaM.
    Sep 8, 2007
    My fav game. Love the graphics, the caracters and puzzles. Could have been a bit more scarier and longer gameplay.
  12. JoanaS
    Sep 9, 2008
    Very good game, really. I think i was actually unrated because it was launched at the same time as resident evil 4, by the same company also, and it want well accepted by the public. I think is as good as resident evil 4, or even better. This is a different game, different style. You dont have to just kill enemies, you have to take decisions that could change the ending of the story, both Very good game, really. I think i was actually unrated because it was launched at the same time as resident evil 4, by the same company also, and it want well accepted by the public. I think is as good as resident evil 4, or even better. This is a different game, different style. You dont have to just kill enemies, you have to take decisions that could change the ending of the story, both if you are killed (in many different ways) or you survive till the end. I also lked the panic state that Fiona can suffer. Very nice, really. Expand
  13. Jun 6, 2016
    Oh Haunting Ground, what can I say! I went into this game thinking, "Oh reviews say this is a resident evil clone, I'll give it a shot". What I got from Haunting Ground was one of the greatest horror's ever made.

A spiritual successor to the Clock Tower franchise, Haunting Ground features the protagonist Fiona Belli and a killer (actually multiple killers the further you get) constantly running after her, and with little to nothing to defend herself with. Fiona must hide and solve puzzles to progress through the Belli Castle. There are virtually no load times and you can leave every room open to form a trail (a trail which tells you where you have and have not been yet). The creators were intelligent enough to realize by doing this a whole new dynamic could be added as the killer will go through rooms and close the door behind him/her to prevent your escape and search the room. My favorite killer was the Maid who one minute will be intent on killing you then suddenly appear in the next room and be cleaning and completely proper with you.

Sounds fairly innovative already right? Well there is this dog names "Hewie" which changes everything. The dog's AI is insanely well done with him playing differently depending on how you interact with him and do pre-set commands such as "Go, Stay, Praise, and Scold". Hewie is needed to solve certain puzzles, and can assist you in combat as well. You can get Hewie to obey you efficiently by communicating with him often and occasionally throwing a ball around for him (once you receive it) and giving him praise whenever he performs tasks correctly. Also upon beating the game you can select from different breeds of dog which will change the personality as well as the dogs health, and speed.

Some interesting survival skills Fiona has are her intuitions (thoughts which occur when Fiona interacts with a potentially useful item) and "Alchemy". The intuitions would be displayed when pausing and give subtle hints which never broke immersion (and in fact added to the immersion of the overall experience). Alchemy allowed you to make weapons out of different ingredients to assist in your survival. When bringing down a killer they will drop an item similar to the way Nemesis does in RE3.

The game has an awesome amount of content, from unlockable costumes, movie gallery, art gallery, multiple endings and even the ability to play as the dog. Upon beating the game two times, Hewie's intuitions will be displayed instead of Fiona's. The intuition change caught me completely by surprise and had me amazed at just how much content was fit into Haunting Ground.

The game is fairly expensive now, but regardless, if you ever get the chance or have the funds (and an insatiable love for horror and macabre) buy this game, there is absolutely no way you could be left disappointed.

#68 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#21 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. Pelaaja (Finland)
    Even if Haunting Ground is visually great and is in many ways a refreshingly different representative of its genre, but does have its own set of problems. [May 2005, p.68]
  2. Some elements of story and gameplay are left disappointingly underdeveloped, and the grand environmental puzzles of the opening section become all but absent in the later locations - but when Belli's running for her life, you won't stop to notice.
  3. Game Informer
    An experience that is unquestionably less fun than doing one's taxes. [May 2005, p.116]