8.7

1. ChrisP.
    Apr 8, 2004
    MGS2 is a fun game, but the cutscenes are way to long. Also you barely play as Snake. You have to play as the girlish Raiden. He doesn't punch he slaps the guys and he looks as if he has the features of a 12 year old.
  2. JalleyO.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Having absolutely loved the original "Metal Gear Solid", I was really anticipating this one. Unfortunately, this game is a monumental bust. The plot, widely and rightfully ridiculed, is absurd and impenetrable. Yes, I didn't necessarily play this game to be blown away by it's storyline, but I most certainly didn't expect to encounter something as mind-numbingly ludicrous as Having absolutely loved the original "Metal Gear Solid", I was really anticipating this one. Unfortunately, this game is a monumental bust. The plot, widely and rightfully ridiculed, is absurd and impenetrable. Yes, I didn't necessarily play this game to be blown away by it's storyline, but I most certainly didn't expect to encounter something as mind-numbingly ludicrous as this. The numerous, endless cut scenes scattered throughout this game also tax one's patience. Your final completion time will undoubtedly consist of roughly 50% cut-scene nonsense. That's just inexcusable. The sequencing here was also quite flawed. After completing the "Tanker" storyline with Snake at the beginning, you're then inexplicably thrown into the role of Raiden and treated to beginner's lessons, this despite the fact that you already were thrown to the wolves for a few hours as you made your way through the tanker! Absolutely bizarre. I did actually enjoy the "Tanker" round. And the game does gather some momentum when you finally reach the President and Emma Emmerich. But that's not nearly enough warrant a recommendation. You'd be much better off slamming though another round of the PSX original than to suffer through this underwhelming sequel. Expand
  3. ZiggyS.
    Mar 31, 2003
    I didn't think it was very fun. nearly 50% of the 'gameplay' was watching your character talk. all the talk establishes a ridiculously story. it's a tale you might expect to have come from an insane asylum - complete with random events, and pointless characters.
  4. JPDupras
    Sep 25, 2003
    Yeah, it's like a movie. A very polished, action-packed movie too, and for a while you'll think it's the greatest game ever made. That is until you get towards the end and it all falls apart, and what was once a cool action movie/game, becomes the most horrible, pretentious, ill-conceived movie ever made (the "game" part gets lost in there somewhere). In the end, it's Yeah, it's like a movie. A very polished, action-packed movie too, and for a while you'll think it's the greatest game ever made. That is until you get towards the end and it all falls apart, and what was once a cool action movie/game, becomes the most horrible, pretentious, ill-conceived movie ever made (the "game" part gets lost in there somewhere). In the end, it's not a game anymore, it's an aberration, and the most over-hyped game in history. Reviewers obviously didn't play through to the end, and if you value your sanity, you won't either. Expand
  5. B.S.
    Sep 13, 2005
    10 for addictive game play, first half plot, and graphics. 5 for preachy religious story line towards the end.
  6. J.R.
    Apr 4, 2003
    I found the gameplay in MGS2 to be too touchy and frustrating. Often what you need to do is tricky and the touchy controls can really screw things up for you. Plus the plot was silly. Lets face it, video games aren't cheap, so rent this one and you'll be fine.
  7. EdwardB.
    Oct 22, 2005
    Overated. A long and complicated plot that involves zen, reality, patriotism (not a good mix) ...does not equal a good plot. Cut scenes never end ... You play as Raiden for 2/3rds of game. He's a weak minded whimp who verges on looking like a girl .. Didn't we all buy this to play as Snake??? FInished it because I bought it. Felt personally obligated since I wasted time and Overated. A long and complicated plot that involves zen, reality, patriotism (not a good mix) ...does not equal a good plot. Cut scenes never end ... You play as Raiden for 2/3rds of game. He's a weak minded whimp who verges on looking like a girl .. Didn't we all buy this to play as Snake??? FInished it because I bought it. Felt personally obligated since I wasted time and money on this. I know that Manhunter and Suffering are not the same "type" of game but how did this get such a high rating??? The only good thing is I bought this for only 6 to 7 bucks...I guess its worth that. Expand
  8. CoryP.
    Oct 9, 2005
    Let me explain why 5 for those of you who care. I rate on a system of smash or trash and part of this game was a smash and the other part was trash (pretty much a ray of sunshine shining on the half of the game disc that isn't under a pile of turd.) The perfect score goes to the tanker level when you are the main man Snake (whoot!) and then when you swith to Raiden its better to just Let me explain why 5 for those of you who care. I rate on a system of smash or trash and part of this game was a smash and the other part was trash (pretty much a ray of sunshine shining on the half of the game disc that isn't under a pile of turd.) The perfect score goes to the tanker level when you are the main man Snake (whoot!) and then when you swith to Raiden its better to just switch off the system. Even if we needed him for a part in the whole metal gear series why did they make him a limp wristed pillow biter, to make things worse they give his a girl friend whose twice as annoying as he is. One final thought, I wonder if anyone filed a lawsuit against faulty advertising on the company, for those of you who fisrt bought it did it once show raiden in the commercials, or did it mention his name on the back of the game case, NOPE. so why did they go and give us a nice (*cough* "crappy" *cough*) surprise when Raiden did show up. Puzzling ain't it. Expand
  9. Uter
    Sep 5, 2003
    While there are things I really liked about MGS2, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  10. NinjaMafia
    Aug 10, 2003
    This is a pretty disappointing sequel for me. Sure the graphics are nice but the gameplay is monotonous at times. All you do basically is hold people up and then shoot them. Sure there are a few boss battles and gun fights , but they ultimately fall short of what MSG had going for it. The enviroment was horrible. First off, it is day throughout most of the game and when its not day its This is a pretty disappointing sequel for me. Sure the graphics are nice but the gameplay is monotonous at times. All you do basically is hold people up and then shoot them. Sure there are a few boss battles and gun fights , but they ultimately fall short of what MSG had going for it. The enviroment was horrible. First off, it is day throughout most of the game and when its not day its the end of the game. The whole facility you are sneaking around in is Orange, and call me crazy but that doesn't seem stealthy. The storyline however was deep, but it strayed way to far from what the other metal gears stories where like. Lastly the game is extremely short. I beat this game in around 3 hours when I skipped theridicuosly long cutscenes (Iswear some cut scenes were 30 minutes long) Overall the game is not horrible. I just wish the game captured the essence of MGS. Expand
  11. NelsonL.
    Oct 16, 2002
    Yes this game is beautiful, and yes, the gameplay is still incredible. But please, the story is really awfull, with 10 minutes long scenes where you can do nothing but get bored to death. And for the Bosses you'll fight, they are the most ridiculous I ever saw in a video game (a big fat guy on rollers, a cliche vampire, a poor cow-boy with a schwarzy arm... baahhh !). Really disapointing.
  12. Acnone
    Jan 4, 2002
    It's good but I HATE that new guy. I mean go to hell you long haired freak. Solid could kick you ass without trying. Solid snake FOREVER!
  13. RyanM.
    Jun 18, 2004
    I know i may regret this, but i really don't know if i enjoy this series too much. However hard i try, i can't manage to get used to the sneaking aroundness. If your reading this your probably a big metal gear fan and won't give a damn about what i say, but is it really as good as people are proclaiming it is. I fail to see it...
  14. Micd
    Nov 8, 2005
    Ok, cutseens are very long, gameplay aint so good, so why bother? this game waz overrated . i gave it a five, but it even deserves a four!
  15. AndrewC.
    Apr 12, 2006
    The only reason I gave this game a 6 is because the gameplay was awesome. The game itself, when comparing it to MGS, it complete and utter crap. The storyline is atrocious, the characters not memorable, and the entire experience lacks the intensity and originality of its predescor.
  16. Dec 3, 2012
    The second game in the MGS series is probably the oddest one too. In this game, you start off as Snake, carrying out a mission to discover the new Metal Gear. From this point, we skip some time and are introduced to Raiden, a new member of Fox. The further you infiltrate the area, the more the veil of a new terrorist plot wears off. The gameplay didn't change, as it's still a stealth game.The second game in the MGS series is probably the oddest one too. In this game, you start off as Snake, carrying out a mission to discover the new Metal Gear. From this point, we skip some time and are introduced to Raiden, a new member of Fox. The further you infiltrate the area, the more the veil of a new terrorist plot wears off. The gameplay didn't change, as it's still a stealth game. A few new weapons and items are introduced, most important being the Stun Gun and the Freezer. The story is quite immersive, but doesn't feel as deep as in the first game. The fact that you don't play with Snake is also a clever way of saying he's trying to skip the radar. This is proven as you meet him multiple times, calling himself Iriquois Plissken. The game was okay, the bad guys weren't as scary as in the first game -except Fortune- and the ending -Solidus being the third Snake- is rather weak and a typical move for a sequel. Also the fact that Solidus is supposed to be the perfect clone, yet Snake having a more physique liking to Big Boss is a flaw that I didn't see Kojima make. This game is definitely the weakest link in the series, but still deserves a certain gratitude for being a greater game than most out there. Expand
  17. WesleyW.
    Jan 3, 2003
    The quality is there, but there's too much trial and error gameplay for my liking. Many times you'll get to a part, die, and have to redo it. Another complain would be that the details aren't all that impressive. How about some freaking bullet holes in the walls when you shoot them? They forget to add that, and yet include all kinds of obscure things many people may not The quality is there, but there's too much trial and error gameplay for my liking. Many times you'll get to a part, die, and have to redo it. Another complain would be that the details aren't all that impressive. How about some freaking bullet holes in the walls when you shoot them? They forget to add that, and yet include all kinds of obscure things many people may not ever notice (like when you walk through a puddle and make wet footprints guards will notice them). Anyways, it's a good game, but HUGELY over-rated in my opinion. Expand
  18. GregS
    Aug 20, 2008
    It's good but NOWHERE near as good as the original.
  19. Serra
    Dec 5, 2001
    Seems like a lot of games get a good score because of it's look...yea, I know, that's what the higher end consoles are there for, better graphics/sound, but that's like saying Star Wars I was a good movie because the SPFX were great. I liked this game, don't get me wrong, but it's kinda short and a few too many cutscenes for me. I felt like I was watching a movie Seems like a lot of games get a good score because of it's look...yea, I know, that's what the higher end consoles are there for, better graphics/sound, but that's like saying Star Wars I was a good movie because the SPFX were great. I liked this game, don't get me wrong, but it's kinda short and a few too many cutscenes for me. I felt like I was watching a movie more than playing a game, especially with the dang Codec peeping every few minutes. Expand
  20. ChrisJ.
    Feb 5, 2002
    I love the game itself. The plot does lend itself to a few obsurdities though. Also if there wasn't 30 minutes of video to every 15 minutes of play I would have enjoyed it more. It was hard to get into it b/c of the lack of playing time.
  21. MikeH.
    May 13, 2002
    Ok, the graphics, sounds, etc is great. But maaaaan, those movies take up freaking lots of time. Just when u think the action starts, yet another movies begins...... Also i find the control pretty hard, but that's maybe because i'm used to playing games on a pc (with keyboard).
  22. SeanR.
    May 24, 2002
    The gameplay and graphics are superb but does anyone else find it has too many video sequences and there is too much contact through the radio. Also his girlfriend is a soppy pain in the ass!!!!
  23. Bobbie
    Oct 26, 2003
    It was pretty good but some things could be better.
  24. YouL.
    Apr 7, 2003
    I think this game should have more weapons. No cupbroad plz, may be other interesting thing to fool the soldiers.
  25. R
    Mar 9, 2008
    Gameplay is pretty good but it is definitely spoiled by the stupid storyline and the boring chatting spread all over the game.
  26. JasonB.
    Nov 16, 2005
    I love metal gear solid, and if I were to rate just the part of this game that you actually play as solid snake, I might give it a 9 or 10, but the rest would get a 6 from me. Raiden is an uninteresting character, and the story is far too sci fi for my tastes.
  27. DanielT
    Nov 19, 2009
    Confusing plot twists, unlikable main character, though the introduction of first-person shooting was welcomed.
  28. Apr 21, 2015
    Hideo, just make films instead!

Several years after their release I finally started to dip my toe into the PS2 era Metal Gear games, and my initial feelings are mixed. I don't hold any particular reverence to this series, I did play the NES games but apparently those are a mix of rubbish ports and non-canon. My first impressions had me wondering what the fuss was about - the controls
    Hideo, just make films instead!

My first impressions had me wondering what the fuss was about - the controls are clunky, the fixed camera angles are a nuisance and movement is non-intuitive - crouching and hugging walls my main problem. The fixed camera angles mean when it's top down I can't see further than ten feet in front of me. There is a radar showing enemies and cones of vision, but I can only use that if I log in to a 'node', stealth is all well and good but goes out the window when I don't have complete control of my field of vision.

The story is compelling, but the gameplay didn't do it for me. The constant interruptions from codec and custcenes are frustrating, and I never actually felt that I was playing a game. Of the ten hours it took me to complete, I guess about three was actually myself controlling things, the rest was conversations, cutscenes, explanations and more exposition than anyone needed. At around the point in the game where we enter Arsenal Gear, I was really enjoying myself, but I realised it wasn't because of the gameplay.

An important game for sure, definitely influential, but I don't feel that it has anything to do with what goes on on-screen when the player is in control.

1. The environments are amazing, when on the deck of the tank the rain effects are extremely lifelike, along with rain drops hitting the ship and characters.
  2. As stunning and enjoyable as ever. You may feel foolish gripping the controller throughout a 40-minute cut scene, but MGS2 is something which must be experienced.
    MGS2 suffers in its story. I can't spoil it for you, but I can at least warn you to be prepared for a plot that frequently reaches levels of sheer absurdity.