Jak II PlayStation 2

8.1

1. LiamD.
    Oct 23, 2007
    I personally think that this is the worst game of the three. This game in particular focuses way too much around missions. It's the intent of the game, as I have noticed, but sometimes it's just too much to do mission after mission after mission in the same grungy, dark, ugly city for 6 hours, only to be given more. Doesn't live up to the high standards that the Precursor I personally think that this is the worst game of the three. This game in particular focuses way too much around missions. It's the intent of the game, as I have noticed, but sometimes it's just too much to do mission after mission after mission in the same grungy, dark, ugly city for 6 hours, only to be given more. Doesn't live up to the high standards that the Precursor Legacy set it up for. Expand
  2. FrodoB.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Now, let's start with, "Why i didn't give this game 10". Well, it's because of the hugely annoying missions where you repeatedly start again due to minor mistakes. The rest blew me away. Wonderful humor like, "Remind me not to piss you off!" by Daxter. Graphics are nothing special, gameplay wonderful, music and sounds take a new level from the prequal. The story starts from Now, let's start with, "Why i didn't give this game 10". Well, it's because of the hugely annoying missions where you repeatedly start again due to minor mistakes. The rest blew me away. Wonderful humor like, "Remind me not to piss you off!" by Daxter. Graphics are nothing special, gameplay wonderful, music and sounds take a new level from the prequal. The story starts from where the prequal left off.Jak still won't talk, but when you get to the (spoilers) part where jak's tortured with dark echo, he finally says his first words, "I'm going to kill Praxis!" referring to the torturer, the lord of Haven city, in the future. Get ready for some solid gameplay. Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2011
    Fortunately, the maturity of Jak II does include some fun. Pros: Fantastic graphics; variety of gameplay and weapons; fair voice acting and character designs; lengthier than the first game. Cons: A somewhat dull storyline set in a somewhat dull world; cheesy dialog; hideous soundtrack.
  4. May 22, 2011
    Naughty Dog's sequel to the stunning Jak and Daxter lacks the charm of the first game, partly because of its slightly imbalanced transfer to the "Teen" rating. However, Jak II still offers some solid platforming and action-adventure elements. Pros: Excellent graphics, control, camera, and sound; no loading screens; variety of weapons to play with and missions to conquer. Cons: Unoriginal;Naughty Dog's sequel to the stunning Jak and Daxter lacks the charm of the first game, partly because of its slightly imbalanced transfer to the "Teen" rating. However, Jak II still offers some solid platforming and action-adventure elements. Pros: Excellent graphics, control, camera, and sound; no loading screens; variety of weapons to play with and missions to conquer. Cons: Unoriginal; generally ugly characters and level design; a bit of a lousy attempt at transferring the series to a mature setting; sappy dialogue. Expand
    Jan 4, 2004
    It was a great game at first but my file got erased really easily. ERR!!!!!!!!
  6. Guru3D
    Oct 28, 2003
    Good graphic but still lacks in the user interface control......sometimes low frametes during facing with huge soldier... STILL needs a lot of improvement.... if compare to MAXIMO...the game are not selectable choice to buy.
  7. ToddW.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Not as good as the first, going through the city is tiresome and it is a very dark game as opposed to the very scenic first title. Feels like another GTA rip off.
  8. Mar 11, 2012
    This game should be shortlisted for worst sequel of all time. The first Jak & Daxter game is a masterpiece, and to follow it up with this crap is offensive. In the first game, our protagonist Jak is silent throughout the entire game, and this worked really well when coupled with his hyper active partner, Daxter. However, in this game, they gave him a voice. And now he feels like aThis game should be shortlisted for worst sequel of all time. The first Jak & Daxter game is a masterpiece, and to follow it up with this crap is offensive. In the first game, our protagonist Jak is silent throughout the entire game, and this worked really well when coupled with his hyper active partner, Daxter. However, in this game, they gave him a voice. And now he feels like a completely different character. I understand why he has had a complete overhaul, but the reason why he has had a complete overhaul shouldn't even be a part of the game. This is nothing like the first one. This is like a heavily watered down Grand Theft Auto. Naughty Dog made vehicles a huge part of this game. It's a shame they clearly don't know how vehicles should work in video games. They're a complete nightmare to control, and what makes it worse is that you need to master the terrible vehicles in order to progress in the story!

The only positives I can take from this game is that the introduction of guns made it more fun (more Ratchet & Clank-esque) and that while the story ruined what was a perfectly good mascot for the PS2 era, it was still entertaining and unpredictable. I love Naughty Dog. Hopefully they never screw up another series as badly as they did the Jak & Daxter one.
  9. May 28, 2012
    Good game but hard as hell.
  10. G.adams
    Nov 5, 2004
    Some may call it a GTA rip off, so would i. Its odd that your stealing cars (that are as fun as driving mrs daisy) and you have to do GTA type missions, that involve driving these real WACK cars with terrible controle. graphics are good. cut scenes are done well. But i felt the game got really repetitive. go but "GTA:vice city" or "ratchet and clank" instead.
  11. Sep 25, 2012
    Heres the problem with jak 2. they changed too much it feels like grand theft auto. but a very horrible version of grand theft auto. the game feels more like a chore to play, and its really difficult and frustrating at some points(The part at the docks where you have to fight a buttload of krimson guards, which was a real pain in my a$$). there was also no proper way to use your weaponsHeres the problem with jak 2. they changed too much it feels like grand theft auto. but a very horrible version of grand theft auto. the game feels more like a chore to play, and its really difficult and frustrating at some points(The part at the docks where you have to fight a buttload of krimson guards, which was a real pain in my a$$). there was also no proper way to use your weapons which added to the frustration. In Ratchet and Clank going commando (a perfect game) you do not experience any of these problems. The original Jak and daxter is a great game. get that and not this mess. Expand
  12. Oct 9, 2013
    What went wrong? Jak II is more of a third person shooter crossed with GTA type game, rather than the fantastic platformer the first game was, and while neither of these things are bad, Jak II simply doesn't do either of these things well enough. The level design is tedious, the combat is clunky, checkpoints are infrequent and the difficulty is poorly tuned. Jak is now an angsty longWhat went wrong? Jak II is more of a third person shooter crossed with GTA type game, rather than the fantastic platformer the first game was, and while neither of these things are bad, Jak II simply doesn't do either of these things well enough. The level design is tedious, the combat is clunky, checkpoints are infrequent and the difficulty is poorly tuned. Jak is now an angsty long haired teen with anger issues, almost completely unlikable as a character redeemed only by the Ottsel on his shoulder (who, thankfully, hasn't changed one iota). Jak II should have been better, but it's just too agonizing to struggle though, and marks a terrible change of direction for the franchise. Final Score: 5.4/10 Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2013
    This game is more boring, more frustrating and larger than the first game, and the little more interesting story cannot overcome the shame this game is in comparison with the first Jak.

Shame on you, naughty dog

1. It’s undoubtedly a bold (if not brazen) attempt to entertain, and while Gamestyle found itself striving to collect every last item from the first title, it is hard to see the same happening with this one. Which leaves its technical achievements looking rather muted.
  2. I was hooked on the gameplay and the story of Jak II almost immediately and my addiction and love of the game hasn’t subsided weeks later. Jak II is, without question, one of the finest gaming experiences I’ve ever had.
  3. Naughty Dog's expansion of Jak and Daxter's world to include different forms of gameplay has been seamless, and should open up their adventures to those who find the very concept of platform games anathema.