Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb PlayStation 2

8.6

1. AndrewJ.
    Jun 26, 2004
    It's no Tomb Raider, but I still had fun! :)
  2. Sam
    May 17, 2006
    Now I love Indiana Jones just as much as the next guy, but this is just sad. Not to say I didn't enjoy myself, but it could have been so much better if the controls were improved. It feels clunky, confusing, and really holds it back from what it could have been.
  3. Oct 2, 2015
    I have a soft spot in my heart for the Indiana Jones movies and so whenever there will be an Indiana Jones game coming out, I will hope and pray it will be worthy of this great movie series.

But alas, so far I haven't played an Indiana Jones game which is as high quality as the movies they are based on. Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (2009) had rather poor gameplay and unattractive graphics. Only the music was nice. Whenever i hear the Indiana Jones main theme it automatically brings me in a good mood and a smile will appear on my face.

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is an older game but for me it has nicer gameplay and feels more true to the movies. The graphics are not very pretty on the PS2 even for a game made in 2003, but the sound is nice and the levels interesting. It feels a bit like playing the Tomb Raider games, which reminded me of the Indiana Jones movies when i first played them many years ago.

The Indiana Jones games are not nearly as good as the Tomb Raider games though. The controls are just awkward and feel clumsy, the enemies are annoying coz shooting them is such a hassle. The best feature of this game is the whip, which can be used to jump over ravines but also to smack the enemies around a bit. It feels all the more satisfying to do so because the shooting and fighting mechanics are so poor.

The face of Indy looks like Harrison Ford's and the voice actor who did the voice of Indiana Jones delivers a sound pretty similar to Harrison Ford's voice. The music is atmospheric and creates a nice movie feel.

The game would be a lot less enjoyable if it didn't bring back those fond memories of going to the cinema to see the Indiana Jones movies and become emerged in this exotic world of adventure. But because it does exactly that, i rate this game a score of 7 out of 10.

1. Edge Magazine
    Instant deaths, glitchy combat, uninspiring boss encounters and twitchy controls conspire to make this a below-par experience. If it wasn't for the occasional flashes of imagination and the familiarity and richness conveyed through the license then The Emperor's Tomb would be utterly forgettable. [May 2003, p.99]
  2. PSM Magazine
    Solid gameplay, spot-on voice acting, and a classic Indy story make this a must have title. [Sept 2003, p.40]
  3. Some people (myself included) just can’t stand games with graphics as choppy and visually butchered as this one.