8.4

1. Sep 12, 2013
    This is a B-list JRPG, but, surprisingly, a damn good one.

This is a B-list JRPG, but, surprisingly, a damn good one.

Graphics are really sub-par by PS2 standards and most of the time this does look like a PS1 title. Not to mention the obviously poorly translated script, which actually unintentionally gives the game a greater sense of humor. Critique aside, it has allot of interesting systems and side activities that keep you invested throughout. While all the characters are generic tropes of the roles they are filling they are all very well flushed out with deep personalities and histories. You learn to love them all. If anything, the combat system comes across as a bit odd at first, and a little repetitive, the stronger your characters get, the more fun it become, group combos and special attacks are so satisfying to pull off.

Overall:
    While it is VERY far from the bigger named JRPG franchises in terms of overall quality, it still is allot of fun and is good enough to compete in the big leagues. Go into this game with an open mind and so patience and you will learn to like it after just a few hours.
  2. Bob
    Jan 11, 2003
    The first game was brilliant and this one is too. how can u not like it?
  3. LeeE.
    Feb 13, 2003
    This game is brilliant it had me on the edge of my seat throughout the game!!!!!!!!!!
  4. EagleM.
    Mar 4, 2003
    This game is better than the first. I like the idea of being able to use characters other than the main one in the fighting competitions. Voices were nice to have that once in a while. The only downfalls I saw were losses in appearance changes when it came to armor, and no one person constantly getting in the way like Songi was... I had fun beating him up all the time.
  5. MarkL.
    Feb 13, 2003
    This is amazing you gamers dont know sh.t. Utter quality.
  6. DarrellG.
    Feb 10, 2003
    This game rocks, if you like final fantasy this is your kind of game, and besides the battle system is the best ive ever seen.
  7. DannyL.
    Feb 8, 2003
    Great game but some parts are frustrating. Provides quite a challenge but well worth the effort.
  8. TyroneK.
    Apr 7, 2003
    I absolutely loved this game. The story is very involving but is also very interesting. The battle system is great and I especially like the arts system.
  9. JayS.
    Apr 29, 2004
    This game is great. I cant understand some of those supposedly pro reviewers. They seem to only focus and rate the game based on its graphics. Graphic is just a part of game reviews! The overall gaming experience is what you should review.
  10. Kutch
    Aug 4, 2004
    I the game the arts are very good and its fun experimenting on them but i miss some bad guys like Songi on the first game coz i just love beating his ass but still he keeps on playing on you. One good thing i like the game is that they did not include a character that is the same as Noa on the first game coz she really is annoying!
  11. KyleR.
    Jul 7, 2005
    It's a big inprovement on the first and one of my favorite games tho it doesnt come close to final fantasy 7 it still kicks ass.
  12. KentA.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This was an excellent game. Improved graphics, the ability of bleeding and everything else. The only let down was the fact that just as i was getting into the game, it ended. season mode was far too short.
  13. Nekronos
    Feb 9, 2003
    I'll admit that the first Legaia (Legend of Legaia) was extremely addicting. The slow pace of the storyline allows for more hours of training and looking around for things that you've might have missed. However, this second surprises me the most out of both games. There is no change of the look of the character when you have different armors, unlike the first.. so that was a I'll admit that the first Legaia (Legend of Legaia) was extremely addicting. The slow pace of the storyline allows for more hours of training and looking around for things that you've might have missed. However, this second surprises me the most out of both games. There is no change of the look of the character when you have different armors, unlike the first.. so that was a minor downfall in my opinion. I'm not that far ahead, but I hope that theres a fighting contest too, haha. Expand
  14. BrianM.
    Mar 10, 2003
    I say its the best RPG I've played yet.
    Mar 18, 2003
    It's a great game... better than the first.
  16. PatrickL.
    Nov 26, 2002
    I dont care what you people think, this game rocks. Just because your lack of gaming experience frustrates you, dont take it out on the game. It ruled both times, and i hope for a third! So up yours you lazy bastards.
  17. Notverylong
    Feb 13, 2003
    Great gameplay mixed with stunning graphics and a sweet new battle system.
  18. DC
    Feb 24, 2003
    This game is awesome, but they look away some of the best features. I miss being able to capture enemy powers to use, changing looks with equipment, long dungeons, extremely hard bosses, original characters, and walking around on the map. I love multiple origin attacks, more characters, auctions, the casino, multiple tournaments, upgradable attacks, mission quests, nicknames, and cooking. This game is awesome, but they look away some of the best features. I miss being able to capture enemy powers to use, changing looks with equipment, long dungeons, extremely hard bosses, original characters, and walking around on the map. I love multiple origin attacks, more characters, auctions, the casino, multiple tournaments, upgradable attacks, mission quests, nicknames, and cooking. Still the new almost balances out the old, but hopefully all of these and more will be in the next one. Expand
  19. NickS.
    Dec 14, 2002
    This game is excellent, I just had to give it a 10. I am really suprised some of you put such lousy ratings. Anyway I do not CARE what you people say it is a great game and I am hoping for a third legend of legaia game!
  20. Nov 27, 2011
    Incorporates a moving story with surprisingly addictive gameplay, while adding a dash of comedy to spruce up an otherwise sinister plot. The environment and it's great and fun i recommend
  21. Jul 11, 2014
    This is one of those RPG's which never really received it's fair share of praise from the critics, yet most of the user reviews are positive.

The graphics aren't anything special, fairly average for it's time, but there is enough dialogue and responsive options, mixed with plenty of hard battles (which are interactive rather than just point and click), combined with a decent skill and magic system. Add to this the cooking options, plenty of mini-games and a plausible enough story, and you are left with a very good although not quite perfect RPG.

Well worth getting, especially if you can pick it up cheap enough.

#34 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#12 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

1. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    The novelty of the battle system wears thin pretty quickly, and befroe you know it, you'll be wishing you could just skip fighting altogether. [Dec 2002, p.204]
  2. The seductive power of its plot is relatively weak and you may find yourself too overwhelmed by the absurdity of the gameplay to even care what develops in the story, but this title does in fact have a plot.
  3. The interesting to watch, yet boring to actually play combat engine, the absolutely horrendous voice acting, and rarely used weapon/armor/item creation system makes this an average title at best.