8.3

1. Aug 31, 2013
    I feel as if Monster 4x4: Masters of Metal was just in the makings and the creators just gave up and gave us this. Is the game bad? No. I just feel it should have had a lot more. It would've been enjoyable if you had a battle mode. They didn't really seem to try with the character's design. Sure, they look funny, but when they were racing, they were 2-bit. The damage was decent, but it could... No, should have been improved. However, with the power-ups, it made the racing a little easy. The A.I also drive slow, they sound like they're repeatedly tapping the gas pedal. However, what they lose in speed, they make up for in aggressiveness. They also got lazy with the selection. All the racers seem to have a distinct monster truck, excluding Stadium mode and when you take their main monster truck, they use a different one. Sure it makes them easy to tell which character is who, but it would've been nice if you could choose which truck the A.I drives in. The controls to me were easy to control, except when you lose a tire and spin out of control. The levels are generally big, but sometimes it's easy to get lost in them. They tried to make objects you could destroy, but in feel, it doesn't really feel like your smashing things up in Monster Trucks, you feel like you're racing in a Monster Truck, but in a open world of different and unique things. The graphics are not too bad, I didn't have any problem with them. I guess the one thing that deserves a gold star is the music. I really loved listening to the music in this game, it really gave the feel of excitement. However, you had no control on which music you wanted to listen to. I also found the characters to be useless, because you don't hear them say anything when your controlling them. So basically, it felt less of a "Choose the driver you like the most", and more of a "Remove the A.I driver you find the most annoying" Another useless thing was the biographies. Who cares? Just take me to the racing. You're probably wondering, why do I not hate this game? Well, it's just silly fun. I really feel it should have been a little, heck, a lot better, but it's not awful.

To sum it up, I really feel this was a demo. I think if they polished it up, they could have made it a lot better.

Takes an amusingly bizarre sport and runs with it, but just doesn't run far enough. Even the power-up--laden off-road courses feel uninspired, with unremarkably physics and control, middling graphics, and a general air of boredom throughout the whole production.
  2. Sure, there's a little car crushing, but not wanton crushing, and that's what I want in a monster truck game. [Feb 2004, p.110]
  3. A decent racing game if you're into monster trucks and stadium races that are just over a minute long... Barely worth the effort. [Dec 2003, p.82]