7.3

1. Mar 29, 2011
    Mana Khemia is the absolute best JRPG on the PS2. The characters are inventive and original, the story is interesting, and at times a bit of a mystery, and the leveling system is innovative. Simply put if you own a PS2 and enjoy JRPGs such as Final Fantasy, Tales of, and especially the Atelier series, you should own this game. The graphics aren't great, but if graphics are all you careMana Khemia is the absolute best JRPG on the PS2. The characters are inventive and original, the story is interesting, and at times a bit of a mystery, and the leveling system is innovative. Simply put if you own a PS2 and enjoy JRPGs such as Final Fantasy, Tales of, and especially the Atelier series, you should own this game. The graphics aren't great, but if graphics are all you care about then JRPGs probably aren't your thing, the music is great, and memorable, plus with 8 different endings the replayability is sky high. Believe me when I say this game is must have for your PS2 collection, it's so great I personally had to buy 2 copies, one got scratched up so bad I couldn't play it because I played it so much. If you have managed to skip over this game, stop, and pick it up, the used price tag isn't bad nowadays, and if you already have it, you could always buy the PSP version on the PSN for 9.99, either way, it's a great deal for a fantastic game. Expand
  2. Oct 12, 2011
    If you're familiar with what Gust does, then do not look any further, it is exactly what you expect from them (in a good way, of course!) A great story, with excellent fleshed out characters, a amazing soundtrack, one of the best battle systems i've seen yet. Everything that makes a RPG great.
  3. May 25, 2013
    Mana Khemia is a great game with memorable characters, fun gameplay and a fantastic soundtrack. It was a shock to me to see it reviewed so low by some people. It is truly a shame there are reviewers out there who won't give a game a fair chance because they can't get past the anime aesthetics.
  4. Jul 14, 2013
    Surprised to see such a low rating. It's been a few years since I played, but no serious rpg player should pass this up. The anime feel to this one is apparent and may not be everyone's bag of chips, but the characters are memorable, and the story while not being anything shocking or new, was given lots of love by the developers and it shows throughout the game.

What I really liked

What I really liked about this title was how everything in it compliments each other in a way that is surprisingly well executed and cohesive, more so than I've seen in any game I've played. From how the game presents and progresses you through your school years with an eye toward (we hope!) graduation, to the the warm, interesting, and varied locations you get to explore, and also the satisfying combat system that starts with fairly standard features and by the end of the game has added plenty of mechanics to keep your choices fresh and your options open, it's all very good.

I have many warm memories of this game and would recommend it as a star in Atlas and Nippon Ichi's many titles. Really a superb game!
  5. Nov 15, 2014
    Following the line of Atelier games, this is one of the best in the entries in the games

Amazing story, characters and battle system. Adding more fun and replay value is the different endings system adopted.

Overall, a very good and interesting JRPG
  6. Apr 18, 2014
    Best PS2 game in my humble opinion. The alchemy is very interesting and if you're really into it, just crafting stuff and farming could take well over half of your game play.

If there was anything to complain about here, its that some people don't like idle time in their and would mostly like to hack and slash and whatnot and they might find the game boring. Also, people would appreciate it much more if they can appreciate the original japanese dub instead of the English translation. For the most part the english translation will ruin the fun of the story, as well as the comedy.

Ignore the low rating, as I would be willing to guess it's mostly because they don't appreciate a JRPG with such an amazing anime feel to it. Plus they don't know how to enjoy the Japanese dub, which is such a big bonus.

1. This niche title does little to captivate its audience and its main gameplay mechanics will act as deterrents to the average gamer.
  2. As much as I enjoyed most of what Mana Khemia had to offer, actively disliking three of the game's main characters(Vayne, Jess and Flay)made it easy to be apathetic every time a storyline cutscene kicked in. [Apr 2008, p.61]
    Mana Khemia is an incredibly fun game with a fairly large scope, that takes a minimum of 40 hours to complete. And, with a simple New Game Plus feature, serious fans can get all of the character-specific endings without doing much work.