8.7

1. Mar 8, 2011
    You are looking at a review for one of the best games on the PS2, it's enjoyable story, likable characters, and unique gameplay will keep you hooked from the moment you pick it up, the graphics are fantastic as is the sound, the controls are top notch, and it succeeds in almost every way, this is a must play that is just shy of perfection.
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    Fifteen years after the original Ubisoft released the revamped Prince of Persia in The Sands of Time which managed to maintain the charm of the 2D game whilst simultaneously creating something truly unique.

The game begins with the prince defeating Maharajah and then accidently unleashing The Sands of Time, an evil force that transforms the population into demons. Throughout his quest the prince has to traverse his fathers huge palace relying on his wits and acrobatic skills to avoid traps and enemies intent on his destruction. The controls for both movement and combat are virtually flawless and it quickly becomes second nature to throw the prince around the beautiful environment. The most interesting aspect however is that any mistakes made can be rewound (providing you have energy in the dagger) allowing the player to take ample risks and ensuring that a miss-timed jump is not punished by an instant death. This helps to make the game far less frustrating than it may otherwise have been.

During his travels the Prince also meets a beautiful but independent princess and their relationship becomes central to the plot and gameplay of The Sands of Time. On the odd occasion this can become slightly irritating, as the death of the princess during combat means having to restart that section, but overall their interaction is a joy to watch and helps make for a clever finale.

Two sequels have since been released and, while they certainly remove some of the frustrations of this first title, they also lack the charm and intelligence that The Sands of Time provided meaning this is still the pinnacle of the series.
  3. Feb 20, 2012
    For me, this is the pinnacle of the Prince of Persia series. Loved playing it. Rarely frustrating, always fun. I don't really remember thinking it was 'too easy,' with the exception of the last guy. It's been a couple years since I last played through this game, but I remember thinking he was too easy. Anyhow, that's not the worst thing in the world.
  4. May 20, 2014
    Awesome unique this game is jumping around and climbing except when the camera fails a bit. The graphics are awesome to watch the acting is impressive but short, the barely reaches five hours long very short for a adventure game so my sincere review is 8.000 out of 10
  5. Sep 8, 2013
    Blast from the past. I'm currently playing this on the Trilogy set for PS3, but decided to review them separately for the old consoles. PoP Sands of Time, is a good game. Good, but not great. The visuals for the time were outstanding, and even now they hold their own. The music and voice acting is very authentic and immersive and the platforming in the game is ridiculously fun andBlast from the past. I'm currently playing this on the Trilogy set for PS3, but decided to review them separately for the old consoles. PoP Sands of Time, is a good game. Good, but not great. The visuals for the time were outstanding, and even now they hold their own. The music and voice acting is very authentic and immersive and the platforming in the game is ridiculously fun and exciting. Now onto the bad. The story to the game is mediocre, alot of things aren't explained and for the most part it just doesn't stand out. The camera is nasty piece of work, for the most part its ok, but you find yourself constantly jumping to your death or getting cut up by enemies when it hits a wall and blocks your view. But you can rewind time you say? While a great idea, I barely used it unless I fell off a cliff. In battles, its near useless, it constantly resets itself after killing an enemy, and if your dying, which is often, don't count on it. The fighting itself is lackluster, basic mashing of a button, no innovation and enemies get progressively harder, and not in the challenging way. For the most part though it is a good game, one you can get into and enjoy, but expect to be frustrated ALOT. Expand
  6. Feb 11, 2012
    Truly awesome, there is no other word. Buy it, you will love it. The first instalment of a wonderful sweeping, adventure trilogy. The gameplay is wonderful, the story is an amazing arc that spans time.
  7. BobN.
    Mar 23, 2004
    The best game ever. Buy it now or U will suffer.
  8. SerkanK.
    Dec 4, 2003
    I know that i will be so sad when i finish this game. it is beyond of my expectations.
  9. ScottS.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Good game worth the money i spent,
  10. RogerS.
    Sep 25, 2004
    IS cool.
  11. AndrewS.
    Apr 11, 2006
    Easily the best game of the year and deserves all its praise the game is receiveing. Its my fav game of all time and should definitely be up for game of the decade.
  12. Jordan
    Nov 13, 2003
    It's a "must play" game.
  13. PhilJ.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Game of the year... superb graphics, lucious controls, cool action...just a superb game!!
  14. Jimbob
    Dec 1, 2003
    This is one of the most beautiful games on the ps2, the game is packed full of awesome gameplay, great game!!!
  15. TravisS.
    Dec 5, 2003
    This game kicks ass with the killer moves etc.
  16. RodneyS.
    Dec 6, 2003
    One of the best games I have ever played on the Playstation2. Smooth revolutionary gameplay was so good I had to walk away, grab a beer and smile while writing this. If you own a PS2, this game is a must for your collection! Back to the game =)
  17. BenCat
    Jan 2, 2004
    The best 1 player action adventure game of its time. The best in time controling games since Blinks.
  18. FernandoC.
    Jan 26, 2004
    Spanish Comment: Excelente juego, buenas gráficas, buen sonido... un comentario de que es repetitivo puede ser cierto, pero el juego es excelente en todo aspecto. Recomendadísimo....
  19. ChristianL.
    Jan 20, 2004
    This game is absolutely fantastic!! Great graphics, great plot, great,great, GGGRRREEEAAATTT! You should really buy it.
  20. JavierA.
    Jan 4, 2004
    Great game, the level of difficulty and the story is very interesting; awesome graphics and of curse cool sorround sound, can't miss this game, gotta have it!
  21. ConnerM.
    Feb 10, 2004
    The graphics and action are absolutely awesome, the sound not so good, the story could be better and a bit short. Still one of the best games of 2003.
  22. AndrewN.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Best damn game ever. Buy It or i kill you now do it! If ya don't have a console then buy one then buy this u damn b.tch!
  23. AndreB.
    May 13, 2004
    Prince of Persia is one of the best Adventure games of 2003. It simply is amazing. It takes full advantage of the capabilities of the PS2. It even has an unlockable classic Prince of Persia game.
  24. KennyB.
    Oct 26, 2005
    Good game not as good as warrior within.
    Feb 12, 2006
    Only good thing is great graphics. Long save point intervals, dozens of redos, button mashing, lack of stealth, unintuitive controls, fact that time reversal (cool concept if it were implemented correctly) restores you most of the time to when you have 1 health unit left, and confusing and tedious boss battles. Confusing is OK because it would mean challenging puzzles. When you add Only good thing is great graphics. Long save point intervals, dozens of redos, button mashing, lack of stealth, unintuitive controls, fact that time reversal (cool concept if it were implemented correctly) restores you most of the time to when you have 1 health unit left, and confusing and tedious boss battles. Confusing is OK because it would mean challenging puzzles. When you add tedious to the mix, then there's nothing fun about it. (I'm referring to the Sand King battle specificially). Main character's voice acting is annoying to say the least. After paying 19.95 for this, I literally threw this game in the garbage. Believe me, I've never done that with a game before. Don't waste your money on crap like this. Expand
  26. StevieB.
    Jul 9, 2007
    This is a very good game but it is VERY repetitive yet short. if you are good at tomb raider games you will complete this in 7 hours or less. even though the climbing and wall running gets very repetitive that part never gets boring it is the combat part that pisses you off as the fighting parts come up so often and last soooooooo long and what makes it worse is that the combat is not This is a very good game but it is VERY repetitive yet short. if you are good at tomb raider games you will complete this in 7 hours or less. even though the climbing and wall running gets very repetitive that part never gets boring it is the combat part that pisses you off as the fighting parts come up so often and last soooooooo long and what makes it worse is that the combat is not varied enough. you think someone who could wall run upto 30 feet could do more than just jump and stab during a fight!!!! if you are thinking about buying this DON'T! get tomb raider anniversary instead. that is platforming genius and i would give it 10 out of 10. Expand
  27. Dank0
    Nov 23, 2003
    Thumbs up! amazing level design, cool slow motions, good playability.
  28. LukeS.
    Nov 27, 2003
    It is a fantastic piece and is one of a kind!
  29. KyleK.
    Dec 14, 2003
    One of the best games i have ever played because it is an awesome adventurous game how you can turn back time freeze enemeis and run along walls. An absolute must get. Superb.
  30. JamesR.
    Dec 18, 2003
    It's ok, the only problem it is too short and easy. I expected much more from this game. Truly disappointing.
  31. ShawnS.
    Oct 22, 2003
    Amazing detail in graphics and the fun and exciting gameplay that Jordan Mechner has brought in the past. The controls are extremely smooth and the sound suits the game well. The rewind time feature of the game gives you the ability to fix your mistakes (such as falling off cliffs) or just see a cool move over again. With stunning graphics, awesome gameplay, intricate sound, and amazing Amazing detail in graphics and the fun and exciting gameplay that Jordan Mechner has brought in the past. The controls are extremely smooth and the sound suits the game well. The rewind time feature of the game gives you the ability to fix your mistakes (such as falling off cliffs) or just see a cool move over again. With stunning graphics, awesome gameplay, intricate sound, and amazing control I rate this game 10/10! Expand
  32. DustyvanB.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Awesome.
  33. MichaelK.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Much better graphics and control on Gamecube, plus bonuses for GBA-Gamecube linkup. Pass on this version.
  34. AJ
    Jan 12, 2004
    Bought this game after all the hype and great reviews. I have to say it didn't live up to the expections, but is still a good game. The graphics are definitely the high note that is on parr with or better than any other PS2 game. The game is pretty much split between action and puzzle solving. The story is also well done. Here is my complaint. I finished the game in around 9 hours Bought this game after all the hype and great reviews. I have to say it didn't live up to the expections, but is still a good game. The graphics are definitely the high note that is on parr with or better than any other PS2 game. The game is pretty much split between action and puzzle solving. The story is also well done. Here is my complaint. I finished the game in around 9 hours the first time threw and found it rather too easy. It is very repetitive in play. You will be doing the same things in the end of the game that you did in the beggining. Run on a wall to dodge saw blades, jump off walls and swing from poles. I became bored of all this after midway through the game and was even more disappointed to find nothing new or inovative in the later stages in the game. Just a bunch more pole swinging and saw blade dodging. The fighting parts are the same too. The enimies do nothing different some are bigger and stronger than others, but they do the same thing, so the fights get boring too. Expand
  35. KevinF.
    Feb 16, 2004
    Dazzling acrobats and swordplay abound. The only problem is that the game is pretty short.
  36. DeeFinn
    Mar 18, 2004
    1 point off for being too short, but probably the most playable game I've ever played. Fantastic.
  37. KarlK.
    Mar 22, 2004
    Best game i ever played! Although it's quite short, it's still a whole lot of fun. After playing POP, i had developed this habbit of comparing it to new games i am currently playing. No new game has given me the same thrill & excitement that POP offers until now. Also, it has really amazing graphics(down to the details). For those who are planning to buy this game, go ahead, Best game i ever played! Although it's quite short, it's still a whole lot of fun. After playing POP, i had developed this habbit of comparing it to new games i am currently playing. No new game has given me the same thrill & excitement that POP offers until now. Also, it has really amazing graphics(down to the details). For those who are planning to buy this game, go ahead, it's really worth your time and money! Expand
  38. DilainDeA.
    Apr 25, 2004
    This is the coolest game i ever played! best graphics and it's easy to play too. i recently finished playing it but i'm going to play it again cuz it's so cool. and i think the prince is so hot.
  39. PaulScottodiPompéo
    Jul 29, 2004
    I never had so much fun playing and replaying a game ever... Though the game can seem easy to people that have been playing for a while, even when you finish the game, you have to play it again because the graphics and the navigation is so brilliant... If you don't have this game in your repertoire, you're a loser... LOL
  40. EROD
    Aug 16, 2004
    I passed on this game when it was first released and I just picked it up for $20. The story and gameplay is amazing. This is one of the best action/adventure games ever. Buy it now, there is no reason not to, it's available at a budget price.
  41. EddieH.
    Sep 2, 2005
    The way all the reviewers went on about this game I was expecting one of the best games ever....it wasnt. It was slow moving. And the music was quiet while the dialouge was VERY loud, which was annoying. The story was bad and the graphics were plain. At least it was something new.
  42. DragonKnight
    Apr 27, 2006
    This is a great game. A masterpiece, the graphics are simply amazing and are filled with visual beauty, the sound is amazing and immerses you into the Prince's world. The way they made the Prince is exactly how you'd picture him, if you played the original Prince of Persia, it's obvious to see he's not a muscle-bound warrior, he's an agile trickster. Which is This is a great game. A masterpiece, the graphics are simply amazing and are filled with visual beauty, the sound is amazing and immerses you into the Prince's world. The way they made the Prince is exactly how you'd picture him, if you played the original Prince of Persia, it's obvious to see he's not a muscle-bound warrior, he's an agile trickster. Which is exactly how they portrayed him and exactly how most of us have probably envisioned him in 3D. The story, while nothing special, is pretty good. The camera work is phenomenal it follows you perfectly and you never have a single problem with it, I love it when it changes to give you a more cinematic look while not disrupting gameplay in the least. The puzzles are amazing and require you to think, and I love games that make me think. The combat is this game's weakest aspect, it's not all that fun, you get bored with it pretty quickly. Though it's too small of a gripe to knock it down a point. Buy it, you will not be disappointed. Simply beautiful. Purely and simply beautiful. Expand
  43. AndrewNeenan
    Jul 9, 2007
    Until this game came along, the platforming genre was sorely lacking. Most platformers had a gameplay mechanic that involved players collecting endless amounts of crap. Sands Of Time breathed new life into the genre. With its combination of smooth visuals and dynamic platforming, playing through it was a joy. The time reversal ability was a fantastic innovation. It was the only gameUntil this game came along, the platforming genre was sorely lacking. Most platformers had a gameplay mechanic that involved players collecting endless amounts of crap. Sands Of Time breathed new life into the genre. With its combination of smooth visuals and dynamic platforming, playing through it was a joy. The time reversal ability was a fantastic innovation. It was the only game where you could jump from one pillar to another while being about 100 feet in the air without a care in the world. As well as being one of the best lookers on the PS2, it has a great soundtrack and atmosphere that really draws you into the game. The only letdown to this princely title is the combat, which feels rather humdrum. While it can be enjoyable, its ultimately too repetitive. Still its a fantastic game and it rekindled my interest in the genre. Expand
  44. Jordan
    Nov 13, 2003
    It's a "must play" game.
  45. Rivk
    Dec 30, 2003
    It rocks! with practice mastering the moves are easy, the game however is not. It may seem that way to some people since you have the ability to replay your losing sequences at the last checkpoint but this game has alot of little surprises and I truly love fighting with the prince. He's got some of the best new moves I've ever seen in a character. anyone who picks this game up isIt rocks! with practice mastering the moves are easy, the game however is not. It may seem that way to some people since you have the ability to replay your losing sequences at the last checkpoint but this game has alot of little surprises and I truly love fighting with the prince. He's got some of the best new moves I've ever seen in a character. anyone who picks this game up is going to get hooked within 5 minutes! Expand
  46. DanielF.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Not a bad game...but not for everyone, i didnt really like it. its just an up to date tomb raider type of game but with poor controls...
  47. DragonKnightFinalFantasygod
    Dec 5, 2003
    Good, excellant, insane fighting system,wonderful graphics,supurb gameplay,great story,and perfect controls.My only real complaint is that is the time reversing power is a little slow besides that it's the one of the best games of it's genre I've played.
  48. JaredM.
    Jun 28, 2004
    This game is super cool.
  49. Luke
    Jul 25, 2005
    This game was good, dont get me wrong, but i finished it the first night i bought it. I suggest if you cant get it for $30 then rent it
  50. DerekF.
    Dec 15, 2003
    This game is one of the best games i have ever played but they should come out with a sequel with even better fight scenes.
  51. JeffL.
    Dec 18, 2003
    The best action game i have ever played.it gives all action games a good name.
  52. TylerPiccloW.
    Dec 26, 2003
    Its awesome the moves and battles are amazing the story line is just so cool and it really takes u in one of the best games ived played since devil may cry and kingdom hearts but a little short i just started and Im at 50% already but u know theres a 2nd.
  53. May 25, 2015
    This game broke the mould in so many ways. The graphics, the game play, the rewind. The character acting was great with a strong story and the music was memorable as I find myself singing some of the tunes and having some of the tracks show up on my playlists to this day.

The game is not too long but it is a deep storyline that you could play through at least twice. It's obvious

It's obvious the developers borrowed from ICO, but I don't mind. I don't mind a strong, evident influence as long as the final new work is a step in the right direction.

Game of the year!

1. One of my favorite games, ever...It's got story, it's got action, it's got amazing graphics and some of the best animation you'll see anywhere. [Dec 2003, p.166]
  2. Has the appeal of a 2D run-and-jumper and inflates the action to a surprisingly 3D world with a groundbreaking degree of fluidity.
    "Ico" with good combat and witty dialogue...I haven't played a better game all year.