8.8

1. Hellboy
    Nov 4, 2004
    Man One Of The Best Games I've Played Ever And Not Just Disney But Also Final Fantasy Characters In Here Too Im Just Speachless About This Game Its So Tight.
  2. Uter
    Apr 28, 2004
    I like the disney themes, but come on. This game is is seriously unexciting. It's more square table scraps.
  3. NielsM.
    Aug 12, 2004
    The magic of this game is overwelming,when I first played this game I was very enthousiastic about the mix of disney and final fantasy,this game is a true masterpiece.This game gives a 20 hours fun gameplay of the highest level, go buy this pearl!!!!
  4. AdamE.
    Sep 27, 2004
    This game was the best i can"t wait till the next one comes out i have looked every for the trailer.
  5. HannahL.
    Oct 31, 2005
    This is such a WONDERFUL game, I love it. Such beautiful colors. I've never seen such colors in my life. Love the characters, love the story, and love the gameplay. BUT, it's very confusing at times. Overall, FANTASTIC!! I wish I could give it a 10, but it has to be a 9 because it's so confusing!
  6. MarkA.
    Nov 2, 2006
    This game was so boring I couldn't even finish it. Total waste of money.
  7. AdamC.
    Apr 11, 2006
    this game is the greatest game of all time and its ridiculous that it got only and 85...but the irony is that the critics are all old 40 year-old "heartless" guys who can't see past a wacky camera and excesive enemies and take in the powerful storyline and compelling characters.
  8. LarryL.
    Aug 22, 2007
    The best thing ever to gaming history, its really fun, and a clever mix of ff and disney characters, as childish as it might seem, people of all ages would like this game.
  9. AnonymousMC
    Feb 22, 2008
    I just bought hte game about two weeks ago, yeh how late am I, but I first played Kingdom hearts chain of memories on the gba and i freakin' loved it so when i got my PS2 the first game I bought was Kingdom Hearts and I like it even though I hate the way they made the colesium and how hard it is to beat Yuffi and Leon but I still love the game and when Iam finished with this oneI just bought hte game about two weeks ago, yeh how late am I, but I first played Kingdom hearts chain of memories on the gba and i freakin' loved it so when i got my PS2 the first game I bought was Kingdom Hearts and I like it even though I hate the way they made the colesium and how hard it is to beat Yuffi and Leon but I still love the game and when Iam finished with this one I'm going to get Kingdom Hearts 2 and hopefully I will like it just as much as I like the first one, HEM! Expand
  10. LukeR.
    Nov 13, 2002
    This game is the best adventure game since Zelda! The Story, graphics, gameplay, voices, and batlle system are 10 out of 10.
  11. RoanD.
    Dec 17, 2002
    Although Square are already well known in the field for innovative game play, inventive characters and well developed plot lines, Disney have frequently failed to impress the games market with thier limited games based on single movies. The decision to team up with Square was unusual but commendable. Kingdom Hearts takes the assets of both comapnies and amalgamates them into a visually Although Square are already well known in the field for innovative game play, inventive characters and well developed plot lines, Disney have frequently failed to impress the games market with thier limited games based on single movies. The decision to team up with Square was unusual but commendable. Kingdom Hearts takes the assets of both comapnies and amalgamates them into a visually stunning, well plotted game spanning a wealth of age groups and backgrounds as no game has done since Zelda on the 64. Of particular interest is the use of many Disney locations, and teh re-emergance of Square's Final Fantasy favourites in new guises. Of all the games I have played this year, Kingdom Hearts has surpassed all and filled me with an obssession to play that I have not felt since the launch of FF7 so very long ago. Expand
  12. MattA.
    Dec 24, 2002
    At first when my mom bought it for christmas I was very skeptical about wanting it. I mean how fun would a 16 year old think a disney game is, and also i was never into Final Fantasy. But now after reading all the reviews and comments, I am pretty stoked on recieving this gift tomorrow. I hope it lives up to everybodys' word.
  13. RyanM.
    Dec 29, 2002
    An immensely entertaining, hours-on-end, fully flourished game that, if I may say so myself, is the game of the year.
  14. AbeG.
    Nov 28, 2003
    People underestimate this game but that's not true. Awesome gameplay, mixed with mindblowing graphics, set this game amongst the greats.
  15. RileyI.
    Dec 22, 2004
    Best game i ever had.
  16. Sep 23, 2010
    The crossing of Square's Eastern RPG sensibilities with the magic of Disney results in a charming and most enjoyable journey to save your friends, your world, and the universe itself.
  17. Dec 16, 2010
    This game should not work and probably shouldn't have sold so many copies. Its just mad that this got through. Until you play it and get sucked in. All lets go through this and cover all the bases I can. Plot: You really wouldn't believe me because its Japanese. Its not racism (at least, not intentionally) but to a tiny-minded westerner like myself, this stuff is bonkers. After waking upThis game should not work and probably shouldn't have sold so many copies. Its just mad that this got through. Until you play it and get sucked in. All lets go through this and cover all the bases I can. Plot: You really wouldn't believe me because its Japanese. Its not racism (at least, not intentionally) but to a tiny-minded westerner like myself, this stuff is bonkers. After waking up from a strange dream, Sora and his friends - Riku and Kiari - plan to get away from their still lives on a tropical island in the Destiny Islands. To do this, they build a raft. This all gets kicked in the head when Riku opens a portal of darkness (because anything else wouldn't be reckless or hard enough), sucking him, Sora and the rest of the Island with it. Sora lands somewhere new with a new weapon, the legendary Keyblade. He must find his friends and solve the mysteries surrounding his new weapon. That's the simplified version. There is so much more stuff in there to fry your brain and its fantastically presented. I've left out the games own spirituality because I'll sound like a lunatic. The word 'heart' is used to much, it might actually be being used as punctuation. It's a little nuts to a westerner but in a good way. While the inclusion of Final Fantasy VII characters is nice because its a J-RPG with all this pseudo-spirituality mushiness, some players may be turned off. Others maybe turned off further by the Disney characters running around. All the characters are written quite authentically but they all appear to have been affected by Square Enix's presence. Even the colourful Disney characters have hints of the same unrealistic hollowness that seems to effect Final Fantasy characters when Square removed a portion of their emotions. But, the characters still have their charms, it just depends on which you are in the company off. Jack Skeleton is the agreed high point with Pooh and Ursula actually having any real appeal. Gameplay: This is odd. Kingdom Hearts looked at the RPG norm but then screwed in hack and slash elements instead. This does actually work quite well as a basher of the RPG norm. If you can't be bothered to fight, there is a chance you can escape without being killed by simply running away. If you were ever annoyed with randomly missing in Turn-based RPG's then Kingdom Hearts challenges you to catch the git yourself. Want to hit someone? Push X. No need to let the computer do anything. If you do, simply mash the X button like a manic woodpecker, you run the risk of constant attack so you can gain extra moves to pull to avoid and defend against attacks. Avoiding works well but defending requires practice. Otherwise, a normal RPG but be warned. This game might look cute and cuddly but its difficulty curve is there to make you think otherwise. It can be pretty nasty and does require some grinding for some of those massive bosses. Although, not all the bosses are massive. The developers must have realised that a normal sized boss is just as, if not more of a threat than a larger one. Asthetics: It looks lovely more or less through out. Its bright, colourful and appealing. Overall: Very good. Agreed, Disney characters aren't always the best to hang around with but its good but to smack Yuffie in the face with a massive key. Didn't I mention that? Expand
  18. Feb 16, 2011
    Probably the most underrated PS2 game of all time, along with it's sequel, Kingdom Hearts is a phenomenal game. Interesting and new RPG mechanics mixed with splendid graphics and gameplay make it stand out but it is the story that will entice you. Following Sora's quest to save his friends becomes entertaining, heart-warming, beautiful, sinister and quite frankly, brilliant. Until KingdomProbably the most underrated PS2 game of all time, along with it's sequel, Kingdom Hearts is a phenomenal game. Interesting and new RPG mechanics mixed with splendid graphics and gameplay make it stand out but it is the story that will entice you. Following Sora's quest to save his friends becomes entertaining, heart-warming, beautiful, sinister and quite frankly, brilliant. Until Kingdom Hearts 3 is released (any day now), there will never be another game like this again. Expand
  19. Apr 11, 2011
    Kingdom Hearts will more or less appeal to the older demographic than its target Disney audience. Pros: An unexpectedly perfect blend of Disney and Square, solid action RPG gameplay, and glossy soundtrack. Cons: Hit or miss visuals and a bit over-complex storyline.
  20. Mar 26, 2011
    Kingdom Hearts is probably one of the most unkown and underrated games on the Playstation 2. I have both Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 and play them all the time, you definitely have to buy this game.
  21. May 22, 2011
    Final Fantasy and RPG lovers have fallen in love with Kingdom Hearts, a surprising, but entirely unique collaboration between Square Enix and Disney. Pros: Beautiful visuals; innovative battle system; lots of Disney worlds to explore; fantastic soundtrack. Cons: The story may be too confusing or melodramatic for some to follow; boring gummi ship sequences; quirky camera.
  22. May 23, 2011
    THIS IS A GREAT GAME you need to buy this game it's fun and lasts for months and the people who gave it a low score because it's hard aren't the best gamers it's hard somtimes which is a very good thing, BUY IT NOW!!!
  23. Sep 17, 2011
    I can't keep track of how many times I've played this. I've even made my own strategy guide, not that I need one. I love visiting all the different Disney movies, I think the only bad thing I would say is I wish they included more! I also love that they managed to rally together almost all the original voice actors to all these movies.
  24. Dec 1, 2011
    Now I have to admit, whenever I hear about a new Kingdom Hearts game, I go mental (except for Kingdom Hearts 365 1/2 Days). When I first got this game, I thought it was one of those games that wasn't getting that much hype and wasn't fun to play, but I was way, WAY wrong. Kingdom Hearts is a great RPG, but not the same type that you would expect from something like The Witcher 2, with allNow I have to admit, whenever I hear about a new Kingdom Hearts game, I go mental (except for Kingdom Hearts 365 1/2 Days). When I first got this game, I thought it was one of those games that wasn't getting that much hype and wasn't fun to play, but I was way, WAY wrong. Kingdom Hearts is a great RPG, but not the same type that you would expect from something like The Witcher 2, with all of the swords, medieval like worlds and girls. Kingdom Hearts still has a lot of collecting. There's collecting key-chains, collecting new and more powerful weapons for your companions, Donald and Goofy to use, and collecting blocks in space missions, Kingdom Hearts is still an RPG and a great one too. The game also has the perfect amount of challenge, even after having this game for a few years now, I still haven't beaten the last boss. Fail, yes I know. The only thing I think they should improve on, is the combat, you'll mainly be pressing the attack button for most of the game, but when you get near the end of the game, you start to get some really awesome stuff. Expand
  25. Nov 18, 2011
    Incredible RPG-Action game made by Squareenix featuring the beloved Squareenix and Disney characters all in the same universe fighting against the evil heartless who threaten to destroy their world. This game contains old classic disney characters, their worlds and the music as playable stages. You take the role of Sora who team up with Donald and Goofy to save the worlds from theIncredible RPG-Action game made by Squareenix featuring the beloved Squareenix and Disney characters all in the same universe fighting against the evil heartless who threaten to destroy their world. This game contains old classic disney characters, their worlds and the music as playable stages. You take the role of Sora who team up with Donald and Goofy to save the worlds from the heartless. Storyline, Music, Graphics all perfect score bundled with incredible gameplay and nostalgia. Expand
  26. Dec 26, 2011
    The first game I ever own with the first gaming system I ever own. The score I give this game is mostly based on the fond memory I had as a kid playing this game. Its the games you play as a kid that is the most memorable with the most impact. I won't review this game critically since my judgement will be biased based on the fact its the first game I ever own. But I'm sure even if I neverThe first game I ever own with the first gaming system I ever own. The score I give this game is mostly based on the fond memory I had as a kid playing this game. Its the games you play as a kid that is the most memorable with the most impact. I won't review this game critically since my judgement will be biased based on the fact its the first game I ever own. But I'm sure even if I never played this game before and just picked it up yesterday I'll still find it very enjoyable. Expand
  27. Dec 29, 2011
    Played this game for the first time 10 years after it was made. The greatest game I've ever played. Great simple story, loving characters, great voice acting. Everything you could ask for.
  28. Mar 16, 2012
    A fantastic start to a franchise. Square pulls all the stops for this great Action-RPG: great story, great settings, fluid (if somewhat simple) battle system, and fantastic PS2-era graphics. The story is one of the best of the PS2 and perfectly sets up its line of sequels. It does have it's problems, though. The camera is very flawed, the abilities don't have much of an effect compared toA fantastic start to a franchise. Square pulls all the stops for this great Action-RPG: great story, great settings, fluid (if somewhat simple) battle system, and fantastic PS2-era graphics. The story is one of the best of the PS2 and perfectly sets up its line of sequels. It does have it's problems, though. The camera is very flawed, the abilities don't have much of an effect compared to the later games, and some oddly corny writing in some of the Disney worlds that are more filler than advancing the plot. Overall, its a solid, very fun RPG that pulls off its premise with flying colors. Expand
  29. May 27, 2012
    An Amazing game and one of my favorite games of all time! Disney and Square Enix characters together??!! What better combo than that! I always wanted to play a game with my childhood favorite characters in it...and this game does it the best. You feel like this world is a real world with real danger. And your favorite characters are real too! You want to see them get thru their ordeal!
  30. Jun 9, 2012
    A great, fun game. The story is fun and enjoyable and the combat is pretty good. The gummi ship and camera are kinda meh but overall its one of the best PS2 games.
  31. Sep 21, 2012
    Fantastic game and story line but as in most new B-games it has a few downsides.
    Pros: Good graphs, Nostalgic story but still very cheesy and childish. YOu actually need to block instead of just mash your buttons. Good music, Gameplay works.
    Cons: Bad voice acting, Camera are a bit difficult to handle, characters are a little to lolita but otherwise a great game
  32. Sep 1, 2013
    This is my favorite video game of all time. I have beaten the game over ten times and it still never gets old or boring. what makes it such a good game is how.it has disney character s mixed.in with final fantasy. The game also has a lot of emotion and a lot heart breaking moments making it have a good story line. any one into magic, upgrades, hearts, weapons, love, disney, or finalThis is my favorite video game of all time. I have beaten the game over ten times and it still never gets old or boring. what makes it such a good game is how.it has disney character s mixed.in with final fantasy. The game also has a lot of emotion and a lot heart breaking moments making it have a good story line. any one into magic, upgrades, hearts, weapons, love, disney, or final fantasy will love this game. Expand
  33. Dec 10, 2014
    i think this was the best kingdom hearts ever i mena it starts off slow because you are roxas but it gets way better after him. so man bosses lol for some reason i cant get past the dance water dance guy though.
  34. Dec 30, 2014
    Kingdom Hearts is a very charming beat-em-up that has a lot of fun with its Disney worlds and overly cheesy story. It's flaws are that the game does get tedious after a little bit and the camera is pretty bad. But if you can overlook that, this is a great game.
  35. Sep 3, 2013
    Overall, Kingdom Hearts is an enjoyable experiences. I will admit that the game has some big problems that are annoying that can and in a lot of cases have turned people off to the game like the lack of direction there are some redeeming factors. The story is good, the Disney worlds look great, the score is wonderful, combat is fun, and some of the side stuff is enjoyable. There is a lotOverall, Kingdom Hearts is an enjoyable experiences. I will admit that the game has some big problems that are annoying that can and in a lot of cases have turned people off to the game like the lack of direction there are some redeeming factors. The story is good, the Disney worlds look great, the score is wonderful, combat is fun, and some of the side stuff is enjoyable. There is a lot of good stuff in this game which is why am able to enjoy it despite some annoyances I have with the game. And I was not the only one. Lots of people enjoyed this game and it became a hit, which led to numerous sequels which all spanned from this original game. If you have not played it yet I’d say check it out. If you have a PS2 just get the game because it is probably real cheep by now and you have nothing to lose by buying it. If you have a PS3 than I’d say rent the HD Collection if you are unsure because some people can and have been turned off by the game and you could to. But I am not. Even though the game has problems I still enjoy it, have a lot of fun playing, and continue to play it to this day Expand
  36. Mar 14, 2013
    Better then average RPG, which profits from the Disney and Final Fantasy Characters with a disapointing and way to simple battle system. Story is just absurd.
  37. Jul 28, 2012
    I'm writing this review as a "converted" fan. At first, I hated this game with a passion; the camera was absolutely atrocious, the control scheme was different. The dialogue was alright, but it seemed jumpy at times. After getting stuck on every boss, I just gave up for a few months.

To like this game, you will need patience. If you're expecting to just jump in and kick ass, play Jak and Daxter instead; this game does not give you any breaks. I'd call it a wake-up call for me, because it was literally one of the nicest looking, but difficult games I had ever played at the time. This was around 2009.

After manning up and actually playing this monster, I found it to be very enjoyable. The music is excellent, but the song snippets used in every world are very short and get repetitive. The character models were pretty good for 2001, the combat is really fun (as apposed to Final Fantasy's clunky combat system) and the story is simple, but great.

I'm giving this an 8 because of the memorable music, great voiceacting (despite a few bugs here and there) and great story. It misses out on a 10 because the control scheme takes some getting used to and usually ends up messing with your muscle memory, and because that **** CAMERA.
  38. Dec 26, 2013
    Engaging adventure that you should take. Brilliant art style, orchestral score, good voice acting, original story and new kind of RPG gameplay. Interested? Wonky camera and plot holes are few downsides.
  39. Oct 26, 2013
    ah, kingdom hearts. one of the most unique and magical experiences i've had in gaming. the story is interesting, the voice acting is top-notch, the battle system is one of the most creative i've seen in rpgs, although it is kind of simple and i do think there could have been more abilities you could use it is still a great game. but this is just the first, the other games the other gamesah, kingdom hearts. one of the most unique and magical experiences i've had in gaming. the story is interesting, the voice acting is top-notch, the battle system is one of the most creative i've seen in rpgs, although it is kind of simple and i do think there could have been more abilities you could use it is still a great game. but this is just the first, the other games the other games offer even more excitement to enjoy. Expand
  40. Jan 15, 2014
    Great combination of the worlds of Final Fantasy and Disney. I was shocked when I read the announcement. FF and Disney? This can not go .... But it worked. And it came out perfectly! Divine (for ps2) graphics, divine music, divine storyline, divine combat system, divine gameplay ... DIVINE GAME. I would recommend it to everyone!
  41. Oct 27, 2012
    At first glance, a Disney/Final Fantasy cross-over game seems preposterous. But the product itself is incredible. I first played this game back in 2003, when my family got a PlayStation 2. The dark themes and the Heartless scared the heck out of me to begin with - albeit I was quite young. I didn't actually finish the game until 2007, because I had finally gotten how it worked by then.At first glance, a Disney/Final Fantasy cross-over game seems preposterous. But the product itself is incredible. I first played this game back in 2003, when my family got a PlayStation 2. The dark themes and the Heartless scared the heck out of me to begin with - albeit I was quite young. I didn't actually finish the game until 2007, because I had finally gotten how it worked by then. Since then, I've played through it again at least half a dozen times. This is one of my all-time favourite games. There's lots to love about it. The combat is enjoyable to its core, though heavily relies on button-mashing. The story line is touching and well thought-out. The graphics and sounds are beautiful. The worlds and characters are very authentic and a real treat. And there's still plenty to do outside the main story, such as finding all 99 Dalmatian puppies, or winning all the extra Colosseum matches. True, the game does have its flaws. The combat system can become tedious and you'll practically break the X button, there's a lack of characters other than the cameos and the main original characters, the Gummi Ship was generally boring and made worse due to the fact that it's mandatory early in the game, and there's no way to skip the cutscenes. Still, I think this game is definitely worth playing through again and again. I found it to be so good that the entire Kingdom Hearts saga has become a must-have for me. Any RPG, Disney or Final Fantasy fan will get a kick out of this. Expand
  42. Jan 30, 2013
    A really fun and unique game. Absolutely fantastic visuals, great Disney characters, fun gameplay and decent voice acting. The combat mechanics are really great, but are hampered by annoying camera controls at times. The plot is ....... OK, I can not say it is bad just a bit uninteresting. Sora is a bit flat as a character and it is really hard to identify with him. He is a rather genericA really fun and unique game. Absolutely fantastic visuals, great Disney characters, fun gameplay and decent voice acting. The combat mechanics are really great, but are hampered by annoying camera controls at times. The plot is ....... OK, I can not say it is bad just a bit uninteresting. Sora is a bit flat as a character and it is really hard to identify with him. He is a rather generic JRPG protagonist. Some of the side quests and mini-games do feel a little underwhelming or just under developed. Overall: Regardless of its minor flaws it is a fun game that is highly enjoyable. It truly does feel like a Disney game, just a shame the Square aspects fall a little flat. Expand
  43. Mar 1, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time and always will be, and I have good reason for it. Almost everything in this game is perfect. Fun, engaging gameplay will keep you playing it for hours upon hours until you beat it. The soundtrack is one of the most beautiful soundtracks in all of gaming, good voice acting too with great voices for all of the Disney characters and the main characters.This is my favorite game of all time and always will be, and I have good reason for it. Almost everything in this game is perfect. Fun, engaging gameplay will keep you playing it for hours upon hours until you beat it. The soundtrack is one of the most beautiful soundtracks in all of gaming, good voice acting too with great voices for all of the Disney characters and the main characters. The environments in the game are crafted beautifully, especially for a PS2 game, the Disney worlds gave SquareSoft a lot of diversity to put into to the games graphical style. The game should easily be fun for everyone with a challenging difficulty that's not too hard, but it's not very easy as well, any gamer would like the difficulty. The best part about the game is the story though, it should please any gamer. I'm not going to give anything away about the story because I feel that if you're going to play the game that you should experience it for yourself, because that can make just a little better. I will say that the story is very depressing and sad, but in my opinion that's the best kind of story, the kind that make you emotional and make you care about it. I literally have one, and only one problem with the game, and that's the camera. The camera is a bit weird in small areas and is a bit disorienting, but it's not really a big deal. You'll only get annoyed by it in a few areas of the game that are just small areas, but you don't really need to go to places like that a lot. As I said before, this game is nearly perfect in every way, and it's an easy recommendation for any person who likes video games. Your life is not complete until you've played Kingdom Hearts, and I mean that. Expand
  44. Jan 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When you put Final Fantasy characters and Disney Characters together in the same game and try to make a masterpiece of epic proportion, you get Square Soft's Kingdom Hearts. This unlikely action RPG has been getting heads rolling and some tilting in confusion of this strange crossover between two franchise you would probably never see together. But the game has created a huge fanbase and sparked many sequels and prequels into the series. Story: The main character of the game is Sora, a 14 year old boy who lives on Destiny Island who dreams of venturing to different worlds due to the fact that his best friend Kairi was originally from a different world. They were all set to go until a storm sent him through a wormhole and he was forced to face off against the creatures of the dark known as the Heartless. Sora also obtained the mysterious weapon known as the Keyblade and teams up with Donald Duck and Goofy to find his friends, the missing king of Disney Castle and save the worlds from being destroyed by the Heartless.

Gameplay: Like an other type of RPG, you have to level up your player character and your party, Sora is the only character you can play with in the game since he's the main protagonist of the series. Like in Final Fantasy, Spells and Items have been brought into play, and also character classes as well. Donald is a Mage, while Goofy is a Knight. On the journey after finishing a world, you will receive a new Keyblade to a equip which may give you a certain type of bonus that might affect your status, strength, health, or magic. Also depending on the world you are in you might get an ally who is native to that world (ex: Peter Pan, Tarzan, or Beast). As an Action RPG, the game isn't too difficult and easy to figure out, even though you can mash the x button to keep attacking your opponent, there is still some strategy to the game like adding equipment, healing party members, and using magic against certain enemies, it is also important to change in variety of strategy to attack enemies because some enemies might not be easy to just bash in the face the entire time. When fighting the Darkside Boss, I found using the Thundaga spell easier then waiting to hit the boss in the face.

Music: The music of the game is very good, and memorable as well, I find myself humming the theme to Kingdom Hearts from time to time. Also in the Disney World, some recognizable to tunes can be heard.

Difficulty: The main campaign of the game isn't that hard as long as you know how to play an RPG in the right way, to newcomers, you may 2 or 3 times against a boss. Optional things might prove to be a challenge later on like the Phantom Boss, you can not be hit by physical attacks.
  45. Feb 9, 2013
    This game while revolutionary is flawed and hasn't aged very well. The camera is not the best to start with and the gummi ship portions were boring and there was a little too much focus put on them. There are also unskippable cutscenes, which mixed with punishing difficulty spikes for boss battles will have you prepared to throw your playstation out the window. The idea of the game is veryThis game while revolutionary is flawed and hasn't aged very well. The camera is not the best to start with and the gummi ship portions were boring and there was a little too much focus put on them. There are also unskippable cutscenes, which mixed with punishing difficulty spikes for boss battles will have you prepared to throw your playstation out the window. The idea of the game is very inventive however and visiting the disney worlds feels magical. The combat is a little shallow but fun and as I previously mentioned the difficulty spikes are annoying. Expand
  46. May 4, 2015
    Kingdom Hearts is a clunky game with plenty of flaws, however I absolutely adore it. Before I discuss what makes Kingdom Hearts so magical, I would like to talk about the negative aspects of this game.

At the beginning of this game, you will be forced to do a number of fetch quests. Said fetch quests make the start of this twenty to thirty hour adventure extremely tedious and boring. I am unsure if there's something wrong with my old PS2 controller, but I could not skip any cut-scenes. This meant that after dying during difficult boss fight multiple times, I had to sit through the same cut scene and listen to the same dialogue over and over again. This game also features a few poorly designed worlds namely, Deep Jungle, Neverland and Adlantica. Before the player enters a new world, he or she must complete a Gummi ship section which is an on rails shooting game. I disliked these levels as they are very slow and seem to go on forever.

I love the combat of Kingdom Hearts. I am very aware that it mostly consists of mashing the x button and occasionally casting a magic spell yet for some reason, I found battling heartless to be very addicting. As a result, level grinding was never a chore for me. Everything about the presentation of Kingdom Hearts is top notch. The graphics are colourful and accurately represent the Disney worlds that Sora, Donald and Goofy explore. During my first and only playthrough, I was always excited and curious to see what Disney world I would find myself in next. The voice acting is also of a high standard. Most of the voice actors are impersonators, however James Woods and Kathryn Beaumont return to fulfil their roles as Hades and Alice. I won't speak too much about the plot, however I must say that the story is the greatest aspect of this game It's deep and keeps the player interested and emotionally invested at all times. Sora, Donalda and Goofy make the story even more enjoyable as they are a lovable cast of main characters. It was a complete joy to watch the friendship between Sora and everyone's favourite temperamental duck and anthropomorphic dog develop.

In conclusion, I know that Kingdom Hearts is far from perfect. However, I decided to reward it with a ten out of ten as that's where it falls on my emotional scale.
  47. Jul 2, 2013
    Few game series have ever conveyed such depth and emotion in their games and stayed loyal to fans the way Kingdom Hearts has. This being the beginning of the series it deserves a lot of credit. I was a lot younger when this game first came out and didn't fully appreciate all the amazing character development, story, and other amazing concepts in this game, but I still loved the game forFew game series have ever conveyed such depth and emotion in their games and stayed loyal to fans the way Kingdom Hearts has. This being the beginning of the series it deserves a lot of credit. I was a lot younger when this game first came out and didn't fully appreciate all the amazing character development, story, and other amazing concepts in this game, but I still loved the game for the characters and worlds. People tend to get lost in the story due to it's multiplatform approach, the main villain isn't even shown on console but instead in Birth by Sleep, nonetheless fans are willing to go that distance in order to experience something truly amazing. Some people can't understand how fans are so in love with this series and they possibly never will. The people on Metacritic who undercut this game are simplistic i their thinking and create their reviews to anger true fans. This series deserves better, if you want to get lost in the best series ever made here is the starting line. Expand
  48. Feb 25, 2018
    Wow...just wow.
    Wow...just wow.
    "Kingdom Hearts" is a game that mixes Disney worlds and stories with "Final Fantasy," creating an RPG-experience boasting plenty of fanservice for children and Disney fans alike. At its core, a game with such a combination shouldn't have worked. Final Fantasy: Disney Edition? That's just ridiculous. 15 years later, "Kingdom Hearts" is still an extremely popular and well-received series (even with all the complaints that 3 isn't out yet) and the original game is still extremely popular. And for fantastic reason, as well.
    "Kingdom Hearts" is an absolutely brilliant game. It's a blast to play, it's visually fantastic to this day (even with a few small oddities), the worlds are breathtaking, the story is intricate and detailed, the dialogue is great, the characters are brilliant and memorable, the Disney magic is absolutely there, and the music...wow, the music. It's easily one of the best video game soundtracks I've heard. For lack of a different way to put it, "Kingdom Hearts" is truly a magical and memorable experience, and that's why it stands as one of my favorite video games.
    All that said, though, the game isn't PERFECT. The platforming is VERY wonky, the camera is kind of uncooperative (though, since I played the Final Mix version, it's way better thanks to analog camera controls) and the game VERY SLIGHTLY overstays its welcome. I won't spoil it, but the final world in the game feels like it drags on a bit too much and builds itself on monotony.
    Even so, "Kingdom Hearts" is a brilliant video game that RPG fans, Final Fantasy fans, Disney fans, children, teens, adults, and gamers in general, should absolutely check out!
    Final rating: 10 out of 10 "Fantastic"
  49. Oct 29, 2013
    This game measures up story-wise to good RPG standards, at times it's very cheesy, but it works. The button mashing system is plain and simple but effective. The characters are memorable with some guest appearances from square that add to the likability. The music is epic, but the mini games and ship upgrading eventually become tedious. Navigation in this game is linear but sometimesThis game measures up story-wise to good RPG standards, at times it's very cheesy, but it works. The button mashing system is plain and simple but effective. The characters are memorable with some guest appearances from square that add to the likability. The music is epic, but the mini games and ship upgrading eventually become tedious. Navigation in this game is linear but sometimes messy, the brightest spot in the game to me was the coliseum challenge, it added depth and worthy challenges. Overall it is worth a shot, but it is not for everyone, this is a good place to start in RPG gaming. Expand
  50. Dec 26, 2014
    Just finished this game, 12 years after its release. It's definitely not what a lot of fanboys make it out to be. The story is ok, slightly emotional but nothing that would bring one to tears.

The camera had me tearing my hair out. Gameplay is repetitious and often simply not fun. The (highest) difficulty was uneven through parts of the game and at times required level grinding.

I will admit, being able to party up with familiar Disney characters is pretty cool. The graphics for their time look very good. Voice casting is excellent, though the dialog at times leaves something to be desired.

Even with all the negatives I plan to play through the sequel. Just don't go into the game expecting to have your mind blown.
  51. Feb 21, 2014
    This is one of the first games I played as a kid, and is my favorite game ever. First off, the combat is really fun, and I don't understand why some people don't like it. It is not a button mashing game at all. If you button mash in this game, you will not make it very far at all. The enemies can BLOCK YOU, so button mashing is a very bad idea. Another thing is the story is amazing. It isThis is one of the first games I played as a kid, and is my favorite game ever. First off, the combat is really fun, and I don't understand why some people don't like it. It is not a button mashing game at all. If you button mash in this game, you will not make it very far at all. The enemies can BLOCK YOU, so button mashing is a very bad idea. Another thing is the story is amazing. It is easily one of my favorite stories in a video game. There are a few really great plot twists, notably at Hollow Bastion, a world later in the game. If you don't play the game past that world, you are missing a lot of amazing cut scenes. Overall, this is still one great RPG. Expand
  52. Mar 2, 2014
    I do not play video games very often, and this was the first one I ever finished. The story is fabulous, and I love the characters and art.

The game gets more difficult at an excellent pace, and it gives you time to go back and level up or practice at worlds you've already beaten. The only thing I didn't care for was the gummi ships. I hated having to use it once per level, and I

The only thing I didn't care for was the gummi ships. I hated having to use it once per level, and I never did figure out how to build one or why anyone would want to. I just held down the button to fire the whole time.
  53. Dec 31, 2016
    Kingdom Hearts
    better adventure than it is a game.
    Hide your kids, hide your princesses because they’re snatching up everybody in kingdom hearts. This game starts out very slow and is just a fetch quest game for the first 2 hours of the total of around 30… But a mysterious door unlocks one night and you and your friends go through cause you’re kids hungry for an adventure of course..
    Kingdom Hearts
    better adventure than it is a game.
    But a mysterious door unlocks one night and you and your friends go through cause you’re kids hungry for an adventure of course.. You want to leave this island you’ve lived on your whole life...
    But once you get there youre alone, so with your newly acquired keyblade you set out on an adventure to find them...
    Meanwhile king mickey is gone as he noticed the stars are going out… and goofy and Donald are tasked with finding the key... and guess who’s got it…
    You meet up and go on a crazy Disney adventure taking out the heartless trying to consume the different Disney worlds and snatching their princesses, so it’s up to you to battle your way to the key holes and sealing them back up…
    You’ll go to 11 different playable locations in total including places like wonderland and the 100 acre woods, meet all kinds of awesome Disney and final fantasy characters like the beast and cloud
    Some will even join your party while you’re in their worlds..
    This is a great experience for Disney fans…
    But the greatness ends there…
    Not to say it’s bad... it’s a decently fun game… but feels very dated... while it looks amazing remastered in HD… proof that looks aren’t everything...
    The biggest offenses in this game are its platforming and camera…
    The platforming is insanely stiff making some sections of the game ultra-frustrating like swinging on the vines in Tarzans jungle… and the camera locks itself…
    It isn’t 360 freedom…it chooses when you can and can’t look behind you…
    You can adjust the camera a little in the options to get it closer to your personal preferences, but it doesn’t take away the lock which can definitely get frustrating during boss battles… which is a shame because these boss battles are easily the coolest parts of the game and feature the coolest Disney villains, and all for the most part feel unique and different…
    The actual gameplay itself though feels like a bit of a drag.. there’s way too much back tracking here…
    Going to spots in the map and going back to others and back to this other spot and back to the first spot and then back to the third spot to go back to the 2nd spot and then finally back to the 1st…
    The worlds already do a bad job of feeling large as it is.. The constant back tracking makes it feel worse… I feel the game would have greatly benefited from a more linear platforming style in this case…
    Combat here is pretty basic and hack and slashy…
    As you progress through the game and level up you unlock new abilities, moves and magic to eventually be able to roll, block, counter attack, heal yourself, use fire attacks.. Just to name a few…
    And Donald and goofy have their own sets of abilities and moves they learn that can be managed in menu…
    They feel pretty useless in battle though...
    Im not sure if they get better or worse in easy or hard difficulty... but in the default difficulty they feel like theyre just there to be there…
    They have no concept of strategf programmed into them which is frustrated when dealing with shielded enemies or bosses…
    They die frequently... but thankfully do heal after a while or you can use items in battle to heal them yourself…
    You can also use sumons to call in the most fierce characters in Disney history like simba or bambi to take their place for a few seconds to offer support…
    And I cant not mention the annoying ship sections in between worlds…
    Theyre not fun… and I hope theyre gone in future titles…
    Kingdom Hearts feels like it drags on forever with its reliance on back tracking..
    But if you’re a Disney fan it’s still a pretty cool experience, taking on your favorite bad guys, meeting your favorite heroes, getting new weapons as you save their world, and helping restore balance...
    I Give Kindgom Hearts a
    7.5/10
  54. Dec 5, 2014
    I first played Kingdom Hearts as a kid on the ps2 and it was by far amazing, the characters were strongly developed and the plot was amazing. Disney and final fantasy characters with some fresh faces, it was a winning formula. The actual gameplay was great, the battle system, level system, and abilities were all designed without flaw. I played this game so much I had leveled up 99 andI first played Kingdom Hearts as a kid on the ps2 and it was by far amazing, the characters were strongly developed and the plot was amazing. Disney and final fantasy characters with some fresh faces, it was a winning formula. The actual gameplay was great, the battle system, level system, and abilities were all designed without flaw. I played this game so much I had leveled up 99 and battled all of the secret bosses. The only reason I give this game a 9 instead of 10 is because I liked Kingdom Hearts II more. Expand
  55. Jan 27, 2015
    Amazing game! A beautiful, immersible story with depth in the characters. I really get emotional playing this.
    The battle system, while simple the first time around, is still fun and epic when you pull off these crazy spinning moves, and customization is great! However if you don't like it too much here, push your way through this one and play the sequels. They do greatly improve on it.
    I love the worlds! Each teems with creativity and really feels like you're in the movie (unless it's original) based off of. They truly leave you with the feeling that you helped save the world and restored it to its happy, musical self.
    The character interaction is touching and also comical at times, and stays positive as to keep you feeling like you WILL restore our hero's (Sora) happy ending.

Great game for a kid who loves Disney or colorful characters, or an adult more into depth of a story. I experienced both styles back on PS2 and again with the 1.5 Mix version.

If you like Final Fantasy, you'll love this. Rich, fun, and happy, Kingdom Hearts is a work of art.
  56. Nov 22, 2017
    Kingdom Hearts is a game--a somewhat functional game with Disney and Final Fantasy characters. That is all the good things that I can say about it. The game has one of the worst cameras of all time. The combat is just mashing x over and over again. The difficulty is extremely inconsistent; 90% is button mashing, but then you have to strategize. You aren't prepared for that because the restKingdom Hearts is a game--a somewhat functional game with Disney and Final Fantasy characters. That is all the good things that I can say about it. The game has one of the worst cameras of all time. The combat is just mashing x over and over again. The difficulty is extremely inconsistent; 90% is button mashing, but then you have to strategize. You aren't prepared for that because the rest of the game is so easy. The only reason you will ever die is because you were trying to heal and got hit. The level design is horrible. The boss fights are atrocious, specifically Cerberus, Ursula, and Ansem. The end of the game is ridiculously hard unless you do some side-quests, with 15-minute enemy gauntlets that you have to start all over if you die. The story is uninteresting. Mediocre game. Expand
  57. Jul 2, 2016
    Kingdom Hearts is an amazing concept that is amazingly executed. When I first heard about a Final Fantasy crossover with Disney, I thought... well, I wasn't really sure what to think, but what I am sure of is that this game turned out excellent. The combat works extremely well, the rpg elements are simple but well executed, and the graphics are on par for a PS2 game. In addition, theKingdom Hearts is an amazing concept that is amazingly executed. When I first heard about a Final Fantasy crossover with Disney, I thought... well, I wasn't really sure what to think, but what I am sure of is that this game turned out excellent. The combat works extremely well, the rpg elements are simple but well executed, and the graphics are on par for a PS2 game. In addition, the touching storyline is like no other, and the beautiful soundtrack is some of the best I've heard in a game. All that being said, however, the game is not without its flaws. For starters, the Gummi Ship parts are a pain. These low-quality railshooter portions of the game aren't challenging in the slightest, and they feel like a waste of disc space. In addition, there are many tight platforming sequences in the game that don't fit the game's loose platforming mechanics, showing some overambitious game design. Also, the camera is terrible, and objectives can be overly cryptic. But these shortcomings aside, Kingdom Hearts is a magical experience that should be enjoyed by all. Expand
  58. Apr 17, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is Kingdom Hearts a flawed game? Yes it is. The combat is lacking and simple and the set camera is atrocious. But there's a quality to it that can't be explained. The worlds can only be described as magical, the characters are timeless and the story, although just typical Japanese crazyness, is beautiful to behold. Its a package that is much more than the sum of its parts and it gives me a feeling of wonder and serenity that nothing has given me before, let alone a video game. Expand
  59. Aug 5, 2015
    Whilst suffering from poor platforming, this game perfectly combines two major franchises into what can only be described as an extremely enjoyable experience.
  60. Aug 12, 2015
    Ok this game is now one month shy of being 13 years old and it is still a absolute treasure in my collection.
    Never mind any idiot who tells you it hasn't stood the test of time. It absolutely has. It looks as good now as some recent games and the entire game was barely 1.8Gb's in size.
    Those who tell you the story doesn't make sense clearly didn't finish it or pay attention. The story
    The story is amazing. You build a serious bond and attachment with the protagonist and his friends throughout the amazing journey. The ending (DONT WORRY NO SPOILERS) with absolutely touch your heart while leaving you craving the sequel for answers to so many questions.
    Anyone who says the gameplay is button mashing also didn't travel very far into the game, later enemies require different methods to be defeated and bosses in this game (unlike many games today) present a real challenge and some are incredibly hard.
    The original game launch with PS2 and I got my copy free with it. I had no interest and left it aside for a few months. I eventually decided to look at it out of boredom from playing only tekken. Within 20mins of playing I was Hooke and have played every game in the series at least twice. On standard mode and on the relative versions hard mode for the secret endings and extras. If I could suggest anythig I would say to buy the 1.5HD version instead as it adds some new mechanics, extras and looks even better to play.
    The starting point of the best game series ever!
  61. Oct 6, 2015
    One of the best games I have ever played, yes the combat is simple but I think it makes it a better game as some games combat style is very complicated. I think it helps us fall into the story better and leaves us with a lasting mark on our hearts forever.
  62. Mar 21, 2016
    I've never seen a story this interesting to watch. When Disney's lovable characters meet Final Fantasy, this is what we get. I'd love to play this game 24/7 if I was you.
  63. May 10, 2016
    I played this game like 12 or 13 years ago but I still remember that time. It was Christmas and I got my ps2 at the Christmas tree with this game and from the first moment caught me. I really loved this game because Sora had my exactly age and the mixed world of Final Fantasy and Disney attracted fans of the both sides. I remember that the plot was really strange and curious with all theI played this game like 12 or 13 years ago but I still remember that time. It was Christmas and I got my ps2 at the Christmas tree with this game and from the first moment caught me. I really loved this game because Sora had my exactly age and the mixed world of Final Fantasy and Disney attracted fans of the both sides. I remember that the plot was really strange and curious with all the darkness and heartless. What I remember the most is kicking ass of every heartless that came up. And I also remember when I finally finised this game. It was summer!! And I started playing on Christmas. Well, the thing is that the final boss it was really difficult to beat and my cousin and I where trying to defeat him. One turn he, one turn me. And I finally kick him down! What I could never defeat was the two extra final bosses. I mean for me was impossible. I think that if you are 12-16 years old you're really enjoy this game. Although I'm going to play Kingdom Hearts II now that I have time and I'm a little old for this game I think. But I believe it's gonna like me like the first Kingdom Hearts did. Expand
  64. Sep 13, 2016
    Recently got back into this game. It holds up surprisingly well. At this point in the series the story wasn't completely bonkers yet, the characters are quirky and interesting, character progression is immersive. It's just as magical and engaging as it was back in '02. Yes, rotating the camera with the L2 and R2 buttons was an outdated control method even back when the game came out, andRecently got back into this game. It holds up surprisingly well. At this point in the series the story wasn't completely bonkers yet, the characters are quirky and interesting, character progression is immersive. It's just as magical and engaging as it was back in '02. Yes, rotating the camera with the L2 and R2 buttons was an outdated control method even back when the game came out, and battling can grow repetitive after a while, but the hectic nature of the battling is taxing and always demands your attention so it never grows completely stale. Plus, battling simply is a huge part of RPGs so this shouldn't be a dealbreaker. If you're a fan of RPGs you owe it to yourself to play Kingdom Hearts. Expand
  65. Apr 14, 2018
    Kingdom Hearts succeeds by telling its own emotional story while transporting you to familiar worlds with iconic characters. It provides a huge variety of fun gameplay experiences that all tie into a story that is surprisingly pretty good. I am a big fan of Final Fantasy and Disney. I have seen every Disney animated movie and played most of the Final Fantasy games but I hate the idea ofKingdom Hearts succeeds by telling its own emotional story while transporting you to familiar worlds with iconic characters. It provides a huge variety of fun gameplay experiences that all tie into a story that is surprisingly pretty good. I am a big fan of Final Fantasy and Disney. I have seen every Disney animated movie and played most of the Final Fantasy games but I hate the idea of combining the two. I hate cross-overs in general. To me it just kills any sense of believability. I honestly think Kingdom Hearts would be a better game if it was just its own thing with all original characters. With that said, I think it does a good job of blending the worlds together in an interesting way. I didn't start out loving Kingdom Hearts. I thought the concept was ridiculous and I found the controls and menus counter-intuitive at first. As it progressed though I quickly found myself getting more immersed in the story and world. The gameplay also got progressively better the further I got. It isn't perfect by a long shot but it delivers on its promise of giving a heart filled journey through magical Disney worlds with Final Fantasy lore and style. That is a tall order so it deserves a lot of credit for pulling it off.

I give it 80%

Gameplay 8 - While the controls lack precision and menus are convoluted, there is a huge variety of fun gameplay. It is a great blend of platforming, combat, exploration and problem solving. Every world offers unique puzzles and challenges. The boss battles are mostly excellent and combat becomes more rewarding as you unlock new abilities.

Story/Progression 6 - The story is definitely convoluted and the Disney plots are basically just dumbed down rehashes of the movie plots but the overarching plot is quite interesting. Once you get past the surface there is quite a bit of depth and lore. The game does a good job of introducing new ideas and plot elements at a good pace and I rarely felt bored. Its a confusing story that is far from being air tight but its a fun adventure that captures the essence of Disney and Final Fantasy games. The story is still much weaker than most Final Fantasy games though.

World 8 - While I was a bit disappointed by how small each of the Disney worlds was, combined they make up a very big world and there is a lot of variety between them all. Every place offered something new and fun to experience. There are tons of secrets and as you gain more abilities, exploration becomes more fun.

Characters 6 - The characters are likable and memorable but they are pretty simplistic. Sora is a pretty standard good intention-ed protagonist he evolves a bit but not a lot. Riku is a standard rival. Kairi is the damsel in distress. They all get moments to shine and I liked them fine but they could have had a lot more development. The Disney and Final Fantasy characters are all paper thin. They are basically very basic versions of themselves.

Visuals 9 - The visual design is mostly excellent. The style is a really nice blend between Final Fantasy and Disney. It captures both in essence but still has a style of its own. My only problem with the visuals is that some of the locations were bland looking. The gummy ship sections also looked awful. Overall though it is a very good looking game with a memorable style that does service to its sources in both franchises.

Sound Design 9 - The soundtrack is mostly great with memorable theme songs. Some of the world music I found a bit underwhelming but mostly it was fine. The voice acting was good all around. Most of the Disney voices fit the characters quite closely and the new character voices were almost all appealing. Sound affects were good, not the best but they worked well enough.

Uniqueness/Ideas 8 - Surprisingly there are a lot of good unique ideas. The idea of the Keyblade is a really iconic and makes sense within the story. The idea of the Heartless is also good and fits in well with both Disney and Final Fantasy. There are little things as well such as the way characters and worlds connect to each other that are quite interesting. The way the princesses are used in the story is an interesting idea. There are some really weird ideas like the gummy ships and such but even that has some thought put into it which can be discovered through books in the game. The ideas aren't on par with the better Final Fantasy games but they are still good for what the story is. As weird as the story is I give the creators credit for blending their new ideas into the story fairly well.

Length/Amount of Content 9 - I put in around 50 hours to complete the main story of the game and some of the side content. The worlds are small but there are 13 worlds and many bosses. There is also a lot of quality optional content.

Immersion 8 - It took me a bit of time to get into the game but after a few hours I was hooked and rarely wanted to stop playing. There are some boring areas but enough to hold interest.
  66. Dec 5, 2016
    Disney and Final Fantasy is OK. But I would rather play a Final Fantasy game just by itself. The game was as good as I expected. The other games are pretty good. 5/10
  67. Mar 12, 2018
    Amo este juego, es uno de los pocos jrpg me gustan. Solamente le critico q la historia es un poco rara, en especial el final. Pero igual es un gran gran gran juego
  68. May 7, 2018
    Kingdom Hearts, along with its many sequels can be granted as an all time great in the RPG gameplay format. I remember when I started on this game in 2004 when I was just a kid and loved it. The gameplay is nearly flawless and can be extremely addicting. The story is ground breaking and can grab the attention to the likes of kids to grown adults. I see some lacking speeds in the game andKingdom Hearts, along with its many sequels can be granted as an all time great in the RPG gameplay format. I remember when I started on this game in 2004 when I was just a kid and loved it. The gameplay is nearly flawless and can be extremely addicting. The story is ground breaking and can grab the attention to the likes of kids to grown adults. I see some lacking speeds in the game and sometimes your companions can be very lacking and unsupportive for you as sometimes it feels like as if you are playing only by yourself. However they do make settings for your characters so play how you feel best suits you. It is an all time great. Disney + Final Fantasy = A Legendary Combo. A legendary game and will always be remembered as an all time great. Expand
  69. May 28, 2017
    Este juego fue mi primer contacto con este mundo cuando solo tenía 2 años, y me sigue pareciendo igual de genial. Me encanta esta combinación de los mundos de Disney y FF. Es muy divertido el sistema de combate y están genial sus toques RPG. Le pongo un 96/!00
  70. Oct 6, 2017
    It has its flaws, and it's hard to say that it's really exemplary in most of the typical ways that games are good. But it's still one of my favorite games of all time for two major reasons. First is that the cast of characters that Kingdom Hearts is able to amass is almost unrivaled across video games - I can't think of another game that blends so many different, well-known charactersIt has its flaws, and it's hard to say that it's really exemplary in most of the typical ways that games are good. But it's still one of my favorite games of all time for two major reasons. First is that the cast of characters that Kingdom Hearts is able to amass is almost unrivaled across video games - I can't think of another game that blends so many different, well-known characters together in the same world so seamlessly. But most importantly, Kingdom Hearts just feels so good to play. It's not the most complicated battling by any means (though it's certainly not easy either!), but its unique brand of hack and slash combo'ing just makes everything you do feel super badass. Expand
  71. Jan 2, 2018
    Reconozco que esta crítica no es demasiado objetiva, pero la dificultad que me supuso en su día, la complejidad de elementos de su universo y la magia con la que se cuenta una historia que uno no es capaz de anticipar hacen que lo considere el juego que más me impactó de joven
  72. Feb 15, 2018
    --This game is one of the most nostalgic PS2 games of all time.

--The way it combines children elements while also having emotional and deeper meanings makes it enjoyable for all ages. --The difficulty settings are well tuned so that players who want to feel a challenge have that capability and players who just want to get through the game have that option too. --The game is an
    --This game is one of the most nostalgic PS2 games of all time.

--The game is an example of a game that suffers from the controls that kinda wishes it was played on a keyboard/mouse. For example, trying to use items in the middle of combat is kind of a nightmare. Your left hand kind of has to turn into a crab.

--Plenty of end-game content to keep you satisfied.

--Story is rich with plenty of classic characters.

--Most boss fights are unique and the bosses have a nice lead up of difficulty throughout the game.

--The Gummi Ship stuff is a bit unintuitive and just not fun.

--Hidden treasure is always fun and this game has plenty of it.

--The camera is extremely annoying sometimes, but it's not any worse than games from that era.

--Combat is somewhat plain and simplistic, a bit like The Witcher 3's combat system.
  73. Feb 20, 2018
    It's combat hasn't aged perfectly, the plot can be a bit by-the-books and the difficulty spikes like a rocky sales chart but original KH is still a fantastic game. This is not the way to play it as the updated release; despite bugs adds new graphics and features
  74. May 7, 2018
    One of my most favorite video game franchises of all time. Re-visting the first game the controls were semi clunky but the story and just seeing Disney and Final Fantasy characters overpowers this game
  75. Apr 20, 2018
    It is Kingdom Hearts, simple. A touching story that captures the young people and the older ones. Even with the horrible camera, the game play based on mashing buttons, the weird mix between FF and Disney... looking at KH as a whole it is perfect. Maybe it's not a masterpiece, but I don't think that's the intention of this game. Its intention is to make us feel like when we were youngerIt is Kingdom Hearts, simple. A touching story that captures the young people and the older ones. Even with the horrible camera, the game play based on mashing buttons, the weird mix between FF and Disney... looking at KH as a whole it is perfect. Maybe it's not a masterpiece, but I don't think that's the intention of this game. Its intention is to make us feel like when we were younger and dreamed being on adventure with out friends, that's it : adventures and friendship.
    Kingdom Hearts is a video game that won't make you feel indifferent: whether you love it or not.
  76. May 19, 2018
    Un juegazo que no podía faltar en PS2. La historia es lo que más me gusta. Uno de los mejores de PS2 sin duda.

#2 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#5 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

1. Game Informer
    The battles that unfold are as beautful as they are intense, and as difficult as they are easy to manhandle. [Oct 2002, p.76]
  2. Play Magazine
    To say that Kingdom Hearts is magical is an understatement. As cinematic experiences go, it's exquisite. It's not the finest in terms of action, but overall, it's wonderful. [Oct 2002, p.74]
  3. Has a few flaws, but its unique character pairings and jaw-dropping graphics make this a remarkable RPG.