6.6

1. JoshH.
    Jun 5, 2003
    If anyone has played any of the previous NHL series games and liked them, DO NOT GET THIS GAME!!!!!! I got this the day it was released, and I was so excited, yet when I started to play, I had turned the game off within ten minutes, and put NHL 2001 in. The gameplay is horrendous compared to the previous NHL games, and the charecters and their respective animations look like puffy disney If anyone has played any of the previous NHL series games and liked them, DO NOT GET THIS GAME!!!!!! I got this the day it was released, and I was so excited, yet when I started to play, I had turned the game off within ten minutes, and put NHL 2001 in. The gameplay is horrendous compared to the previous NHL games, and the charecters and their respective animations look like puffy disney characters. The worst game I have bought in years, only surpassed by any of the WWF/WWE games. Expand
  2. BradC.
    Mar 23, 2003
    This game is probably one of the best games i own, bsides nba 2k3 and nfl 2k3....and i own all the newest games, whoever says this game is a less then 7 is crazy, if you do say that then you havent played it that much or your not a hockey fan....the graphics are amazing, and so is everything else....maybe try using the rangers, they have all expierenced players, and they have kovo, andThis game is probably one of the best games i own, bsides nba 2k3 and nfl 2k3....and i own all the newest games, whoever says this game is a less then 7 is crazy, if you do say that then you havent played it that much or your not a hockey fan....the graphics are amazing, and so is everything else....maybe try using the rangers, they have all expierenced players, and they have kovo, and bure....or the reason you didnt like it is because you couldnt beat the computer, keep tryin.. Expand
  3. AnthonyS.
    Dec 19, 2002
    NHL 2003 has the most realistic gameplay. Most of the aspects of this game are excellent so I will only list the things I don't like: The player's faces looked more realistic in NHL 2001. The repetitive, between whistle, views of the crowd's actions and corny dancing are annoying. The game also shows the players pushing, shoving and taunting each other after every single NHL 2003 has the most realistic gameplay. Most of the aspects of this game are excellent so I will only list the things I don't like: The player's faces looked more realistic in NHL 2001. The repetitive, between whistle, views of the crowd's actions and corny dancing are annoying. The game also shows the players pushing, shoving and taunting each other after every single whistle. This does not happen that frequently in real hockey. I liked the momentum meter better instead of the game breaker. I don't like the player cards option. To me, this is cheating and is not realisitc to hockey. (I guess I don't have to use it, right!) The only exception to the above are the celebrations and easter eggs which are kind of neat. Again, the above citicisms are minor. The game has the most realisitc gameply that I have ever seen. I have read reviews that the game is high scoring and not defense oriented. This is simply not true. The game forces the player to pay more attention to his defense than previous NHL games. Expand
  4. RafaelA.
    Dec 17, 2002
    I think this game is amazing. All the guyz that rated this game under 5 are dumbasses. ea sports gets better every year hopefully they will do better next year.
  5. AaronW.
    Dec 7, 2002
    This is the sweetest game ever. EA sports gets their NHL games better every year!
  6. Dustin
    Nov 3, 2002
    It's a spectrum like 2002. Lose every game or win every game based on the settings. Don't expect a close game. Manual Deke just slows it down.
  7. ZiggyStardust
    Oct 31, 2002
    I feel 2003 is a slap in the face to loyal fans of the NHL series. Additions of the "gamebreaker" and pop music during slow motion replays truly show how out of touch EA is with their fans.
  8. CharlesR.
    Oct 12, 2002
    Don't look for game story 2 or on the ice sounds... Beta testers forgot to tell executive that they forgot to turn them on. If you don't mind buying unfinished products, go ahead. First NHL game ever i sent back to the store after 1 week (since 91-92 on the genesis that is). Here comes Sega.
  9. RickG.
    Oct 6, 2002
    Seems to be a step or two back from last years edition. No online support this year either, drag... Let's all hope Sega's return next month with NHL 2k3 brings out the best in both companies as it has in the football videogame world...
  10. BlancoA.
    Oct 5, 2002
    A solid game, but I still prefer the elegant simplicity of NHL '94 on the Genesis.

1. There are only a few improvements to help distinguish it from NHL 2002, but these changes further increase the realism of what is considered the best hockey simulation on the market.
  2. Hockey fans looking for a major overhaul of this series won't find one, but that's not necessarily bad. [Dec 2002, p.46]
    The latest version of EA's yearly hit isn't the quantum leap ahead of last year's, but it's improved enough to keep it at the top, drinking from the virtual Cup.