Shadow Hearts: Covenant PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Sep 27, 2004
9.1

1. WalterN.
    Jan 3, 2007
    Simply the best RPG I've played. The FMVs and the story is near unmatched by most of today's new animes on all consoles. The gameplay is also very unique. Xenogears still remains the best ever.
  2. KatyG.
    Feb 14, 2006
    Awsome!I love it! I am trying to fight the jellyfish thing so I can get the book thing. But this game is just cool!
  3. Dec 13, 2012
    It took everything that made the first game great and made it better. While in principle it play very similarly to the first game not really adding too much new, that isn't a bad thing. The first game was fantastic so why change the formula. But the real star here is the narrative. The story is utterly gripping. Yuri's journey is really touching and dark (to be honest I nearly wanted toIt took everything that made the first game great and made it better. While in principle it play very similarly to the first game not really adding too much new, that isn't a bad thing. The first game was fantastic so why change the formula. But the real star here is the narrative. The story is utterly gripping. Yuri's journey is really touching and dark (to be honest I nearly wanted to cry by the end.) The rest of the companion characters are unique with fully flushed out characters (Joachim is just a laugh a minute.) The story and atmosphere aren't as dark as the first game but do have more depth and drama. If I had to mention one critique, it is that the relationship between Yuri & Karin plays out in a VERY similar way as Cloud & Tifa's from Final Fantasy 7. Again this isn't really bad, just noticeable. Overall: A terrific RPG that is just as good as the first one, if not better. Expand
  4. EduardoR.
    Nov 5, 2004
    One of the best RPG games I have played. Great graphics and awesome combat system.
  5. IgalV.
    Oct 29, 2004
    Quite possibly the single best RPG on the Playstation 2 in 2004. How many games do you have that take up 2 DVD's? Shadow Hearts: Covenant does. It's got gameplay, plot, characters, and music. Graphics aren't too shabby either, especially the movies. Highly recommended!
  6. N.Voegele
    Oct 8, 2004
    Wonderfully done, game graphics are great even on the old ps2, good sound that keep you wondering, only drawback a little old fashion, pulls from final fantasy where you are unable to see enemies. Mix final fantasy and star ocean and you have shadow hearts covanent.
  7. AndiH.
    Sep 10, 2004
    Awesome story, funny battle system, nice characters, fantastic atmosphere, good graphics, enjoyable soundtrack - actually one of the best rpgs I've ever played! It´s improved upon nearly every aspect of the original title! So, give Shadow Hearts: Covenant a try, even if you don't liked the first part.
  8. BelgianS.
    May 28, 2005
    Bad start, great ending! and repetitive in the middle but for some reason one of the best games ever.
  9. TommiK.
    Jun 20, 2005
    Simply awesome!
  10. SamiY.
    Sep 15, 2004
    F.....g awesome rpg ever played by the pro gamer like myself.
  11. JavaJive
    Jan 10, 2005
    Great game! One of the best RPGs i've ever played. The only RPG that rivals Final Fantasy Series. In fact, I liked this slightly better than Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2. Better characters and interesting storyline and good gameplay. Definitely beats Fable, Dark Cloud 2, Kingdom Hearts hands-down! Only RPG that's truly better is Chrono Cross (when are they making the sequel??!)
  12. KevinF.
    Apr 27, 2005
    Great game if you like the FF battle system. Graphics are great and the story line is great. A lot of exciting twists in the story and unexpected happenings. So get it...cuz i say so.
  13. Michael
    Sep 28, 2004
    If your like me, you didnt want to spend the extra money for the hard drive and a monthly fee just to play FFXI. So like me you missed out on over a years worth of playing an FF RPG type game. Well your wait is over. This game plays,looks,feels, and sounds like a FF style game. In fact youd almost think your playing the latest FF game. Ok so its a FF clone, but is it good? Graphics: 8 If your like me, you didnt want to spend the extra money for the hard drive and a monthly fee just to play FFXI. So like me you missed out on over a years worth of playing an FF RPG type game. Well your wait is over. This game plays,looks,feels, and sounds like a FF style game. In fact youd almost think your playing the latest FF game. Ok so its a FF clone, but is it good? Graphics: 8 Sound:9 Gameplay:8 Story:8 If you liked FFX, youll like this one to. Expand
  14. MarinaMa
    Dec 29, 2009
    I hate JRPGS. Let me just say that outright. A great deal of them are a pile of worthless freshly made cow manure. So when I saw a copy of SH:C, I was seriously doubtful of whether or not I should get it. I was pleasantly surprised. Sure it has some of the stereotypical JRPG elements, turn-based fighting, irritating character designs, 50 plus hours (lord). However, the Judgement ring I hate JRPGS. Let me just say that outright. A great deal of them are a pile of worthless freshly made cow manure. So when I saw a copy of SH:C, I was seriously doubtful of whether or not I should get it. I was pleasantly surprised. Sure it has some of the stereotypical JRPG elements, turn-based fighting, irritating character designs, 50 plus hours (lord). However, the Judgement ring actually made gameplay fun (something I've been harping on about on FF forever), and I found the story enjoyable. The characters, while cliched at time, are interesting enough once you ignore the stupid clothes they're all wearing. Luckily, I got this game earlier in the years, so it wasn't that hard to find. However, I've heard the game is pretty rare and expensive now so only the most determined will get this game. Seriously guys, if you've lost faith in JRPGS (or didn't have any to begin with), GET THIS GAME. It might make you think differently. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    I liked the battle system, the characters and the humour but SH Covenant pus new things to the SH Story, which just donĀ“t fit. It was also way to easy, probably the easiest game that I ever experienced. But it is still a good RPG with some memorable events.
  16. Nov 18, 2015
    Fantastic experience. One of the best JRPGs of all time imo. The real world atmosphere with a balance of dark and light-hearted themes make this a more than worthy sequel to the original!
  17. Aug 18, 2012
    This is an excellent role-playing game! Never has a game made me laugh and cry so much!! SHC is the total package. It has a compelling story with the perfect balance of funny and lighthearted to dark and mature. The characters are so endearing and funny, especially Joachim XD. The combat is also creative and fun! I can keep going on about how excellent this game is, but you'll need to seeThis is an excellent role-playing game! Never has a game made me laugh and cry so much!! SHC is the total package. It has a compelling story with the perfect balance of funny and lighthearted to dark and mature. The characters are so endearing and funny, especially Joachim XD. The combat is also creative and fun! I can keep going on about how excellent this game is, but you'll need to see it to believe. SHC is the best RPG for the PS2 since Final Fantasy X!! Expand
  18. Oct 4, 2012
    Gems like these presents the ultimate jrpg experience, the combat system is unique just as much as the story telling. The atmosphere present in the game is unparalleled.
  19. Nov 11, 2013
    One of my favorite RPGs of all time. Story is great. Wide range of characters. I don't believe I've ever enjoyed a story so much. They added quite a bit of comedy with some characters. Battle system is more than just clicking through menus. Makes the battle system engaging and entertaining. There are options to increase or decrease some functions of the battle system for those whoOne of my favorite RPGs of all time. Story is great. Wide range of characters. I don't believe I've ever enjoyed a story so much. They added quite a bit of comedy with some characters. Battle system is more than just clicking through menus. Makes the battle system engaging and entertaining. There are options to increase or decrease some functions of the battle system for those who want more or less of a challenge. Monster design in the Shadow Hearts games are amazing. Creepy monsters all with lore. Plenty of side quests, and difficult battles for completionists. Expand

#40 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2004
#19 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2004

1. Shadow Hearts is not a short game by any means, as it will take normal gamers anywhere from thirty to forty hours to complete.
    Its style is like no other, and the mechanics behind battles are rock solid.
    It's balanced to near-perfection, and manages to pack very few slow moments into a few dozen hours of gameplay. Sure, it's not a Square-Enix title, but you'll be surprised at just how good this game is.