Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance PlayStation 2

Mar 12, 2003
    Great.
  2. KristmundurS
    Jan 1, 2007
    My real ranking for this game is 8.5. Anyway, this re-release of MGS2 was originally an Xbox exclusive but was later sold for PS2, Xbox and PC. This version of the includes the same main game with slight improvements and add-ons. This version has a bigger replay value than the original release. Over 300 VR training missions that help you practice the game's mechanics and stealth My real ranking for this game is 8.5. Anyway, this re-release of MGS2 was originally an Xbox exclusive but was later sold for PS2, Xbox and PC. This version of the includes the same main game with slight improvements and add-ons. This version has a bigger replay value than the original release. Over 300 VR training missions that help you practice the game's mechanics and stealth formula also weapons training. There are also five Snake Tales that are mini games starring Solid Snake. They are bit harder with no cutscenes or dialogue. There is also a Skateboarding Mode that resemþles Konami's Revolution Skateboarding game. There is also an interactive DVD called the Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 that is included in the PAL version which has Charcater Models, Area Models, Scetches, script, Game Plan and many more treats. This is a pretty good deal. If you've never played MGS2 settle for this version, but if you do own it but you're not an MGS buff skip it but if you are... go with it! Expand
  3. ToriA.
    Mar 4, 2003
    I can't wait till the next one comes out Solid Snake is Cool!
  4. SwinkX.
    Feb 25, 2003
    YES!!! this is game is great... Sons of Liberty was fresh... but the only problems were the codec sequences.... i was in awe bout the cutscenes.... but the codec's were boring... now... Splinter cell probably is the better choice of espionage.. but i feel even though it does play better, it's too real for me........ HOWEVER thats not say i dont like it, i LOVE the game, but ps2 YES!!! this is game is great... Sons of Liberty was fresh... but the only problems were the codec sequences.... i was in awe bout the cutscenes.... but the codec's were boring... now... Splinter cell probably is the better choice of espionage.. but i feel even though it does play better, it's too real for me........ HOWEVER thats not say i dont like it, i LOVE the game, but ps2 is the homestation for MGS2, and if u still want splinter cell, play this first, (it'll do for the month while splinter cell's still on the queue list) then get it, u'll luv both..... and thats a fact.... Expand
  5. Stoney
    Mar 14, 2003
    Metal gear solid rocks. All of the games are the best ever.
  6. CoryL.
    Mar 14, 2003
    It's the best!
  7. JaseM.
    Mar 20, 2003
    My favorite game and possibly the best gameplay around. You'll see few others like it in the gaming world. If you get any game on the PS2 or XBox thought you might have a challenge on XBox from Halo.
  8. JamesR.
    Mar 8, 2003
    cool
  9. LeeP.
    Apr 20, 2003
    The snake tales are my favourite, its the best game ive ever played.i wish they make more of it.
  10. JamesN.
    Mar 13, 2003
    Brilliant masterpiece of modern day gaming. Kojima is a genius!
  11. VulcanRaven
    Mar 20, 2003
    Brilliant! MGS always the best FOREVER!
  12. Mantis
    Mar 21, 2003
    It is sure a perfect follower in MGS 2' s footsteps. Gamers just don't get bored of games like MGS.
  13. Theimminent26
    Mar 27, 2003
    As I said to my friends the plot in this game comes close to whack the first time i played it but they didn't believe me till substance. I don't hate the plot but at times the script is horrible and there are many elements I could do without. all in all though this is a great game.
  14. F.F.
    Mar 28, 2003
    Itz Wokod.
  15. JamesR.
    Mar 8, 2003
    cool
  16. RonL.
    Mar 9, 2003
    Everything is so good about this game! buy it!
  17. Z|nEt
    Apr 21, 2003
    Brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. JimB.
    Aug 1, 2003
    F....ing kickass GO BUY THIS NOW!!!!
  19. AndyS.
    Mar 24, 2003
    A Badass game and for MGS fans get this game you'll really like it.
  20. Vincent
    Apr 14, 2003
    It's the best game i have ever played and its 10 times better than sons of liberty.
  21. MarkG.
    Apr 15, 2003
    I love playing this game!! i am so addicted. it is one of the funnest games i have ever played! it is so cool with all the missions and stuff! i play it all day!
  22. AdemO.
    May 16, 2003
    The snake's new uniform is excellent. I heard that gamecube is getting MGS back to their company to sell again. their new MGS game is MGS The Twin Snake. I wish that PS2 gets the MGS back again to make more and better ones.
  23. KevinV.
    Jul 14, 2003
    This is a great game thats all Im saying.
  24. BigB0SSNakedSnake
    Feb 11, 2006
    As with Sons of Liberty, Substance is a masterpiece. These added features make MGS2 a lot better. Buy or rent this version over Sons of Liberty. Enough said.
  25. Sep 6, 2011
    Playing the same game with more features adds more replay value to an already classic masterpiece. So for anyone having a little of trouble in what version to buy, I mostly recommend you Substance by no other means. VR missions keeps a nice way of presenting something thats new for this episode, the other funny, fun, awesome new mode is the goofy MGS skate mode, where obviously you willPlaying the same game with more features adds more replay value to an already classic masterpiece. So for anyone having a little of trouble in what version to buy, I mostly recommend you Substance by no other means. VR missions keeps a nice way of presenting something thats new for this episode, the other funny, fun, awesome new mode is the goofy MGS skate mode, where obviously you will play as Snake or the infamous Raiden as skating on the Big Shell map. Maybe playing the same game with new stuff isn't as fun as playing for the first time the first original version of the game, but though is still a good "new" game/experience that can't be missed . Expand
  26. Apr 10, 2012
    A great game, but my least favorite Metal Gear. The story is, of course, amazing, and should be your main reason to play this. Controls feel awkward at times but they work fine, graphics look good but the environments are dull and repetitive. Boss fights aren't as great as in MGS1 or 3, but their personalities are interesting. The extras in this version aren't all that interesting, butA great game, but my least favorite Metal Gear. The story is, of course, amazing, and should be your main reason to play this. Controls feel awkward at times but they work fine, graphics look good but the environments are dull and repetitive. Boss fights aren't as great as in MGS1 or 3, but their personalities are interesting. The extras in this version aren't all that interesting, but this is still the superior version of MGS2.

A must have for any MGS or stealth-action fan.
  27. Feb 1, 2016
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance is a worthy re- release to the excellent Sons of Liberty. Substance adds a heap of new VR missions, which add more value to the 30$ package. Substance also adds Snake Tales, which just lets you replay the Big Shell chapter, except as Solid Snake. This gives players who hated Raiden, to play through the vast majority of MGS2 as Snake. The only drawback is thatMetal Gear Solid 2 Substance is a worthy re- release to the excellent Sons of Liberty. Substance adds a heap of new VR missions, which add more value to the 30$ package. Substance also adds Snake Tales, which just lets you replay the Big Shell chapter, except as Solid Snake. This gives players who hated Raiden, to play through the vast majority of MGS2 as Snake. The only drawback is that there is no cut scenes, or Codec, only lines of text, so be wary of that. Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance is an excellent re-release of an already amazing game. Buy this game on sight. Expand
  28. Apr 10, 2012

A must have for any MGS or stealth-action fan.

#48 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#82 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

Although the PS2 game comes some three months after the Xbox release, this version is the better of the two—mostly because of its superior controls.
  2. If you totally enjoyed MGS2, this definitive version is certainly worth a look, delivering all of the extras and the original game in one package.
  3. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    Given that Snake is the ultimate videogame stud, it's great to work through some new objectives with his gritty new perspective. [Apr 2003, p.87]