9.0

1. Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure what was harder, the bosses or the camera. You have to dance with your fingers to get the angles perfectly or you go falling 50 feet. All you do is fight about a dozen huge monsters, then the game ends. Woopdy doo. Feels more like the world's slowest boss rush mode. V
  2. Apr 4, 2011
    The perfect example for why originality does not translate into quality. The game is a cinematic platformer. I really don't need to say anything else, but I'll at least elaborate. The game starts, you run across a field, climb some ledges, and find your first colossus. You start off by grabbing onto his foot and stabbing him in the ankle 10-20 times. Then, he finally hunches over, so youThe perfect example for why originality does not translate into quality. The game is a cinematic platformer. I really don't need to say anything else, but I'll at least elaborate. The game starts, you run across a field, climb some ledges, and find your first colossus. You start off by grabbing onto his foot and stabbing him in the ankle 10-20 times. Then, he finally hunches over, so you can climb up and stab him in the ass 20 times. Repeat this pattern for about 10 minutes, and you just beat your first colossus. Repeat that for a few hours, and you beat the game. Collapse
  3. Jun 10, 2012
    After 20 minutes of playing this game, I had to quickly turn it off, run to my computer to search for spoiler reviews perhaps explaining that Ico was playing a trick on us all explaining this was only a horse riding simulation game or perhaps the weeks winning lottery numbers are displayed... But what do I read instead? The absurd truth that this game really does consist of four keyAfter 20 minutes of playing this game, I had to quickly turn it off, run to my computer to search for spoiler reviews perhaps explaining that Ico was playing a trick on us all explaining this was only a horse riding simulation game or perhaps the weeks winning lottery numbers are displayed... But what do I read instead? The absurd truth that this game really does consist of four key ingredients- rock, horse, awkward running character, and 'collosi.' Even funnier are all the flamboyant, exuberant exclamations clearly from guys unaccustomed to actual art as their vision has been blurred from the terrible games they are playing. As a female, allow me to illuminate, the Shadow of the Collosus is not art, or a game. How could anyone possibly stake that claim when Bethesda created vast expanses of playble art long before ICO's failed experiment. Expand
  4. Apr 10, 2013
    Wow. This game is bad. I have no idea what all the fuss was about. I tried to play it twice once on the PS2 and once again on the PS3 when the collection came out. There is nothing interesting going on here you ride a horse and climb on top of a couple of big monsters. I think i would have more fun watching someone play a bass masters fishing simulator.
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    I know I will be in a definite minority, but I'm writing this review to help provide a more accurate picture of this game for those gamer who need usable controls to play a game. Shadow of the Colossus is a unique game with a VERY beautiful aesthetic. BUT the camera is so atrociously bad as to make the game unplayable. It makes any attempt to play the game an exercise in frustration.I know I will be in a definite minority, but I'm writing this review to help provide a more accurate picture of this game for those gamer who need usable controls to play a game. Shadow of the Colossus is a unique game with a VERY beautiful aesthetic. BUT the camera is so atrociously bad as to make the game unplayable. It makes any attempt to play the game an exercise in frustration. It's always attempt to move itself back to where "it" want to be, not where you need it to be. Just trying to walk up a winding path along a mountain side takes extreme patience. Otherwise you'll step off the ledge and drop down. Sometimes killing yourself accidentally. And when you get into a situation where it REALLY matters, like attempting to climb to where a colossus is located, or even worse, in the middle of a battle, a single erratic jump of the unpredictable camera can mean an hour of battle time is lost, and you have to start from scratch (including the frustrating climb to reach the colossus in the first place).

Bottom line: Unique and distinctive game. Just be ready to deal with the hideous camera.
  6. May 18, 2014
    Let's get the good stuff out of the way first: The graphics are impressive-ish for the PlayStation 2 and the controls are somewhat manageable when your cameraman isn't having a seizure. Oh, and you have a horse.

Now that that's over, let's get to this absolutely atrocious mess of a game. This game mainly consists of Boss Battles. Twelve of them. Then the game ends. That's it. Of course, that's going to take you anywhere from 10-100 hours depending on whether or not you actually know what you're doing, because each boss is controller smashing-ly, tv-bashing-ly difficult for no apparent reason, with absolutely no indication given whatsoever of what to do and the boss having an insanely high health bar. You can only destroy each boss by doing an extremely specific set of actions that require perfect timing and quick fingers, if you can figure out what those actions are in the first place. And, instead of each boss, or "colossus" having multiple ways to defeat, the game is constantly cramming its linearity down your throat, only being able to go to any given place when it wants you to, and only being able, like I said before, to defeat bosses in a certain way. And even then, you need perfect timing, as every boss has undodgable attacks (which are mostly undodgable because your character moves so darn slow) that happen every time you go within a certain range of the boss, and these attacks take away anywhere from a quarter to all of your health away.

Now for the story: One cutscene! Yay! One cutscene that has nothing to do with anything you do in the story whatsoever! Because that always makes sense in an adventure game (if you can call this linear garbage an adventure game). This would honestly be forgivable if any other part of the game were any good.
  7. Apr 4, 2011

1. If you can appreciate artistry in games, if you hanker for an experience that transcends genre, if you want to see what happens when a creative design team is allowed to ignore sales numbers and flavor-of-the-month trends, by all means bring yourself into Shadow's world. [Oct 2005, p.98]
  2. A truly unique experience that inspires emotions in a way few games can. It has its share of problems, but I love it just the same. [Oct 2005, p.130]
  3. It's unlike anything else you've ever played, and so you may love it or you may hate it. Count me firmly in the "love" boat. [Nov 2005, p.142]