Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Nov 17, 2004
  • Also On: 3DS
9.3

1. Jun 9, 2013
    A slight departure from the template laid down in the first two Metal Gear Solid games 'Snake Eater' takes place in a Russian jungle in 1964, a time before the enemy detecting radar had been invented. While there are still a number of tools available to help navigate through the maze of bad guys and other traps between you and your goal this change brings a whole new level of tension toA slight departure from the template laid down in the first two Metal Gear Solid games 'Snake Eater' takes place in a Russian jungle in 1964, a time before the enemy detecting radar had been invented. While there are still a number of tools available to help navigate through the maze of bad guys and other traps between you and your goal this change brings a whole new level of tension to the gameplay, no longer can you be certain of exactly where the enemies are.

The jungle itself also provides for a far more interesting setting than the difficult to navigate oil rig from the series previous entry. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing but it also has a real impact upon gameplay with your level of camouflage vital to remaining hidden. It is also possible to capture and eat the wildlife in order to restore health with injuries now affecting Snake's ability to run and aim accurately.

The games hand-to-hand fighting mechanics have also seen an overhaul with the introduction of the CQC system. This allows Snake to pull off a more complex set of combat moves and even tackle more than one enemy at once. Be warned however that getting spotted and outnumbered will still quickly get you killed!
    On the negative side there is still the odd camera issue to be found but the biggest problem, as with previous Metal Gear games, continues to be the quite frankly ludicrously long cut scenes (Some must exceed the half-hour mark!). If I wanted to watch a movie I’d have put one in the disc tray instead of the game disc and it would be certainly make more sense.

Other than this (rather important) issue however the Metal Gear Solid series continue to provide the best gameplay in its genre and Snake Eater is certainly worth adding to any collection.
  2. Apr 6, 2017
    MGS 3 reste fidèle à lui-même et à l'esprit débilitant de la série : des cinématiques RAF (Rien A Foutre), un côté mièvre prononcé et une interface à revoir. Toujours la vue subjective qui se contrôle au stick gauche (je suis pas gaucher bordel !!), toujours les mêmes contrôles pourris pour sélectionner les objets, toujours ce problème de caméra trop haute même si on peut la faire pivoterMGS 3 reste fidèle à lui-même et à l'esprit débilitant de la série : des cinématiques RAF (Rien A Foutre), un côté mièvre prononcé et une interface à revoir. Toujours la vue subjective qui se contrôle au stick gauche (je suis pas gaucher bordel !!), toujours les mêmes contrôles pourris pour sélectionner les objets, toujours ce problème de caméra trop haute même si on peut la faire pivoter légèrement, ce qui permet de voir un peu devant soi la plupart du temps.

Le maniement du personnage reste malheureusement bien pourri et les graphismes dans la jungle sont en net recul de ce que proposait MGS 2 : à la non-jouabilité générale s'ajoute donc la déception technique. MGS 2 était pénible... MGS 3 l'est tout autant et a eu très vite raison de la patience des joueurs les plus indulgents.
  3. May 27, 2012
    Game is one of the best games I've ever played! One of the best cinematic games as well! Masterpiece game! Better than a lot of movies!
  4. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hideo kojima and his team guys can make miracles.I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it. Expand
  5. May 4, 2015
    The boss: "Today's enemy could be tomorrows hero".

When I reviewed sons of liberty, I called it the best game play and the best game ever made, until I played this game that I thought to myself; this is way better. The characters are remediable and there are so many villains in this game and there have they time to shine. Solid snake is a freaking bad-ass in this game, showing no
    The boss: "Today's enemy could be tomorrows hero".

The characters are remediable and there are so many villains in this game and there have they time to shine. Solid snake is a freaking bad-ass in this game, showing no pain but much awesomeness.
  6. Apr 11, 2011
    Basically this one is totally different from the other MGS games is focused more in the survivalist way rather than an a urban zone. This installment is set on the jungle and the main protagonist is Big Boss (the original Snake or Naked Snake). I loved the game and is very entertaining the story ,the gameplay etc. You made it again Hideo Kojima
  7. Oct 3, 2010
    This was the weakest entry in this series but that is not really saying a bad thing, with it still being a great game when you compare it to others. I would definitely recommend this if you own a PS2 and want an amazing game for a low low price.
  8. Apr 26, 2015
    To preface, I didn't really enjoy Snake Eater until the Subsistence/HD versions updated the camera. I found this version very flawed in its sneaking sections; apparently some drug addled lunatic on Kojima's team thought that using the same 'fixed' camera setup from MGS2 would work fine in a jungle environment when you have no radar, and no LOS cones. It doesn't. Maybe I shouldn't takeTo preface, I didn't really enjoy Snake Eater until the Subsistence/HD versions updated the camera. I found this version very flawed in its sneaking sections; apparently some drug addled lunatic on Kojima's team thought that using the same 'fixed' camera setup from MGS2 would work fine in a jungle environment when you have no radar, and no LOS cones. It doesn't. Maybe I shouldn't take discovery so seriously in these games, but I'd like to stay hidden, that's kind of hard when the camera insists it wants to be top-down, or facing Snake from the front, when I need to be seeing in front of me. The R1 first person function is OK, but as Snake is unable to move in this mode, it's borderline useless.

In all other departments, Snake Eater is excellent and probably my favourite Metal Gear; it occupies a weird line between all the depth and seriousness of an anti-war statement and the OTT silliness of a James Bond movie mixed in with some Rambo; some genuine laugh-out loud moments sandwiched between some thought-provoking writing and genuinely impressive action scenes.

The gameplay is generally much improved from MGS2, sneaking has added dimensions thanks to the 'camouflage', 'food' and 'cure' mechanics, CQC , as well as the simple fact that the jungle is so much more fun to sneak in.

Snake Eater might have one of the greatest showcases in a Metal Gear game, the Shagohod/Volgin/Boss section is rivaled only by piloting REX and having a fistfight with Ocelot in MGS4. You can also look forward to more pant-wetting, R1 to boob peeping, sniping bosses early, more crotch-grabbing, anti-Raiden jokes, arguments about James Bond, conversations about movies, shooting green rubber frogs, loads of easter eggs and an impressive level of attention to detail.
  9. Feb 4, 2016
    Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater is a near perfect game, with barely any problems. The story is very well fleshed out and paced very well. The gameplay is fun when you get the hang of it, and every time I got seen, I could only blame myself. The gameplay has been vastly improved from Sons Of Liberty, and you get to play as Snake for the whole game, whew! The story takes place in 1964, duringMetal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater is a near perfect game, with barely any problems. The story is very well fleshed out and paced very well. The gameplay is fun when you get the hang of it, and every time I got seen, I could only blame myself. The gameplay has been vastly improved from Sons Of Liberty, and you get to play as Snake for the whole game, whew! The story takes place in 1964, during the Cold War. and the protagonist is Naked Snake, who would later become Big Boss. After years of training with the female soldier, The Boss, Snake is sent in to his first mission, to save the American scientist Sokolov, who is being forced to make missiles for the KGB, a Russian army branch. Snake saves Sokolov, (while having a run-in with Revolver Ocelot) and is extracting him, when Snakes mentor, and best friend, The Boss, defects to the Soviet Union, along with the heroes of World War 2, The Cobras. The Cobras take Sokolov back to the factory, and The Boss breaks Snakes arm and throws him off a bridge. I won't spoil what happens after that, but I will say that it's very entertaining and intense throughout. That ending, though, wow, that ending, made me want to cry. Anyway, buy this game on the MGS HD collection on the PS3, you NEED to play through it. Expand
  10. Apr 20, 2012
    Smart, imaginative and exciting, Snake Eater surpasses MGS2 in almost every way. The game looks great, the environments are a nice change, the survival mechanics are implemented well and the cast of villains is among the best in any video game. The controls are also improved but still feel clunky and stiff. The story is entertaining but not as engaging as previous games in the series.Smart, imaginative and exciting, Snake Eater surpasses MGS2 in almost every way. The game looks great, the environments are a nice change, the survival mechanics are implemented well and the cast of villains is among the best in any video game. The controls are also improved but still feel clunky and stiff. The story is entertaining but not as engaging as previous games in the series. Special appreciation has to go to the spectacular boss fights. Each one is brimming with creativity and will change how you view this old video game staple. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    The healing and eating and the constantly changing of the camouflage are annoying and just disturbs the player. However the story is good and also the graphics are.
    Its a good game but i liked it predecessor more.
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    metal gear solid 3 is the best one in the series gameplay became the best in this one there is no radar which is better and made you think of how to play and continue in the game i loved the camouflage and healing system in the game the graphics are amazing and let me tell you that this game has the best ending i've ever seen so far the best story i've ever seen
  13. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay is incredibly fun and the game is addictive with tons of replay value wether be on a more challenging difficulty or that extra run to try to beat the game with complete stealth. Characters are great and very interesting. Nothing bad to say about this one. MGS3 will go down as one of the greatest video games in history and an absolute masterpiece by the mastermind Hideo Kojima. Expand
  14. Jan 4, 2017
    Deutsche Review - Kritik

Deutsche Review - Kritik

Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden?
    Dann sind hier meine Punkte.

Mein persönlicher Score = 87/100
    Mein User Score = 9/10
  15. Jul 18, 2014
    This is the best game in the series in my opinion. The game play has been perfected, its paced beautifuly, it has one of the greatest story lines ever told and it s still fun to play today. Some of the most most memorable moments in games are found her, thanks to some awesome boss fights and great cut scenes. In my opinion this is a masterpiece and pretty well perfect game.
  16. Jul 18, 2012
    MGS3 has my favorite storyline of any game ive ever played. I have never felt such a connecting to a story before. Kojima truly is amazing director and writer. This game has it all. Great characters, music, story, gameplay and boss fights.
  17. Sep 7, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay isMetal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay is incredibly fun and the game is addictive with tons of replay value wether be on a more challenging difficulty or that extra run to try to beat the game with complete stealth. Characters are great and very interesting. Nothing bad to say about this one. MGS3 will go down as one of the greatest video games in history and an absolute masterpiece by the mastermind Hideo Kojima. Expand
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    An amazing game. This game explores the story of Big Boss, how is that not awesome. The gameplay is thrilling, the story is great, the soundtrack is great (Snake Eater!) and the characters are awesomely memorable probably some of the best of any game. The beginning is a little slow though. I highly recommend this game to anyone.
  19. Nov 2, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Game-play:Stealth is the base of the game play in this game but if you want you can go full in action the shooting and the movement are realistic also all the items are useful. Story:The story of this game is excellent the best story i have ever played and one of the best endings ever.It will take you about 16 to 18 hours. Graphics:The graphics are
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Graphics:The graphics are also excellent it is better than some games on the ps3 and xbox360.

Notes:Some of the best written characters ever,also i loved the weapons and gadgets,This is a legendary game buy at full price.
  20. Aug 26, 2012
    This game is one of the greatest games ever made. I won't spoil the ending but it is one of the greatest endings to any game ever. The bosses are all very different from one another, while some have you running and gunning tactics, some require a stealth approach, hand to hand combat, or even your typical boss with a simple tactic to beating him. Some bosses even have unique ways to fightThis game is one of the greatest games ever made. I won't spoil the ending but it is one of the greatest endings to any game ever. The bosses are all very different from one another, while some have you running and gunning tactics, some require a stealth approach, hand to hand combat, or even your typical boss with a simple tactic to beating him. Some bosses even have unique ways to fight them such as food poisoning for example. The stealth game play is great. The camera stays behind you so you can actually see in front of you. Hunting for food is rewarding, and figuring out what food is best and how to use the jungle to your advantage is it's own reward. You can throw snakes at guards or even carefully toss them in a river or place them in front of a trap. Expand
  21. Jun 13, 2011
    It's exceeded by its enhancement, Subsistence. But that doesn't take away from the fun I had before it. Pros: Excellent graphics and sound; greatly told, involving storyline; charismatic characters; variety of moves and weapons. Cons: Dated camera system and poor control; too much dialogue may turn off certain gamers.
  22. Jul 4, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games ever created and it's my personal favorite Metal Gear Solid game. As most MGS fans know, each game in the series is unique, but none really compare to the brilliance that is Snake Eater. The gameplay at first glance may seem complex, but it's really easy to get used to and is easily modified to best fit your personal preference. The camera controlsThis is definitely one of the best games ever created and it's my personal favorite Metal Gear Solid game. As most MGS fans know, each game in the series is unique, but none really compare to the brilliance that is Snake Eater. The gameplay at first glance may seem complex, but it's really easy to get used to and is easily modified to best fit your personal preference. The camera controls are wonderful and the visuals and style are incomparable to any other game out there. A lot of it is cheesy and may be ridiculed if seen in a film, but there's this sort of depth to the characters and story, plus many twists and turns that are impossible to predict and wonderful attention to detail that it easily can be considered one of the best video games in existence. It's literally the only game out there where I don't find the constant percentages and various statistics regarding Naked Snake's survival annoying. Going to the 'start menu' is actually fun. Healing Snake's wounds and changing camo to hide better in different areas never really feels like a chore and the parts where you get stuck always take some thought (it's not a game that you just mindlessly dawdle your way through). This is definitely a game worth any true gamer's time. Expand
  23. Jun 30, 2013
    Story is pretty bad, but the game was good until EVA showed up totally ruined MGS experience.no need another words if EVA was not join snake then the game would be 5x better. i remember originaly there was no EVA in the game just a man with motorcycle in the first trailer well that was the real MGS3, Not to mention the idiot James Bond style musics and feeling. yeah i love james bondStory is pretty bad, but the game was good until EVA showed up totally ruined MGS experience.no need another words if EVA was not join snake then the game would be 5x better. i remember originaly there was no EVA in the game just a man with motorcycle in the first trailer well that was the real MGS3, Not to mention the idiot James Bond style musics and feeling. yeah i love james bond movies but this isn't good for MGS univere is just not fit this james bond style for mgs game.Kojima should stop this.Anyway anyone know why kojima keep calling the game MGS without Solid snake? why not just Metal Gear Snake Eater? Expand
  24. Feb 24, 2012
    This is the best game i have ever played. It is definitely the best game in the metal gear series. Kojima could had made this his only game and would still appeal as the best game director.Snake Eater has the greatest story in a game I've ever played.The boss battles are the most memorable of any game. This is truly a Masterpiece.
  25. Jul 24, 2011
    This game was brilliant and story wise is one of my favourite in the series. In this game players can watch past events as they shape the future of the series. For example players will be taking control of a new character and will watch the rise of Big Boss and how he became the legend. The game play is also greatly improved making it much more flexible and gives players more variety asThis game was brilliant and story wise is one of my favourite in the series. In this game players can watch past events as they shape the future of the series. For example players will be taking control of a new character and will watch the rise of Big Boss and how he became the legend. The game play is also greatly improved making it much more flexible and gives players more variety as they can carry a set of equipment and weapons of their own chossing. Expand
  26. Mar 6, 2017
    Kojima has done a great job with this franchise and the truth is that this solid metal gear 3 is the best game of this series without a doubt this is the best saga of espionage leaving aside other sagas of tactical secrecy.

This game is undoubtedly an indispensable part of the ps2 10/10
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    Not as good as MGS2, but a VERY close contender! As a longtime fan of the series, this is my second favorite entry if not tied with MGS2 in some aspects. I don't know what else to say aside from the fact that it's simply an amazing work of art. Yup, that's right, it's so good it's a work of art! Same with 1 and 2! I love Metal Gear!!
  28. Jun 23, 2012
    The mechanics may make the end game stumble a little bit, but the humor, story, character, and amazing world that Mr. Kojima has created is stunning, wonderful, and absolutely astoundingly incredible. One of the best games of all time in a series that stands as the culmination of phenomenal storytelling and incredibly unique mechanics. A classic.
  29. Apr 23, 2013
    I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game.I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game. Everything is off the camera! Out of sight! and the only way to get some environmental awareness is to use the awkward first person view.

In previous titles this camera system was fine or acceptable and the reason it worked was because you had a radar/map, that gave you awareness of everything off the camera, making it less frustrating. In Snake Eater you don't have anything as useful as that and it's something Kojima failed to to spot or resolve to the games detriment.

But you know what, after getting spotted on multiple occasions due to the camera, I never finished Snake Eater. I got fed up, ditched it and bought 'Subsistence'. I can confirm that the game is awesome. With the full 3D camera movements I can actually see what's up ahead! And I can actually appreciate how attractive the game is! Dear lord! If only Kojima could have done this sooner. But sadly, the camera makes Snake Eater obsolete.
  30. Mar 22, 2017
    Metal Gear Solid 3 is a beautifully crafted story which surely takes narrative to its limits. Each character is charismatic and memorable, as well the scenes are well thought and rightly paced with gameplay.Story is absolutely genius.
    My only gripe with this game is the gameplay, which in theory is excellent, but is poorly executed and it is messy to work with. Happily, after some hours it feels a lot better (though it never feels excellent)
    My score would be a 9.3 approx. 9/10

#2 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2004
#3 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2004

1. netjak
    When all is said and done, Snake Eater achieves what no other game can on such a level: complete immersion into an action-driven interactive movie.
  2. Gaming Target
    Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best game of the year? Yes. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best in its series? No.
  3. There has never been, and will not be for a long time a more convincing and immersive game released.