8.9

1. Aug 11, 2014
    This is THE best action/horror game I have ever played and one of my all time favorites.
    The feature that makes it so special and unique is it's brilliant and memorable atmosphere which makes you really identify with the main character. The switch between action/horror/relief/tension building is perfectly done and leaves you in awe. I still play and enjoy this game today, when the nostalgia feeling hits me.
  2. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is beyond amazing. I've replayed and beat this game over 20 times. This game is very scary and intense. With new game play mechanics we didn't see in the previous installments, it was such a surprise. Even though this game didn't offer the boring slow zombies, it did offer amazing and scary new enemies. Very happy I've played this game during my childhood.
  3. Dec 3, 2015
    Bem, este game foi estrondoso, seja mudando completamente a franquia Resident Evil ou se tornando uma revolução para os games da época. O fato é que RE4 foi um bos maiores e melhores games já feitos. O que dizer dos inimigos, chefes, ambientação, trilha sonora impecáveis?! Jamais irei esquecer o que passei ao jogar esta obra prima do Mikami. Seu fator raplay é demais. Passar o tempo,Bem, este game foi estrondoso, seja mudando completamente a franquia Resident Evil ou se tornando uma revolução para os games da época. O fato é que RE4 foi um bos maiores e melhores games já feitos. O que dizer dos inimigos, chefes, ambientação, trilha sonora impecáveis?! Jamais irei esquecer o que passei ao jogar esta obra prima do Mikami. Seu fator raplay é demais. Passar o tempo, caçando tesouros, upando as armas com o Merchant é fantástico. A jogabilidade é perfeita e dá uma ampla liberdade ao jogador. Os puzzles estão presentes e são muito bem feitos. Mesmo com um enredo relativamente fraco, não dá pra diminuir os méritos do game. Sua qualidade é indiscutível! Se ainda não jogou, procure RE4 o mais rápido possível, versões não faltam pra isso. Expand
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    Best Resident Evil. I've ended on the Wii, PS2, and Xbox 360 7 times. Leon is beast. Those kicks he does are really impressive. There are so many unforgettable characters even from the previous games. They really out done themselves.
  5. Sep 13, 2014
    LEva a serie a novos horizontes utilizando uma nova formula. Sendo criticado por fugir da formula classica da serie é visto com um certo pre conceito pelos fas da franquia, o que é um erro pois é um excelente jogo e bem desafiador quando jogado no hard e com um curioso mini game de tiro e o mercador misterioso que aparece em todos os lugares. Bola dentro da capcom.
  6. Dec 27, 2014
    i swear to god. this game looks like a xbox 360 game or ps3 game. and it was released for the ps2. this game changed resident evil. for the first time this has changed in a good way. but re5 and 6 were bad. i mean 5 was fine but 6 was awful.

re4 was my favorite ps2 game of all time. it didn't looked like a ps2 game. it looked like a xbox 360 game. awesome enemies like the chainsaw and the generators which were scary as **** sometimes hilarious jumpscares from snakes. great story and voice acting. amazing weapons and Quick Time events.
  7. Sep 9, 2016
    I will never understand why Resident Evil 4 got all this praise. Although I played all of RE games and this was the first one I completed, all the horror from previous titles simply vanished. All that's left is an average 3rd person corridor shooter with quite nice setting. Really the best thing in this game was the rural spain and the grotesque enemies, especially rednecks and thisI will never understand why Resident Evil 4 got all this praise. Although I played all of RE games and this was the first one I completed, all the horror from previous titles simply vanished. All that's left is an average 3rd person corridor shooter with quite nice setting. Really the best thing in this game was the rural spain and the grotesque enemies, especially rednecks and this creature with the bag on its head. Resident Evil should be remembered for the original trilogy, not for this or the crappy movies. Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    my #1 game all the time Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is a landmark video game, no matter what system you play it on... Truly brilliant .............................................
  9. Nov 5, 2014
    This installment of Resident Evil changed a bit, and introduced more modern characters that move a lot faster, and it was a great update to a series that has been fantastic since Sega Genesis. This game does not disappoint and like all of the main Resident Evil's(Survivor not included) dominate the ratings. You'll enjoy this game until the very end. Also like all Resident Evil games,This installment of Resident Evil changed a bit, and introduced more modern characters that move a lot faster, and it was a great update to a series that has been fantastic since Sega Genesis. This game does not disappoint and like all of the main Resident Evil's(Survivor not included) dominate the ratings. You'll enjoy this game until the very end. Also like all Resident Evil games, expect to be spooked at some point or another, even myself which I rarely ever get spooked. Expand
  10. Oct 25, 2014
    The harbinger of survival horror's extinction in the Triple A scene. Shame, because it's not a bad game.

The game.. well, has a few jump scares and sometimes has a feeling of claustrophobia, but calling it a survival horror still feels wrong. More like a horrific action game. Anyways, the monster design is rather fun, boss fights are pretty varried, and your little companion doesn't get in the way as much as you'd expect, since you can basically just toss her in a bin and leave her there, and more than a few times she just randomly gets seperated from you for extended periods of the game.

So, yeah. The game can be pretty fun. I can't see the hype behind it being the greatest game ever, but gameplay wise it was certainly alot better than previous resident evils. However, the absolute abandonment of atmosphere in favor of it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. And the writing has never been very good in any resident evil, but 4 is what heralded the B grade hollywood action movie shenanigans. At least leon is painfully unfunning in every game he tries.

Anyways, the game is fun enough, but I'm a bit sour over what it brought upon. I wish its dialogue just wasnt so.. ugh.
  11. Oct 25, 2014
    Two words are going to explain this game:Intense and Amazing !!! Easily the best game of the franchise and my best game of 2005 with Gta:San Andreas for the PC.
  12. Nov 9, 2014
    Assieme a Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots e a Kingdom Hearts II,questo è il miglior videogioco che io abbia mai giocato in tutta la mia vita.Il migliore.
  13. Oct 7, 2015
    My favorite Resident Evil game, and I've been a fan since day one too. Although the zombies have been replaced, the cunning and creepiness this gem brought to the table makes up for staying with old and familiar. Beautiful game.
  14. Feb 3, 2015
    Best RE game of all time in my opinion (just few step ahead from RE2). You must play this game.
    Survival horror evolved thanks to this game, the third person shooting system just just awesome.
    It brought a new experience to the survival horror games. The story is pretty interesting, the characters are wonderful developed, everyone is interesting and has an important role in the game.
    It brought a new experience to the survival horror games.
    The story is pretty interesting, the characters are wonderful developed, everyone is interesting and has an important role in the game. The atmosphere and the enemies design are top notched for the PS2 console. It's a classic which will live through the time. Few of the games I will score as 10.
  15. Feb 18, 2015
    THE BEST OF THE BEST AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN THE BEST! one day I shall dig up the PS2 AS I wasted $20 on the Xbox 360 version and the controls SUCK ON THE Xbox 360 Version! (Or I'm just not as calm as I was when RE4 for PS2 Released! LOL! anyways PS2 VERSION FOREVER! one day I will get into it again! I just realized that it was the 10th anniversary for RE4 Last Month! Brings heavyTHE BEST OF THE BEST AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN THE BEST! one day I shall dig up the PS2 AS I wasted $20 on the Xbox 360 version and the controls SUCK ON THE Xbox 360 Version! (Or I'm just not as calm as I was when RE4 for PS2 Released! LOL! anyways PS2 VERSION FOREVER! one day I will get into it again! I just realized that it was the 10th anniversary for RE4 Last Month! Brings heavy emotions knowing how old this game is! STILL AMAZING! Expand
  16. May 21, 2015
  17. Apr 2, 2015
    I was very happy to discover this game for my console back in 2006. It was one of the first games I did play on PS2. I love the whole franchise, but this game is something special. The first game I saw PS2 new features like button combinations during cutscenes and vibro-effects. I liked the game so much that I completed it more then 10 times during one year. The plot is also interesting.I was very happy to discover this game for my console back in 2006. It was one of the first games I did play on PS2. I love the whole franchise, but this game is something special. The first game I saw PS2 new features like button combinations during cutscenes and vibro-effects. I liked the game so much that I completed it more then 10 times during one year. The plot is also interesting. And the music - wow! A masterpiece! Expand
  18. Jun 5, 2015
    um dos melhores jogos que ja joguei, é o melhor desde re 2. O jogo pode não conter mais aquele terror como nos anteriores mas pra mim ainda é perfeito
  19. Jun 30, 2016
    i dont really think that 5000 letters are enough to describe how perfect this game is !! if you have the chance to get it, JUST DO IT !!!! best game ever 1000000000000000000000/10
  20. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is the best game of the ps2 consol. I was so addicted to it. The graphics are wonderful and brilliant. This is my all time favorite game. If you dont have it get it. Trust me it is worth it. Expand
  21. Aug 3, 2015
    When reviewing RE4 there's really not many negatives to list which is why it's so high on most gamers lists. Many would claim this game marked the beginning of the ending for RE, but others like me say this is definitely one of the franchise's strongest points overall.
  22. Aug 23, 2015
    Probably the most boring RE game ever. Original RE atmosphere is gone. Plot is not bad, but not interesting either. Character design is good, Leon and Ada looks much better than in RE2. It's a bit too long, it gets really boring at the end.
  23. Aug 26, 2015
    Resident evil 4 is a masterpiece, the 2nd greatest game in the series. the graphics are stunning for the time, the cut scenes and voice acting are amazing. The game play is so much fun and very well paced. the game's level design is very similar to 2009's RE 5 but much more polished and more like the first 3 games in terms of style.A pretty long game with tons of extras and guns to tryResident evil 4 is a masterpiece, the 2nd greatest game in the series. the graphics are stunning for the time, the cut scenes and voice acting are amazing. The game play is so much fun and very well paced. the game's level design is very similar to 2009's RE 5 but much more polished and more like the first 3 games in terms of style.A pretty long game with tons of extras and guns to try keep the game long and fresh and never gets old.
    9.7/10
  24. Sep 1, 2015
    This one of my Favorite game of all time. This game had a new story, new gameplay, great graphics. The cutscenes were great . this Resident Evil wasn't like the previous ones. This was less Horror more action and more fun to play
  25. Oct 8, 2015
    I am usually not a big fun of FPS games, but I have to say, I love this game. This game reminds me of elegant old days, while gameplay is what matters.

+ The game is hard and challenging in a good way, you know you could do better next time, or check your suitcase come up with new strategy, or check the map to loot some treasures for cash, it forces you to explore the map, yet it is no way boring, I don't collect for trophy, I collect because I want to.

+ I love characters in this game, even Ashley. I think she is more realistic than Ellie.

+ The text in the game is very good, they offer you both information and some rest. I love it, first time I read every single text in a game.

- The control can be annoying sometimes, you can't move while aiming, that is fine, but you can't move while ready a knife, that is not cool, and the fact that you can't stun an enemy with your knife is also annoying while you get stun by every single hit from an enemy. You can't run while changing direction, what you actually do is stop, turn your face, then run again, it is annoying.

- QTE in this game is harsh as hell, actually is not Quick Time, it is super human reflex, it is really hard to perform a QTE unless you know you should perform a QTE, and the QTE button you have to push seems to be random. They even add QTE in cutscene, do you know how many times I put down the controller just realized there was a QTE so I picked up the controller yet didn't have the time to perform the QTE?

- Some enemies have way too many health, can be annoying if you don't upgrade your weapon correctly.

- Last boss doesn't have many phases, which is a let down, I was really hoping something more epic.

Overall, one of the best games I've ever played, give it some time to get used to the control you will love it.
  26. Sep 15, 2015
    One of the greatest games of all time. Although the PS2 version is the second most inferior version of the game (second only to the original PC port), it is still fundamentally the same game. As Resident Evil 4 has been ported countless times to various consoles, there is not excuse not to play it.
  27. Sep 25, 2015
    This is the best game for ps2, that I have played. I've unlocked everything, worked the glitches, everything and it is still fun to play after all of that, speed running is great. You beat the game once and your unstoppable if you have the cash for your reward that is. That's the only detractor I see, but then beat pro mode, then you really have done something. Unlock ablest don't carryThis is the best game for ps2, that I have played. I've unlocked everything, worked the glitches, everything and it is still fun to play after all of that, speed running is great. You beat the game once and your unstoppable if you have the cash for your reward that is. That's the only detractor I see, but then beat pro mode, then you really have done something. Unlock ablest don't carry over difficulties btw. If you beat the mercenaries with max ratings in all of them you get 1 hit killer for everything but the multi stage fights. My other bone on this game is that it set the stage for RE5, which wasn't a bad game it just wasn't RE. Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2015
    Horas y horas de juego ( me lo pase 11 veces ), ESPECTACULAR ...el primer Resident Evil que jugué y lo considero estar en el top 5 de los mejores juegos de la play 2 . Se puede decir la única cosa negativa era la historia que era muy sencilla pero todo lo demás era música celestial en mis oídos . ! MORIR ES VIVIR !
  29. Nov 22, 2015
    woooooooow this game can suck my weanus peanus. you play as this GOD DAMN..........PHAGGOT with like an emo haircut taking some blond bimbo calling out yor name every 10 seconds. pretty lame tbh, graphics suck theyre really pixelly and coudlnt tell what i was looking at and the zombies are way to op. kept getting chainsawd by that one stuped mexican and the game wouldnt tell me where towoooooooow this game can suck my weanus peanus. you play as this GOD DAMN..........PHAGGOT with like an emo haircut taking some blond bimbo calling out yor name every 10 seconds. pretty lame tbh, graphics suck theyre really pixelly and coudlnt tell what i was looking at and the zombies are way to op. kept getting chainsawd by that one stuped mexican and the game wouldnt tell me where to go. cant run and shoot at the same time WHAT THE FUG? smh
    COD zombies is way bettter than this honestly, super polished and less casualized, you can run while you shoot and do seet parcore. that game requries skills while resident evil is just artificial difficulty.

was my first and last resident evil, movies are way better that milla jewvavitch had some nice tataaaaaaas.
  30. Jun 29, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Years after the destruction of Raccoon City,wiping out any living creature and the virus with it and Umbrella finally finished,Leon S Kennedy,now a goverment agent is assigned to find the missing daughter of the president of the United States,who has been aducted by an unknown occult,her whereabouts was unknown until one day it was mention she was in a rural part of Spain,thats where the game begins.

You're in a village,trying to find someone to ask for Ashleys whereabouts,where a man violently tries to kill you with his axes...there you have no choice but to eliminate him...soon you realise the whole village is against you. What happened there? What happen to the villagers? Why they act that way? Only for you to find out.

This is the first game where the camera is behind you back,the graphics looks really awesome in this game,better than Resident Evil Code Veronica,you should see the cutscenes how lively the characters are,Leon is more tougher and good looking,Ashley looks ok,secondary characters look awesome too. The location is in the more rural part of Spain,the village,the church,a castle,a mine,an island,a laboratory etc all of them look terrific. The fire looks really real so real that if you get close to it you can get hurt,you can rum in the water too and use a speedboat as transportation,be careful,not all water area is safe.

The controls plays as always but more intuitive,meaning that they don't move as if they are tanks,they move more like humans,you can run,climb,shoot, kick and hit enemies etc. The variety of weapons is enormous,most of them have this lasersights which can be more easy to aim at enemies which mostly you want to eliminate them shooting them in the head. The boss fights are hard sometimes mostly cause they really hard but sometimes you'll have to use the enviroment to your advantage to gain success in your battles.

Whats new here are the quick time event which during scenes you will have to stay alert cause you will never know when danger is near,when you do know you will have to press the buttons really fast otherwise its game over for you especially the Leon vs Krauser knife fight,believe me,i had to try a few times to get it all right.

In this game its the first time where you can buy and sell stuff thanks to the merchant you find throughout the game,when you find him you can buy new weapons,a bulletproof vest,upgrade weapons for them to be stronger and you can sell precious items you find,in some of them you have to do a little mixing to other items so that they can have more value.

Lets talk about the moment you find Ashley,well Ashley is a damsel in distress where you have to protect her from enemies,you can give her simple instructions like wait so you can investigate the area,once you see that its safe tell her to follow you and she will,also you can tell her to hide if that option is avaliable. You will have to keep her close to you cause enemies can take her and if the enemy that takes her to a door its game over...it will be game over if she suffers damages. Also a new item is the yellow herb,it cannot be use by its own but if its mixed with a green herb or a green and red together,your health will grow each and each time you use a mixed herb with the yellow one cause both Leon and Ashley starts with short health. Those herbs can be use for Ashley as well.

Once you complete the game,a mercenarie mode is avaliable where you fight against a horde of enemies,you can pick Leon,Ada,Krauser,Hunk and Wesker.

For the ps2 which is the version im reviewing,a new scenario is avaliable called Separate Ways where you play as Ada Wong,you will play in her perspective,her objection is to find a sample for evidence,i figure you guys know shes playing in both sides here. You play exactly like in Leons scenario but Adas is much shorter and more easier than Leons.

Well i guess its safe to say that this is one of the best Resident Evil game yet but its not my fav,its has better gameplay and better graphics than all of the previous Resident Evil but i enjoyed the story of Resident Evil 2 & 3, But this is a long Resident Evil game and its story is also very cool and easy to understand. If your a fan of Resident Evil game or even no fan,you'll definately will have alot of fun with this one,sure the zombies are gone and the scare factor is not as high as the previous ones but still its not going to stop you for having a blast with this one...and who knows? Maybe its a good thing. Good work Capcom,hats off to you :D

#2 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. PSM Magazine
    Not playing through it from beginning to end would be missing out on a major milestone in gaming history, not to mention a hell of a lot of fun. [Dec 2005, p.70]
  2. Game Informer
    Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is a landmark video game, no matter what system you play it on... Truly brilliant. [Nov 2005, p.158]
  3. Play Magazine