Mega Man X8 PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Dec 7, 2004
8.5

1. Jul 19, 2012
    I was surprised when I saw many of the bad reviews X8 got, because it's such a good game. Mega Man X8 is one of the best Mega Man games ever! I've seen many people complain over things like the voice acting, how it's not in 2D etc. Personally I think the voice acting is great, X has a couple of strange lines, but otherwise it's great, to me the voices really fit the characters. As for whyI was surprised when I saw many of the bad reviews X8 got, because it's such a good game. Mega Man X8 is one of the best Mega Man games ever! I've seen many people complain over things like the voice acting, how it's not in 2D etc. Personally I think the voice acting is great, X has a couple of strange lines, but otherwise it's great, to me the voices really fit the characters. As for why it's not in 2D, do people really think Capcom would release another 2D Mega Man X game only 3 years after the last one for a console like the PS2? I really like the graphics in this game and the new character design, it looks great. The gameplay is amazing and the controls are amazing, I really like how fast-paced X8 is. The stages are awesome, the stages in X8 are a little short, but still some of the best stages in the X series. X8 is filled with cool stuff and there is a very cool easter egg in Optic Sunflowers stage. The story is slightly confusing, but atleast it has a story and it is good enough. Vile is in the game, I love Vile. Sigma in this game looks really cool, X1 style Sigma and final Sigma. And one of the things I like the most.. IT HAS CUT SCENES, WHO DOESN'T LOVE EPIC COOL ANIMATED CUT SCENES!? But as every game I've ever played, it has some things I didn't like about it. The boss battles are a little too easy, well, except for at the end of the game.. Some rare metals are freaking impossible to find without a guide. The mini boss at Gravity Antonion's stage is really annoying. X8 has some of my favorite VGM ever, Title screen, Jakob Elevator, Intermission Theme etc. but overall, the soundtrack is poor. The two fully 3D stages are annoying. But I don't care about this because overall Mega Man X8 is a fantastic game that was put a lot of effort into by the developers. If you are a Mega Man fan then you need this game, and I think any fan of platformers would enjoy this a lot too. Mega Man X8 is well worthy of a score of 9~ :3 now I'm just hoping that X9 will ever come out, because with the X8 ending you'd really expect a sequel. I really hope Capcom doesn't kill Mega Man completely.. Expand
  2. sdc
    Apr 5, 2015
    Just wished the game had a better soundtrack. But the gameplay was smooth, the story is pretty epic, the graphics are lush, and they fixed everything wrong with Mega Man X. Only second to X5.
  3. Dec 9, 2013
    Nonsensical, unnatural and laughable story accompanied with a gameplay that looks pretty but has lost all the previous essence. Mega Man is dead unless a total reboot.
  4. MP83
    Aug 10, 2005
    Quoting Marc D. " Stop messing around and go back to your roots Capcom. Not everything is better in 3D. Ask Contra and Castlevania."
  5. KevinR.
    Jan 8, 2005
    It's the best of all mega man x series this mega mega man x8 really the best!
  6. DerekT.
    Feb 9, 2005
    I picked this one up and started playing start to finish. Benn a fan of the X series through its ups and downs and this is definitely the best.
  7. Dark5523Chaos
    Mar 4, 2005
    This game is more challenging than I thought.... It was quite fun to know that the game's bosses can give you a hard time if you fight them without their weaknesses. But I still have to comment about the "spikey" areas and the racing-based stages in the game!
  8. JoseS.
    Aug 8, 2005
    CAPCOM has made a great step with MMX8!!! with all that new stuff, metals, weapons, and FINALLY 2 armors once again. MegamanX8 has GREAT graphics, very detailed, incredible variety of gameplay, with a lot of moves with Zero, attacks with X, Cool Ratchet&Clank style weapons with Axl, the awsomes double attacks....and an incredible plot. AND IN 2D all this make this game very enjoyable and CAPCOM has made a great step with MMX8!!! with all that new stuff, metals, weapons, and FINALLY 2 armors once again. MegamanX8 has GREAT graphics, very detailed, incredible variety of gameplay, with a lot of moves with Zero, attacks with X, Cool Ratchet&Clank style weapons with Axl, the awsomes double attacks....and an incredible plot. AND IN 2D all this make this game very enjoyable and fun. Im a megaman fan since a remember.....the first "mega" game I played was X1....and i loved it. with the first 2D (i mean ALL 2D) megaman game on the ps2....capcom has finally decided that is time to put more things on this legendary saga.... to make it shortly this are the things that makes MegamanX8 a Greatest HIts (I hope!!): -very detailed graphics, make the attacks much more interestings -the 3 navigators, the 2 armors and a lot of upgrades put more freedom to the game -the new and cool Double Attack -A LOT of hidden items and weapons (which make the game more depth...because you can end the story but not have all....gotcha;) -the Metals (money)....finally we have a reason to repeat levels!!! -the first game in the world with ALL 2d gameplay but very strong 3d graphics and movie pics But of course not all the games are X-Cellent.....the bad thing are like the difficulty levels.....on easy mode you can easly on 3 or even 2 days complete the game. also the game is (again) short for a ps2 game.....one first level....8 bosses level....2 other level and the final......ONLY 12....the number may be kind of big.....but the large in each level is not that long. CAPCOM SHOULD NOT PUT DIFUCULTY LEVEL (or maybe just Normal and Hard) SO THE DIFFICULTY WILL HELP THE SHORT GAME. MegamanX8 is a great game.....incredible detailed graphics....depth story.....more weapons and upgrades that the saga has ever had....lot of HIDDEN items ( i write it like that because if you are playing without any cheat or hint it will be very difficult to complete the game in 100%........well in easy mode....much of the items are already in the R&D lab).... MY OPINION: max 10 GRAPHICS: 9 SOUND EFFECTS AND MUSIC: 7.5 STORY (well...this is only for fans): 7 FUN FACTOR: 8 GAMEPLAY: 7.5 DEPTH AND VARIETY: 8.5 im sure Caocom has no excuses for not make an incredible MegamanX9 for the ps3 (i said becuase the next year the ps3 is gonna come out and Capcom surely want to make Megaman great again) unfortunetly Capcom made a HUGE error with MegamanX7.....that was just a failure.....and has lost some fans. I dont know what happened, Capcom make the megaman series evolved very good....from NES to SNES with MegamanX.....form the SNES to the Playstation with MegamanX4....and also x5 and X6 were great....unfortunetly they were almost the same..........but with X8.....MEGAMAN HAS COME BACK BAY!!....YEAH!! who could think...that Im Colombian? Expand
  9. JonL.
    Feb 7, 2005
    The best Mega Man X game yet. No X game can compare to it's greatness.
  10. MarcD.
    Mar 26, 2005
    I'm not being sentimental. I'm not some old fuddy duddy. Its fact. Mega Man is meant to be played in 2D. Stop messing around and go back to your roots Capcom. Not everything is better in 3D. Ask Contra and Castlevania.
  11. Msonic
    Apr 24, 2005
    Wow. It seems Capcom finally learned their lesson. After of all of the huge disappointments of X5, X6 and X7. (Which X5 and X6 weren't bad, unlike X7) X8 really did go well, infact I think it's close to be great as X4 and X2. (my favorite X games)
  12. DinoS.
    Dec 10, 2004
    One of the best megaman games ever.
  13. KipR
    Nov 28, 2009
    A real cool game. Probably my favorite since the very first. There are two bummer levels, but besides that, that game is exciting through every second. Maybe not the top choice for those who dislike 2D side-scrollers, but a treasure trove for those who are fans.
  14. Apr 26, 2016
    I love this game. The level design is fresh, the three playable characters all have their own moves and play styles, and the guitar-heavy soundtrack is superb. Getting all of the X parts are fun and rewarding, and the boss battles are good. The amount of cheats, hidden objects, and hidden metals to find and discover is quite commendable for a mega man game, too. Also, while it has its badI love this game. The level design is fresh, the three playable characters all have their own moves and play styles, and the guitar-heavy soundtrack is superb. Getting all of the X parts are fun and rewarding, and the boss battles are good. The amount of cheats, hidden objects, and hidden metals to find and discover is quite commendable for a mega man game, too. Also, while it has its bad moments, the story and VA are decent.

The thing that makes me hesitate when introducing this under-rated gem to others is gigavolt man-o-war's level. It's poorly designed as well as really difficult. On normal or hard, I'd play this level last if you want to keep your sanity. This level is a stain on what is otherwise a 9/10 game.

Overall, I've enjoyed this game for years and would recommend it to any fan of mega man games. After the disaster that was X7, it's truly impressive that Capcom bounced back with a game this good
  15. Dec 25, 2015
    May I present to you way better that X7 has a better sound track gameplay mavericks and everything than X7 Megaman X8!!!! I cant believe that this is the the final true Megaman X game in my opininion its definetly the best
  16. May 27, 2016
    I love it . Very amazing game for 2D game 2004 on PlayStation 2 . Graphics is awesome for Playstation 2, storyline is amazing and many characters - Megaman, Zero and other, but my favourites are Zero and Megaman (Special Zero) . Many cool attacks and move . Excellent Special move from Megaman and I think this game is best game about Megaman . There is Megaman Collection which the has gotI love it . Very amazing game for 2D game 2004 on PlayStation 2 . Graphics is awesome for Playstation 2, storyline is amazing and many characters - Megaman, Zero and other, but my favourites are Zero and Megaman (Special Zero) . Many cool attacks and move . Excellent Special move from Megaman and I think this game is best game about Megaman . There is Megaman Collection which the has got all Megaman X Games Megaman X3,X4,X5,X6,X7,X8 . I think Megaman franchise is very good . I love it . Expand
  17. Jul 21, 2016
    Mega Man X8 is okay but it is flawed still. The gameplay is now getting stall and the graphics are meh. The controls are mediocre. So this game is just okay. Not that special.
  18. Aug 20, 2016
    Diferente dos que muitos dizem, acho o x8 um otimo jogo, graficos lindos, jogabilidade classica, isso aqui nao é um x7, é um x do snes e ps1 com grafico de ps2, o jogo é otimo

#52 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2004
#24 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2004

1. Eliminates some of the annoyances of its predecessor. However, while that's all well and good, X8 can still often be an intensely frustrating game, and still isn't especially fun.
  2. And while the whole trial-and-error mechanic is enough to make you throw your controller down and never return, there's a rewarding feeling when you do finally win.
    The story's dry as a bone, but that's not what you're playing Mega Man for anyway. The only truly glaring flaw: there are some lame 3D shooter sections, and while they aren't as frustrating (or prolific) as those in X7, surmounting them will still test your patience more than your ability with a joypad.