8.8

1. DanEues
    Jan 10, 2002
    I agree with ACONE, the new guy looks kinda gay but im not going to give it a freakin 5. The game doesnt deserve a 10 either. The guys you call on the codec dont help a bit so your kinda forced to go wandering around. Other than that the game is good. I give it an honest 8.
  2. JohnP.
    Nov 2, 2002
    Great.
  3. GupinderK.
    Oct 7, 2002
    Overall i give this game a 9 out of ten.. i was well scripted gameplay, graphic storyline etc. highly recommended.
  4. AlexanderJ.
    Feb 12, 2002
    Very nice game.
  5. SolidSnake
    Feb 21, 2002
    This game is way better than the first, but raiden sucks.
  6. ChrisJ.
    Feb 5, 2002
    I love the game itself. The plot does lend itself to a few obsurdities though. Also if there wasn't 30 minutes of video to every 15 minutes of play I would have enjoyed it more. It was hard to get into it b/c of the lack of playing time.
  7. DanS.
    Mar 20, 2002
    A truly amazing game graphics and gameplay is outstanding but the only thing that made me give it an 8 is the fact ur not snake for most of the game, and I don't feal the same about MGS2 than i do about MGS, and its very short but still a game worth getting.
  8. TimH.
    Mar 23, 2002
    I loved the first game: Metal Gear Solid! But Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is better but a hell lot worse later on! The Tanker is great and real cool but the rest sucks! "Metal Gear Raiden 2" and the worst ending ever in a video game! I hope if they make a third game, that you won't play as any other characters than Solid Snake and that they create a better ending instead of I loved the first game: Metal Gear Solid! But Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is better but a hell lot worse later on! The Tanker is great and real cool but the rest sucks! "Metal Gear Raiden 2" and the worst ending ever in a video game! I hope if they make a third game, that you won't play as any other characters than Solid Snake and that they create a better ending instead of this crap! Hideo just wanted to be fired and get his retire money! I hope the other director is a hell of a lot more smarter then Hideo! Expand
  9. KenW.
    Mar 27, 2002
    The gameplay and graphics are fantastic, but the story is simply too confusing and doesn't make a lot of sense. Raiden (the new main charcter) didn't bother me at all.
  10. DaveE.
    Apr 11, 2002
    As has already been said, the graphics are incredible and the controls and the level of interaction with the environments are unprecedented. But unlike MGS for the PSX, the story line in this title ranges from interesting at the start to an insanely overblown comic book-style tale. MGS2's predessessor had a mostly believable story and more character developement. Now, if only we As has already been said, the graphics are incredible and the controls and the level of interaction with the environments are unprecedented. But unlike MGS for the PSX, the story line in this title ranges from interesting at the start to an insanely overblown comic book-style tale. MGS2's predessessor had a mostly believable story and more character developement. Now, if only we could have the characters and story line of MGS combined with the graphics and gameplay of MGS2... Expand
  11. MikeH.
    May 13, 2002
    Ok, the graphics, sounds, etc is great. But maaaaan, those movies take up freaking lots of time. Just when u think the action starts, yet another movies begins...... Also i find the control pretty hard, but that's maybe because i'm used to playing games on a pc (with keyboard).
  12. SeanR.
    May 24, 2002
    The gameplay and graphics are superb but does anyone else find it has too many video sequences and there is too much contact through the radio. Also his girlfriend is a soppy pain in the ass!!!!
  13. BobC.
    Jul 9, 2002
    The plot is really bad but the gameplay makes up for it. This is one of the best video games I have ever played next to Dragonball GT Grand Champions.
  14. Hitomi
    Aug 2, 2002
    The game on european extreme mode is great but i am disappointed about the lack of solid snake and raiden lookes like a girl. the only thing i wish was different is that you could get a metal gear ray free with the game. lol!!!(laugh out loud)
  15. Bobbie
    Oct 26, 2003
    It was pretty good but some things could be better.
  16. MarkL.
    Feb 13, 2003
    Metal gear is amazing should keep em coming.
  17. ChadR.
    Apr 16, 2003
    Good game but needs a new aproech to the game play.
  18. YouL.
    Apr 7, 2003
    I think this game should have more weapons. No cupbroad plz, may be other interesting thing to fool the soldiers.
  19. FernandoC.
    Jan 26, 2004
    Que excelente juego... aunque a mi parecer demasiado tiempo en videos.... pero no importa... vale la pena! el juego es excelente sin dudarlo Recomendado.
  20. CozoniW.
    Apr 11, 2005
    Who cares about the plot, its the gameplay that matters.
  21. EhabA.
    Sep 13, 2005
    Metal Gear games will always be the best and Metal Gear Solid 2 is also so cool even if Raiden took Snakes place but with Snake off course the gameplay will be even better.
  22. FredB.
    Oct 16, 2006
    One of my all-time favorite games ever. The only reason I think it's not a 10 is because there wasn't enough of snake, but besides that the game rocks.
  23. DavidK.
    Mar 29, 2007
    This is an amazing game. Raiden does not make this game worse. He makes it better.
  24. ToneSR
    Dec 19, 2008
    I bought this game the day it came out but I can't remember when since it was so long ago. I was still popping pimples and watching Nickolodean back then. I am a huge fan of the original on PSX. MGS2 doesn't live up to the original but that's a hard ass feat to meet. I think we were all enamored with the innovative graphics and gameplay back when MGS for PSX debuted. The I bought this game the day it came out but I can't remember when since it was so long ago. I was still popping pimples and watching Nickolodean back then. I am a huge fan of the original on PSX. MGS2 doesn't live up to the original but that's a hard ass feat to meet. I think we were all enamored with the innovative graphics and gameplay back when MGS for PSX debuted. The initial frustation with MGS2 occured about 1 hour into gameplay when I realized I would be playing with Raiden. All this waiting and we have to play with an effeminate blonde haired dude? Once you get past that and see the game for what it really is you'll learn to enjoy it. At the time, the graphics were groundbreaking and the story is constructed very solidly. Warp yourself back to this game's heydey, enjoy its storyline and you'll experience one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences ever created! Expand
  25. R
    Mar 9, 2008
    Gameplay is pretty good but it is definitely spoiled by the stupid storyline and the boring chatting spread all over the game.
  26. AndyV
    Jun 4, 2008
    A must play game that unfortunately has too many flaws to call it a classic: -It in no way has the same impact the original had on gaming. The original was pretty much the first cinematic game ever, with a movie like presentation. The story and characters were more believable and more intricate/refined than the ott characters of mgs2. Moreover, the set pieces were more memorable and the A must play game that unfortunately has too many flaws to call it a classic: -It in no way has the same impact the original had on gaming. The original was pretty much the first cinematic game ever, with a movie like presentation. The story and characters were more believable and more intricate/refined than the ott characters of mgs2. Moreover, the set pieces were more memorable and the bulk of the gameplay was more fun in the original mgs. -In terms of design the game is quite flawed; The game breaks down once you're spotted as aiming with a gun from cover is a mess (see towards the end of the tanker scene where you are forced to take on guards in a corridor). After an amazing first chapter, the second chapter is tedious at best - you spend the first hour watching codec conversations then the next 2 hours freezing c4 bombs in a very repetitive environment. MGS1 had its flaws such as the ridiculous staircase scene being chased by guards that are out of sight or the stupid 3 temperature card key mission but with 4 years and the new ps2 tech theres no excuse not to learn lessons and fix simple design issues like this. -As mentioned the characters don't compare to Sniper wolf, Revolver Ocelot (god damn that stupid arm and liquid ocelot...) or Psycho Mantis. Raiden is possibly the second most annoying character in a game behind the announcer in fuzion frenzy 2 - hes such a week pathetic pussy. Lets just hope konami and kojimas team have played some western games in the last few years and that mgs4 has corrected all the gameplay/design flaws of the previous games. Expand
  27. AnonymousMC
    Jul 15, 2008
    Everithing is great, except for that new guy.Raiden basically is a damn n00b, he doesn't assimilate things, it's all the time "how?" "why?" "what?".Seriously, if FOXHOUND was real, i would ask myself 5000 times : "How the hell that guy entered FOXHOUND?His brain must be of the size of a peanut, and that f***ing gay hair of his...I mean, no offense, but he look like one of theEverithing is great, except for that new guy.Raiden basically is a damn n00b, he doesn't assimilate things, it's all the time "how?" "why?" "what?".Seriously, if FOXHOUND was real, i would ask myself 5000 times : "How the hell that guy entered FOXHOUND?His brain must be of the size of a peanut, and that f***ing gay hair of his...I mean, no offense, but he look like one of the Jonas Brothers in the middle of a covert operation." Can you imagine how that would be??? Expand
  28. andrewh
    Nov 4, 2009
    Great game but so confused wtf is up with ocelot why did he all this when in mgs 4 you relise its for good ffs the ending of mgs 4 ruined the great series so confused
  29. TimC.
    Dec 17, 2001
    This is a great game for a beginner, but anyone who played the first Metal Gear shouldn't have any trouble with this game. The codec tranmissions and the cutscenes are extremely too long and take the excitement away from playing the game.
  30. ThomasL.
    Feb 24, 2002
    Man, it's just the best game ever made on earth!!!!
  31. JohnS.
    Mar 18, 2002
    I love the graphics, gameplay, and sound, but the plot, acting and the characters are so bad. Only if the game stayed with Snake as the main character, it could've been a little better and definitely Mei Ling as the game saver, not Rose.
  32. JordanT.
    Jun 12, 2002
    One of the greatest games ever made. Awesome Graphics, Gameplay, and Storyline. Give you hours of fun.
  33. AnonymousMC
    Aug 27, 2002
    I love this game. The makers put so much work into it-- every little detail is amazing. Sure, the game is short, and the storyline isn't great, but I enjoy playing MGS2 so much I barely even pay attention to those things. The game also has a great sense of humor. I find myself laughing at how realistic some parts of the game are. The only thing I don't like is the gore andI love this game. The makers put so much work into it-- every little detail is amazing. Sure, the game is short, and the storyline isn't great, but I enjoy playing MGS2 so much I barely even pay attention to those things. The game also has a great sense of humor. I find myself laughing at how realistic some parts of the game are. The only thing I don't like is the gore and violence. But the game emphasizes on stealth...you can avoid the violence almost completely. Over all, because of that, I think the game is one of the best. Expand
  34. StevenF.
    Nov 7, 2003
    I gave this game an 8 because it was very interesting of they copied metal gear solid 1, its pretty much the same thing, and you should use snake through the whole thing since its pretty much about snake and now about jack, so that was pretty stupid, and it was pretty stupid of how the ninja was olga gurlukavich it just doesnt make sense, but other than that the gun fights and all theI gave this game an 8 because it was very interesting of they copied metal gear solid 1, its pretty much the same thing, and you should use snake through the whole thing since its pretty much about snake and now about jack, so that was pretty stupid, and it was pretty stupid of how the ninja was olga gurlukavich it just doesnt make sense, but other than that the gun fights and all the action really got me more into the game, and im really hoping to play metal gear solid 3 snake eater. Expand
  35. Raidensolid
    Oct 21, 2004
    I thought it was the best metal gear they have came out with in that year. actualy it is wut inspired me to be a game desinger. i hope there is more to come in the metal gear saga.
  36. JasonB.
    Nov 16, 2005
    I love metal gear solid, and if I were to rate just the part of this game that you actually play as solid snake, I might give it a 9 or 10, but the rest would get a 6 from me. Raiden is an uninteresting character, and the story is far too sci fi for my tastes.
  37. JohnB.
    Mar 27, 2007
    This game was GREAT but some of the story line just sucks.
  38. DanielT
    Nov 19, 2009
    Confusing plot twists, unlikable main character, though the introduction of first-person shooting was welcomed.
  39. BrandonE.
    Nov 14, 2001
    Good game.
  40. FrankX.
    Dec 15, 2001
    Falls short in a few aspects, like story line, and length of the game. Overall quite fun.
  41. NickT.
    Nov 21, 2009
    Well.....the game it's self is better. But the plot was boring and confusing. Let me show you. First off, you start the game playing as Solid Snake.......untill you finish the level. Then you find yourself playing as a complete wuss named Raiden.(no, not the guy from Mortal Kombat) As you run around the giant base-island-thing, Raiden finds himself encountering a vampire-like guy, Well.....the game it's self is better. But the plot was boring and confusing. Let me show you. First off, you start the game playing as Solid Snake.......untill you finish the level. Then you find yourself playing as a complete wuss named Raiden.(no, not the guy from Mortal Kombat) As you run around the giant base-island-thing, Raiden finds himself encountering a vampire-like guy, (no body glitter) a lady who (for no explained reason) has her heart on the right side insted of the left, and a fat dude who rides rolarblades. But Raiden finds help along a solider who looks just like SPOILERS.Then it all goes wrong when he gets captured, then a lot of partial nudity, helpful advice from Cambell, and the suprise apperance of SPOILERS later. He fissions the mail and then most confusing plot twist ever occurs. (Raiden, I am your SPOILERS) Then like something out of a sertain movie that has to do with "stars" and "wars", Raiden defeats his SPOILERS and the game ends. Collapse
  42. Apr 21, 2015
    Hideo, just make films instead!

Several years after their release I finally started to dip my toe into the PS2 era Metal Gear games, and my initial feelings are mixed. I don't hold any particular reverence to this series, I did play the NES games but apparently those are a mix of rubbish ports and non-canon. My first impressions had me wondering what the fuss was about - the controls
    Hideo, just make films instead!

My first impressions had me wondering what the fuss was about - the controls are clunky, the fixed camera angles are a nuisance and movement is non-intuitive - crouching and hugging walls my main problem. The fixed camera angles mean when it's top down I can't see further than ten feet in front of me. There is a radar showing enemies and cones of vision, but I can only use that if I log in to a 'node', stealth is all well and good but goes out the window when I don't have complete control of my field of vision.

The story is compelling, but the gameplay didn't do it for me. The constant interruptions from codec and custcenes are frustrating, and I never actually felt that I was playing a game. Of the ten hours it took me to complete, I guess about three was actually myself controlling things, the rest was conversations, cutscenes, explanations and more exposition than anyone needed. At around the point in the game where we enter Arsenal Gear, I was really enjoying myself, but I realised it wasn't because of the gameplay.

An important game for sure, definitely influential, but I don't feel that it has anything to do with what goes on on-screen when the player is in control.
  43. Nov 22, 2015
    If Metal Gear Solid was the first modern video game, then Metal Gear Solid 2 was absolutely the first post-modern video game. After such lofty expectations were placed on director Hideo Kojima after MGS1, instead of pandering to fans expectations Kojima created what is often cited as one of video gaming's most intelligent and self aware games ever created.
    Two years after the Shadow Moses
    Two years after the Shadow Moses incident Solid Snake has been tipped off about the U.S military possessing a new Metal Gear as a nuclear deterrent, Metal Gear RAY. As such he infiltrates a navy vessel in search of this new Metal Gear, though what he finds is correct, he is ambushed by the only surviving member of FOXHOUND, Ocelot. Having lost his arm in MGS1, Ocelot has grafted Liquid Snake's on in replacement and is now under the influence of Liquid. As a result Snake is killed when Liquid Ocelot activates Metal Gear RAY.
    Two years later, rookie Raiden is sent in to the Big Shell tanker which is has been captured by terrorists claiming to have nuclear weapons, lead by Liquid Ocelot. What follows is one of the most mind bending and simply unforgettable deconstructions of video games as we know it. Oh an a pretty great game too.
    It plays almost identically to the original Metal Gear Solid, the graphics at the time pushed the PS2 to breaking point and is arguably one of the systems finest looking games.
    The true beauty of Metal Gear Solid 2 lies in it's story, one that will throw every conceivable plot twist at you as well as the rulebook for what video games can and can't do. It's a once in a lifetime experience.
  44. Mar 20, 2015
    It's so funny to watch the bad reviews of someone. You need to make a review and thinkin of the time that he game was released.

This game was created 2001!!!! 2001!!!. I mean seriously, put me an overall game of that year and compared to this.....i remember the first time i play this it was 2004 or 2005, and i like the game so much, it was like "a good game for that years", but then

This game was created 2001!!!! 2001!!!.

I mean seriously, put me an overall game of that year and compared to this.....i remember the first time i play this it was 2004 or 2005, and i like the game so much, it was like "a good game for that years", but then i realised that this was one of the first PS2 games, and the first games was really so wack.

Look at the PES games, it was he same but with betters graphics compared to the PSOne, same for all the others saga, expect Metal gear and Grand Theft Auto the two games use the full-potential of the tech of the PS2 by that time.

This was the first GREAT game for the PS2, and i really need to put a 10 on this. Because, if i was playing this on 2001 it's obviously that i will be shocked. Look the youtube videos of the CES 1999 and 2000, the people can't believe it the amazing graphics.

The story was not the better compared with the others titles of the saga, but i really appreciate the work of Kojima to try to put a very complete history. With this game he says than this saga was based on the history more than the game, and that's how the real fans get it. Most of the people don't understand that, but i prefer to play this than watching a movie..Some people just seeing movies, others just play games, i prefer a large movie that i can feel like i'm the protagonist of that, and Kojima knows how to do it.
  45. Apr 6, 2013
    a freaking PS2 era masterpiece here you have it the best in the metal gear solid quadrilogy and the series great graphics because it took full advantage of the PS2's hardware and pushed the graphics to the limit and gameplay was super fun i will never forget this game story was freaking amazing too just an amazing masterpiece
  46. Jun 30, 2013
    Good:Story,Mystic feeling about patriots,Snake,Otacon,Ocelot,solidus,Music.Plot twists.
    Bad:Ending where they show america and snake,raiden telling about joy and etc... things credits music.

Its like a pretty good holywood cinema.
  47. Oct 13, 2013
    With the success of MGS1, Kojima was catapulted into superstardom, He got his big break and by 1999 he had already finished the outline to a sequel.

The 1999 draft was translated into English a few years later and the game was originally going to be called "Metal Gear Solid III" to represent Manhattan 's three tallest skyscrapers, the new protagonist Raiden was created to be more appealing to women, become a "Dr. Watson" to Solid Snakes "Holmes" helping us to provide an alternate view on a character who pretty much became an icon in the industry.

A few original ideas had Snake looking for Nuclear weapons in Iraq and Iran culminating in another Metal Gear encounter as well as the return of Liquid Snake, political correctness and growing tension between countries ended this setup and due to the horrific 9/11 attacks the games ending was heavily altered to remove scenes of destruction and American symbolism.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was released November 2001 on the PS2. The exposure and marketing of this game was insane, Harry Gregson Williams was brought in to compose the soundtrack, The graphics and gameplay had a major overhaul and Konami had released titles featuring demos, merchandise and game stills none of which featured the inevitable main protagonist Raiden.

MGS2 is split into two chapters. Chapter 1 "The Tanker incident" is set in 2007. Snake (David Hayter) and Otacon have formed an organization "Philanthropy" specifically created with the purpose to destroy all Metal Gears after becoming available on the black market due to Ocelot, Whilst Infiltrating a Tanker supposedly holding an "Anti-Metal Gear" Metal Gear the military operated ship is hijacked by Russian soldiers in cahoots with Ocelot who plan to steal the new amphibious Metal Gear RAY. Snake makes he's way to the storage hold in time to see Ocelot reveal his true intentions betraying the Russians, and escaping the sinking ship in MG RAY, seeing Snake Ocelot's mind is suddenly taken over by that of Liquids and Snake observes that Ocelot has Liquids arm grafted onto his body (Ocelot lost his arm to Gray Fox in the previous game).

Chapter 2 "The Plant" begins in 2009 on an oil rig that was designed to clean up the tanker incident two years prior. the terrorist unit "Dead Cell" and their leader "Solid Snake" have claimed the plant plus the president and hostages at ransom demanding billions or they will create the "worst natural disaster in history". A Reformed FOXHOUND run by Col. Campbell sends a soldier codenamed Snake to save the president and stop the terrorists, It is here revealed that a new protagonist Raiden (Quinton Flynn) not featured in any box art or hinted anywhere is to be the star of MGS2. What happens next is a story of plot twists, bizarre coincidences, new characters, long cutscenes and overall a moral that becomes ridiculously full circle towards the end of the game and is executed so well most people associated MGS2 as the first example of post modern video gaming.

Raiden would leave a sour taste in many peoples mouth, true the execution is very flawed considering how adult the situation is. it was obvious that in Japan he became a very popular manga hero whereas many people in the west would be left polarized, in all honesty however it's not THAT bad and considering it's now 2013 and how drastic the character has changed, I do miss seeing a little bit of a naïve Raiden as it was obvious he would never the god-like status Snake reached.

Snake is back as this ridiculous fighting force by Hayter's performance satisfying fans and relaying wisdom to Raiden with the help of Otacon and his sister Emma, Sadly though the villians all have little to no personality other than shallow motives, I know that's a horrible thing to say but look how astonishingly fleshed out MGS1's villians were. Vamp is a goddamn vampire which is never explained until future sequels, Fortune (Lady Luck) remains completely unsympathetic throughout. Fatman's gone in seconds and "Solid"-us Snake the THIRD clone of the Big Boss Lineage has interesting ambitions yet terrible execution. Ocelot however continues to steal the show throughout revealing ridiculously large intentions, making him my favourite antagonist in any video game series.

The music cues are wonderfully superb as ever, the story's pace falls flat in some areas regardless of 45min cutscenes, BUT when the overall plot unfolds you will be stunned at how well Kojima nailed the hammer on the head in regards of not playing to audiences expectations, the inevitable future of the internet, being a pawn in a situation, Censorship and leaving a legacy etc.

Overall Kojima had the once in a lifetime chance of giving the player something back, if there's is anything to take from Playing MGS2 is that it is possible to be moved regardless whatever form of media and for the time it was released THAT'S AMBITIOUS. I do like MGS2 but it is a diamond in the rough that is far from polishe
  48. Jun 20, 2013
    Kojima,you did it again!
    After superb Metal Gear Solid,you again made the world flip.
    You start with Solid Snake,the hero we all know and love,and theeeeeeeeenn he's (supposedly) dead. Kojima then introduced as to Raiden ,(later) badass who was part in army's 21st trials.(which means he is trained by video games like this) Plot unfolds,Snake isn't dead(YAY!),Liquid isn't actually dead
    Kojima,you did it again!
    After superb Metal Gear Solid,you again made the world flip.
    Kojima then introduced as to Raiden ,(later) badass who was part in army's 21st trials.(which means he is trained by video games like this) Plot unfolds,Snake isn't dead(YAY!),Liquid isn't actually dead (YAY?) and Big Shell incident is a recreation of Shadow Moses. Raiden tries to save president,he dies.
    Raiden tries to save Emma Emmerich,Otacon's sister,she dies by Vamp,romanian wizard with knives.
    Raiden gets naked,gets his stuff back,than gets badass sword.Snake and Raiden go all badass on MG Rex then defeat it.Raiden fights with Solidus Snake,who is supposedly Big Boss's perfect clone.
    Raiden defeats him,credits,end!
    Kojima,you beast,you did it again!
  49. Jul 11, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Impressive visuals feels a little cartoonic but still its great
    Sound:
    nicely done
    Game play:
    Classic metal gear style
    Story:
    Amazing story line
    overall MGS2 is a well made game but not completely
  50. Aug 25, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid is an absolutely remarkable series. The first MGS game is the first title in a very long time that I remember wanting to play again immediately after finishing it, and I did the same with this one. The soundtrack is fantastic, from the actual music, to the way the guns sound to the sound of footsteps; all amazing. The graphics were stellar for the time period. The gameplayMetal Gear Solid is an absolutely remarkable series. The first MGS game is the first title in a very long time that I remember wanting to play again immediately after finishing it, and I did the same with this one. The soundtrack is fantastic, from the actual music, to the way the guns sound to the sound of footsteps; all amazing. The graphics were stellar for the time period. The gameplay is some of the best I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. There are however, a few minor detractors for me:

1: Raiden. The popular complaint. I just didn't like his character. Over the top annoying and emotional.
    2: (Spoilers): The Metal Gear Ray boss fight. Not difficult once you know what to do, but so horribly repetitive.
    3: The dialogue between Raiden and Rose is just...so unnecessary and cheesy.
    4: The story at times feels convoluted, but it's actually really great in my opinion.

That's really all I can say that is negative about this game. It is one of the greatest games I have ever played. With that said, I know these games are not for everyone. I, however, absolutely love them and that's why this game, as well as the first MGS, both get 10's from me.
  51. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is a real trip. Strange and cheesy, it still manages to be really cool in its execution. The spltting of the story is a powerful choice, but hasn't been seen by many fans as a good one. I tend to disagree. Raiden, who at first seems like an excuse to create a more anime-centric character, comes into his own rather quickly. He has a personality and style all his own, but stillThis game is a real trip. Strange and cheesy, it still manages to be really cool in its execution. The spltting of the story is a powerful choice, but hasn't been seen by many fans as a good one. I tend to disagree. Raiden, who at first seems like an excuse to create a more anime-centric character, comes into his own rather quickly. He has a personality and style all his own, but still controls like Snake in the long run. It might as well be a skin swap.
    Having played this directly after the first Metal Gear Solid, a few aspects of this game stood out as improvements, and others detracted. A great improvement was made to gunplay, which was clunky on the directional pad, but shines a little brighter on a stick. The character movement is better as well, allowing for various speeds of stealth. One thing that caught me a bit off guard was the enemy ai, that at times seems very sensitive, and at other times they are dull as rocks. It's a frustrating thing to often trudge through the trial and error, but I feel like this was done on purpose to create a greater sense of urgency. Like most of Kojima's games, it is pretty genuine in its design. It allows itself to be more than what you see, and this installment adds more depth and sophistication to an already established system. There is an "epic" atmosphere, even in confined halls or battling ridiculous bosses.
    The conspiracies run deep in this one, and at first glance the plot is a bit of a cluster but a person willing to pay attention will find a detailed tale full of political intrigue and mystery. Even the inclusion of the oddly named "Solidus" wasn't so bad. The controls are a bit dated now and some practice is needed, but it shouldn't be a problem for someone committing to a good time. This is the real dividing point in the series, you can take it or leave it. It doesn't capture the same charm as the first, but its attention to detail is so strong it outplays many games even now.
  52. Sep 1, 2013
    One of my personal favorite games, and one of the best to grace itself on the PS2. Having not played Guns or the Patriots yet, this is by far the best in the series. The storyline, while outlandish and silly, is still engaging, shocking and damn right one of the best in a video game. The graphics were stunning, the gameplay updated loveably from the first, and the characters feel likeOne of my personal favorite games, and one of the best to grace itself on the PS2. Having not played Guns or the Patriots yet, this is by far the best in the series. The storyline, while outlandish and silly, is still engaging, shocking and damn right one of the best in a video game. The graphics were stunning, the gameplay updated loveably from the first, and the characters feel like people rather than goals to be reached.
    I see people saying don't fall for the hype, don't waste your money. Rubbish. We, the people make hype for games, and this game deserves it, and your money. Stealth action at its best, its still one of the most decent games money can buy.
  53. Aug 30, 2013
    While not as great as the original it did improve the gameplay of the series by a lot. First person mode aiming for every weapon, and all the cool melee moves, interrogating the guards, shooting them in the leg were all fun stuff to do... The storyline is its only lackluster field in my opinion but I guess this can be understood, since it was one of the very first games for the ps2, so theWhile not as great as the original it did improve the gameplay of the series by a lot. First person mode aiming for every weapon, and all the cool melee moves, interrogating the guards, shooting them in the leg were all fun stuff to do... The storyline is its only lackluster field in my opinion but I guess this can be understood, since it was one of the very first games for the ps2, so the technical part might have been more important to the devs. Expand
  54. Jan 8, 2016
    Raiden, something happened to me last Thursday while I was driving home. I had a couple miles to go... suddenly, I saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly. Suddenly, there was intense light all around. And when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?
  55. Dec 10, 2014
    One of the most anticipated sequels of all time, "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty" is bigger, and mostly better. Graphics and art design still looks amazing over 13 years later, very life like character animations, fantastic voice acting, wide cast of interesting characters and better stealth mechanics make "MGS2" the definition of a sequel done right. And after awhile, I learned toOne of the most anticipated sequels of all time, "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty" is bigger, and mostly better. Graphics and art design still looks amazing over 13 years later, very life like character animations, fantastic voice acting, wide cast of interesting characters and better stealth mechanics make "MGS2" the definition of a sequel done right. And after awhile, I learned to appreciate the most over the top story I have ever experienced. Expand
  56. Jan 23, 2014
    Great game. Don't understand the hate for it. Sure the story may not be that great, but the game play was fun. Kind of like Crisis core. Great game play, ignorable story. And you also can't call Raiden a cry baby and ignore it when Cloud does it.
  57. Mar 15, 2014
    This game somehow manages to take the original Metal Gear Solid, which was a masterpiece in its own right, and one up it in almost every aspect. Sure, the bosses aka. Dead Cell in Sons of Liberty don't leave quite the impression that FOXHOUND did on the player in MGS1 and the boss fights are less imaginative as well as less difficult, the overall gameplay of MGS2 is much more complex andThis game somehow manages to take the original Metal Gear Solid, which was a masterpiece in its own right, and one up it in almost every aspect. Sure, the bosses aka. Dead Cell in Sons of Liberty don't leave quite the impression that FOXHOUND did on the player in MGS1 and the boss fights are less imaginative as well as less difficult, the overall gameplay of MGS2 is much more complex and ultimately superior. Expand
  58. Jul 16, 2014
    the gameplay is absolute bliss, the story although very complicated, is very interesting and a huge asset to the appeal of the game. there are a few things wrong though. I do wish you could play as snake, because raiden does get pretty annoying, but after a while once you get to learn more about his character, he doesn't end up being that bad, infact I like raiden. the plot sometimes feelsthe gameplay is absolute bliss, the story although very complicated, is very interesting and a huge asset to the appeal of the game. there are a few things wrong though. I do wish you could play as snake, because raiden does get pretty annoying, but after a while once you get to learn more about his character, he doesn't end up being that bad, infact I like raiden. the plot sometimes feels ridiculous because of all the twists and turns it takes throughout the entire game, but is still enjoyable and quite necessary to set the plot for future titles. I love this game, but I don't think its quite as good as the first game which I consider a perfect game, this one having a few problems which in reality are just popular nitpicks among players Expand
  59. Jul 6, 2014
    If you have a PS2 or PC (MGS2: Substance) buy this. Best game ever what I played. Good story, Good Characters... But the only problem the little hard control this problem after 10 minutes playing not hard.
  60. Aug 22, 2014
    Despite being not as big as mgs1 and making you play as raiden instead of snake. Mgs2 still does a lot of things right, it has simpler controls, it added new (and good) stealth mechanics. And the gameplay is way more accesoble for new players.
  61. Dec 27, 2015
    Great game. I prefer MGS 1 and MGS 3 but this one is still excellent. Not crazy about the voices of some characters and some musical choices. Solid scenario, visuals, and gameplay.
  62. Sep 22, 2014
    Best game, would fap again. Yeah, boo **** hoo you're not snake, but it's still really fun. Nude run and final boss battle made it the most bestest MLG game ever.
  63. Nov 5, 2014
    I remember when this game first came out and all of us were like stunned by the details and the graphics, it's amazing what the series became. Anyways, sorry so back on point, this game is amazing. It's not overly long, but just right and it's sad at some parts and can be challenging if you want to make it that way. I beat it first then went back and tried doing mostly stealth kills whichI remember when this game first came out and all of us were like stunned by the details and the graphics, it's amazing what the series became. Anyways, sorry so back on point, this game is amazing. It's not overly long, but just right and it's sad at some parts and can be challenging if you want to make it that way. I beat it first then went back and tried doing mostly stealth kills which makes you learn to appreciate the game a lot more. This is definitely one of the best PS2 games of all times, and you should try it if you're able to find it. It's definitely worth time you put into it. Expand
  64. Oct 25, 2014
    Do I even have to say anything about this.It is in my top 5 best ps2 games of all time and it was easily the best game of 2001.Well done Konami and Hideo Kojima,you gave us one of the best games of all time !!!
  65. Oct 7, 2015
    Continuing the legend with an addition of a very well written character, Metal Gear Solid 2 did not disappoint and it had very large shoes to fill. Have played all MSGS as they were released. Give this a play.
  66. May 11, 2015
    One of the best games on playstation 2. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it.
  67. Jan 29, 2016
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons Of Liberty is a very mixed bag if there ever was one, first of all,lets talk about the gameplay. The gameplay and graphics have been massively improved from MGS1, no longer awkwardly pixelated character models, instead fully relying on detailed clothing and facial structures. The gameplay is more or less the same with a few tweaks, the inventory system still usesMetal Gear Solid 2 Sons Of Liberty is a very mixed bag if there ever was one, first of all,lets talk about the gameplay. The gameplay and graphics have been massively improved from MGS1, no longer awkwardly pixelated character models, instead fully relying on detailed clothing and facial structures. The gameplay is more or less the same with a few tweaks, the inventory system still uses the left and right triggers to function, but if a guard sees you, then you have a limited amount of time to take them out before they call for help, making it easier for you to make up for some foolish decisions. there is now a first person mode for firearms, allowing you to aim accurately with your weapons. Now, lets move on to the story, Sons Of Liberty takes place 2 years after the shadow Moses incident, where info of a design of the Metal Gear Ray has been leaked into the public, and now every PMC, the Navy, Military, Air Force, and marines has their own version of Metal Gear that they have developed or are developing. Solid Snake and Otacon devise a plan to get info of a metal gear variant that the U.S Marines have developed, and leak it to the internet. So Snake jumps aboard with Otacon on codec, and Snake infiltrates the tanker where the new Metal Gear is being held. Snake gets the pictures he needs and is just about to skedaddle, when Revolver Ocelot arrives and shoots up the marines and sets a timer of explosives rigged to the tanker, suddenly Liquid Snake takes control of Ocelots body for a minute and talks to Snake, before Revolver takes control of his body again, pilots the Marines new Metal Gear, called Ray and escapes , while the tanker gets blown to smithereens. 2 years later, the site where the tanker sunk has been built into a environmental facility to take care of the oil that spilled when the tanker sunk. A terrorist group called The Sons Of Liberty , whose leader claims to be the long lost Solid Snake, who was thought to have been killed during the Tanker incident. The Sons Of Liberty demand 30 billion dollars in cash or they will blow up the Big Shell, causing a global environmental disaster. so Sna- no, Raiden jumps in to steal Solid Snakes spotlight for the rest of the game, probably the biggest bait- and-switch of all time. Now I don't want to spoil what happens on the Big Shell, because i think you should experience it for yourself, but i will say that near the end of the game, you'll have trouble figuring out what the hell is going on. apart from that, MGS2 is a game worthy of the 30 dollar price tag and i would recommend you picking this one up. Expand
  68. May 2, 2015
    Excellent my favourite game in the series so far. I love the storyline and it kept me interested for hours. The gameplay was fantastic I loved the boss fights as they weren't too difficult but they still had a bit of a challenge to them. The soundtrack was exquisite and it easily made the story more empowering and it made every sad scene just a lot sad. The characters were great whilstExcellent my favourite game in the series so far. I love the storyline and it kept me interested for hours. The gameplay was fantastic I loved the boss fights as they weren't too difficult but they still had a bit of a challenge to them. The soundtrack was exquisite and it easily made the story more empowering and it made every sad scene just a lot sad. The characters were great whilst many could argue that Raiden was a disappointment as it was a step down from Solid Snake it didn't matter to me as it was in my opinion a secret way of showing Raiden as the player as it shows a clumsy character on his first mission with little to none experience just like the player who wouldn't have experience in a tactical espionage mission and its while i think of this it makes me like the character a lot more and it makes me respect Hideo Kojima a lot more. In conclusion I think it's a fantastic game and it is really worth the buy and after replaying it I can say this game is in my top ten video games. Expand
  69. May 28, 2015
    A Great sequel in terms of graphic's and gameplay but the plot could have been much better it was confusing and way too many cutscenes. plus playing as raiden wasn't as good as snakes gameplay
  70. Jun 21, 2015
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty improves upon Metal Gear Solid in every way. Despite this, from a modern viewpoint, the gameplay is clunky and is sometimes frustrating, especially in certain boss fights. Though, it is still an excellent game and worth playing for numerous reasons. The plot in particular is excellent, with multiple twists and turns. 13 years later, MGS2 is a ride worth taking.
  71. Jun 25, 2015
    Sequel to one of the best sellers on the PS1 comes the next giant leap in the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 did what most other games could not, it made the player question things they would've ignored if not asked, although the bait & switch with the main characters was not well recieved by some, it introduced Raiden in a necessary way so that he may become relevant in the future gamesSequel to one of the best sellers on the PS1 comes the next giant leap in the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 did what most other games could not, it made the player question things they would've ignored if not asked, although the bait & switch with the main characters was not well recieved by some, it introduced Raiden in a necessary way so that he may become relevant in the future games (Metal Gear Solid 4) Expand
  72. Sep 20, 2015
    This game is an absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word. It brings you closer to the real life post-traumatic stress disorder and the plights of child soldiers; something the other MGS games never truly touch upon or explore in depth.

Raiden as a character brings nuanced and surprising depth to the narrative that is unmatched across all MGS games. This was the only time I felt MGS shuffled off its fantasy coil of nanomachines and outlandish pseudoscience and went dark and gritty ... real to its core. The gameplay is localized and doesn't deter the player away from the main narrative.

Everything, from design to plot to game mechanics, adds to the overall package. If you are a fan of MGS and miss out on this, then I would consider it a grave error. If you are a gamer and decide to skip this, then I would call it a terrible choice. And if you are an MGS fan and dislike it, then I will outright question your gaming aesthetics.

All in all, this is an experience to be felt and lived through a Magic Circle. Raiden's tale, for all intents and purposes, is the pinnacle of Kojima's craft and is meant to be experienced like an avid story reader and a zealous gamer.
  73. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best action game ever made, and takes my pick as the second best game ever made behind Final Fantasy IX(their totally different, I know, but I have a wide range of tastes). I played this one before the first one, and came into it really biased, as I had only watched someone play the first one and thought it was stupid(I was wrong of course-the first one is great too). I had no idea how good the plot was, by looking at the back of the box I thought it was just infiltrating an oil tanker and the head boss would be like the captain or something silly......that was the worst judgement I ever made, as this games final cutscenes before the last battle are so epic, and you find out so much, everything is so cool! The biggest draw is having to play as Raiden, it would of worked if you were Snake the full game, he has similar objectives, with different boss battles and stuff. Although you wouldn't get to fight Fatman, who was the most fun boss fight and maybe the hardest. Another draw is Solidus is WAY to easy, at least on normal difficulty, after the 3 Metal Gears he seemed to easy and I only had to use one ration. The sneaking is genius, the scenes spectacular, the voice acting perfect, and the plot so good I almost think its true. Also the music is perfect, although there are only about 6 different tracks. The best scene is Snake and Otacon's handshake, one of the best moments in gaming. Genius. Buy it now, if you havent already. Expand
  74. Sep 1, 2015
    This game is brilliant. It's just one of the best games not only among PS2 games but All-time. This game had the best graphics in 2001, had a very different gameplay than the previous Metal gear solid and this game is still fun to play even after a decade.
  75. Oct 7, 2015
    Okay before this review starts JUST BECAUSE SOLID SNAKE IS NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THOSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT MOVING ON. Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is a **** fantastic and phenomenal game and probably the best in the series in terms of gameplay and perhaps story. As a fan of MG1, MG2, and the iconic MGS while people slam itOkay before this review starts JUST BECAUSE SOLID SNAKE IS NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THOSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT MOVING ON. Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is a **** fantastic and phenomenal game and probably the best in the series in terms of gameplay and perhaps story. As a fan of MG1, MG2, and the iconic MGS while people slam it for not having Solid Snake and hate Raiden the new main protagonist for looking like a girl just let that slide because Raiden is actually really interesting when you get into his backstory and see his sweet moves anywho you go on to infiltrate a place known as BIG SHELL which has been taken over by a terrorist group named DEAD CELL btw I should mention how "Creative" the names are it's almost funny at times. But gameplay, the music, the graphics, the Solid Snakes, the Raidens, the Metal Gears, everything is amazing for first time players of the game it should take about 15 hours or so unless you know the game like I did at one point then it should take you about 30 minutes excluding cutscences. But the camera is really hard to get used to for modern gamers or most people for that fact but I highly recommend you get the Metal Gear Legacy Collection for PS3 to stay true to Metal Gear tradition and once you buy that you have all canon metal gear games excluding Portable Ops, Rising, MGSV:GZ and MGS:TPP Expand
  76. Mar 26, 2016
    Mind blow! It starts as a "normal" spy game, but turns out to be a deep story, mind-blowing masterpiece! Everything in this game surprises me, with the characters, the story and the dialogue. I thought the game didn't have any more surprises when I was close to the end, but I couldn't be more wrong. This is probably the best ending of a game I've ever experienced. A really good experienceMind blow! It starts as a "normal" spy game, but turns out to be a deep story, mind-blowing masterpiece! Everything in this game surprises me, with the characters, the story and the dialogue. I thought the game didn't have any more surprises when I was close to the end, but I couldn't be more wrong. This is probably the best ending of a game I've ever experienced. A really good experience from start to end!

As you can expect from an old game, the gameplay in the game might not be the best, with a bit weird controls. It's a really hard game for that matter because I felt like I had to play around the controls, so to speak, angle myself and be prepared for much more instead of just aiming and shooting. Some boss battles forced me to stand in a certain position and try to aim where I knew he/she would stand (I might just be bad at the game). I also felt that the tutorial was a bit uninformative in some cases, but it was easy to figure it out when trying out different ideas (like the cockroaches). I also had problems with the Emma sequence, where the thermal vision didn't show anything and I had to shot and guess.

The boss battles in the game were really enjoyable! I actually preferred them over the ones in the first game. They are more challenging and interesting than the previous game. Except from the negative, this game is in my opinion a masterpiece.
  77. Apr 14, 2016
    The plot was really weird. The first MGS has better plot and level wise. I liked robbing the guards. Thats all i remmember being truly fun. The end was total **** i was bored and tired of the gameplay. I wish the sword was used earlier.
  78. May 22, 2016
    ¿Verdad que es un deseo nuestro? Las historias que se pierden y van por las mareas del tiempo.
    Se ve y siente ridículo pero es una emoción humana. Somos productos de nuestro tiempo y pocos de nosotros podremos salir de esa casilla pero cuanto vandra la pena si eso implica sacrificar nuestra felicidad.
    Esta entrega explora preguntas y pensamientos similares con mucho más detalle que la vez pasada.
    Pero antes de dejar que mi corazón se siga moviendo iré al punto por el cuál me leéis. Si te emocionan los personajes profundos y bien construidos, una historia emociante e intrigante y una excelente banda sonara este es tu juego, sin mencionar todavía el diseño artístico. Pero me temo que es así sólo ante los ojos pocos.
  79. Jul 25, 2016
    The story is great, but definitely not for everyone. Most players will dislike the story because it's long and very heavy. Either way the story is great.
    The gameplay is amazing, similar to the last, amazing.
    The graphics are AWESOME for the PS2 and 2001. Compare GTA 3 to this masterpiece in graphics!
  80. Jul 26, 2016
    felt like this game was just made for me. Kojima pushes the limits of the PS2's power to the limits with his visuals and the story can become overwhelming. Bisexual, immortal vampires, a Fatman on rollerskates who loves explosives, a woman wielding a rail gun bigger than herself and can't be hit by bullets. just to mention a few crazy things coming out of this brilliant game. As long asfelt like this game was just made for me. Kojima pushes the limits of the PS2's power to the limits with his visuals and the story can become overwhelming. Bisexual, immortal vampires, a Fatman on rollerskates who loves explosives, a woman wielding a rail gun bigger than herself and can't be hit by bullets. just to mention a few crazy things coming out of this brilliant game. As long as you don't go in expecting a realistic espionage spy type game, should be fun Expand

#1 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#3 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The environments are amazing, when on the deck of the tank the rain effects are extremely lifelike, along with rain drops hitting the ship and characters.
  2. As stunning and enjoyable as ever. You may feel foolish gripping the controller throughout a 40-minute cut scene, but MGS2 is something which must be experienced.
    MGS2 suffers in its story. I can't spoil it for you, but I can at least warn you to be prepared for a plot that frequently reaches levels of sheer absurdity.