Katamari Damacy PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Namco
  • Release Date: Sep 21, 2004
9.0

1. Jun 10, 2014
    Otro de mis juegos favoritos, tanto el concepto, como la imagen pero sobre todo por la música. Su simplicidad de manejo así como las posibilidades que presenta lo convierten en un clásico que todo el mundo debería probar.
  2. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game appeals to a person on such a basal level that the game can be both challenging and accessible at the same time. The graphics are basic, seemingly from a generation BACK, but it quickly becomes obvious why when in later levels, you start at a size of 4cm and grow large enough to pull up crustal plates!

Not since 'Jumping Flash' have I played something so bizarre and so incredible.

...and the music. My god.

Stellar, absolutely stellar. Highest Possible Recommendation.
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    Even though it's not the most innovative, Katamari Damacy is certainly one of the most unique games of 2004. Pros: Stylish gameplay; lavish colors; varied level design; wonderfully weird characters. Cons: Quirky controls and camera angles; short; limited multi-player mode.
  4. WhyNot?
    Feb 19, 2009
    Chalk this one up for "Most Innovative Game Made While High". (Note: The makers probably weren't high, but still.) You are the two-inch-tall Prince of All Cosmos. Your father, the King, goes on a bender one night and ends up destroying all of the stars -- and it's your responsibility to get them back in the sky. (What a father, eh?) You do this by rolling a "katamari", a giantChalk this one up for "Most Innovative Game Made While High". (Note: The makers probably weren't high, but still.) You are the two-inch-tall Prince of All Cosmos. Your father, the King, goes on a bender one night and ends up destroying all of the stars -- and it's your responsibility to get them back in the sky. (What a father, eh?) You do this by rolling a "katamari", a giant spiked ball with extreme adhesive qualities. While rolling the katamari, it grows bigger by picking up "vaulting boxes, pencils, erasers, postcards, ramen, robots, cows, sheep, this girl, that boy, moms and dads, bicycles, motorbikes, homes, buildings, rainbows, clouds, islands, hopes and dreams", as the sequel puts it. As you roll them up, the katamari gets bigger and bigger -- and once you reach a certain size, level cleared! But watch out, as there is a time limit. Once time runs out, if you've cleared the level, the katamari is sent up and turned into a star. The environments vary from one objective to the next -- inside a house, within town limits, or around the world. There is also a two-player mode, where two of the royal cousins face off to see who's better at rolling stuff up. The gameplay is innovative, the soundtrack has a huge variety, and there is no shortage of hidden humor. The graphics may seem limited, but they only add to the effect of the game, and at $20 (perhaps even less now), it is a great value title. My only wish is that the game would be just a bit longer -- and that I had whatever the makers were using when they made this game. (Just kidding.) I give Katamari Damacy a 91/100. Collapse
  5. NeshimiAce
    Aug 11, 2008
    Awesome game. i'll admit it has retched graphics, but the playability and fun this game provides is amazing! many many hours can be spent perfecting each and every level without losing any entertainment value. The most fun I've had on the PS2 in years! and the weirdness and quirkiness add to the fun. after your first hour, your sides will hurt!!
  6. HarryPotterk.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This game has no meening to you roll stuff around.no fun realy. the guy has a butt chin. it sell for too much. the graphics are ok but this game realy sucks. waste of time and money.
  7. RistoA.
    Jan 18, 2007
    Excellent game and suitable for just about anyone. Something else than shooting and violence for a change.
  8. VictoriaB.
    Jan 17, 2007
    A great game graphics are a bit weird but thats what makes it fun. Different style making it a riot for anyone to play.
  9. DevinC.
    Nov 24, 2006
    I think its a very intertaining game, it may not have the best storyline, but when it comes to just the point of the game (rolling things up) Its really fun. No matter who you are. The graphics aren't that great, but good enough to notice what things are.
  10. TylerJ.
    Apr 7, 2006
    I think Its the BEST game I've ever played!
  11. HaterofK.
    Mar 28, 2006
    This is by far the worst game of all time. Anyone who likes to play this game needs to get a life and grow up, unless your a kid and then I can see that you would like this. It has the worst music of anything I have ever heard and the characters are so freaking retarded they make me want to hurt someone. If I could I would flat out slap the creator in the face.
  12. SM
    Jan 17, 2006
    I wonder if the moron who gave the game a 2 ever played it? Not enough blood, not enough violence? Give me a break. This is just an honestly good game. It doesn't need flashy graphics and realistic violence to compensate for the fact that you're doing the same thing over and over again since what you're doing is fun and amusing inof itself.

The gameplay is

The gameplay is unsurpassed, the soundtrack great (and amusing). The king of all cosmos will keep you laughing with his constant slew of insults.
    You're meant to have FUN playing this game. It may not be appropriate for Mountain Dew drinking ExTrEmE GamErZ, who are just looking for another game to 0wn.

Excuse my sarcasm, I hope you all take it good humor! :)
  13. RichardW.
    Dec 18, 2005
    Worth every penny! Anyone who dismisses the hardcore fun this game brings is simply too prejudiced against any game that isn't an M rated first person shooter to be a real gamer. Never gets old!
  14. David
    Aug 26, 2005
    Great. Buy it, so cheap you can't lose. I don't know what Ed B. is smoking.
  15. EdB.
    Aug 23, 2005
    How people can rate this garbage high I dont know. They rate manhunt and suffering under 70 but this crap is almost 90??? Rolling around a ball...please ...garbage.
  16. KevinC.
    Aug 13, 2005
    It's fun, addicting, interesting.. Must try it out.. love the soundtrack.
  17. MattW.
    Jul 23, 2005
    Brilliant! It's good to see video game companies putting on their imagination caps again. You're a fool if you don't pick this up for the cheap $20 it costs.
  18. VladimírS.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Za úchylnou prezentací se skrývá skv?lá logická hra!
    Jun 21, 2005
    For a game that looks like it's made by and for people on crack, this is a really fun as hell game to play, plus it has plenty of challenge in it including the moon level where you need to roll up every damn thing you see in only 30 minutes. Awsome game, awesome story, awsome chance of being addicted, the only thing that made me put it down was that I was sleepy.
  20. AnnaM.
    Jun 20, 2005
    A great game with tremendous replay value. Its so weird and wonky, you cant find another game like it. For those who like mindless fun. You can play it for only 10 minutes, or go hours long. Something which you will be returning to every week, just because its so fun.
  21. BobP.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Katamari Damacy is the most relaxing and fun game I've played in a long time. It's also the best $20 I ever spent on a videogame! I can't wait for the sequel "We Love Katamari"!
  22. Ryan
    Apr 10, 2005
    The music and gameplay rock!
  23. SmurfBored
    Feb 15, 2005
    The Smurfs told me to vote a 10 of 10.
  24. Wongit
    Feb 5, 2005
    Incredible, the best kind of game for $20. its tottaly worth it and its extremely fun.
  25. GeorgeC.
    Jan 18, 2005
    Weirdest game I've ever played... And enjoying every minute of it.
  26. JamalB.
    Jan 8, 2005
    I recently picked this up. Simply amazing. Tons of replay value. Must complete my collection.
  27. Sakuya
    Dec 31, 2004
    LoL I can't believe how good this game is. ~.~ it's almost too good. Only problem I have with it is that its so short. I finished the whole game in under 6 hours. Oh well it has a high replay value so that makes up for its shortness. Only other annoying part is getting caught on a stair or between something and wasting presious moments to break free. Great game and awsome music. LoL I can't believe how good this game is. ~.~ it's almost too good. Only problem I have with it is that its so short. I finished the whole game in under 6 hours. Oh well it has a high replay value so that makes up for its shortness. Only other annoying part is getting caught on a stair or between something and wasting presious moments to break free. Great game and awsome music. I can't wait for part 2 to come out in the spring. Expand
  28. JamesB.
    Dec 27, 2004
    My wife quit talking to me after I purchased this game for the kids at Christmas. Quit talking to me because she hasn't stopped playing it for a minute. Now the whole family hums the tunes to the game. Great fun!
  29. Fighter17
    Dec 25, 2004
    One ball, pick up anything you what, you are happy. Get this game right now.
  30. KarenD.
    Dec 16, 2004
    It's the cutest little thing that you ever did see.
  31. SeanP.
    Dec 8, 2004
    The best game to come out this year but I did beat it with great marks one day into it but its been two weeks and I still go back to it. Just wish there was more to do.
  32. BrendanC.
    Dec 6, 2004
    This game is hilarious, i have been singing the songs ever since i got the game. Bill A, how can you say that this game is not innovative! show me a game where a 5cm alien rolls katamaris around earth in attempt to recreate the stars.
  33. AB
    Nov 1, 2004
    This game is awesome, but ugly (sort of like Marilyn Manson). But what could be more than rolling a wierd ball around and catching things on it? Nothing.
  34. AdamJ.
    Oct 20, 2004
    I bought this game after reading good reviews on this site. It's the most fun game I've played in a long time. [Ed: nice....] It's a short game, but I can't stop replaying levels trying to do better. Amazing that it's under $20.
  35. BillA.
    Sep 27, 2004
    This game is the Bomb as puzzle games for the PS2 goes, it's not exceptionally innovative but the gameplay is such that you cannot put it down and that funky music will have you humming the stuff all day long. For 20 bucks, you cannot go wrong with this game, Leave it to the Japanese to think of something is quirky and downright fun. Mister Mosquito was fun too but this tops even This game is the Bomb as puzzle games for the PS2 goes, it's not exceptionally innovative but the gameplay is such that you cannot put it down and that funky music will have you humming the stuff all day long. For 20 bucks, you cannot go wrong with this game, Leave it to the Japanese to think of something is quirky and downright fun. Mister Mosquito was fun too but this tops even that. I have not seen ONE BAD REVIEW on this game, pick it up and try it and you'll see why. Expand
  36. RussellJ.
    Sep 24, 2004
    Best game since Tetris!
  37. RafaelF.
    Jul 23, 2004
    The game is a bundle of joy! It makes me laugh, the music is great and best of all it's freakin' great to play! Import, import, import and import this game. You won't regret it!
  38. PanchoE.
    May 22, 2004
    Bizarre, crazy sh.t, but I had the best time with this game. Import it. Trust me.

1. Go buy this friggin' game. Now. Reward Namco for having the balls to put out something this... well, Japanese. For $20, you're getting one hell of a party game.
  2. The game has an amazing energy and great joy. Its unfettered creativity is astounding, and this is where Katamari truly excels. [Nov 2004, p.110]
  3. As a total package, Katamari Damacy is one of the most original, imaginative, and purely entertaining games to come along in years.