• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 14, 2003
8.5

1. Aug 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was a real disappointment.

I was hoping for another beautiful platformer like the last Jak game. But instead I got a poor GTA clone with no art style.

The checkpoints were stupidly placed (Which made the game frustratingly hard!!)

There are some badly made escort/race missions THAT SUCK!!

And remember how The Precursor Legacy had no loading screens?
    Well say goodbye to that!
    Every time you want to exit the city you have to wait for a slow door to open.
    (It's a kinda cleverly disguised loading screen.)

The only good thing I have to say about this game is that the story is kick-ass and deep and also the music is still pretty good.

Oh and all the boss fights are boring and repetitive (The Krew boss fight for example).

Although the last boss fight was pretty good.
  2. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I tried to like this game, as much as I could. It got to the point where I couldn't continue to force myself to play this game. This game is almost like a GTA knock off and I absolutely hate it. Many would disagree with me, but hear me out.

The first game was a Action-Adventure Platformer where you seek for powercells and acquire them through various trades and challenges. The objective was liner and straight forward, go north in search of Gaul (However his name is spelt) and attempt to change Daxter back. The ending of the first game lead to a door that led to a cliffhanger for the next squeal. The game was absolutely beautiful and loved every minute of it.

At the beginning of Jak II, you are given the opening cut scene of what is a giant ring with no explanation of it. Jak presses a button and is mysteriously attacked by a 3-eyed rhino of a monster which then leads to Jak, Daxter, the Green Sage, and Kaira (Again, not entirely sure of the spelling) off into what is a rift gate and are separated. Jak and Daxter are transported to a city which Jak gets captured and is submitted to Dark Eco injections for the next 2 years. Daxter breaks Jak out, and you are sent into the city of Haven.

The first thing I noticed during the tutorial was that the sound effects of Jaks jumps weren't of him from the first game. Next, Jak can transformed into some sort of super being of dark eco and is sent upon the city. After, you are greeted by some prick who never tells you his name and is sent mission after mission to some place without any story progress; at least I felt like there was none.

A broken game feature was the checkpoint system; yes, its Effing broken. You could be more than 75% done with the mission, but if you die sorry. Go back to square one with the same amount of ammo that you had from where you died. Oh yeah, you're given an Effing gun.

Instead of being an Action-Adventure, Naughty Dog decided to say "Hey! Lets switch genres and turn it into a shooter! All the kids love shooters!" Yeah, not the kids who played the first game. This game turned into a shooter with very little platforming. And for the very little platforming you can do, they also decided to say "screw barriers and invisible walls! If you fall out of the map! Tough luck! Back to square one!"

Hover cars are another broken feature in this game due to how weak like paper mache they are. 3 hits into some object and bye bye car; it doesn't make it easy if theres another hover car 2 feet away from you and everywhere. For the racing mission in 3 minutes, freaking impossible! I kept my car running and I still couldn't make it no matter how many different routes I took.

These are my problems with Jak II. The game is utterly horrible. If you've played the first game, stick to the first game please. You're not missing much. If you really want to know the story, go look up on youtube or where ever if you want to know that bad. But it's seriously not worth your money.

1. It’s undoubtedly a bold (if not brazen) attempt to entertain, and while Gamestyle found itself striving to collect every last item from the first title, it is hard to see the same happening with this one. Which leaves its technical achievements looking rather muted.
  2. I was hooked on the gameplay and the story of Jak II almost immediately and my addiction and love of the game hasn’t subsided weeks later. Jak II is, without question, one of the finest gaming experiences I’ve ever had.
  3. Naughty Dog's expansion of Jak and Daxter's world to include different forms of gameplay has been seamless, and should open up their adventures to those who find the very concept of platform games anathema.