Romancing SaGa PlayStation 2

8.0

1. TorlisB.
    May 30, 2006
    Romancing Saga is an awesome game and should definitely be played by all people who are big RPG fans, you won't be disappointed! The Battle system is awesome and different from other RPG's. IT ROCKS!
  2. Sep 23, 2011
    An excellent game. What it lacks in the story section it overcompensates by one of the deepest and greatest battle systems available for console. And it's a fun that' ll last you for at least 30+ hours!
  3. KevinS.
    Oct 21, 2005
    If you liked SaGa Frontier, you will almost surely love Romancing SaGa. It gives you the same sort of freedom and customization. Fantastic.
  4. BillC.
    Oct 14, 2005
    I really enjoyed this port of the classic Japanese RPG. The open world that you are free to explore is quite a lot of fun. The acting is very good for some of the main characters and a bit weak for a couple. But the replay value on the game is well worth purchasing.
  5. Dec 6, 2014
    There are few rpgs that I miss more than this game. It had beautifully composed music, the freedom to explore, and a wealth of characters that help develop the story. There may be some bumps and moments where you may want to walk away, but in the end, that very challenge is what makes rpgs into what they are.
  6. Sep 5, 2016
    Ministrel song to me was a breath of fresh air in 2006 and even now.

Ministrel song to me was a breath of fresh air in 2006 and even now.

Let me make it clear that this game is not appealing to the casual rpg fan. There is no clear progression, no direct narrative, no levels. You the player are thrown into this vast world with only the barest of information. Players will feel unfamiliar with the equipment, status, and mechanics the game offers to the player. Due to this, people turn away from the game and it is completely understandable. Even with an online guide and ingame guide, players can still be easily overwhelmed.

But there within lies the beauty of Romancing Saga. You pick one out of 8 characters, learn about them, and are thrown into this world. You can stumble into a random town and pick up a quest. Maybe you explore the sewers and discover the catacombs. The player is left to make any choice. where they go and what quest they chose to do or not to do is up them. This opens up so much to the player because of the freedom of choice. You and a friend could have experienced two different things. Maybe they picked up a quest you didn't, or perhaps you decided to do X quest first while they decided to explore.

There is no "Levels" in this game. Instead of that after "X" amount of Experience you get Stat up's. This is random, although every character have different growth rates (Character 1 might have a higher chance to get an increase of Strength then Character 2). This might come across as troubling for new players because it will eventually hard to gauge how strong you are. However by removing levels, the player is no longer restrained. Some area's may be more challenging to a player to the point of frustration, but it is always beatable (for most cases). Also 2 tip of advice.
    -The world and time advances with you (the stronger you get the stronger the enemies and the better quests). This means certain quest may become available the stronger you become, BUT at the same time you may miss quests. So keep in mind questing>grinding.
    -Tip #2. Stat's are crucial and important. Yes. But skils are just as, if not more, important. It's better to be specialized in this game than a jack of all trades in this game.

I would dwelve further into the system mechanics but it's a lot to go through. Just understand that the skills and game mechanics is very deep and requires a lot of getting used too.

Now the lack of narrative is also a main complaint of people who have played this game. I don't believe that is true. The game isn't only the story of you defeating some main villain. The story is within the quests itself and the tales told throughout. Some are deep and tell a deep tale, while some are short and sweet. These quests help build the culture of the world and its inhabitants. The best stories are always those you discover, not what you're shown.

The game's graphic was visually appealing on its release in 2006 and I still think they hold up today. Romancing Saga Minstrel song is a remake of the original Romancing Saga. Although they took a strange approach into the art and models of the character, I think it adds a very unique look.

The music for the game is something I loved when I heard and I still love to listen today. Simple and sweet.

In closing (and TL;DR). The game is challenging, complex, hard and confusing. But I promise you that if you put in the time to learn it, you won't regret it. It has replay value with new game+. The music is great. The story is unique and the gameplay is deep and fun. It's not for everyone but at the same time I think every jrpg fan has to play it at least once. In today's market where the game literally holds the player hand, this gave the player so much freedom. I've clocked in over 120+ hours and I don't regret a single moment of it.

#79 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

Moderately pretty graphics and average sound don't offset the labored frustration that follows playing this stilted title. [Nov 2005, p.146]
  2. The story isn’t worth a second of your time. A crappy story makes for a crappy RPG. Artistically Square Enix is on par with their top titles ("Final Fantasy," "Parasite Eve" and "Xenogears" excluded – they're still the best). But no matter what I do I can't get past the story.
  3. Romancing SaGa is ultimately a role-playing game without any substance.