• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Nov 11, 2002
7.1

1. Mar 9, 2015
    This game is by no means a must-play of its time. At best the graphics do their job and the "cutscenes" are laughable. This game truly deserves a score of 6 though due to how much the dev. team obviously wanted it to be good. You see, the game has a painfully obviously low budget, and, just to drive the point home, Beyond Games went bankrupt shortly after the game's release. The game isThis game is by no means a must-play of its time. At best the graphics do their job and the "cutscenes" are laughable. This game truly deserves a score of 6 though due to how much the dev. team obviously wanted it to be good. You see, the game has a painfully obviously low budget, and, just to drive the point home, Beyond Games went bankrupt shortly after the game's release. The game is just full of ways to make its generic exterior just a little better. Driving feels good, although you bounce off walls in a cartoonish fashion, which has the consequence of turning tunnels into tumble driers. There are a slew of weapons that are fun to use despite being uncreative. Overall, the game is a bunch of fun small distractions on a limited idea. Fighting is fun, but who wants to do that in a car. Stunting is fun, but how are you supposed to do that in a car. Driving around the interesting areas and interacting with cool set pieces is fun, but it becomes as fun as driving around in a real car. Racing is fun, but there is no reward for ever doing it. The best way to play through this game is to set it on normal difficulty, beat the campaign, and just relax with a friend as you drive around big maps in the joyride mode, finding all the collectables. In conclusion, maybe the dev. team would be around today if they weren't sent to die in the hole of shovelware. Expand
  2. JacobSmith
    Feb 18, 2009
    I don't understand the problem with the controls. Certain cars are tighter than others, but overall...everything is pretty well done. The story is ridiculous and shallow. That doesn't matter though when the game is so much fun! It's a rare gem in my book. I'm addicted to it!
  3. RobertP.
    Oct 28, 2005
    I think this game is pretty cool, since we are quite talented with keyboard controls. The only bad thing about it is the story.
  4. PatrickM.
    Mar 19, 2005
    This is the best game i have ever played!!!
  5. Ihatethisgamebobob
    May 16, 2003
    crap!!!!! the only ting good about this game is that it has a cool powerup. besides that it has no plot, no point, and bad graphics.
  6. JeffJ.
    Apr 22, 2003
    Holy Crap this sucks! I am really angry right now and I usually am pretty calm. The controls make me want to find the developers and hurt them, and I'm usually very nice.
  7. BoogerW.
    Jan 11, 2003
    My 6 year old son and I have had a blast playing this game. As a 35 year-old who grew up with Hot Wheels, I cannot get enough of this game.

#86 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#59 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

Almost a fun game, except that its controls really hold it back and kill any enjoyment that might have been had with the game.
  2. Game Informer
    This title is like a burrito stuffed with dirt, topped with soap shavings, and wrapped in a warm leather shell. [Feb 2003, p.98]
  3. An unfortunately stuttery frame rate keeps Hot Wheels Velocity X Maximum Justice from reaching its full potential, but the game is still quite enjoyable.