Rogue Galaxy PlayStation 2

8.4

1. MatthewB.
    Jan 28, 2010
    Story starts off amazing. Your opinion of that changes 20 hours in, and after completing the 40 hour game you feel like you missed half of it. Combat starts off great. Skill system is interesting and handled in a nice way. 10 hours in, combat devolves to [pause] > [special attack]. 15 hours in, skill revelation system grinds to a halt due to items you have to go back to an earlier planet Story starts off amazing. Your opinion of that changes 20 hours in, and after completing the 40 hour game you feel like you missed half of it. Combat starts off great. Skill system is interesting and handled in a nice way. 10 hours in, combat devolves to [pause] > [special attack]. 15 hours in, skill revelation system grinds to a halt due to items you have to go back to an earlier planet and grind for an hour to retrieve. Characters are interesting though. Differing motivations, personalities, and they play off each other well enough. However, the scenes that make them seem interesting come off as annoying and ill-timed. I'd recommend you rent the game, play it through halfway, return it and imagine the rest. Collapse
  2. ZachJ.
    Jul 22, 2007
    From the beginning, I really liked this RPG. The battle system was good enough off the start, and the story seemed interesting. However, as I went along, this game just gradually made me start to hate it. Like, absolutely despise it. This game has the worst dialogue out of any RPG I've played. Ever. It's absolutely painful. I mean, if you think that Final Fantasy's stumbles From the beginning, I really liked this RPG. The battle system was good enough off the start, and the story seemed interesting. However, as I went along, this game just gradually made me start to hate it. Like, absolutely despise it. This game has the worst dialogue out of any RPG I've played. Ever. It's absolutely painful. I mean, if you think that Final Fantasy's stumbles along every once in a while, then you have no idea of what depths of crappiness lie in store for you here. The characters seem fake, the writing is terrible, and it sells the entire game short. Jaster is an awful main character, and all of his lines are crappy segues to the next dungeon or action segment. You know his entire personality within two minutes of dialogue from him (which is all of "leik OMG we have to help out people in need, i totalz want adventure, good is good and bad is not good") and he never changes once throughout the entire freaking game. They could've made so much more interesting characters here, but instead they chose to take the easy route and provide mindless filler between the boring dungeon segments. If you don't like anime-styled RPGs, do not get this game. If you don't like having to sit through hours of the worst cutscenes in RPG history, do not get this game. In fact, just don't get this RPG. In the end, it really is not worth it. I really wish I could say more for this game, becuase it had SO much going for it. The battle system is good! Like, really good! Why the hell did they have to muck it up by making the rest of the game terrible? In fact, the graphics, for a console that's successor has been out for almost a year now, are pretty freaking good! Why, Level 5? Why would you ruin what could've been an amazing game? Expand

#6 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2007
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2007

1. This is undeniably still a good, enjoyable and very pretty game. Nevertheless, at this time, from this developer, Eurogamer won't be alone in mourning the fact it's not nearer a perfect, staggering and beautiful one instead.
  2. Grinding out levels and looking for items is rarely this rewarding, and it’s obvious that Level 5 knows the depths of the role-player's mind all too well. Now if they could just hire a good writer.
  3. An RPG made for traditional fans of the genre. With a solid story, vivid and likeable characters, a vast, interesting world, and fun gameplay, Rogue Galaxy is simply a must-have for RPG fans.