9.0

1. Mar 14, 2014
    I incredibly enjoyed Mercenaries due to the Open World experience only before seen in Grand Theft Auto. The thought that there are other things than the main story was mind-blowing when I first played it, having not played any Grand Theft Auto game at that time. The dynamic environment was what sealed the deal for me. The ability to blow up buildings, hijack helicopters and call in airstrikes? This game was amazing!

The only reason this is a 9 and not 10 is because there were a few annoying Glitches I found in the game.
  2. Sep 12, 2013
    While it is a little rough around the edges, it's still a ton of fun. It's basically GTA: War

Graphics are decent, but the desolate landscape feels so lifeless and bland it does give it a little bit of a sterile look when nothing is blowing up. Luckily there is almost always action in the game, so this is a minor point.

Main characters are very well voiced and give varied enough
    performances to warrant you playing through more than once just to hear the dialogue. Particularly Mattias, who is just awesome!

Overall:
    It isn't perfect but is allot of fun and worth a go.
  3. Aug 3, 2013
    Mercenaries advertised itself as a more extreme Grand Theft Auto and, for a short while at least, there is certainly some fun to be had traversing to game world causing as much destruction as possible. Unfortunately the limitations of the PlayStation 2 and a lack of imagination on the part of the developers mean it can never live up to its ambition.

The gameplay itself changes very
    little from start to finish and the repetitive nature of the missions means it is often actually more enjoyable to just not bother with them. Add to this some terrible enemy AI and you have an ambitious title that just doesn't quite work the way it should. Expand
  4. Hades
    Mar 20, 2005
    I finally got around to playing Mercenaries and I have to say it is an enjoyable SINGLE player game, though a bit over-praised.. The game strikes me as a mixture between Hitman and Grand Theft Auto, which would seem to be a stunning melding of two great series.. and it is really really good, but I think you might get the general enjoyment or 'use' from this title with merely a rental. Definitely a good game, though not neccesarily 'great'... Driving becomes tedious rather than fun, and the cars handle a bit clumsily at times (or is it more realistically?) Granted, the interface to the various menus is implemented very well, and the graphics are pretty good (though the PS2's hardware is definitely beginning to show age...) The main thing the game has definitely going for it as greatly unique is the destruction you can cause, the physics of destroying things is pretty impressive. Though, I found for me the novelty seemed to wear off a bit quicker than I'd have hoped after reading most reviews. Collapse

1. A rare gem that surpasses expectations and stands as an extremely fun and engaging action game.
  2. In the end, a pared-down multi-player extravaganza does not a great single-player experience make. This game has a lot of good things going for it, but they exist in departments that ultimately don’t matter.
  3. One of the few games that has a lot of flaws but still manages to be a blast to play. There are numerous glitches and bugs, and the game’s pacing can be a bit slow (driving from area to area), but once you get in a big ol’ firefight, those things become distant memories.