8.3

1. Aug 8, 2011
    Pure awesome-ness in game form. Yes, it's slow, and yes, it's frustrating if you die. But these are good things! You're truly afraid to die, you truly feel like an adventurer exploring cursed lands, and the slower combat allows you to think (which you must do to succeed) to beat your enemies and find the plethora of hidden items and secret places.

This game is about exploration, about

This game is about exploration, about probing an ancient horrific land, and about surviving amidst large hords (impressive unit counts and NO load times, great graphics for the time) of depraved enemies. It has a very Lovecraftian vibe.
  2. StephanR.
    Aug 5, 2002
    Really great game! It is what I expected. I fell in love with the first one, but wasn't as crazy about the second. The main thing I didn't like about the second one is something that kind of bothers me about this one... and that is the mapping system. The first one in this series had a great mapping system. The second one and this one don't do so well. But... graphics, Really great game! It is what I expected. I fell in love with the first one, but wasn't as crazy about the second. The main thing I didn't like about the second one is something that kind of bothers me about this one... and that is the mapping system. The first one in this series had a great mapping system. The second one and this one don't do so well. But... graphics, detail, and length make up for its few shortcomings. This game is definitely NOT for the adrenaline junkie, but if you like exploration, then this is for you. I think that this series is the closest thing there is to transporting the old text-based games into a firstperson 3-D environment. Expand
  3. HeadacheBearcub
    Jun 16, 2002
    This game is exactly what I expected from the people at AGETEC. Yes, it is slow. Yes, you will probably die from the most asanine things the first several hours you put into it...YES it's a cool game. I love the series and hope they make another one with a slightly re-vamped gaming engine...that'd rock. Otherwise, I appreciate the visuals (better than morrowind by the way) and This game is exactly what I expected from the people at AGETEC. Yes, it is slow. Yes, you will probably die from the most asanine things the first several hours you put into it...YES it's a cool game. I love the series and hope they make another one with a slightly re-vamped gaming engine...that'd rock. Otherwise, I appreciate the visuals (better than morrowind by the way) and am gonna go play it now... -PFC Neill USMC Expand
  4. JonathanR.
    Jun 2, 2002
    This game is VERY good. I hope the bad reviews this game receive won't stop the making of another King's Field title.
  5. MarkB.
    May 31, 2002
    I was sold on the first US version of King's Field, and this release was one major buying decision in favor of the PS2 over the fiXbox or Cube. That said, this is a dungeon crawl - it's lonely, eerie, and based on discovering your world. If you're an adrenaline junkie, this is not the one. If you like to explore 3D worlds, find hidden things and hack monsters, then rent it I was sold on the first US version of King's Field, and this release was one major buying decision in favor of the PS2 over the fiXbox or Cube. That said, this is a dungeon crawl - it's lonely, eerie, and based on discovering your world. If you're an adrenaline junkie, this is not the one. If you like to explore 3D worlds, find hidden things and hack monsters, then rent it (if you're new) and see if the pace is OK for you. I bought it expecting to like it - and I do! Expand
  6. Steve
    May 27, 2002
    If you are a fan of the Kings Field series, this is a must buy. The graphics have much improved since the first Kings Field. If you havent played any of the series, try it out. Give it some time.. it may be slow but it isnt as limited as "do A then go to B." The options are limitless in this game. Go anywhere. I really recommend it. Its a great game.
  7. Aug 8, 2011

This game is about exploration, about

1. Even with these intriguing traits in place, King's Field: The Ancient City will bore approximately 99.9% of the gamers out there. Primarily because the game is so slow and burdensome. [Apr 2002, p.77]
  2. The action is so slow and the world so depressingly medieval. [Apr 2002]
    With a better laid-out world, more cleverly hidden treasures, and a great sense of nonlinearity, The Ancient City is a nice bit of evolution for the series.