Phantom Brave PlayStation 2

7.8

1. RoyJ.
    Jan 20, 2005
    This is the best RPG I've played in a long time. Instead of concentrating on a dramatic entrancing storyline like Final Fantasy, Phantom Brave creates depth in gameplay. Despite the dated graphics and the clumsyness of some of the gameplay this game proves to be rewarding.
  2. TryptoniteVancouver
    Sep 5, 2004
    I've logged just over 15 hours of gameplay on Phantom Brave so far. Once you get down the game mechanics which is easy if you've played any of Nippon Ichi's other releases, the gameplay becomes very in depth. Here's a quick breakdown: Story: N/A Won't comment on something like this until I finish a game. Graphics: The graphics for this SRPG is the most colorful I've logged just over 15 hours of gameplay on Phantom Brave so far. Once you get down the game mechanics which is easy if you've played any of Nippon Ichi's other releases, the gameplay becomes very in depth. Here's a quick breakdown: Story: N/A Won't comment on something like this until I finish a game. Graphics: The graphics for this SRPG is the most colorful and vivid of all NIS's games. Battle effects and sprite animation are well done. Gameplay:If you enjoy tactical combat and team management, you'll fall in love with the plethora of things to do. No-more grid system takes getting used to, but overall its been a positive addition. "Confine" system of managing your roster adds an excellent challenge to battles. Unlimited random dungeons generated is a must-have for SRPG titles and Phantom Brave does it well. Audio: Music is pretty good, but its basically similar to their past titles. Not quite as catchy/memorable as the Disgaea music. Voice audio for both Japanese and English is well done. My personal prefernce is Japanese, but surprisingly the English voice acting is pretty good when compared to the rest of the market. Tons of stuff to do and having your own little island that you can kind of customize with your "employees" is fun. Definitely an excellent addition if you've enjoyed Disgaea and La Pucelle. Even if you're new to this game and genre, try it out, you'll be hooked. peace Tryptonite Expand
  3. bunnymaster3000
    Jul 27, 2009
    I loved this game, not because of the story which was very mediocre but because of the gameplay and fighting mechanic. How you were not confined to little squares but instead had a full 360 range of motion, great art style too.
  4. WilliamM.
    Jan 22, 2005
    Nice game.

As for best in the pseudo-series, it's a tossup between this and "Disgaea," and will likely come down to a debate over the free-roaming battle system and the confinement system.
  2. Nippon Ichi strikes again with one of the most charming, creative, and fun games on the Playstation 2 this year.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    This mind-boggling sequel to cult hits "Disgaea" and "La Pucelle: Tactics" is easily the most overwhelming game I've ever played, with almost infinite aspects to consider. [Oct 2004, p.108]