• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2004
  • Also On: 3DS
9.3

1. Jul 24, 2011
    Snake Eater has my favorite storyline of any game ive ever played. I have never felt such a connecting to a story before. The gameplay is some of the best in gaming if not the best. A classic if there ever was one.
  2. Chimp
    Nov 18, 2004
    This game is not for everyone. and by that, i mean it is not for stupid people. with possibly the deepest plot in any game, it really is more than just a game. yes, i got half life 2 on tuesday and i know how unbelievably awesome that is....but this game is more important and personal to me because of its story. of course, the gameplay is amazing. this time around, you have to beThis game is not for everyone. and by that, i mean it is not for stupid people. with possibly the deepest plot in any game, it really is more than just a game. yes, i got half life 2 on tuesday and i know how unbelievably awesome that is....but this game is more important and personal to me because of its story. of course, the gameplay is amazing. this time around, you have to be stealthier than in the previous two games. the jungle is really cool, with animals and camoflage and all that. speaking of camoflage, let me just say if you're playing on normal or higher you will HAVE to use it. enemies are much more realistic this time around and can spot you from far away if you move or really stand out. the CQC system is genius, and the boss battles are amazing. also, its full of humour just like the other two, but its not in-your-face humour, more subtle. and the main theme is the best in any game ever. simply unbelievable. Expand
  3. NortonJ.
    Apr 2, 2005
    What is wrong with reviewers these days?!?!? Scores of 50 (thats disgraceful) and 80 for a game this polished is quite simply.....mad. MGS3 is one of those addictive games that you honestly cannot put down until you've finished it. You will sacrifice things in life just to bask in its brilliance. We are lucky to have one of these games come across us once every 3 years and some What is wrong with reviewers these days?!?!? Scores of 50 (thats disgraceful) and 80 for a game this polished is quite simply.....mad. MGS3 is one of those addictive games that you honestly cannot put down until you've finished it. You will sacrifice things in life just to bask in its brilliance. We are lucky to have one of these games come across us once every 3 years and some incompetent reviewer who obviously has issues ruins an average score I for one and others would agree should be at least 95. To put it quite simply, this game is more than just a "must buy" your PS2 needs it, it craves it. 2006-2007 we will see MGS4 on the PS3, so until then enjoy what is yet another masterpiece from the genious Hideo Kojima. Expand
  4. ZacharyR.
    Jan 1, 2005
    Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater was EXCELLENT! It was the best game yet in the Metal Gear Series! If I could say one word to Hideo Kojima it would be, BRAVO!
  5. EhabA.
    Sep 13, 2005
    Metal Gear Solid 3 is almost a movie with great moves u just have to play it.
  6. Kewlkat
    Mar 1, 2008
    Whether you're watching it, or playing it, ( and trust me, you'll be doing plenty of both), this game never fails to be immersive, daring, riveting, exciting, deep, intense, cool, and just plain fun to play almost the entire way through. One of the best games I have ever played.
  7. SKULLOMANIAW.
    Dec 22, 2004
    This game literally made me cry because I've never played such a well developed game since Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty. The turn from the steel, factory look to the jungle look was a great and worthy change. I can't put the stupid controller down. DAMN THIS GAME HAS ME HOOKED!
  8. Jul 24, 2011
    This game was brilliant and story wise is one of my favourite in the series. In this game players can watch past events as they shape the future of the series. For example players will be taking control of a new character and will watch the rise of Big Boss and how he became the legend. The game play is also greatly improved making it much more flexible and gives players more variety asThis game was brilliant and story wise is one of my favourite in the series. In this game players can watch past events as they shape the future of the series. For example players will be taking control of a new character and will watch the rise of Big Boss and how he became the legend. The game play is also greatly improved making it much more flexible and gives players more variety as they can carry a set of equipment and weapons of their own chossing. Expand
  9. Sep 7, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay isMetal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay is incredibly fun and the game is addictive with tons of replay value wether be on a more challenging difficulty or that extra run to try to beat the game with complete stealth. Characters are great and very interesting. Nothing bad to say about this one. MGS3 will go down as one of the greatest video games in history and an absolute masterpiece by the mastermind Hideo Kojima. Expand
  10. Jul 4, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games ever created and it's my personal favorite Metal Gear Solid game. As most MGS fans know, each game in the series is unique, but none really compare to the brilliance that is Snake Eater. The gameplay at first glance may seem complex, but it's really easy to get used to and is easily modified to best fit your personal preference. The camera controlsThis is definitely one of the best games ever created and it's my personal favorite Metal Gear Solid game. As most MGS fans know, each game in the series is unique, but none really compare to the brilliance that is Snake Eater. The gameplay at first glance may seem complex, but it's really easy to get used to and is easily modified to best fit your personal preference. The camera controls are wonderful and the visuals and style are incomparable to any other game out there. A lot of it is cheesy and may be ridiculed if seen in a film, but there's this sort of depth to the characters and story, plus many twists and turns that are impossible to predict and wonderful attention to detail that it easily can be considered one of the best video games in existence. It's literally the only game out there where I don't find the constant percentages and various statistics regarding Naked Snake's survival annoying. Going to the 'start menu' is actually fun. Healing Snake's wounds and changing camo to hide better in different areas never really feels like a chore and the parts where you get stuck always take some thought (it's not a game that you just mindlessly dawdle your way through). This is definitely a game worth any true gamer's time. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2011
    This game does not cease to be interesting at any point. The 3rd installment in the Metal Gear Solid series is nothing to shy away from, instead try to go and buy it. Heres the jist of it. The campaign is very engaging and informative that will make you teary at points. Like Hideo Kojima wants, the gamer will be placed this time in Big Boss's body, the real Snake. The new system involvingThis game does not cease to be interesting at any point. The 3rd installment in the Metal Gear Solid series is nothing to shy away from, instead try to go and buy it. Heres the jist of it. The campaign is very engaging and informative that will make you teary at points. Like Hideo Kojima wants, the gamer will be placed this time in Big Boss's body, the real Snake. The new system involving survival is original and adds on the Metal Gear Solid's array of well crafted ideals placed in a game. Overall, the game is magnificent and nothing short of greatness. Expand
  12. Aug 6, 2013
    my review for my favorite PS2 game, MGS3.

SINGLE PLAYER (STORY)- 10/10. a outstanding story with the most breathtaking twist i have ever encountered in the last generation of gaming. i don't want to spoil anything else :). GRAPHICS- 9/10. it pushes the PS2 to the max. great cutscenes (minus the laughable lip-synching), and great visual quality overall. SOUND- 10/10. exceptional voice
    my review for my favorite PS2 game, MGS3.

SOUND- 10/10. exceptional voice acting, and and a top quality score.
    GAMEPLAY- 8.5/10. i personally didn't have much of a problem, but some people had trouble adjusting to the complex controls. otherwise, no gameplay problems here. very fun stealth/ action gameplay.
    FUN FACTOR- 10/10. a top-notch game that absolutely everyone who likes action/stealth games needs to play.
    OVERALL- 10/10.
  13. Apr 11, 2014
    Im not very in to shooting games but this was awesome only thing hindering it from getting a 10 is the annoying camera but this game is just another awesome game by Konami super fun good story just a little bit cheeky but you fill connected to the character You feel me!
  14. Oct 21, 2012
    I've only ever played Nintendo games my entire life. They were simple with decent stories and great gameplay. Then I played Super Paper Mario, which made me realize how immersive a game could be and how connected a game could make you to a character. I listened to my friend's advice and got Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater(The 3D version, but I'm putting my review here). This game was aI've only ever played Nintendo games my entire life. They were simple with decent stories and great gameplay. Then I played Super Paper Mario, which made me realize how immersive a game could be and how connected a game could make you to a character. I listened to my friend's advice and got Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater(The 3D version, but I'm putting my review here). This game was a surprise. I'd heard the story in these games were boring and hard to follow, but this one was rather easy to understand. The characters like Eva and Sokolov were displayed very well and I felt for them like people. The gameplay works well for it and the boss battles were great, especially for shooter standards. I never minded the long cutscenes because they explained in great detail what was going on and further established my love for the characters(Even the optional Johnny). And just like any MGS game, it has one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen. The game took 15 hours to complete, but those were some of the best hours I've spent playing a game. This game hasn't changed my opinions on gaming, other than proving that a game can have seem like a movie while excelling as a game. This game currently is in my Top Five Favorite Games and I don't see that changing any time soon. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good story with a fair amount of plot twists. Expand
  15. Apr 23, 2013
    I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game.I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game. Everything is off the camera! Out of sight! and the only way to get some environmental awareness is to use the awkward first person view.

In previous titles this camera system was fine or acceptable and the reason it worked was because you had a radar/map, that gave you awareness of everything off the camera, making it less frustrating. In Snake Eater you don't have anything as useful as that and it's something Kojima failed to to spot or resolve to the games detriment.

But you know what, after getting spotted on multiple occasions due to the camera, I never finished Snake Eater. I got fed up, ditched it and bought 'Subsistence'. I can confirm that the game is awesome. With the full 3D camera movements I can actually see what's up ahead! And I can actually appreciate how attractive the game is! Dear lord! If only Kojima could have done this sooner. But sadly, the camera makes Snake Eater obsolete.
  16. Alex
    Nov 18, 2004
    Sam Fisher, eat your heart out. The king of stealth returns. This is, by leaps and bounds, the best game in the MGS series.
  17. JamesH.
    Nov 18, 2004
    Go and buy this now, and I mean NOW!!
  18. Apr 28, 2014
    No doubt, one of the best Playstation 2 games ever. It has a great storyline, awesome characters and it really shows how great the series is. It has great controls that are pretty easy to understand, and the game isn't hard to understand. Has lots of great items and etc. But the best thing about the whole game is the story. Especially the ending. If you're looking for a great shooter game,No doubt, one of the best Playstation 2 games ever. It has a great storyline, awesome characters and it really shows how great the series is. It has great controls that are pretty easy to understand, and the game isn't hard to understand. Has lots of great items and etc. But the best thing about the whole game is the story. Especially the ending. If you're looking for a great shooter game, you need to play this one. I clocked over 110 hours in the game... Expand
  19. JamesG
    May 4, 2009
    I fail to see the widespread appeal in this installment. Despite loving both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 (and later the portable games) I found Snake Eater a chore. Unlike some other negative scorers I love the long cutscenes and plots that the Metal Gear series offers, the only plot/codec based annoyance for me was the restating of the controls for the first 10-15 minutes. I fail to see the widespread appeal in this installment. Despite loving both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 (and later the portable games) I found Snake Eater a chore. Unlike some other negative scorers I love the long cutscenes and plots that the Metal Gear series offers, the only plot/codec based annoyance for me was the restating of the controls for the first 10-15 minutes. The story is a convoluted train wreck which seems to lack any clear direction in places leaving characters to paraphrase what has been said before. I also found it the least interesting in the Metal Gear franchise, as the Cold War scenario eventually boils down to nothing more than a metal gear hunt, wasting much potential. However, the story is passable enough (and short enough - in comparison to the others at least) to carry the game. The gameplay suffers in the jungle environment too. The food system is a fun addition, if nothing more than a gimmick - as is the camo system. Unfortunately the upsides of the jungle end there. For the most part the game feels like a corridor shooter with a few trees painted on the walls. It lacks the amazing artistic direction that so many other games on the Playstaion 2 show. Being a prequel (so it isn't referenced by the rest of the series often) Snake Eater is well worth a go, because it's something you can leave part way through and skip onto the next title in the series. Expand
  20. Mar 9, 2013
    The healing and eating and the constantly changing of the camouflage are annoying and just disturbs the player. However the story is good and also the graphics are.
    Its a good game but i liked it predecessor more.
  21. whatashame
    Mar 20, 2004
    Forty somthing votes, and everyone of you have hardly even seen the game, i would like to be the first to say that, EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE LOSERS. Rate the game when you get it and have played it, you bunch of game whores. Damn.
    Not even the REAL CRITICS said anything about the game yet, but you Life-less virgins just have to say how much you can't wait for it.
    Why doesn?t
    Why doesn?t Metacritic ban these losers from posting.. And my score goes to the people that voted here before the game came out(or seen it, or PLAYED IT, or bought it), and not to metal gear itself..
  22. IvanDrago
    Jun 27, 2004
    Ill probably love this game when it comes out, because I love all of the others. But because its NOT out and I dont know, for now im giving it a big fat zero to drop the score because of all the fanboys voting prematurely. Now this user score is not accurate thanks to them.
  23. rambo
    Dec 19, 2007
    I was a fan of Metal Gear Solid since MGS1 get out, i liked it so much for its originality and others, his sequel MGS2 was good too but the third title MGS3 is so bad, i dunno we are talkin about the same game. The Camera is the Worst thing in this game. I cannot recommend this game to anyone, just wait for MGS4 which i hopi will be better than this suckin game
  24. AnthonyC.
    Dec 5, 2004
    A step up from two. Story telling at it's best. Kojima is a genius. Big Boss is the coolest character since Neo.
  25. FedericoM.
    Jan 7, 2005
    It's simply the best!
  26. JimmyD.
    Feb 2, 2005
    What is it with all of you guys/gals...this is NOT a very user friendly game..the controls are horrendous and the in game graphics sub-par and grainy at times...I dont get it...not worth my time.
  27. PaulO.
    Mar 24, 2005
    Metal gear is a good game but it's very long cut sequences and bad camera angles let it down in my eyes but still worth getting. :)
  28. SeanQ.
    Sep 8, 2005
    This was my first experience with any of the Metal Gear series. I was looking forward to it because I had heard so many good things about this legendary series, but I was greatly disappointed. It tries to be a Tom Clancy/Bond movie and video game epic, but it was just incredibly frustrating to me. The camera angle was fixed and made navigating around each map a total chore. The random This was my first experience with any of the Metal Gear series. I was looking forward to it because I had heard so many good things about this legendary series, but I was greatly disappointed. It tries to be a Tom Clancy/Bond movie and video game epic, but it was just incredibly frustrating to me. The camera angle was fixed and made navigating around each map a total chore. The random little sneak peaks of female characters in compromising positions served no purpose except to maybe try and get the players all hot and bothered--but just distracted from the seriousness and sense of urgency that the rest of the game seemed to try and impart. Administering first aid was a pointless chore. Eating was a pointless chore. And when I wasn't doing those things, I was playing dress up with Snake and watching a little camoflauge percentage indicator in the corner of the screen. From what I could gather of the plot, it was completely linear. I felt like I was on rails. Nothing was fun. Hiding from AI is not exciting. I couldn't care less how many different ways there to slit a guys throat. And I was forced to wade through over an hour of the crappiest attempt at a video game movie I've ever seen to play this? Worst voice acting ever. I probably would have loved it for the kitsch value, but when you have to slog through so much of it, and press the x button every five or ten minutes just to get through it, you start to wonder who the hell thinks he's such a hotshot videogame producer that he seriously thinks people will buy into this crap. And it seems like everyone has! I just don't get it. I wanted to love this game. I wanted to play something different and new, but there was absolutely no flow. Considering how groundbreaking and dazzling I had heard this game was, I am mystified that I could never even get off the ground with it. I am just glad that it was a rental and that Snake fans seem happy with it. Unless MGS 4 changes the camera, there's no way I'll be playing it. And if Hideo Kojima wants to subject me to another utterly pretentious take on directing a screenplay, forget about it. I don't play chores, I play video games. Expand
  29. Alfgrr
    Nov 2, 2004
    This will kill every game that comes out this year.
  30. AndrejJ.
    Nov 8, 2004
    This is the best game in the world. Congrats to Hideo Kojima and every one who developed this game. It's a world wonder

When all is said and done, Snake Eater achieves what no other game can on such a level: complete immersion into an action-driven interactive movie.
  2. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best game of the year? Yes. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best in its series? No.
  3. There has never been, and will not be for a long time a more convincing and immersive game released.