8.3

1. Aug 31, 2013
    I feel as if Monster 4x4: Masters of Metal was just in the makings and the creators just gave up and gave us this. Is the game bad? No. I just feel it should have had a lot more. It would've been enjoyable if you had a battle mode. They didn't really seem to try with the character's design. Sure, they look funny, but when they were racing, they were 2-bit. The damage was decent, but itI feel as if Monster 4x4: Masters of Metal was just in the makings and the creators just gave up and gave us this. Is the game bad? No. I just feel it should have had a lot more. It would've been enjoyable if you had a battle mode. They didn't really seem to try with the character's design. Sure, they look funny, but when they were racing, they were 2-bit. The damage was decent, but it could... No, should have been improved. However, with the power-ups, it made the racing a little easy. The A.I also drive slow, they sound like they're repeatedly tapping the gas pedal. However, what they lose in speed, they make up for in aggressiveness. They also got lazy with the selection. All the racers seem to have a distinct monster truck, excluding Stadium mode and when you take their main monster truck, they use a different one. Sure it makes them easy to tell which character is who, but it would've been nice if you could choose which truck the A.I drives in. The controls to me were easy to control, except when you lose a tire and spin out of control. The levels are generally big, but sometimes it's easy to get lost in them. They tried to make objects you could destroy, but in feel, it doesn't really feel like your smashing things up in Monster Trucks, you feel like you're racing in a Monster Truck, but in a open world of different and unique things. The graphics are not too bad, I didn't have any problem with them. I guess the one thing that deserves a gold star is the music. I really loved listening to the music in this game, it really gave the feel of excitement. However, you had no control on which music you wanted to listen to. I also found the characters to be useless, because you don't hear them say anything when your controlling them. So basically, it felt less of a "Choose the driver you like the most", and more of a "Remove the A.I driver you find the most annoying" Another useless thing was the biographies. Who cares? Just take me to the racing. You're probably wondering, why do I not hate this game? Well, it's just silly fun. I really feel it should have been a little, heck, a lot better, but it's not awful.

To sum it up, I really feel this was a demo. I think if they polished it up, they could have made it a lot better.
  2. Gargantula
    Aug 2, 2005
    I can't believe that the critics missed the physics. What is fun here is the physics. If you love fun, semi-realistic physics then look no further. Further incarnations should prove to get better in every other aspect.
  3. LeviW.
    Feb 9, 2004
    The best game i ever played so real and fun.
  4. DarknessII
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great, great, great !!!!! Must buy it!
  5. DennisM.
    Dec 12, 2003
    Not worth buying new, maybe used. The camera angles suck! You get hung up behind things as well as the truck itself. Too much dirt and crap kicking up even when you are the only truck out there. You should at least be able to see where your going. Lastly, it almost seems like your driving on ice all the time. Slipping and sliding all over the place. The snow and ice covered tracks are Not worth buying new, maybe used. The camera angles suck! You get hung up behind things as well as the truck itself. Too much dirt and crap kicking up even when you are the only truck out there. You should at least be able to see where your going. Lastly, it almost seems like your driving on ice all the time. Slipping and sliding all over the place. The snow and ice covered tracks are ridiculous. Expand
  6. BasqboyA.
    Dec 9, 2003
    The critics suck this is a great game. It is tons better than the last one. I thinkk that those freaking critics can just shut up. Hey if it is fun then it is a good game. I don't understand why they gave it such a bad rating. Amazing graphics. It is just the game I was looking for.
  7. Cyparda
    Dec 9, 2003
    Good Game! Quite fun. Forget MJMD. That?s a REAL monster game. Much better than Monster Truck Madness. 80%!!
  8. ToolMan
    Dec 9, 2003
    Bad cameras. ugly characters. non configurable trucks. not a triple A title?. But it?s cheap and quite playable. I like it. It?s a decent racing game. 6/10
  9. Vampire
    Dec 5, 2003
    A fun game with good graphics. Critics sucks :P
  10. MaxK.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Yeah... the monster truck game I was looking for!!
  11. BobbyS.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Great graphics.
  12. AlfioP.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Cool!

#98 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003

Takes an amusingly bizarre sport and runs with it, but just doesn't run far enough. Even the power-up--laden off-road courses feel uninspired, with unremarkably physics and control, middling graphics, and a general air of boredom throughout the whole production.
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Sure, there's a little car crushing, but not wanton crushing, and that's what I want in a monster truck game. [Feb 2004, p.110]
  3. GMR Magazine
    A decent racing game if you're into monster trucks and stadium races that are just over a minute long... Barely worth the effort. [Dec 2003, p.82]