8.6

1. Jan 20, 2013
    Great Graphics and its gets addictive. This is more of a strategy game than action game. If you button mash you will not win. I think they should have allowed more action. The herb mixing system is very fun. I almost have to print out a guide because I do not have good memory. The story is OK and the voice acting is awesome. Its not a full RPG experience though. The levels are all round circles...hence the Sphere. That was disappointing to me. This is probably the best Atlus game, since every other Atlus game I've tried I consider for retarded people (sorry). If you wanted streets of rage or devil may cry, you will be disappointed, but its an OK game and its pretty long. They could have made the levels more interesting. They could have also made the save system more apparent. Its a better than average game and you should probably get it if you have PS2. Its better than Persona and all those RPGs once you get the hang of it. Make sure you turn on easy mode though. Beautiful game so get it. Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2011
    Odin sphere is one truly rare gem, very unique gameplay, differentiating itself from most RPGs on the Playstation 2 with additional platform features bundled in a package fit for a RPG-Adventure fan. Odin Sphere brings in a story based upon the Norse legends of Old and brings in fantasy characters such as Dwarves, Fairies and dragons all into one storyline. Although the gameplay can become repetitive, fans will not shy away from the incredible artwork, music and storyline. Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2012
    I see what Vanilla Ware were going for, but the game just isn't that accessible or consistently enjoyable. You will die without grinding for the right items for the right rooms. You will die without grinding for the right amount of experience points. You will die for trying to avoid stockpiling healing items to cope with the tons of unavoidable hits. Odin Sphere is a farming-intensive game, plain and simple, and if not for the gorgeous production values it would have raked in mediocre scores from every reviewer around. Even the graphics manage to hurt it, as the PS2 version suffers from terrible, unforgivable slowdown and the worst load times since Shadowman. Frequently, restarting a level (which you will do, all the time, either because you died or you're grinding), means a 30-second load screen, skipping a cutscene, then another 30-second load screen. Between each stage's 7 or 8 areas are 10 to 15-seconds of loading, and each room then takes another 15 seconds to load enemies in. Coming into a battle ill-equipped, which also happens constantly and can make some battles literally impossible, means at least 5 minutes of sitting around staring at a spinning icon while you replay the entire level. This is far too frustrating to merit the slim chance of a smooth playthrough.

At the end of the day, Odin Sphere is fun very rarely, and only once you've mixed enough potions and slogged through enough repeats of the same dungeons to setup a perfect battle. That really disappoints me, too, because freed of all the limiting nonsense and flat terrain, the core game would revolve around solid 2D platforming goodness. I love to see experiments in game style, but originality can't hold its novelty when weak design keeps taking center stage.
  4. May 12, 2014
    Bottom 5 worst game i ever played. It is a side scroller rpg. What the hell. The same button is pressed to attack the animations are lame. There is almost no magic or anything cool about this game. I bought this in 2008 for $20.00 and i overpaid. Do not even let someone pawn this off you. It is so unbelievable that some people ever liked this game and it even got good reviews in game informer. I know by know that game informer is right about half of the time. I don't read them anymore. This game is worst than games that suck. Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2014
    Odin Sphere is hands down one of my favourite games ever made. While many see it as a 2d hack and slash the combat has a lot of depth. While some battles at first seem impossible with the right approach and equipment can become easy. The art is great with certain sections looking amazing. The only problem is you don't often get to look at it with so many enemies to deal with, but that is not really a bad thing.

Finally the story is my favourite part of the game, while it might seem like your usual world is in danger affair the story is deep with characters you will care about and perfect voice acting. I don't want to give to much away. If you don't like this game then you are officially banned from playing games ever again.
  6. Jul 30, 2014
    Odin Sphere is almost great. As in it's got everything to be great but falls short. In pretty much every aspect this game ends up feeling a little too clunky and unpolished to truly be a great game, but the spirit is there, that's for sure.

Combat is addictive and fun and never stops pushing you back to the wall. The swarms of enemies can be a load of fun to beat into a pulp and excel
    at giving you a sense of constant threat; Simply put, you're never bored with this game's combat.

The alchemy system offers great variety for fighting, healing and different powerups and options such has halving damage or unlimited power(which is necessary to attack constantly and not get tired). There is an insane amount of time to lose in trying every potion and finding the use of each of them.

Visuals are excellent and the music and general sound effects are very good too. The story is divided by the tales of five different characters, each of them bringing a new point of view on the world's events, and each of them being the protagonist in their own little story(none of them being short, it usually takes me 6 hours to finish any of them).

With that said, the weakness of this game shows up in every single aspect I just mentioned.

For the visuals, while the drawings and many animations are really good, some aren't, and it shows particularly with the cutscenes and the characters' mouth movements. It honestly looks poor. This isn't a big problem but it harms the attention I could give to the story if I wasn't so bothered by how unnatural some movements look.

For the story, the writing is all about the fantasy: characters speak like heroic fantasy characters and not in any way like real people. This has the merit of reinforcing the game's fantasy side, but it weakens the invidividual characters quite a bit since they don't feel very real. For a fantasy story it might not be a big problem, but it's told by portrayal of five protagonists.

None of these characters are bad BTW, but I can recall only one that I truly appreciated, the Pooka Prince. Rest ranged from eh to ok I guess. None shoned.

For the sound, it's ok. Really, I'm always very critical of music and I found this game to be ok, no more. Some themes get boring but never tiring. It's on the good side, but there isn't a song I would listen to out of the game.

Now for the two really bothersome aspects that keep this game from being great. While the elements cited earlier certainly harm the game, in my eyes especially because the story is one of the stronger points of this game, it's really the clunkiness of the combat and alchemy that give me a lot of trouble.

For the Alchemy, it's fairly simple: everything relies on you picking up different vegetables and items and mixing them together in a bottle. With one different potion for every letter of the alphabet, so you'll very often have to go back into the menu to see what potions you can make with one ingredients. That's a time loss.
    Then you have to take care of the mixing itself: pick an empty bottle, fill it up with certain items, and then add your final ingredient. Except it's terribly long to make. You go in the menu, select the bottle, select your first ingredient you want to sacrifice, and mix. The bottle falls on the ground. Pick it up, go in the menu, find the bottle again, select the second item, the bottle falls again.
    When you have to add 8 random items plus a final ingredient to make just one potion, that shouldn't take you to pick up the same bottle and re-select it 8 times!
    To say the least this is long and unpleasantly designed.

Then there is the combat. The biggest problem I have is the control. You will face enemies in midair that demand good jumping controls, which this game very sorely lacks. You'll press the button and do a huge jump, and then you'll tap the button and do the same jump. To attack an enemy just a little above you, you have to do this huge jump up and hit it on the way down, as the input lag can sometimes forget your command to jump if you press the attack button right after the jump button.

Some bosses such as Wagner or the sorcerers are outright dickish with attacks that are extremely hard to avoid if not impossible, or immediate teleportation as soon as you hit them. There is nothing more frustrating than constantly trying to just do a simple 4-combo attack and be surprised by a miniboss that literally teleports above you and deals a huge amount of damage. The crazy number of enemies in both normal fights and boss fights is the worst: sometimes, you'll get swarmed by literally 15 foes at the same time, and good luck dodging that with bad jumping and generally imperfect controls.

To sum up the combat, the biggest problem I have is that OS wants to be hard. It wants to be challenging with lots of monsters, bosses and very fast and varied patterns. But the control is just too clunky for you to face the challenge well enough.

An almost excellent game that lacks polish.
  7. Mar 27, 2014
    The visuals are gorgeous, the game is one of the most aesthetically pleasing titles on the PS2. The story is well written, the voice acting is decent, the mechanics feel satisfying, good replay value. New game plus RPG, so your character and items carry over when you start a new playthrough, that's a big bonus.
  8. Oct 13, 2014
    Best game from Vanillaware i played. Beautifull graphics, excellent combat system, cool cooking motive and overall a great atmosphere. I wish they made it accessible on my Vita, because it would be perfect to have on the go.
    Graphics 10/10
    Sound 10/10
    Gameplay 9+/10
    Verdict: Wayyy better than Dragons Crown, its one of the best games i played on my PS2. Strongly recommend it.

1. You can see that this game is a labor of love, which these days feels all too rare.
    With so much focus these days on polygons and lighting effects it is nice to see that some developers can still create a gorgeous experience using traditional methods.
    If there is one phrase that can cover just about everything Odin Sphere is about, it would be this: Odin Sphere has 2D sensibilities. If you remove the technological aspect of the game - not that you'd want to - you have a game that could just as easily been released on the Super Nintendo and ruled the hearts and dreams of fan boys and girls around the world.