• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 18, 2005
8.2

1. Nov 19, 2011
    In the same way Crash Team Racing (the fourth Crash Bandicoot Game) was a stellar spin-off competitive racer, Jak X (the fourth Jak & Daxter Game) wraps up Naughty Dog's share of J+D with true skill that only they have ever managed (how many spin-offs are ever as good as the original games? Until Naughty Dog came around, none). The racing is fast and intense, the number of vehicles and customisation options rival those of real racing sims and the actual "combat" side of the racing is brilliantly intuitive and very reminiscent of CTR, which is definitely a good thing, the most notable similarity is the upgrading of weapons through collecting dark eco (much like CTR did with Whumpa Fruit). As far as the story goes, its a let down coming straight out of the J+D trilogy, but it suits the subject matter well and brings back all of the characters and locations we know and love from the original titles, as well as much appreciated nods to previous events from said titles. A brilliant game that fans of the originals and newbies alike will love and a smashing send-off for Naughty Dog, we miss you D': Collapse
  2. Dec 3, 2011
    I have always told myself that no game deserves a 0. But this game....this game deserves a 0. How can you get to the good aspects of a game when it constantly freezes and corrupts your saved data? Thus causing you to lose everything you have done in it and start anew. Sure the game may be worth a 6 or 7 if this bug never occurred but how can you get to that gameplay if you can't even load a **** race? You can't. And this game deserves to be down there with Duke Nukem Forever and the other pieces of trash developers have pushed out to us. Expand
  3. Jan 9, 2013
    Naughty Dog made the same thing, that they made with Crash Bandicoot: the fourth game is a racing game. Jak X isn't as good as CTR, but it is still a fun game. It has the best story of racing games history. I give minus for repetitious and AI. It is stupid, that the other racers always comes to the finish within 15 seconds after you. But for a spin-off it is a good game.
  4. Feb 9, 2011
    well first of all this is not a jak game!!! it is ok but it just doesn't cut it as jak. after the great jak 3 i was disapointed with this one. it is a fun racer/action but if you like jak this isn't for you. it's for racing game fans. so a 6 is fitting because it was fun but it didn't cut it.
  5. Apr 29, 2011
    Poorly mimmicks kart racing games before it, but adds a lot of maturity. Pros: Fantastic graphics; lengthy single-player mode; variety of combat options; online mode. Cons: Awkward controls; lacks originality; was Jak X: Combat Racing really necessary?
  6. Mar 25, 2011
    I have to admit, I did play this for a while and I liked it then I did realize it was a cheap spin-off. Its great for real racers, but I liked the platformer Jaks.
  7. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is really more for either racing fans who loved the racing parts of the Jak series, or people who like filler, because that's all this game really is: useless filler. The races and other racing challenges get extremely annoying at times. I only rated this game a 6 because it had its moments at times.
  8. May 22, 2014
    Jak X isn't a bad game by any means, it's just not as good as the previous three installments. It's actually often very clever and funny. I just wish the game didn't involve racing or a plot involving poison.
  9. Nov 19, 2011

1. It's been too long since we had a great vehicular combat game, and Jak X delivers some rollicking good multiplayer fun. It just lacks the flair needed to make it a must-buy. [Dec 2005, p.101]
  2. The gameplay variety wasn't always necessary but is a welcome change for the genre – a few more changes with the inevitable Jak X sequel and they could form a new sub-genre.
    A healthy collection of on and offline modes and a very satisfying story build real value for the title, but the actual play can sometimes feel a bit lifeless and often suffers from spontaneous swings.