8.2

1. Jun 21, 2012
    Movie tie-ins have never been a positive in my books. Although I do admit that before 2010, they were all I played; looking back, most of them were just mediocre rubbish. The only one of these games which I ever went back to playing and actually liked was King Kong, or PJKK:TOGOTM. The game was designed by Michael Ancel, who recently cemented my admiration with Rayman Origins. KK has the usual issues with movie tie-ins: the game is stretched despite being 5-6 hours long, several aspects are unrefined and and Kong segments are arguably weaker than the rest of the game. Throughout the game you control Jack, a screenwriter who is probably one of the only FPS protagonists who actually speaks. The story is bare bones: pretty much the film but with little exposition and less complexity. In many ways, King Kong is a survival horror: you are equipped with only the barest necessity of firearms and/or spears which you chuck at a variety of dinosaurs and giant insects. Pacing is an issue, just like the film, and within 5 minutes of landing on the island, you'll find yourself fighting your first boss monster. The interface is bare-bones too, keeping your attention on the action. What I've said may sound slightly negative: but trust me when I say that King Kong is perhaps the best movie tie-in you'll ever play thanks to its brooding atmosphere and engaging design; just don't expect much in story or complexity. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    It is repetitive for most of the game but it does have a great first-person shooter feel. The gameplay is pretty difficult. It does feel too long in the first-person mode.
  3. Oct 21, 2012
    I realy liked this game. somehow it was addicting to me. one of the best games i've played that was based on a movie. (although i hated the strange creatures that would jump at you and scare the crap out of you.)
  4. Apr 25, 2013
    For a movie license game,I was surprised with the quality of the game. Sure it isn't a triple A game...but it proves a game that isn't triple A can be good. The gameplay is your standard FPS shooter, with guns...and thankfully no humans with guns, until the end that is. Also the game does bring variety by letting you play as the gorilla himself, King Kong. There are numerous bugs and glitches in the game, and the AI isn't the greatest, but the game makes up for it with the experience, level design, and with funny glitches. This game brought me much entertainment and I still play this game every now and then. Expand

1. A stunningly atmospheric action-adventure that makes all the right moves. It is intense, scary, exhilarating and pure joy to play. One of the best games so far this year. [Nov 2005]
  2. King Kong is at once purely simple and utterly unique, showcasing bifurcated gameplay and an instinctual theme of survival. [Holiday 2005, p.62]
  3. With a rather abrupt final sequence it does seem to rush to its climax, but despite its brevity, this is an unforgettable trip through the realm of Kong.