8.9

1. Sep 15, 2010
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a great platform adventure game put together with slapstick comedy. Inappropriate you say, well you'll think twice as soon as you play this. From the creators that brought you Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog) comes a new tale about a young boy named Jak and his pal Daxter who are on there way to Misty Island to meet up with Samos, master of the Green Eco. As soon as they arrive they come across two people named Gol and Maia who command an evil army of Lukers. Jak and Daxter attempt to leave but are attacked by one of the Lukers, Jak manages to destroy the creature with a barrel of Eco, but Jak gets knocked back and accidently bumps Daxter into a pool of Dark Eco which turns him into a orange ottsel (a sort of otter or weasel). Worried and frightened they finally meet up with Samos who explains that only the Sage of Dark Eco can change Daxter back. It's up to Jak and his new transformed pal Daxter to defeat the Lukers and stop Gol and Maia before they can flood the world with Dark Eco. During your journey you will be helped by Samos and his daughter Keira a mechanical engineer (and love interest of Jak) who builds machines of transport to take you to the sage of Dark Eco. Along the way she requires you to find Power Cells in order to powerup her machines. You play as Jak in the game and Daxter assists you with some hints to help you out. You can attack by pressing the square button for a power puch and the circle button for a spin, also there are Eco powers you can use as well. Blue Eco makes you speed up and jump high into the air to reach those really high ledges and Orange Eco gives you the power to shoot enemies. There are puzzles to be solved, tasks to be completed and challenges to accomplish throughout the game. In order to advance further you need to collect as many Power Cells as possible which are not easy to find. There are 101 to find in total. These are found by defeating enemies, accomplishing tasks set by friends on the islands, trading Precursor Orbs and completing puzzles. The journey is a sort of a tunnel like in the Crash series, from one Island to another but it is more free roaming and there are a number of tasks to complete. Every time you collect one Jak and Daxter will do a dance (like the Crash dance in Crash Bandicoot) which is hillarious. There are some great vehicles you ride which can run over water and lava. Jak and Daxter definitely make a great duo together and Daxter is my favourite and funniest in the game. For those who don't like games mixed with comedy and slapstick should at least give Jak and Daxter a second chance and you may think twice. There are a few problems though in the game. Jak doesn't really have a lot of attack moves and you can't defend yourself, so if there are hundreds at you at once your screwed. Jumping is a real issue at times as well, you can't jump a great leap even by double jumping. Checkpoints are rare and you don't actually know when you've reached a checkpoint until you die, if you do then you'll start back at that checkpoint and you will have to go through all what you did before. Jak is the only playable character in the game, I would have liked it more if you could also play as Daxter. Despite this Jak and Daxter is a great platform warm up for the PS2 and you will have hours of fun. Expand
  2. Jul 14, 2012
    So many colors! i love how many colors they put in this game, and how beautiful it is watching it turn from day to noon to evening to night, killin' enemies,platforming and collecting stuff. than collect stuff and sell it to get more stuff, killing enemies to unlock stuff that unlocks more stuff to get more stuff. beautiful...just...beautiful.
  3. May 7, 2012
    Back in 2001, this was the best game created and one of the most creative games I've played. It still holds a special place in my heart and its how I got into the Jak and Daxter series. Its also one of my first PS2 games I bought. An amazing game indeed!!
  4. Jul 11, 2012
    This Game, Is a Master Piece...I loved It the ending was good, gameplay was brilliant and the Boss battle was superb! It would be in the top 10 Greatest Games of all time!
  5. Sep 19, 2010
    Jak and Daxter: The Percursor Legacy is a good game. First off, the game is lovely to look at and the 3D design of the levels was definitely revolutionary at the time. The game is huge (considering it is an early PlayStation 2 game) with multiple areas to explore. You need to collect a certain amount of Power Cells which can be obtained by doing tasks (like doing jobs for the locals) or finding them dotted around the area which then can be used to advance to the next area. The 2 main characters, Jak and Daxter are likable although Daxter can get on my nerves sometimes (although his voice actor is awesome) and Jak doesn't talk. This game is a nice, traditional platformer with obstacles like Dark Eco crates, nicely designed enemies and pitfalls. Jak (the main character you play as) has a variety of moves to help him fight like a punch, dive and spin attack (Like Crash Bandicoot, another game made by Naughty Dog) to help him fight his enemies. He also can charge himself with a variety of powers vented from Eco Vents like Red Eco will make Jak stronger, Orange Eco can make him shoot fireballs and Blue Eco can make him operate special platforms. The bosses are simple but cool to fight. You can also ride in a zoomer which serves as some vehicle sections over lava pits which are interesting. The script can also pop out some comedy moments especially from Daxter and the voice acting for each character is spot on. The end boss is also epic. The game does become difficult due to the fact that checkpoints are spaced out and quite rare but Jak and Daxter is an enjoyable game that fans of platformers can't miss! Expand
  6. Sep 6, 2011
    "it sucks." who ever wrote that review probably spends hours at a time playing COD. lol obviously he started the game couldn't get past it because he can only play terrible shooters, and sucks at every other game. funny, creative, fun and all around good.
  7. Feb 10, 2011
    this game is one of the few true platformers. it has many frusturating challenges but the plot is good and the gameplay keeps you playing. if this game had guns like 2 and 3. it would be an 8. but since it doesn't i give it a respectable 7.
  8. Jul 22, 2013
    The first time I reviewed this I was a bit harsh. An 8 on the beginning game that started one of my favourite video game franchises of all time. Granted the storyline is a bit cliché but everything else about this game is AMAZING. The characters, the missions (while a bit infuriating at times though mostly brilliant), the areas (Precursor Basin anyone? Or Misty Island?), the music, the Zoomer sections, DAXTER!, the insane amount of stuff to collect (I collected every Power Cell, Scout Fly and Precursor Orb. It made me feel good!) and the Eco mechanic. While they absence of no after-game story is a downer, it doesn't need an after-game story (aside from the VERY disappointing secret ending!) While Jak 3 is definitely my favourite of the trilogy, Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy just comes in at second! Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2011
    A boastful platformer that gamers of all ages should experience. Pros: Fantastic graphics; excellent control, camera, and audio; visually stellar level design; funny characters. Cons: Too short; repetitive enemies; bad soundtrack; the gameplay rarely varies.
  10. Mar 24, 2011
    If you like games like Sly Cooper, and Ratchet & Clank, than you'll love this. Me, personally I loved those games so this one was pretty good too. The graphics are really good for 2001, and the voice acting is good. The best part of this one is the maps. These great, nice and green areas are really nice. Overall this game is a great one if you have a PS3 or PS2.
  11. May 22, 2011
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy did what Banjo-Kazooie did on the N64: introduced everyone to whole new world and a grand, whacky adventure. Pros: Beautiful graphics; excellent controls, camera, and sound; fantastic level design; no loading screens; funny characters; generic, but plain old fun 3-D platforming. Cons: Too short, too easy; average soundtrack; you can't play as Daxter.
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game. I have a PS3 and this is still my favourite game of all time.
  13. Jun 2, 2011
    This is the best video game ever made. The visuals are stunning, the story is entertaining, the gameplay is excellent, the characters are lovable and funny, the music/soundtrack is beautiful. Everything about this game is perfect. I love this game!!
  14. Apr 6, 2012
    This is one of my favourite platformer games. The game is completely open world with no loading times and has a great story. The difficulty scales up just perfectly, and the bosses are well balanced. Over all it's a unique experience I'd recommend to try out.
  15. Nov 14, 2011
    Never will you find a platformer with more charm, intuitive, diverse gameplay, well-constructed story and loveable characters. The world of Jak and Daxter is beautifully and thoughtfully designed, with each area having its own unique charm and flare, collecting all 2000 precursor orbs and all 101 Power Cells will never come close to feeling tiring, and the game never presses you into doing something you don't want to do, or forcing you to continue prematurely, you play at your own pace, Jak and Daxter will accommodate for you, also, this is one of the funniest titles you'll play on PS2, that's guaranteed Expand
  16. Jan 5, 2012
    Naughty dog, at it's best!
  17. Oct 7, 2011
    Don't listen to me if I say otherwise, this was my FAVORITE childhood game. Without a freaking doubt, a fantastic platformer, designed for kids as a slapstick comedy, and insanely fun. The story is pretty deep, the characters were good, and the dialog is humorous, if you're below the age of 8. If you've got a kid looking for a first game, this is just the best way to go. Once you finish, you'll have to go through again to try and get EVERYTHING in the whole world. It will give you so much fun, even if you don't even play it for long. It's truly a beautiful game. Expand
  18. Feb 16, 2014
    This is one of the most anonymous game i've ever played.
    Sure, Daxter is a great character but, my god, JAK is the most anonymous character in the world. Even the game itself isn't anything so wonderful. It's a nice platform (but far awaaaaaaaaaaaaay from the masterpiece Crash Bandicoot trilogy) and really annoying. Probably this is, for me, the worst game ever made by Naughty Dog. What a
    waste... Expand
  19. Nov 1, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played. I got the game years ago when it came out, and I've beaten it around ten times now. It truly is one of the best platformers of all time.
  20. Nov 1, 2011
    A well made game to say the least. Fun and I love the miniquest system. Very innovative and original. I applaud Naughty Dog for this game. A fun game to get a series going.
  21. Nov 16, 2011
    This is a really enjoyable game and the first in a trilogy of epic games. However, over time, it's reply value sort of dwindles. You will want to play this game over and over at first after you get it, but after a while, there's really not much do after you beat the game.

However, it's still enjoyable and fun to play.
  22. Nov 22, 2011
    This game is graphically beautiful, and the environments reach perfection. Daxter is a very funny sidekick, and the game gave me some good laughs. Daxter will try to do CPR or something on you when you die, and he yells like you're leaving forever. Jak is interesting, with his athletic techniques. Unfortunately, I couldn't give this game a 10 because it's fairly short and leaves you wanting more.
  23. Nov 30, 2011
    I don't understand why people give this game anything under a perfect score. I'm not worshiping the game and not trying to sound like a game developer's pet, but Naughty Dog just knows how to create quality products. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a mix of fun, adventure, and comic mischief. Although compared to the later titles, this game seems a tad light-hearted and stripped down, it is still loads of fun and gets quite difficult to beat especially if you're going for collecting every item. Overall, this is a must buy for lovers of the action platform genre; There is nothing wrong with this game. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    I love the PS2 plat formers and this is one is soaked in charm, a beautiful, slick controls and awesome plat forming. Most of the game revolves around collecting power cells in order to get to the next area so you can return Daxter back to his human form. To get power cells you have to usually do a task to get one there are 101 power cells to collect, the tasks that you need to complete are all extremely fun and varying in game play you'll be driving a speeding hover bike, riding on giant birds, fighting off lurkers and jumping your way across many different landscapes. This game looks beautiful and has aged very well mostly due to it's art style and the many interesting areas with no load screens in between that all have its own distinct fell and atmosphere. This game does have a few minor issues the biggest being the length of the story could finish this game easily in a week and the game's difficulty although it has a very good ramp is still won't be challenging enough for some gamers. Sometimes you might get a little lost in an area and a map would be great for each area, If you have a PS2 this is a must own along with it's squeals. Do not dismiss this as a kids game you will end up having some of your greatest gaming memories with Jak and Daxter. Expand
  25. Aug 22, 2012
    Best game ever! This is my favorite game! The art style is amazing! The graphics are insanely detailed. But the character models do seem to be very simple although this could be because the game is so huge. The gameplay has a lot of variety. A good number of moves and power-ups. Plus the game has 0 loading screens, which really impressed me when I was a kid. The music changes very slightly depending on where you are in the level.

Overall it's a great game!

You can get it for about £2 nowadays. SO BUY IT!
  26. Feb 21, 2013
    One of my favorite 3D platformers as a kid, and one of my favorite ps2 games, this is a classic platformer you shouldnt miss out on. Great gameplay, funny dialog and jokes, good story, awesome graphics, good music, and an overall experience that keeps you playing start to finish, and keeps you sucked in the whoel time. I really enjoy this game, and i reccommend it to any ps2 owner out there.
  27. Jan 15, 2014
    Funny game. Nothing more nothing less. It is nice to sit with her in the evenings but nothing more....................................................
  28. Nov 12, 2012
    Jak & Daxter is a great platform adventure game, that may lack in originality, but makes up for in charm, playability, and pure immersion. The plot is simple to follow, with two friends who, after getting themselves into trouble on Misty Island (Daxter gets turned into an ottsel), set out to find help in undoing their mess at the advice of Samos, only to uncover a conspiracy to flood the lands in Dark ego. The gameplay is simple, with the basic spin, punch, dive and jump being carried over from Naughty Dogs previous games, Crash Bandicoot, while also adding in some nice driving scenes and other side missions, like collecting scout flies. To progress through the game you need to collect power cells, similar to Super Mario's stars, which may be a turn off to some. The games biggest achievement however has to be its large, detailed world, full of places to explore, people to meet, things to collect and secrets to uncover, all without any load times. The game falls short however in some areas, mainly its length and replay value. It may take between 8 - 10 hours, depending on how avid a collector you are, and when you finish there is little else to do game play wise, except...collect...Though you can always pass the time running around taking in your surroundings, narrated by Daxter, your likeable, if somewhat annoying sidekick. At the end of the day, this game lives up the the hype built up around its release, and makes the most out of the PS2's engine, despite its lack of any real originality. Expand
  29. Jan 30, 2014
    It's a cool platform adventure that tells a good tale and started the Jak and Daxter series and has good acting, humor, colors and gameplay and fun while yu play through it although it is short.
  30. Jan 8, 2013
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is one of the best games ever. Gameplay is perfect, the story is great and the ending is a good "cliffhanger" to Jak II: Renegade. Cutscenes are very funny and well detailed. Locations are interesting, variable and music fits nicely to every level. Boss battles are epic, though there are just a few. It is very impressive, that there are no loading screens. Perfect game. Expand
  31. Feb 25, 2013
    My personal favorite of the Jak series to be honest. I loved the route they took with this game and it was a lot of fun to playthrough as a little kid. I still play it every once in a while, it's a lot of fun!
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is amazing, one of the best platformers of all time. The characters are really fun, especially Daxter. The gameplay is great, the story is decent (Daxter gets transformed into a combination of an otter and a weasel and so Jak and Daxter go to find a cure), the environments are really well done and the adventure is probably one the best you'll ever have.
  33. Jun 13, 2013
    This game is personally my favourite game of all time and the rest of the series .It gave a new, fun and great experience. The graphics were amazing for a ps2 game and it is a game that you would play over and over!!!!!
  34. Oct 9, 2013
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy takes many cues from other great platformers to make one of the most charming, colourful and downright enjoyable platforming titles ever made. It's very hard to fault this title, from the creative and varied level design, to the vibrant heroes, villains and supporting characters to the signature Naughty Dog soundtrack. It doesn't get much better than this. Final Score: 9.2/10 Expand
  35. Dec 21, 2013
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is one of the best platformers ever made, and it's one of the best games during its generation! It's original, unique, funny and plays great. I love that it's an open-world type of game that focuses on collecting. Normally I don't like open-world games because they generally make the player roam around with very little to do, but since this is a platformer, the whole world feels like a fun playground. The characters are great and they help you get immersed in their great fantasy adventure. Their are few minor issues I had with the game such as finicky controls and a few bad camera angles, but like I said those were minor. Another problem I had was the story telling. The game doesn't really do much to let the player know how close they are to completing the game until you kinda of just stumble into the antagonist's lair and stop them, but considering that earlier games didn't do much to tell a story; this is still a big step foward. Overall, Jak and Daxter is a great game, and anyone who ownes a PS2 or PS3 should definatly try it (maybe not on the PSVita though). Expand
  36. Mar 14, 2014
    Jak and Daxter is the game that do what nintendon't do with The Legend of Zelda. Just incridible, a game made with love and time, and is one of the most innovative of the generation. Congratulations to Sony.
  37. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely fantastic. My personal favorite platformer ever. If you wish for a great platforming experience, this is your game. I can't explain why I really like this game, its more of a you have to play it in order to understand why its good. Expand
  38. Mar 1, 2014
    This is a gaming classic filled with memorable characters, fun gameplay, and hilarious comedy. The graphics in this game were far ahead of their time!

1. One of the most thrilling games to hit PS2 since its launch.
  2. From the way the game renders an entire world that you can explore from one end to the next without a single loading screen, to animation that literally trounces anything ever seen in any videogame, to game design that keeps things interesting despite being what some would call “just a fetch quest,” this is a perfect example of the next generation in videogames.
    Simply amazing.