• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2004
  • Also On: 3DS
9.3

1. Jul 24, 2011
    Snake Eater has my favorite storyline of any game ive ever played. I have never felt such a connecting to a story before. The gameplay is some of the best in gaming if not the best. A classic if there ever was one.
  2. Jul 24, 2011
    This game was brilliant and story wise is one of my favourite in the series. In this game players can watch past events as they shape the future of the series. For example players will be taking control of a new character and will watch the rise of Big Boss and how he became the legend. The game play is also greatly improved making it much more flexible and gives players more variety asThis game was brilliant and story wise is one of my favourite in the series. In this game players can watch past events as they shape the future of the series. For example players will be taking control of a new character and will watch the rise of Big Boss and how he became the legend. The game play is also greatly improved making it much more flexible and gives players more variety as they can carry a set of equipment and weapons of their own chossing. Expand
  3. Sep 7, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay isMetal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay is incredibly fun and the game is addictive with tons of replay value wether be on a more challenging difficulty or that extra run to try to beat the game with complete stealth. Characters are great and very interesting. Nothing bad to say about this one. MGS3 will go down as one of the greatest video games in history and an absolute masterpiece by the mastermind Hideo Kojima. Expand
  4. Jul 4, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games ever created and it's my personal favorite Metal Gear Solid game. As most MGS fans know, each game in the series is unique, but none really compare to the brilliance that is Snake Eater. The gameplay at first glance may seem complex, but it's really easy to get used to and is easily modified to best fit your personal preference. The camera controlsThis is definitely one of the best games ever created and it's my personal favorite Metal Gear Solid game. As most MGS fans know, each game in the series is unique, but none really compare to the brilliance that is Snake Eater. The gameplay at first glance may seem complex, but it's really easy to get used to and is easily modified to best fit your personal preference. The camera controls are wonderful and the visuals and style are incomparable to any other game out there. A lot of it is cheesy and may be ridiculed if seen in a film, but there's this sort of depth to the characters and story, plus many twists and turns that are impossible to predict and wonderful attention to detail that it easily can be considered one of the best video games in existence. It's literally the only game out there where I don't find the constant percentages and various statistics regarding Naked Snake's survival annoying. Going to the 'start menu' is actually fun. Healing Snake's wounds and changing camo to hide better in different areas never really feels like a chore and the parts where you get stuck always take some thought (it's not a game that you just mindlessly dawdle your way through). This is definitely a game worth any true gamer's time. Expand
  5. Nov 1, 2011
    This game does not cease to be interesting at any point. The 3rd installment in the Metal Gear Solid series is nothing to shy away from, instead try to go and buy it. Heres the jist of it. The campaign is very engaging and informative that will make you teary at points. Like Hideo Kojima wants, the gamer will be placed this time in Big Boss's body, the real Snake. The new system involvingThis game does not cease to be interesting at any point. The 3rd installment in the Metal Gear Solid series is nothing to shy away from, instead try to go and buy it. Heres the jist of it. The campaign is very engaging and informative that will make you teary at points. Like Hideo Kojima wants, the gamer will be placed this time in Big Boss's body, the real Snake. The new system involving survival is original and adds on the Metal Gear Solid's array of well crafted ideals placed in a game. Overall, the game is magnificent and nothing short of greatness. Expand
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    my review for my favorite PS2 game, MGS3.

SINGLE PLAYER (STORY)- 10/10. a outstanding story with the most breathtaking twist i have ever encountered in the last generation of gaming. i don't want to spoil anything else :). GRAPHICS- 9/10. it pushes the PS2 to the max. great cutscenes (minus the laughable lip-synching), and great visual quality overall. SOUND- 10/10. exceptional voice
    my review for my favorite PS2 game, MGS3.

SOUND- 10/10. exceptional voice acting, and and a top quality score.
    GAMEPLAY- 8.5/10. i personally didn't have much of a problem, but some people had trouble adjusting to the complex controls. otherwise, no gameplay problems here. very fun stealth/ action gameplay.
    FUN FACTOR- 10/10. a top-notch game that absolutely everyone who likes action/stealth games needs to play.
    OVERALL- 10/10.
  7. Apr 11, 2014
    Im not very in to shooting games but this was awesome only thing hindering it from getting a 10 is the annoying camera but this game is just another awesome game by Konami super fun good story just a little bit cheeky but you fill connected to the character You feel me!
  8. Oct 21, 2012
    I've only ever played Nintendo games my entire life. They were simple with decent stories and great gameplay. Then I played Super Paper Mario, which made me realize how immersive a game could be and how connected a game could make you to a character. I listened to my friend's advice and got Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater(The 3D version, but I'm putting my review here). This game was aI've only ever played Nintendo games my entire life. They were simple with decent stories and great gameplay. Then I played Super Paper Mario, which made me realize how immersive a game could be and how connected a game could make you to a character. I listened to my friend's advice and got Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater(The 3D version, but I'm putting my review here). This game was a surprise. I'd heard the story in these games were boring and hard to follow, but this one was rather easy to understand. The characters like Eva and Sokolov were displayed very well and I felt for them like people. The gameplay works well for it and the boss battles were great, especially for shooter standards. I never minded the long cutscenes because they explained in great detail what was going on and further established my love for the characters(Even the optional Johnny). And just like any MGS game, it has one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen. The game took 15 hours to complete, but those were some of the best hours I've spent playing a game. This game hasn't changed my opinions on gaming, other than proving that a game can have seem like a movie while excelling as a game. This game currently is in my Top Five Favorite Games and I don't see that changing any time soon. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good story with a fair amount of plot twists. Expand
  9. Apr 23, 2013
    I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game.I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game. Everything is off the camera! Out of sight! and the only way to get some environmental awareness is to use the awkward first person view.

In previous titles this camera system was fine or acceptable and the reason it worked was because you had a radar/map, that gave you awareness of everything off the camera, making it less frustrating. In Snake Eater you don't have anything as useful as that and it's something Kojima failed to to spot or resolve to the games detriment.

But you know what, after getting spotted on multiple occasions due to the camera, I never finished Snake Eater. I got fed up, ditched it and bought 'Subsistence'. I can confirm that the game is awesome. With the full 3D camera movements I can actually see what's up ahead! And I can actually appreciate how attractive the game is! Dear lord! If only Kojima could have done this sooner. But sadly, the camera makes Snake Eater obsolete.
  10. Apr 28, 2014
    No doubt, one of the best Playstation 2 games ever. It has a great storyline, awesome characters and it really shows how great the series is. It has great controls that are pretty easy to understand, and the game isn't hard to understand. Has lots of great items and etc. But the best thing about the whole game is the story. Especially the ending. If you're looking for a great shooter game,No doubt, one of the best Playstation 2 games ever. It has a great storyline, awesome characters and it really shows how great the series is. It has great controls that are pretty easy to understand, and the game isn't hard to understand. Has lots of great items and etc. But the best thing about the whole game is the story. Especially the ending. If you're looking for a great shooter game, you need to play this one. I clocked over 110 hours in the game... Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    The healing and eating and the constantly changing of the camouflage are annoying and just disturbs the player. However the story is good and also the graphics are.
    Its a good game but i liked it predecessor more.
  12. Jun 9, 2013
    A slight departure from the template laid down in the first two Metal Gear Solid games 'Snake Eater' takes place in a Russian jungle in 1964, a time before the enemy detecting radar had been invented. While there are still a number of tools available to help navigate through the maze of bad guys and other traps between you and your goal this change brings a whole new level of tension toA slight departure from the template laid down in the first two Metal Gear Solid games 'Snake Eater' takes place in a Russian jungle in 1964, a time before the enemy detecting radar had been invented. While there are still a number of tools available to help navigate through the maze of bad guys and other traps between you and your goal this change brings a whole new level of tension to the gameplay, no longer can you be certain of exactly where the enemies are.

The jungle itself also provides for a far more interesting setting than the difficult to navigate oil rig from the series previous entry. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing but it also has a real impact upon gameplay with your level of camouflage vital to remaining hidden. It is also possible to capture and eat the wildlife in order to restore health with injuries now affecting Snake's ability to run and aim accurately.

The games hand-to-hand fighting mechanics have also seen an overhaul with the introduction of the CQC system. This allows Snake to pull off a more complex set of combat moves and even tackle more than one enemy at once. Be warned however that getting spotted and outnumbered will still quickly get you killed!
    On the negative side there is still the odd camera issue to be found but the biggest problem, as with previous Metal Gear games, continues to be the quite frankly ludicrously long cut scenes (Some must exceed the half-hour mark!). If I wanted to watch a movie I’d have put one in the disc tray instead of the game disc and it would be certainly make more sense.

Other than this (rather important) issue however the Metal Gear Solid series continue to provide the best gameplay in its genre and Snake Eater is certainly worth adding to any collection.
  13. Nov 4, 2011
    I think this is the best storyline of any game I ever played and its simply the best game I ever played!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Jun 23, 2012
    The mechanics may make the end game stumble a little bit, but the humor, story, character, and amazing world that Mr. Kojima has created is stunning, wonderful, and absolutely astoundingly incredible. One of the best games of all time in a series that stands as the culmination of phenomenal storytelling and incredibly unique mechanics. A classic.
  15. Mar 1, 2013
    After every Metal Gear Solid the game and story gets better. Whenever I play an MGS game I think that Kojima cannot outdo himself be he does and that is why MGS is so good. MGS 3 is the best story in the series so far. The game is so engaging and emotional. If you did not cry at the end of the game I don't think any movie or game can make you cry.
  16. Oct 15, 2012
    Es el mejor Metal Gear o por lo menos mi favorito. Desde los jefes finales, la historia, las inolvidables secuencias de video,los escenarios hasta el novedoso CQC, el camuflage o la supervivencia; todo contribuye a crear la mejor experiencia que se puede vivir como agente secreto.
    GRAFICOS:10 SONIDO: 8 DIVERSION:9 DURACION: 8
  17. Jun 9, 2012
    Not as good as MGS2, but a VERY close contender! As a longtime fan of the series, this is my second favorite entry if not tied with MGS2 in some aspects. I don't know what else to say aside from the fact that it's simply an amazing work of art. Yup, that's right, it's so good it's a work of art! Same with 1 and 2! I love Metal Gear!!
  18. May 27, 2012
    Game is one of the best games I've ever played! One of the best cinematic games as well! Masterpiece game! Better than a lot of movies!
  19. Aug 26, 2012
    This game is one of the greatest games ever made. I won't spoil the ending but it is one of the greatest endings to any game ever. The bosses are all very different from one another, while some have you running and gunning tactics, some require a stealth approach, hand to hand combat, or even your typical boss with a simple tactic to beating him. Some bosses even have unique ways to fightThis game is one of the greatest games ever made. I won't spoil the ending but it is one of the greatest endings to any game ever. The bosses are all very different from one another, while some have you running and gunning tactics, some require a stealth approach, hand to hand combat, or even your typical boss with a simple tactic to beating him. Some bosses even have unique ways to fight them such as food poisoning for example. The stealth game play is great. The camera stays behind you so you can actually see in front of you. Hunting for food is rewarding, and figuring out what food is best and how to use the jungle to your advantage is it's own reward. You can throw snakes at guards or even carefully toss them in a river or place them in front of a trap. Expand
  20. Oct 28, 2013
    One of the best games of PS2 (it's on my top 10), and alongside with MGS1 the best games of the series. The prequel of the Bipedal Tank nukes could'nt be more epic than MGS3.
  21. Dec 20, 2012
    One of the best experiences you will have in your life (and I
  22. Sep 7, 2013
    I recently watched my friend play the end of this game and it was the most painful thing i have ever witnessed. Not because of the game, just his pure apathy towards video games in general. Eva has rockin' and she unzips her jacket ALOT, so you can see massive cleavage. I wish her and Snake bumped uglies more often. Oh well, still a perfect game.
  23. Oct 13, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 3 was originally in development for the upcoming PS3, However the gap between game and console release was long enough for Hideo Kojima to push the PS2 to it's limit and release MGS3 November 2004.

Everybody in development pretty much agreed it would be set in the jungle, The wonderful and horrifying idea of creating a prequel set in the 1964 Cold War meant the gadget laden nature and philosophy of Metal Gear could threaten the previous installments of the series but also fall flat, Kojima planned to leave Metal Gear after MGS2 as he felt it was left open ended enough for others to develop, regardless he has continued to helm the series even to this day and made the smartest direction possible for a prequel, A James Bond Homage.

Finally revealing the series origins The Virtuous Mission begins in 1964, CIA Operative Naked Snake (David Hayter) is sent by Major Tom a former British Special Air Service member to retrieve defective Russian scientist Sokolov who is developing a nuclear equipped tank "The Shagohod", during the mission Snake is contacted by his former mentor The Boss, The relationship between her and Snake seems to go beyond that of a teacher and student but not that of a pair of lovers as Snake later addresses. She simply is a remarkable soldier with many accomplishments.

After confronting a young Revolver Ocelot, the mission goes haywire once The Boss reveals to Snake she is defecting to the Soviet Union and gives her new benefactor Col. Volgin two "Davy Crockett" Nuclear warheads, with the help of her former comrades "The Cobra unit" they re-take Sokolov she breaks her former students arm and throws him off a bridge. whilst leaving via helicopter Volgin then unexpectedly fires a nuke to cover up the Scientists theft subsequently blaming The Boss for the attack.

After the very impressive cascading titular opening sung by Cynthia Harrell, The Snake Eater mission begins, Snake must make contact with the agents ADAM and EVA, rescue Sokolov destroy the Shagohod
    and kill his former mentor the Boss.

What begins is pretty much the best spy game ever made, tracking through the harsh jungle environment Snake has to procure resources from the flora and fauna, mend cuts and broken bones all the way to the Russian stronghold. along the way stealth is handled by various disguises and face make up best situated to the area through easily navigated menu's.

Though the dialogue can seem off in some area's each character is weirdly wonderful, motivation and ideologies are unfortunately shared only between the 5-6 main characters and the villians ambushes though not fleshed out entirely well offer something interesting in terms of their theming,The Cobra Unit is made up of The Boss (The Joy), The Sorrow, The Fury, The End, The Fear & The Pain, though the Pain doesn't really fit as it's a sensation rather than an emotion, each fight has a certain strategy behind it, The End is obviously debatable as one of the greatest bosses in a video game history for being so open ended and being able to last hours.

The somewhat forced relationship between Eva & Snake will inevitably grown on you as Eva becomes more self-reliant and a lot more than just blatant sex appeal, But throughout the comic relief provided by Revolver Ocelot The relationship between Snake and The Boss is all that matters meaning their eventual encounter will alter each other deeply.

All this and more has been woven together perfectly, Harry Gregson Williams music reflects the gritty era and Kojima's trademark humour throws in various Jazz numbers perfectly complimenting the work created. Lastly an honorable mention to Yoji Shinkawa, his artworks are impeccable regardless of style and times, not that anyone complained.

When all is said and done MGS3's theme is "Scene" the setup for the franchise is beautifully told and voiced by the English cast brilliantly, it received universal praise for it's gameplay and has aged incredibly well. The exploits of Naked Snakes eventually downturn to the series antagonist "Big Boss" had begun. 9.5.
  24. Jul 6, 2013
    Snake Eater is certainly worth playing. It's a decent game start to finish, but there are some major flaws I would like to point out. The long cut-scenes are not one of them. If they are needed to tell the story, then they are okay in my book. Gameplay is well done. All the gameplay flaws from Sons of Liberty have been ironed out and your vitality in a combat situation is well improved.Snake Eater is certainly worth playing. It's a decent game start to finish, but there are some major flaws I would like to point out. The long cut-scenes are not one of them. If they are needed to tell the story, then they are okay in my book. Gameplay is well done. All the gameplay flaws from Sons of Liberty have been ironed out and your vitality in a combat situation is well improved. Now to some of my major complaints. I actually found the camera excusable in Sons of Liberty due to the small and narrow corridors. In Snake Eater, the camera work is less than stellar. Environments are expansive and huge. The camera is useless now that I can't see ten feet in front of me and the radar has been omitted. I ran into several occasions where the game turned into a frustrating run and gun in some of the areas populated by numerous enemies. There is now a food system, which I thought was implemented well, but now there is a cure system in which you have to pause the game and cure EVERY injury you receive. As you might expect, it can get rather tedious and is just an extraneous addition when bosses hit you with attacks that can constantly drain your health unless cured. The story of the game is superb. It becomes well appreciated and is very thoughtful. The soundtrack is once again composed by Harry Gregson-Williams and I have to say, it is a lot better than the occasional jazzy, lounge like tracks in sons of Liberty. But during the majority of the game, no music is heard except for bosses and alerts. I thought this made the game seem somewhat empty and unfinished. The graphics are gorgeous. They definitely push the PS2 to its limits. Overall, this is a good game especially if you are a fan of the series. It never reaches the heights of Sons of Liberty, but is a welcome addition to the franchise. My score may seem rather low, but if the camera issues and the cure system were fixed, I can definitely see this title receiving a 9. Expand
  25. Jun 22, 2014
    Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is a masterpiece from the beginning to the end. Movie and game combined with excellency. Great gameplay, graphics and story. The camera is not so good.
  26. Apr 8, 2014
    Probably the best MGS series I have played.Everything is perfect, the environment, the enemies , the arsenal , the character , the story and the list goes on and on and on.
  27. Jul 18, 2014
    This is the best game in the series in my opinion. The game play has been perfected, its paced beautifuly, it has one of the greatest story lines ever told and it s still fun to play today. Some of the most most memorable moments in games are found her, thanks to some awesome boss fights and great cut scenes. In my opinion this is a masterpiece and pretty well perfect game.
  28. May 6, 2014
    Lots of times, many people get angry over games with long cutscenes and being a so called almost interactive movie, I also feel that way. But, Metal gear solid 3 nails the mix between cutscenes and gameplay perfectly, and the story is touching, you care about it, you even want more cutscenes, and so many suprises from Hideo Kojima's crazy mind, I literally thought the game ended 3 times!Lots of times, many people get angry over games with long cutscenes and being a so called almost interactive movie, I also feel that way. But, Metal gear solid 3 nails the mix between cutscenes and gameplay perfectly, and the story is touching, you care about it, you even want more cutscenes, and so many suprises from Hideo Kojima's crazy mind, I literally thought the game ended 3 times! Easily one of the best games of all time Expand
  29. May 12, 2014
    this is the best game I've ever played.the camera is **** in the beginning but it just takes practice and the use of first-person vision that the rest is a breeze. the history of the game of a twist at the end. and delicious EVE with Bikini hummm... the final scene of them is hot
  30. Sep 23, 2010
    The origins of the enigmatic Big Boss are explained in this worthy part of the Metal Gear Solid series. Arguably the most complex and gripping game of 2004.
  31. Oct 3, 2010
    This was the weakest entry in this series but that is not really saying a bad thing, with it still being a great game when you compare it to others. I would definitely recommend this if you own a PS2 and want an amazing game for a low low price.
  32. Apr 20, 2012
    Smart, imaginative and exciting, Snake Eater surpasses MGS2 in almost every way. The game looks great, the environments are a nice change, the survival mechanics are implemented well and the cast of villains is among the best in any video game. The controls are also improved but still feel clunky and stiff. The story is entertaining but not as engaging as previous games in the series.Smart, imaginative and exciting, Snake Eater surpasses MGS2 in almost every way. The game looks great, the environments are a nice change, the survival mechanics are implemented well and the cast of villains is among the best in any video game. The controls are also improved but still feel clunky and stiff. The story is entertaining but not as engaging as previous games in the series. Special appreciation has to go to the spectacular boss fights. Each one is brimming with creativity and will change how you view this old video game staple. Expand
  33. Apr 11, 2011
    Basically this one is totally different from the other MGS games is focused more in the survivalist way rather than an a urban zone. This installment is set on the jungle and the main protagonist is Big Boss (the original Snake or Naked Snake). I loved the game and is very entertaining the story ,the gameplay etc. You made it again Hideo Kojima
  34. Jun 13, 2011
    It's exceeded by its enhancement, Subsistence. But that doesn't take away from the fun I had before it. Pros: Excellent graphics and sound; greatly told, involving storyline; charismatic characters; variety of moves and weapons. Cons: Dated camera system and poor control; too much dialogue may turn off certain gamers.
  35. Jul 5, 2011
    stealth game.....i like this game ......especially when i fighting all the boss in this game.i always play this game when i bored...i have played mgs2,mgs3 and mgs4..all of them are the best!
  36. Apr 26, 2015
    To preface, I didn't really enjoy Snake Eater until the Subsistence/HD versions updated the camera. I found this version very flawed in its sneaking sections; apparently some drug addled lunatic on Kojima's team thought that using the same 'fixed' camera setup from MGS2 would work fine in a jungle environment when you have no radar, and no LOS cones. It doesn't. Maybe I shouldn't takeTo preface, I didn't really enjoy Snake Eater until the Subsistence/HD versions updated the camera. I found this version very flawed in its sneaking sections; apparently some drug addled lunatic on Kojima's team thought that using the same 'fixed' camera setup from MGS2 would work fine in a jungle environment when you have no radar, and no LOS cones. It doesn't. Maybe I shouldn't take discovery so seriously in these games, but I'd like to stay hidden, that's kind of hard when the camera insists it wants to be top-down, or facing Snake from the front, when I need to be seeing in front of me. The R1 first person function is OK, but as Snake is unable to move in this mode, it's borderline useless.

In all other departments, Snake Eater is excellent and probably my favourite Metal Gear; it occupies a weird line between all the depth and seriousness of an anti-war statement and the OTT silliness of a James Bond movie mixed in with some Rambo; some genuine laugh-out loud moments sandwiched between some thought-provoking writing and genuinely impressive action scenes.

The gameplay is generally much improved from MGS2, sneaking has added dimensions thanks to the 'camouflage', 'food' and 'cure' mechanics, CQC , as well as the simple fact that the jungle is so much more fun to sneak in.

Snake Eater might have one of the greatest showcases in a Metal Gear game, the Shagohod/Volgin/Boss section is rivaled only by piloting REX and having a fistfight with Ocelot in MGS4. You can also look forward to more pant-wetting, R1 to boob peeping, sniping bosses early, more crotch-grabbing, anti-Raiden jokes, arguments about James Bond, conversations about movies, shooting green rubber frogs, loads of easter eggs and an impressive level of attention to detail.
  37. Feb 24, 2012
    This is the best game i have ever played. It is definitely the best game in the metal gear series. Kojima could had made this his only game and would still appeal as the best game director.Snake Eater has the greatest story in a game I've ever played.The boss battles are the most memorable of any game. This is truly a Masterpiece.
  38. Feb 23, 2012
    mgs 3, just another classic. great graphics for an 04' game. cutting russian soldiers throats is very satisfying. mess around in the jungle killing animals and eating them, treating gunshot wounds and cuts. wild boss fights, alot of action. really enjoyed the camo system. answers questions about the previous metal gears, poses new ones. and its just incredible that snakes radio ismgs 3, just another classic. great graphics for an 04' game. cutting russian soldiers throats is very satisfying. mess around in the jungle killing animals and eating them, treating gunshot wounds and cuts. wild boss fights, alot of action. really enjoyed the camo system. answers questions about the previous metal gears, poses new ones. and its just incredible that snakes radio is indistrucable. 10/10 must play Expand
  39. Jul 30, 2012
    Snake Eater is easily one of my favourite games on the ps2. It's the third "solid" entry in a series famous for its convulted plot, bizarre characters and pretestuos philosophical preachings. Yet this game averts all of the above providing an immersive storyline with "solid" characters, clever level design and a balanced gameplay-cutscene ratio. In this game you play as "Naked snake" whoSnake Eater is easily one of my favourite games on the ps2. It's the third "solid" entry in a series famous for its convulted plot, bizarre characters and pretestuos philosophical preachings. Yet this game averts all of the above providing an immersive storyline with "solid" characters, clever level design and a balanced gameplay-cutscene ratio. In this game you play as "Naked snake" who will later be known as "big boss", whose main mission is to rescue the scientist Sokolov in russian field during the cold war. It's a novelization of the historical facts with the mgs usual twist. i won't spoil the game for you so enough with the plot. Since the setting as changed from a near-future to a not so distant past, the technology available to the player is different: no more ominscent-radars or codec or (dear lord) no nanomachines. Your avatar now has two energy bars: one is the usual health bar, once it reaches zero it's game over, but it refills with time; the other one is the "resistance" bar, it affects your precision, sight, resistence to damage etc... You can refill this bar with another addition:eating. In this game you can hunt animals in order to eat em or tossing them to enemies distracting them. Player-damage has changed also, you can cure your wounds by manually choosing the broken body part and using the appropriate medicine. It's way simpler to play than to explain so trust me it's not annoying. All this animal hunting and bone-healing is not done in a close structure like the big shell but most of the time Snake will wander through beautiful outdoors, with the occasional building popping in. These environments are all beautifully renderd, even though I'll admit that indoors are not as detailed as in previous entries, but that's the price to pay to this overall spectacle. The sense of immersion is helped by the beautiful and fitting music and background noises. Speaking of sounds, voice acting is superb, helping each cast member shine through the experience. In this game the characters are at worst bearable (which is much to say speaking of mgs) and at best memorable. In the end the game is great, fun to play and pleasant to watch, with a memorable plot, a must buy if you own a ps2. Expand
  40. Jul 18, 2012
    MGS3 has my favorite storyline of any game ive ever played. I have never felt such a connecting to a story before. Kojima truly is amazing director and writer. This game has it all. Great characters, music, story, gameplay and boss fights.
  41. Aug 10, 2014
    When i played and completed this game, then played and completed RE4, I felt that MGS3: Snake Eater paled in comparison, simply because I despised the isometric quasi 3D camera system, YET... when I played the Subsistence version, it became level with RE4 and one of the greatest games I have ever played, simply because the new 3D camera system made it a more immersive experience and theWhen i played and completed this game, then played and completed RE4, I felt that MGS3: Snake Eater paled in comparison, simply because I despised the isometric quasi 3D camera system, YET... when I played the Subsistence version, it became level with RE4 and one of the greatest games I have ever played, simply because the new 3D camera system made it a more immersive experience and the game it should have always been. Kojima should have given the same 3D treatment to Sons of Liberty and also Twin Snakes. I'd have loved to have played them in 3D. Anyway, regarding Snake Eater, just buy Subsistence. it is a far superior version. Expand
  42. Mar 19, 2015
    This game has been remade on many platforms, so don't think my review is exclusive to PS2. Honestly if you can learn the controls (Which in my opinion are awesome but many disagree) I think the 3DS version might be the best one. That being said, wow.

Kojima has never come this close to glory again. True, untainted glory. The story is involving, exciting, mysterious and tragic. The gameplay is incredibly solid, giving the rush of danger like no other and putting the player in Naked Snake's shoes with hardcore hunger and medical systems.

The cutscenes, while long are this time engaging, and feel like a James Bond movie. The first few go a little long, but I was never waiting for them to end. Grab some popcorn when you play the first chapter, but don't think of that as a bad thing. MGS cutscens ARE long, you can go up to an hour or so without any real gameplay in these games and that's okay when it's done right, like it is here. I got emotional to the end of this game, and I first played it on the tiny little 3ds. Buy Snake Eater.It's the first Metal Gear Solid game canonically (despite the 3 in the title), the best place for newbies to start and spends the least amount of time wasting your playtime with forced exposition and redundant dialogue. There's a lot to be seen here, especially on a second play through and if you can make it past the rather masochistic torture scenes you'll find an ACTUAL mature game that earns its money.
  43. Mar 20, 2015
    This game it's the prove on how big it's this saga and Kojima and his team.

After put two amazing games, he risk so much to change essential things. -He changed the story (which is the most identifying thing on the metal gear saga), change the complete tematic for this, Cold war, the 60's, not the "nano-machine" thing, and the futuristic thing that we used to see on Metal Gear 1 and
    This game it's the prove on how big it's this saga and Kojima and his team.

After put two amazing games, he risk so much to change essential things.

-He changed the story (which is the most identifying thing on the metal gear saga), change the complete tematic for this, Cold war, the 60's, not the "nano-machine" thing, and the futuristic thing that we used to see on Metal Gear 1 and mostly Metal gear 2.

He prefer not to continue with the main story, and all the fans are waiting so hard for that.

The game change too, NO SOLITON RADAR!!! and the development of CQC, the survival package, and the stamina bar, NO RATIONS (only for recover stamina), the camouflage bar the face paint, etc.

All those big changes on the same platform, and maintend the sthealth at his beast, what a genius.

He change the game with all the risk that implies that, but give us to the fans the two things that we wanted, an amazing history and a good STEALTH GAME.

Plus, some really good boss fightings (much better than the MGS and by far much better than MGS2).

He put into the story of Big Boss, a character that we only knew as the father of Liquid and Solid, but even for some people Solid and Big Boss are the same, there are some differences on the character personality that mades him unique, he created another protagonist and i love that.

I will not lie, i cried at the end of the game and i spend more than 2 hours to kill The End.
    The Ocelot thing was really really good and memorable. And Volgin.....greatest villian ever.

Even the EVA story with Big Boss wasn't bad, i mean was better than the Meryl and Snake.

And The Sorrow part????. I don't remember how i pass that.

I guess this it's the second or third best game on the PS2 history, only behind GTA: san Andreas and Gran Turismo 4. For em it's bigger than resident evil 4 and God Od War or Call Of Duty.

This was the first time that i cried with a game
  44. Jun 15, 2013
    metal gear solid 3 is the best one in the series gameplay became the best in this one there is no radar which is better and made you think of how to play and continue in the game i loved the camouflage and healing system in the game the graphics are amazing and let me tell you that this game has the best ending i've ever seen so far the best story i've ever seen
  45. May 20, 2014
    I know that Kojima wanted a more realistic game and he did with the best graphics compared to Half Life 2 and Halo 2. But the radar or map as been removed to make it more difficult to hide and the worst of all the camera wasn't improve since the original metal gear solid except for the first person view improved from mgs 2 but still can't move is legs while aiming. The noticeableI know that Kojima wanted a more realistic game and he did with the best graphics compared to Half Life 2 and Halo 2. But the radar or map as been removed to make it more difficult to hide and the worst of all the camera wasn't improve since the original metal gear solid except for the first person view improved from mgs 2 but still can't move is legs while aiming. The noticeable improvements were the stamina bar that is used to represent hunger from Naked Snake in which you must find food in order to regain stamina, also poison is been use to affect the player or the Fear boss, removing bullets, etc. Very realistic, masterful acting especially from The Boss a shocking story and more importantly the can last between 8 to 14 hours long. It maybe longer than it's two predecessors but doesn't have better playing when the first two came out in their respective years. My sincere review 8.8 out of 10. Expand
  46. Jun 30, 2013
    Story is pretty bad, but the game was good until EVA showed up totally ruined MGS experience.no need another words if EVA was not join snake then the game would be 5x better. i remember originaly there was no EVA in the game just a man with motorcycle in the first trailer well that was the real MGS3, Not to mention the idiot James Bond style musics and feeling. yeah i love james bondStory is pretty bad, but the game was good until EVA showed up totally ruined MGS experience.no need another words if EVA was not join snake then the game would be 5x better. i remember originaly there was no EVA in the game just a man with motorcycle in the first trailer well that was the real MGS3, Not to mention the idiot James Bond style musics and feeling. yeah i love james bond movies but this isn't good for MGS univere is just not fit this james bond style for mgs game.Kojima should stop this.Anyway anyone know why kojima keep calling the game MGS without Solid snake? why not just Metal Gear Snake Eater? Expand
  47. Jan 9, 2014
    An amazing game. This game explores the story of Big Boss, how is that not awesome. The gameplay is thrilling, the story is great, the soundtrack is great (Snake Eater!) and the characters are awesomely memorable probably some of the best of any game. The beginning is a little slow though. I highly recommend this game to anyone.
  48. Jan 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily my favorite Metal Gear game. It has an amazing storyline with an amazing twist at the end. The gameplay fits perfectly with the jungle theme. It looked amazing at its time, even though the lipsynch was laughable.
    The Boss battles were quite good with a few exceptions. Especially The End and The Boss boss battles were the best. With The End battle searching him and then landing some good shots on him. And with The Boss boss battle (Yo dawg I heard you liked bosses) when you have to press the square button to shoot The Boss yourself, it made you feel guilt.
    If you enjoy amazing stories with survival gameplay, pick this up. You will not regret it.
  49. Jub
    Mar 7, 2015
    *My review is for the HD collection version but as that is a bundled game I'll write it here in stead.*

As a lot of people have already said: the controls are so horrible that I gave up with trying to play this game properly. I love sneaking games and really wanted to enjoy this also but I couldn't. I literally spent hours at the start trying to figure out how to interact with the

I literally spent hours at the start trying to figure out how to interact with the cover. The camera interaction, inverting controls, and dodgy object clipping simply ruined the experience for me. Everyone around me is saying "Snake, remember this is a sneaking mission". I know this, I'm trying my darndest to hide. It's just that I like to stand up when my elbow clips a tree and I also enjoy running out from cover because the controls have inverted on me. I honestly don't think this aspect could have been worse if they tried.

Something else that bugs me is Hideo Kojima's obsession with fan service. A little is fine and can actually improve the experience especially when it's subtle. Half naked women jumping out every 5 minutes and throwing themselves over Snake destroys all immersion for me, but then again, I'm 30 years old and not an adolescent pervert.

The game does look really nice and the character model interactions are also very good e.g. the punching, carrying bodies and alike.

A great story just awful game play.
  50. Nov 2, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Game-play:Stealth is the base of the game play in this game but if you want you can go full in action the shooting and the movement are realistic also all the items are useful. Story:The story of this game is excellent the best story i have ever played and one of the best endings ever.It will take you about 16 to 18 hours. Graphics:The graphics are
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Graphics:The graphics are also excellent it is better than some games on the ps3 and xbox360.

Notes:Some of the best written characters ever,also i loved the weapons and gadgets,This is a legendary game buy at full price.
  51. Sep 22, 2014
    It was pretty fun, but it's very overrated, story wasn't that amazing either. Constantly going into the menu to change camouflage and fixing yourself up nearly every time you take damage was also pretty annoying. Good but would not fap again.
  52. Nov 14, 2014
    Hideo Kojima gave the fans what they wanted... to play with naked snake... this game got me through some tough times... and in my opinion it is the best video game i have ever played in my life... i really cant even put in words.. its an absolute masterpiece.. thanks konami for making the best video game ever.... :')
  53. Nov 21, 2014
    One of the best game's of all time, Metal gear Solid 3 is an absolute masterpiece, and is also my most favourite game of all time. The story and characters are both extremely gripping and fantastic, along with the voice acting. The gameplay is incredibly fun, realistic and has a ton of replay value as there are tons of secret and different ways to get through a segment. The graphics areOne of the best game's of all time, Metal gear Solid 3 is an absolute masterpiece, and is also my most favourite game of all time. The story and characters are both extremely gripping and fantastic, along with the voice acting. The gameplay is incredibly fun, realistic and has a ton of replay value as there are tons of secret and different ways to get through a segment. The graphics are fantastic for 2004 and still hold up today in the many HD remakes, along with the sound direction. In the end, this is just a fantastic, masterpiece of a game that honestly I cant find any problem's with. In my opinion, this is the absolute best game ever made, until Metal Gear Solid 5 that is :p Expand
  54. May 22, 2015
    I wanna start this review by saying that this may be the best game i've ever played, the compelling characters and emotional story are things i haven't seen in recent games, the gameplay it's incredibly addictive and good, the music is awesome, especially the main song (Snake Eater) and the main theme, the graphics are beautiful and the sound design is perfect. It's a really interestingI wanna start this review by saying that this may be the best game i've ever played, the compelling characters and emotional story are things i haven't seen in recent games, the gameplay it's incredibly addictive and good, the music is awesome, especially the main song (Snake Eater) and the main theme, the graphics are beautiful and the sound design is perfect. It's a really interesting game, and i must say, it's really a unique piece of art. You should be checking it out. Expand
  55. Dec 10, 2014
    It
    Is
    Epic
    In
    Every
    Way
    Possible
    The environment, the characters, the customisation, the new gameplay and much needed third person camera with the option to switch back to the classic camera, the new arsenal of weapon and the BIG Twist at the end. Kojima you sleigh devil will you ever stop out doing yourself
  56. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hideo kojima and his team guys can make miracles.I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it. Expand
  57. May 4, 2015
    The boss: "Today's enemy could be tomorrows hero".

When I reviewed sons of liberty, I called it the best game play and the best game ever made, until I played this game that I thought to myself; this is way better. The characters are remediable and there are so many villains in this game and there have they time to shine. Solid snake is a freaking bad-ass in this game, showing no
    The boss: "Today's enemy could be tomorrows hero".

The characters are remediable and there are so many villains in this game and there have they time to shine. Solid snake is a freaking bad-ass in this game, showing no pain but much awesomeness.
  58. Mar 25, 2015
    One of the best games of all time. It has an amazing story, great gameplay and a vast amount of ways you can play
    The mixture of stealth, action and survival just comes together so well.
    I would say this is a must play to anyone who can get there hands on it
  59. May 2, 2015
    Great game and it's very emotionally enveloping there was never a moment where I thought the game wasn't sad at a sad scene. Its soundtrack was amazing and I loved the way they did a traditional spy theme song with the song Snake Eater and in the end credits where they did a slight change on the Metal Gear Solid 2 theme song they made it sound fantastic. The gameplay was good with anGreat game and it's very emotionally enveloping there was never a moment where I thought the game wasn't sad at a sad scene. Its soundtrack was amazing and I loved the way they did a traditional spy theme song with the song Snake Eater and in the end credits where they did a slight change on the Metal Gear Solid 2 theme song they made it sound fantastic. The gameplay was good with an annoyance on the camera as it constantly fought with you. The bosses were great and had some of the most memorable bosses I still have a lot of respect for the boss fight The End as everytime it takes 15-30 minutes for me to beat him this boss battle is frustrating but is great at the same time. The controls are annoying but mainly because it difficult to aim in the first person which is the only real way you can aim and I felt it took me a few minutes to get used to the controls. The characters were excellent and memorable. Each character had a lot of character developement and because of this it made the characters a lot more relatable. Great game definitely worth a buy. Expand

When all is said and done, Snake Eater achieves what no other game can on such a level: complete immersion into an action-driven interactive movie.
  2. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best game of the year? Yes. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best in its series? No.
  3. There has never been, and will not be for a long time a more convincing and immersive game released.