8.7

1. DenzoN.
    Oct 2, 2002
    If you're looking for a shoot'em up game you will not find better than Metal Gear Soild 2. I have clocked it 5 times and i still haven't lost interest.
  2. TomR.
    Jan 1, 2002
    I can't see how anyone can give this game less than a 10 out of 10... it is like playing a movie. If you're looking for non-stop gameplay, go elsewhere, but this storyline, as absurd as it may be at times, thoroughly engulfs you as you become the character you're playing. Never before has this happened to me... this game is truly groundbreaking. Game of the year, 2001.
  3. Bruce
    Jan 7, 2002
    This was the best PS2 game that I have ever played, I don't care what other people say, it does NOT lack in story, and it is longer than the first, it took me 13 hours to beat.
  4. JeffB.
    Jan 7, 2002
    The graphics are cool but the game is a little to short.
  5. WhitebearS.
    Feb 10, 2002
    This is the tightest game ever, nothing will surpass this one, but I wanted to play as snake rather than raiden.
  6. DavinderC.
    Feb 4, 2002
    I think the game is quite good but snake doen't look very good!
  7. DomF.
    Feb 8, 2002
    This game is incredibly deep and has a twisty and surprising storyline. This game is better than the first.
  8. RaidenRules
    Mar 31, 2002
    The loser who hates Raiden has serious probs, I think that having a new character adds a new dimention to the game, making it more intersting!!! AND most of all fun, I think it is an amazing game!!!
  9. DanL.
    May 1, 2002
    Great graphics, stunning attention to detail, and great gameplay mechanics make this (along with Halo) one of the greatest games I've played on a modern console.
  10. SolidSnakeHayter
    Jul 2, 2002
    This game rocks! Snake looks really cool and old in this game. all the graphics were really cool too. the characters were really realistic and the game was too
  11. OerriderCrash
    Oct 28, 2003
    This game is wonderful.
  12. J.R.
    Apr 4, 2003
    I found the gameplay in MGS2 to be too touchy and frustrating. Often what you need to do is tricky and the touchy controls can really screw things up for you. Plus the plot was silly. Lets face it, video games aren't cheap, so rent this one and you'll be fine.
  13. Spencer
    May 4, 2003
    Although the game is great in every way (graphics, plot, camera, controls, etc.) the problems lies on the fact that the cut scenes within the game are too long and the playing time is too short. nevertheless metal gear solid sons of liberty is a game that every playstation owners should have on their shelves.
  14. NinjaMafia
    Aug 10, 2003
    This is a pretty disappointing sequel for me. Sure the graphics are nice but the gameplay is monotonous at times. All you do basically is hold people up and then shoot them. Sure there are a few boss battles and gun fights , but they ultimately fall short of what MSG had going for it. The enviroment was horrible. First off, it is day throughout most of the game and when its not day its This is a pretty disappointing sequel for me. Sure the graphics are nice but the gameplay is monotonous at times. All you do basically is hold people up and then shoot them. Sure there are a few boss battles and gun fights , but they ultimately fall short of what MSG had going for it. The enviroment was horrible. First off, it is day throughout most of the game and when its not day its the end of the game. The whole facility you are sneaking around in is Orange, and call me crazy but that doesn't seem stealthy. The storyline however was deep, but it strayed way to far from what the other metal gears stories where like. Lastly the game is extremely short. I beat this game in around 3 hours when I skipped theridicuosly long cutscenes (Iswear some cut scenes were 30 minutes long) Overall the game is not horrible. I just wish the game captured the essence of MGS. Expand
  15. RockmanSnake
    Aug 8, 2003
    This game is COOL!!! I enjoy getting all the dog tags and unlocking secrets, etc. Also it's fun to sneak around and hold someone at gunpoint, and you say to yourself that you won't kill him if he does what you want him to do. He does, but you kill him anyway! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  16. Uter
    Sep 5, 2003
    While there are things I really liked about MGS2, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  17. Chopin
    Jul 17, 2004
    The best action game ever made, and takes my pick as the second best game ever made behind Final Fantasy IX(their totally different, I know, but I have a wide range of tastes). I played this one before the first one, and came into it really biased, as I had only watched someone play the first one and thought it was stupid(I was wrong of course-the first one is great too). I had no idea The best action game ever made, and takes my pick as the second best game ever made behind Final Fantasy IX(their totally different, I know, but I have a wide range of tastes). I played this one before the first one, and came into it really biased, as I had only watched someone play the first one and thought it was stupid(I was wrong of course-the first one is great too). I had no idea how good the plot was, by looking at the back of the box I thought it was just infiltrating an oil tanker and the head boss would be like the captain or something silly......that was the worst judgement I ever made, as this games final cutscenes before the last battle are so epic, and you find out so much, everything is so cool! The biggest draw is having to play as Raiden, it would of worked if you were Snake the full game, he has similar objectives, with different boss battles and stuff. Although you wouldn't get to fight Fatman, who was the most fun boss fight and maybe the hardest. Another draw is Solidus is WAY to easy, at least on normal difficulty, after the 3 Metal Gears he seemed to easy and I only had to use one ration. The sneaking is genius, the scenes spectacular, the voice acting perfect, and the plot so good I almost think its true. Also the music is perfect, although there are only about 6 different tracks. The best scene is Snake and Otacon's handshake, one of the best moments in gaming. Genius. Buy it now, if you havent already. Expand
  18. Joe
    Oct 6, 2005
    A truly epic and unforgetable game.
  19. BenD.
    Jul 26, 2005
    The low point of the MGS trilogy, a high point in video games in general.
  20. B.S.
    Sep 13, 2005
    10 for addictive game play, first half plot, and graphics. 5 for preachy religious story line towards the end.
  21. Ryguy98Mgs4fan
    Feb 6, 2008
    I give it a 10 because there was a lot of freakin good graphics and the characters were different abillited people who has different personalities too! I hope metal gear will keep going until mgs6 ends. That's why i chose 10 for my ratings. Oh yeah also the first person view Is cool with the aiming on the aimsight.
  22. CodyB
    Jul 1, 2009
    The perfect masterpiece of the ps2, yet there are are some people that bitch & moan about how "horrible" THEY THINK the storyline is because either they don't PAY FULL ATTENTION or they're just totally mentally retarded to understand ANYTHING AT ALL. ANYBODY who rates this brilliant masterpiece a low score are inexperienced losers who just TRY to ruin gaming experiences for The perfect masterpiece of the ps2, yet there are are some people that bitch & moan about how "horrible" THEY THINK the storyline is because either they don't PAY FULL ATTENTION or they're just totally mentally retarded to understand ANYTHING AT ALL. ANYBODY who rates this brilliant masterpiece a low score are inexperienced losers who just TRY to ruin gaming experiences for other gamers because they have no lives of their own. Trust me, I am an true gamer and I know what a true masterpiece is, get this game or be like one of "them". Expand
  23. JamesR.
    Jan 20, 2002
    It's fun and easily one of the best games out.
  24. GiancarloS.
    Jan 31, 2002
    The best game out there, a little shorter than the first; but the graphics, sound and gameplay are just amazing...Solid Snake Rules!!!
  25. PsychoMantis
    Jan 31, 2002
    The original is still better overall. The graphics are great in this game with cool effects and it all runs smoothly. The sound effects are great too, but the audio side I have a complaint about, in some instances the music turned to jazz/lounge, which some people might be turned off by, like me. Those instances are far and few between though, so no biggy. The story is WAY confusing at The original is still better overall. The graphics are great in this game with cool effects and it all runs smoothly. The sound effects are great too, but the audio side I have a complaint about, in some instances the music turned to jazz/lounge, which some people might be turned off by, like me. Those instances are far and few between though, so no biggy. The story is WAY confusing at times and you may get lost, but it is still captivating and well told. My only other gripe is the game was too short and Rose's bitching to Jack every other Codec transmission, ugh. Expand
  26. MerylS.
    Feb 19, 2002
    The best game in the World!!!
  27. MarkM.
    Feb 21, 2002
    An excellent game and unless you're some kind of twisted demented freak type monster who has been living in space for the last 2 years, you will know what I say is true.
  28. RevolverOcelot
    Feb 3, 2002
    What can I say: perfect graphics, amazing gameplay and a storyline with so many twists that if you wrote them all down, you would finish on Metal Gear Solid 7's release date! I'm glad I'm typing this out, because I'm speachless! If you don't have a PlayStation2, then buy one just for this game: it's worth the £249.98!
  29. Rob1
    Feb 6, 2002
    This game is really good and fun but it lacks in length!
  30. JayC.
    Mar 10, 2002
    Brilliant graphics, gameplay, sound...story line gets very, very twisted and almost spoils it. Two downers tho'...the game is way too short and not as intense as the first metal gear and being raiden instead of snake doesn't make it fell the same for me...but if you ain't got it...go get it...its amazing!!!
  31. VulcanRaven
    Mar 10, 2002
    Metal Gear 2 is the best game ever !!! If you don't agree with me u must be crazy.
  32. D.T.
    Mar 10, 2002
    A truly great game. Buy it now!
  33. ChrisdaG.
    Mar 18, 2002
    I got it the thursday before the day it came out and I finished it on extreme by the saturday. The game is great but top short, when mgs3 comes out in uk, I want it to be longer.
  34. AdamL.
    Mar 22, 2002
    I just finished it... This is surely the most amazing game ever released. Nothing compares to the amazing cut scenes, the amazing graphics, perfect gameplay, and awesome music. If you don't already have this you need it now! You will either love or hate the story, I personally loved it (Although the 1st MGS was better), but regardless of that the awesome gameplay alone should have I just finished it... This is surely the most amazing game ever released. Nothing compares to the amazing cut scenes, the amazing graphics, perfect gameplay, and awesome music. If you don't already have this you need it now! You will either love or hate the story, I personally loved it (Although the 1st MGS was better), but regardless of that the awesome gameplay alone should have you desperate for this game! Expand
  35. StewartL.
    Mar 30, 2002
    Stealth the the most revolutionary thing ever to happen to video games. Attention to detail is astounding. You can shoot ice buckets and ice will fall out! That's not all. The ice cubes in groups take longer to melt then the single ones!!
  36. MoneyMaker
    Mar 8, 2002
    I say no more...It speaks for itself.
  37. MichaelH.
    Apr 24, 2002
    One of the best games out on the PS2 contains good graphics but is too short.
  38. NicholasJ.
    May 4, 2002
    This game rules. You can throw people over banisters and break there necks. I've played this game 14 times, and I never get bored of it.
  39. JasonL.
    Jun 9, 2002
    The plot and interaction with supporting characters are both pathetically corny. Unlike many others I will not be fooled into thinking this is a great game just because of some pretty cutscenes (which happened to be way too long).
  40. ZiweiT.
    Dec 9, 2003
    This game is great in EVERY WAYS except that i have to use raiden(Jack) for the most of the game. I don't know why some gamers think that the plot towards the end is hard to understand but i understand it fully.
  41. WesleyW.
    Jan 3, 2003
    The quality is there, but there's too much trial and error gameplay for my liking. Many times you'll get to a part, die, and have to redo it. Another complain would be that the details aren't all that impressive. How about some freaking bullet holes in the walls when you shoot them? They forget to add that, and yet include all kinds of obscure things many people may not The quality is there, but there's too much trial and error gameplay for my liking. Many times you'll get to a part, die, and have to redo it. Another complain would be that the details aren't all that impressive. How about some freaking bullet holes in the walls when you shoot them? They forget to add that, and yet include all kinds of obscure things many people may not ever notice (like when you walk through a puddle and make wet footprints guards will notice them). Anyways, it's a good game, but HUGELY over-rated in my opinion. Expand
  42. CodyH.
    Oct 5, 2003
    This is one of the best games I played, I can't wait till more Metal Gear Solid games come out!
  43. Bander
    Oct 7, 2003
    It was a remake of MGS:1 dont u people listen to the game line and think about the storyline SAME ONE.
  44. TobiasR.
    Apr 5, 2003
    A supergame, the lengthy cutscenes can be forgiven, the codec moments is irritating. But the gameplay rocks. It's a high adrenaline pumping game with spectacular graphics.
  45. DANIELL.
    May 25, 2003
    THIS GAME ROCKS.THE GRAPHICS AND EVERYTHING.WHOEVER SAYS THIS GAME SUCKS IS A SORE LOSER.
  46. AdamV.
    Jun 18, 2003
    But playing with Raiden is like Neo taking the blue pill, the joke sould have stopped at the point in the game where Vamp kills those marines!
  47. AndrewJ.
    Jun 30, 2003
    This game is really top notch, and is the closest you'll get to being a real James Bond!
  48. GarrethO.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Perfect just not quite as good as the origional as far as storyline goes but hell, look at it! You feel for every character, it's like a film you have the priviledge to play...god bless Kojima.
  49. Alex
    Sep 25, 2003
    Beautiful! Leaves a sweet taste after having played.
  50. MarkH.
    Nov 9, 2004
    I'm totally late on this one. whatevs. Metal Gear Solid 2, along with it's predecessor and hopefully it's successor, belong among the best games of all time. This game is beautiful, challenges the player's expectations, provides a story that is deep and challenging (to a fault at the ending,) but incredibly involving and epic, with a strong message. Metal Gear Solid 2 I'm totally late on this one. whatevs. Metal Gear Solid 2, along with it's predecessor and hopefully it's successor, belong among the best games of all time. This game is beautiful, challenges the player's expectations, provides a story that is deep and challenging (to a fault at the ending,) but incredibly involving and epic, with a strong message. Metal Gear Solid 2 is the true realization of the video game as an art form. Anybody who has ever picked up a dual shock controller absolutely needs to play this game. Expand
  51. JavierA.
    Jan 5, 2004
    How could you give a low score to this game... you got to be out of your mind. Excellent graphics, sound, control over the character is great, camera features, the story line is good and of cure it's violent, has guns and everything, that's why all games get "RATED" so parents can control and decide what their children play; even ?cartoonnetwork? has explicit violence Alicia please!!!!
  52. Jeffbighead
    Jun 10, 2004
    This game was great. The story will keep you craving for more, with the plot twists and the extreme dramatic scenes, this could be one of the most pollitically incorrect games in the gaming market today. I have played this game after playing the remake of the first one so none of the gameplay elements besides the new weapons have surprized me. I liked the first one a lot more because it This game was great. The story will keep you craving for more, with the plot twists and the extreme dramatic scenes, this could be one of the most pollitically incorrect games in the gaming market today. I have played this game after playing the remake of the first one so none of the gameplay elements besides the new weapons have surprized me. I liked the first one a lot more because it didn't leave me hanging like this one did, and I didn't have to watch some girls die just to save their children. I also liked the first one more because they didn't introduce all the patriot stuff and mess up all the government crap like they did in this one. Plus I was looking forward to seeing solid Snake kick some ass again! But instead we were left with Raiden and his dumbass girlfriend. Expand
  53. EdwardB.
    Oct 22, 2005
    Overated. A long and complicated plot that involves zen, reality, patriotism (not a good mix) ...does not equal a good plot. Cut scenes never end ... You play as Raiden for 2/3rds of game. He's a weak minded whimp who verges on looking like a girl .. Didn't we all buy this to play as Snake??? FInished it because I bought it. Felt personally obligated since I wasted time and Overated. A long and complicated plot that involves zen, reality, patriotism (not a good mix) ...does not equal a good plot. Cut scenes never end ... You play as Raiden for 2/3rds of game. He's a weak minded whimp who verges on looking like a girl .. Didn't we all buy this to play as Snake??? FInished it because I bought it. Felt personally obligated since I wasted time and money on this. I know that Manhunter and Suffering are not the same "type" of game but how did this get such a high rating??? The only good thing is I bought this for only 6 to 7 bucks...I guess its worth that. Expand
  54. GaryJ.
    Jan 6, 2005
    Plot is HORRIBLE. Totally ruins the franchise. Gameplay is good, but with a plot so awful, why bother?
  55. AnonymousMC
    Mar 3, 2005
    I hated this game and I'm going with the rest of the other brutally honest people here and tell you straight up this game sucks. I wanted to write the people responsible for this game and tell them exactly how gay the end was. I'm currently running around naked on this game that never seems to end. Where am I supposed to go now, wait you know what I don't care because II hated this game and I'm going with the rest of the other brutally honest people here and tell you straight up this game sucks. I wanted to write the people responsible for this game and tell them exactly how gay the end was. I'm currently running around naked on this game that never seems to end. Where am I supposed to go now, wait you know what I don't care because I hate this game and I'm tired of hearing how the colonel was a north american fireworm in his past life. My only last wish is that there were numbers lower than 0 so I could give this one a lower score. Collapse
  56. BastardCerature
    Oct 8, 2006
    Erm, this is a pretty neccesary part in the MGS story line? You like Solid Snake? Play this damn game, because, well, you can play as him for a while, and he is in most of it! And we all know you cannot find Solid Snake anywhere else...other than some kind of Metal Gear game, which, there ins't many of, so, yeah, play this game, dumbass.

I mean, MGS is not a sitcom, its would be

I mean, MGS is not a sitcom, its would be like refusing to watch one episode of "Three's Company", thats okay, there is a billion of them, but saying you hate this game, and are not going to play it, is like saying "Well damn, I don't think I'll watch Empire Strikes Back "BECUZ IT OMGZZ GHEY!!!11", oh, hey, waht the hell happened here? Where is han solo? Why are the robots in a desert? WTF?"
  57. BenM.
    Jun 27, 2006
    Best. game. ever.
  58. CharlieG.
    Jun 6, 2006
    Sure, the storyline sucked (a lot) and was very hard to follow, but everything else is nothing short of spectacular.
  59. KristmundurS.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Sons of Liberty is sequel to the hit Metal Gear Solid. The game makes some great improvement to Metal Gear Solid. This game has still the most impressive graphics on the PS2. New gameplay elemts have included, such as rolling, hanging, First Person aiming and many more. The enemy AI has also improved. The game offers some great and interesting elements along with a great plot but the Sons of Liberty is sequel to the hit Metal Gear Solid. The game makes some great improvement to Metal Gear Solid. This game has still the most impressive graphics on the PS2. New gameplay elemts have included, such as rolling, hanging, First Person aiming and many more. The enemy AI has also improved. The game offers some great and interesting elements along with a great plot but the story is a little weaker than that of MGS1's. The players arsenal has also widened and Boss battles are also fun and memorable. The only problem fans of the first game have is a new playable character is introduced in the game's second half whose name is Raiden, a rookie. This game offers much more replay than MGS1 which is to play the game again to look for hidden items and collectable stuff and the PAL version gets an extra DVD. This is great sequel to a classic game and needs to be played. Expand
  60. ChrisZ.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Metal Gear's story line stands out as the top daddy in video games next to Warcraft.
  61. CameronC.
    Apr 20, 2007
    This game is crazy. The story keeps changing. Just when you think you have it sussed they throw you back into the deep end. Nice graphics too.
  62. AlexB.
    Jul 1, 2007
    A truly brilliant game. Hideo Kojima is an exceptional artist, and via technical wizardry brings to life an exciting, complex, and interesting story, rife with plot twists and unique characters. The controls may take a short learning curve, but they eventually become second nature and any obtuseness just adds to the difficulty factor that keeps you on the edge of your seat. As many A truly brilliant game. Hideo Kojima is an exceptional artist, and via technical wizardry brings to life an exciting, complex, and interesting story, rife with plot twists and unique characters. The controls may take a short learning curve, but they eventually become second nature and any obtuseness just adds to the difficulty factor that keeps you on the edge of your seat. As many reviews note, if you're a fan of videogames and own a PS2, there is no reason not to play this game. Expand
  63. Nick
    Aug 5, 2007
    I like reading comments on MGS2. It's fun to compare the complete idiots and people who actually have a brain. "The game sucks! I'm too stupid to understand the story!" "You play as Raiden instead of Snake, now I can't have gay fantasies while I play! Worst game ever." "The gameplay is lame! I can't run around with a bazooka wtf!??? I wanna blow up everyone!!!!" If you I like reading comments on MGS2. It's fun to compare the complete idiots and people who actually have a brain. "The game sucks! I'm too stupid to understand the story!" "You play as Raiden instead of Snake, now I can't have gay fantasies while I play! Worst game ever." "The gameplay is lame! I can't run around with a bazooka wtf!??? I wanna blow up everyone!!!!" If you can't appreciate great graphics, incredible music, a storyline on par with movies and stealthy gameplay perhaps GTA is more your kind of game. As it is, Metal Gear Solid 2 will always be remembered and cherished by those who want depth in their games. Expand
  64. SolidSnake
    Mar 30, 2008
    To be honest, I hated working on this game.

Working conditions sucked, salary was even lower than it was in MGS1, and the script was complete bullshit. Except for my parts, of course.

Hm... here's my advice. Just play through the Tanker Chapter and move on to MGS3. It'll save you a lot of hours of drudging through boring missions and a ridiculously asinine storyline.
  65. JW
    Jun 4, 2008
    I am a huggge MGS fan an i am eagerly awaiting MGS4. MGS2 was that 'odd' title you usually get in a groundbreaking franchise. whilst it innovated on graphics, gameplay, music and sound...the story was way to far fetched. i love my games with depth, but this went TOO far. towards the end of the game, it just delivered plot twist after plot twist and not all of them in any sense I am a huggge MGS fan an i am eagerly awaiting MGS4. MGS2 was that 'odd' title you usually get in a groundbreaking franchise. whilst it innovated on graphics, gameplay, music and sound...the story was way to far fetched. i love my games with depth, but this went TOO far. towards the end of the game, it just delivered plot twist after plot twist and not all of them in any sense good...BUT, at the same time, you follow it with ears perked up. however, the game contained it's usual collection of great characters, a fave of mine being Vamp, the seemingly immortal being. the gameplay is fantastic! sneaking has never been so much fun. there are numerous ways to do your objective and you can go through the entire game without killing anybody. i will say one thing though, MGS2 starts off amazingly...with some of the best moments in game history. the tanker section should of been how the game went all the way through, not on the tanker all the way through, but with snake as your main character and the game following the same structure as it did in the tanker. overall, this game is a solid game and a masterpiece...i think lol...despite its flaws. Expand
  66. MGSForever
    Aug 10, 2008
    This game is what i consider sheer perfection. True its storyline can become convoluted at sometimes, but if you ignore that then get ready to be immersed in one of the best games money can buy. I swear, this game changed my stance on video games.
  67. TomB
    Aug 1, 2008
    Solid. The visuals, gameplay, and plot are excellent. But it's not everyone's kind of game. I personally did not enjoy hiding in a locker for 2 minutes while waiting for the guards to go away. And while the plot is rich, I had trouble wrapping my head around a lot of the twists and turns. What struck me was the variety of ways to approach an enemy, from stunning, to killing, to Solid. The visuals, gameplay, and plot are excellent. But it's not everyone's kind of game. I personally did not enjoy hiding in a locker for 2 minutes while waiting for the guards to go away. And while the plot is rich, I had trouble wrapping my head around a lot of the twists and turns. What struck me was the variety of ways to approach an enemy, from stunning, to killing, to having them surrender. Snake is the coolest character in video games and I would have liked to use him more, but the game is developed fluidly enough to make you forget it. Expand
  68. GregS
    Aug 20, 2008
    It's good but NOWHERE near as good as the original.
  69. JimmyP
    Oct 4, 2009
    MGS1 is better. Doesn't live up to high reviews, in my opinion, but it's still quite good and worth playing.
  70. anthonyL
    May 27, 2009
    A solid sequel that has some memorable moments. MGS2 also has hands down the best theme music ever seen in a game. A great but sometimes hard to follow story, especially for newcomers. A little short in length though, including cutscenes takes about 12 hours on your first go. Much less on subsequent gos with no cutscenes. although not quite as good as MGS1 or its sequels it is still a A solid sequel that has some memorable moments. MGS2 also has hands down the best theme music ever seen in a game. A great but sometimes hard to follow story, especially for newcomers. A little short in length though, including cutscenes takes about 12 hours on your first go. Much less on subsequent gos with no cutscenes. although not quite as good as MGS1 or its sequels it is still a great game, worthy of its name. Expand
  71. ChrisH.
    Nov 16, 2001
    I loved the other Metal Gears and I love this one. Definitely game of the year.
    Dec 1, 2001
    A great game most definitely, but there is far too much cinematic and stuff. I think I spent more time watching video and listening to Kodek than I did playing the game.
  73. Serra
    Dec 5, 2001
    Seems like a lot of games get a good score because of it's look...yea, I know, that's what the higher end consoles are there for, better graphics/sound, but that's like saying Star Wars I was a good movie because the SPFX were great. I liked this game, don't get me wrong, but it's kinda short and a few too many cutscenes for me. I felt like I was watching a movie Seems like a lot of games get a good score because of it's look...yea, I know, that's what the higher end consoles are there for, better graphics/sound, but that's like saying Star Wars I was a good movie because the SPFX were great. I liked this game, don't get me wrong, but it's kinda short and a few too many cutscenes for me. I felt like I was watching a movie more than playing a game, especially with the dang Codec peeping every few minutes. Expand
  74. JalleyO.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Having absolutely loved the original "Metal Gear Solid", I was really anticipating this one. Unfortunately, this game is a monumental bust. The plot, widely and rightfully ridiculed, is absurd and impenetrable. Yes, I didn't necessarily play this game to be blown away by it's storyline, but I most certainly didn't expect to encounter something as mind-numbingly ludicrous as Having absolutely loved the original "Metal Gear Solid", I was really anticipating this one. Unfortunately, this game is a monumental bust. The plot, widely and rightfully ridiculed, is absurd and impenetrable. Yes, I didn't necessarily play this game to be blown away by it's storyline, but I most certainly didn't expect to encounter something as mind-numbingly ludicrous as this. The numerous, endless cut scenes scattered throughout this game also tax one's patience. Your final completion time will undoubtedly consist of roughly 50% cut-scene nonsense. That's just inexcusable. The sequencing here was also quite flawed. After completing the "Tanker" storyline with Snake at the beginning, you're then inexplicably thrown into the role of Raiden and treated to beginner's lessons, this despite the fact that you already were thrown to the wolves for a few hours as you made your way through the tanker! Absolutely bizarre. I did actually enjoy the "Tanker" round. And the game does gather some momentum when you finally reach the President and Emma Emmerich. But that's not nearly enough warrant a recommendation. You'd be much better off slamming though another round of the PSX original than to suffer through this underwhelming sequel. Expand
  75. DanEues
    Jan 10, 2002
    I agree with ACONE, the new guy looks kinda gay but im not going to give it a freakin 5. The game doesnt deserve a 10 either. The guys you call on the codec dont help a bit so your kinda forced to go wandering around. Other than that the game is good. I give it an honest 8.
  76. JamesK.
    Jan 11, 2002
    This is the best Metal Gear game yet. The game play and the new movements it give you are amazing. All of the Metal Gear games keep building off each other. And it is nice that you get another character to control.
  77. JohnP.
    Nov 2, 2002
    Great.
  78. NelsonL.
    Oct 16, 2002
    Yes this game is beautiful, and yes, the gameplay is still incredible. But please, the story is really awfull, with 10 minutes long scenes where you can do nothing but get bored to death. And for the Bosses you'll fight, they are the most ridiculous I ever saw in a video game (a big fat guy on rollers, a cliche vampire, a poor cow-boy with a schwarzy arm... baahhh !). Really disapointing.
  79. RhysH.
    Jan 31, 2002
    The Game play is very realistic. Though it is short and the Story line takes away from the Game. Overall it's one of the best games ever.
  80. MikeW.
    Jan 30, 2002
    Really great game with great graphics.
  81. Acnone
    Jan 4, 2002
    It's good but I HATE that new guy. I mean go to hell you long haired freak. Solid could kick you ass without trying. Solid snake FOREVER!
  82. GupinderK.
    Oct 7, 2002
    Overall i give this game a 9 out of ten.. i was well scripted gameplay, graphic storyline etc. highly recommended.
  83. AlexanderJ.
    Feb 12, 2002
    Very nice game.
  84. MarkP.
    Feb 12, 2002
    This game is awesomely the best game I've played. When I had my PS2. I rented it, it was the first game that was played on my PS2!!! Now I'm going to get this game and play it a lot of times!!! Great graphics, environments, etc. The new main theme song for MGS2 makes me feel I am part of the game!!! All the graphics here psyched me out!!! I rate this game 10!!! No wait! Way This game is awesomely the best game I've played. When I had my PS2. I rented it, it was the first game that was played on my PS2!!! Now I'm going to get this game and play it a lot of times!!! Great graphics, environments, etc. The new main theme song for MGS2 makes me feel I am part of the game!!! All the graphics here psyched me out!!! I rate this game 10!!! No wait! Way beyond than 10!!! Expand
  85. AdrianoG.
    Feb 17, 2002
    I've waited for MGS2 to come out for about 2 years. I say its the best VideoGame ever for any VideoGame System. The graphics, movies, sound effect, music, etc.. is the best of all times. I recommend this game for all the Action and PS(2) lovers.
  86. SolidSnake
    Feb 21, 2002
    This game is way better than the first, but raiden sucks.
  87. ChrisJ.
    Feb 5, 2002
    I love the game itself. The plot does lend itself to a few obsurdities though. Also if there wasn't 30 minutes of video to every 15 minutes of play I would have enjoyed it more. It was hard to get into it b/c of the lack of playing time.
  88. ShlimVahT.
    Feb 7, 2002
    This is simply the best game for the PS2. Saying its the best game eva is pushing at coz of XBox's Halo.
  89. JoaoR.
    Mar 19, 2002
    Just Perfect. Best graphics I've seen in a game of this genre, the music is perfect, the gameplay is perfect, the story, all is perfect!
  90. DanS.
    Mar 20, 2002
    A truly amazing game graphics and gameplay is outstanding but the only thing that made me give it an 8 is the fact ur not snake for most of the game, and I don't feal the same about MGS2 than i do about MGS, and its very short but still a game worth getting.
  91. RussellC.
    Mar 23, 2002
    To counter the bad points mentioned by others -- the game takes 10 to 15 hours to complete on the normal setting. This may only be a week's worth of playing, but the game gives great incentive to play it again. Each time you complete it, you are given a new item to work with at the start of a new game. You can also improve your playing time, or try a different strategy. I don't To counter the bad points mentioned by others -- the game takes 10 to 15 hours to complete on the normal setting. This may only be a week's worth of playing, but the game gives great incentive to play it again. Each time you complete it, you are given a new item to work with at the start of a new game. You can also improve your playing time, or try a different strategy. I don't think Raiden is a bad character. He has some smart moves on him, such as that cartwheel move, and he allows you to see Snake from a different perspective. His involvement in the story is also very well structured. I do admit though that Mei Ling is better tham Rose - she is soooo annoying! This is truly a unique game and is surpassed by no others. If you own a PS2, then BUY this game now! Expand
  92. TimH.
    Mar 23, 2002
    I loved the first game: Metal Gear Solid! But Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is better but a hell lot worse later on! The Tanker is great and real cool but the rest sucks! "Metal Gear Raiden 2" and the worst ending ever in a video game! I hope if they make a third game, that you won't play as any other characters than Solid Snake and that they create a better ending instead of I loved the first game: Metal Gear Solid! But Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is better but a hell lot worse later on! The Tanker is great and real cool but the rest sucks! "Metal Gear Raiden 2" and the worst ending ever in a video game! I hope if they make a third game, that you won't play as any other characters than Solid Snake and that they create a better ending instead of this crap! Hideo just wanted to be fired and get his retire money! I hope the other director is a hell of a lot more smarter then Hideo! Expand
  93. LarryC.
    Mar 25, 2002
    The graphics are as equally stunning as the attention given to the detail. The army men and characters alike are incredibly believable and nothing short of perfect. But all good things have their flaws. Although the stunning graphicality of the game is a reason enough to buy it, the story line does become a little confusing and even entering the realms of fantasy. The brilliant inclusion The graphics are as equally stunning as the attention given to the detail. The army men and characters alike are incredibly believable and nothing short of perfect. But all good things have their flaws. Although the stunning graphicality of the game is a reason enough to buy it, the story line does become a little confusing and even entering the realms of fantasy. The brilliant inclusion of the small sub-quests throughout the game, such as the dog tags or the variety of mission settings more than compensate for the gameplay. On the whole an incredible work of art and a perfect bridge between the realms of video gaming and films-truly excellent. Expand
  94. KenW.
    Mar 27, 2002
    The gameplay and graphics are fantastic, but the story is simply too confusing and doesn't make a lot of sense. Raiden (the new main charcter) didn't bother me at all.
  95. LukeT.
    Mar 31, 2002
    The only controversial thing is the storyline. But I loved it. And how were they gonna improve on the first storyline anyway?? Also, playing as Raiden gave me a much greater appreciation as to how good Snake really is.
  96. LeeM.
    Mar 8, 2002
    I've just bought this game today and I'm hooked on to it. And anyone who doesn't buy this game needs to get their brains checked
  97. DaveE.
    Apr 11, 2002
    As has already been said, the graphics are incredible and the controls and the level of interaction with the environments are unprecedented. But unlike MGS for the PSX, the story line in this title ranges from interesting at the start to an insanely overblown comic book-style tale. MGS2's predessessor had a mostly believable story and more character developement. Now, if only we As has already been said, the graphics are incredible and the controls and the level of interaction with the environments are unprecedented. But unlike MGS for the PSX, the story line in this title ranges from interesting at the start to an insanely overblown comic book-style tale. MGS2's predessessor had a mostly believable story and more character developement. Now, if only we could have the characters and story line of MGS combined with the graphics and gameplay of MGS2... Expand
  98. SeanL.
    Apr 2, 2002
    It is the best game on PS2 and no other game can beat it. It totally rocks all round!!!
  99. JeffT.
    Apr 7, 2002
    This is the best action game ever. If there were one thing they could have done, they should have made the player able to play the game with both players (the plant, the tanker).
  100. MikeH.
    May 13, 2002
    Ok, the graphics, sounds, etc is great. But maaaaan, those movies take up freaking lots of time. Just when u think the action starts, yet another movies begins...... Also i find the control pretty hard, but that's maybe because i'm used to playing games on a pc (with keyboard).

#1 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#3 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The environments are amazing, when on the deck of the tank the rain effects are extremely lifelike, along with rain drops hitting the ship and characters.
  2. As stunning and enjoyable as ever. You may feel foolish gripping the controller throughout a 40-minute cut scene, but MGS2 is something which must be experienced.
    MGS2 suffers in its story. I can't spoil it for you, but I can at least warn you to be prepared for a plot that frequently reaches levels of sheer absurdity.